iPod touch vs iPod classic (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base

Sutty -> iPod touch vs iPod classic (15/7/2012 8:37:11 PM)

I'm looking at getting one of these in the next couple of days. Which is the better?
And can you down load movies on to either of these as well as music? Any info that can be offered would be great!

Super Hans -> RE: iPod touch vs iPod classic (15/7/2012 9:08:45 PM)

I think they both do video, although obviously the Touch has a bigger screen for it.

I've never had a classic iPod to be able to give a full, hands on comparisson but I'd say if you want to carry more of your music around, the classic is far better value for money storage-wise. Also, if you're not bothered about games and apps, the classic is probably best bet.

I've got an iPod touch and love the web browser and apps, but the downside is that as it gets older, less of the new, fun app stuff works on it. For example, I'd quite like to download magazines and use iPlayer on mine, but it's a generation too old for that now. I'd say iPhone/Android phones are better for the apps side of things, as it's more plausible to get a new, up to date phone every year or two than it is to buy a PMP.

Sutty -> RE: iPod touch vs iPod classic (15/7/2012 9:18:55 PM)

so can you download movies on the touch? Is it as simple as downloading cd's in that you pop in the dvd to your laptop and go from there?

Super Hans -> RE: iPod touch vs iPod classic (15/7/2012 9:34:04 PM)

I've never really done it much if I'm honest, but I think as long as you have the software required to rip a DVD, you can then use free software such as Videora to convert it into the necessary format for iTunes/iPod to recognise it and copy it over to the device. Same goes for stuff you've downloaded, you just need Videora or what-have-you to convert it.

I think it's easier with non-Apple deivces that accept more formats and you can transfer media without the use of dedicated software - but then if you want an iPod, you want an iPod!

directorscut -> RE: iPod touch vs iPod classic (15/7/2012 9:36:07 PM)

Creative Zen
iRiver
Cowon

All are more versatile, user friendly and better value than anything Apple puts out.

Sony and Samsung are also supposed to be good but I haven't tried one of theirs yet.

Super Hans -> RE: iPod touch vs iPod classic (15/7/2012 9:43:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Creative Zen
iRiver
Cowon

All are more versatile, user friendly and better value than anything Apple puts out.

Sony and Samsung are also supposed to be good but I haven't tried one of theirs yet.

I had a Creative Zen a few years back and had a lot of problems with it crashing/freezing - not sure if it was just a dodgy model though, when it worked it worked well.

I can imagine Samsung Android ones are well worth a look though!

gingerdaniel -> RE: iPod touch vs iPod classic (16/7/2012 9:26:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

I'm looking at getting one of these in the next couple of days. Which is the better?
And can you down load movies on to either of these as well as music? Any info that can be offered would be great!

Yes you can put movies on both.

I've got an 80gb classic that i've had for around 4 years, i love that all my music library fits onto it and i can stick a few episodes of the simpsons on there for the occasional bus/train journey. I wouldn't watch a movie on it, but 20/30 mins is bearable.

Coincidently i've got a 512mb original shuffle, a 4th gen 40gb the 80gb one mentioned, iphone 4 and ipad 3. So i'm pretty much set for media consumption!

The ipod touch seems like a good idea if you want to stick a few apps on there and use that functionality, but i think if you're just listening to music go for the normal ipod. You could find the ipod touch filling up with large apps and reducing valuable space for music.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: iPod touch vs iPod classic (23/7/2012 11:33:52 AM)

Stupid thread made me go out and get a 160gb Classic. [:D]

I had several Sony MP3 players, and I loved the sound out of them. But the software was just a bitch to use, I have a great speaker system that was designed for an iPod, which works with the Sony line-in but I don't like that and I wanted a lot of music in one place. The iPod is sucking in about a third of my collection (40gb pretty quickly and easily). Gonna take it for a test drive at lunch as I also treated myself to a pair of Klipsch headphones.

Chief Wiggum -> RE: iPod touch vs iPod classic (23/7/2012 11:52:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sutty

so can you download movies on the touch? Is it as simple as downloading cd's in that you pop in the dvd to your laptop and go from there?

No, definitely not as easy.

You can buy them from Itunes which is simple, if you buy new Blu-rays you can often find "triple-play" deals which has blu-ray, DVD and a Download code from Itunes.

To get your existing DVDs you'll have to rip them (HandBrake is good for this) and then transcode them to the correct format (MP4 if you have an american aunt a lot of TV shows are now in Mp4 already). I remember doing this a few years ago and it needed a lot of planning, as the transcoding took hours (as in I would set the transcoding up, go and do something else, go to bed, go to work come back and it was done) but that was on a shitty computer I had at the time.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.320313E-02