Top Hitchcock (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

Whistler -> Top Hitchcock (14/7/2012 1:49:43 PM)

1. North By Northwest
2. Psycho
3. Strangers on a Train
4. Vertigo
5. Rear Window
HM to everything else he did.

Your top 5?

impqueen -> RE: Top Hitchcock (14/7/2012 2:34:14 PM)

Right now at this moment in forum history…the below are in my Favourite 100.

Vertigo
Rear Window
Notorious
The 39 Steps
North by Northwest / The Birds

elab49 -> RE: Top Hitchcock (14/7/2012 2:43:46 PM)

My favourite is Shadow of a Doubt.

The others tend to move about. Except from Vertigo, where I seem to be a bit out of step.

Rinc -> RE: Top Hitchcock (14/7/2012 2:50:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

The others tend to move about. Except from Vertigo, where I seem to be a bit out of step.

Same with me. I'd have quite a few over it.

Might give Hitchcock's films a rewatch over the summer.

elab49 -> RE: Top Hitchcock (14/7/2012 2:57:39 PM)

I had a lovely time watching a live stream of the BFi restored The Ring last night (with live music) - I've been tempted to do the same. I've barely watched any for ages - just a couple of the silents for the pre-30s list.

adambatman82 -> RE: Top Hitchcock (14/7/2012 3:36:41 PM)

quote:

I had a lovely time watching a live stream of the BFi restored The Ring last night (with live music) - I've been tempted to do the same. I've barely watched any for ages - just a couple of the silents for the pre-30s list.

The Ring is amazing, I only watched it recently tho, so only jumped in for bits last night. The Lodger is screening all over the country next Saturday, in a live sync with the premiere of the new restoration and score.

I too am doing a big Hitch re-watch this summer. I'm actually attempting them all (minus the lost).

Oh, and my top five -

1. Shadow Of A Doubt
2. Vertigo
3. Frenzy
4. North By Northwest
5. Rear Window

elab49 -> RE: Top Hitchcock (14/7/2012 4:01:06 PM)

The Nitin Sawney score? I'm hoping to see that one. I'd love a copy of the score from last night too - I don't think it always felt quite perfectly in sync, but it was a fabulous piece of music.

I didn't realise you were a fellow lover of Shadow of a Doubt [:)]

adambatman82 -> RE: Top Hitchcock (14/7/2012 6:46:41 PM)

quote:

The Nitin Sawney score? I'm hoping to see that one. I'd love a copy of the score from last night too - I don't think it always felt quite perfectly in sync, but it was a fabulous piece of music.

Yeah it's the Sawhney score, I'm really looking forward to seeing it. I can't find a list of satellite screening venues, but there are plenty of them, and all over the country too. I'm presenting it in Derby, as a part of a series of silent film screenings that I curate.

I'm not sure what the plans for home release of The Ring are, but The Lodger is getting a 3-disc set in September, which includes the score on CD alongside a Blu-ray and DVD, but that's being handled by Network (The Ring is a Studio Canal property). Here's hoping it gets a similar release, as The Ring is the far superior film in my opinion.

quote:

I didn't realise you were a fellow lover of Shadow of a Doubt [:)]

Yeah, a big fan! It's probably in my top 10 films of all time actually. I'm hoping to catch it during its theatrical run at the BFI in September/October.

elab49 -> RE: Top Hitchcock (14/7/2012 7:03:54 PM)

It's in my all-time top 10 too  [:)]

matty_b -> RE: Top Hitchcock (14/7/2012 7:20:16 PM)

1) Strangers on a Train
2) The Birds
3) Vertigo
4) Rope
5) Psycho

Toast -> RE: Top Hitchcock (15/7/2012 12:02:01 AM)

1. Rear Window
2. The 39 Steps
3. Vertigo
4. Rope
5. North by Northwest

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Top Hitchcock (15/7/2012 12:21:56 AM)

1. Rear Window
2. North By Northwest
3. Psycho
4. Notorious
5. Suspicion.

Rebecca, Shadow of A Doubt. The Lady Vanishes, the 39 Steps, Frenzy, Rope, To Catch A Thief, Strangers On A Train and Lifeboat would all probably be next.

Harry Lime -> RE: Top Hitchcock (15/7/2012 12:25:51 AM)

01. Vertigo
02. Strangers on a Train
03. The Lady Vanishes
04. Rear Window
05. The 39 Steps

Rhubarb -> RE: Top Hitchcock (15/7/2012 2:02:59 AM)

01 Rear Window
02 Psycho
03 Rebecca
04 North by Northwest
05 Strangers on a Train

Vertigo would sit just below. Suspicion would make the cut if it weren't the final bit - in fact it'd be top 3 that aside. The Birds, Notorious and Dial M for Murder would probably make up the next five.

I have not seen the Lady Vanishes still, I should rectify this.

rawlinson -> RE: Top Hitchcock (15/7/2012 2:05:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I have not seen the Lady Vanishes still, I should rectify this.

You should, it's amazing.

Dr Lenera -> RE: Top Hitchcock (15/7/2012 3:16:19 PM)

1/ Vertigo
2/ Rear Window
3/ North By Northwest
4/ Strangers On A Train
5/ Marnie

Ultimo Lee -> RE: Top Hitchcock (19/7/2012 12:03:08 AM)

OOh wow, glad i have this one worked out already.

1. Rear Window (1954)
2. North by Northwest (1959)
3. Dial M for Murder (1954)
4. Rope (1948)
5. Strangers on a Train (1951)

I'll stop myself from thinking and just walk away.....................

before i start thinking about Shadow of a Doubt..............................

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956).......................................

To Catch a Thief..........................................

Psycho................................................

Marnie.......................................

Coyleone -> RE: Top Hitchcock (17/10/2012 1:56:21 AM)

I'm currently in the process of watching Hitchcock stuff. I've only seen like 5 Hitchcock films altogether, and two I can't really remember because i saw them years ago. Anyway, recently watched Rear Window, Vertigo and North By Northwest.

NBNW and Vertigo were both absolutely fabulous, and both would maybe make my top 10 of all time list if I had to guess right now. Rear Window was also great but a step below the others. The other two I saw years ago were Psycho and The Birds, but yeah, I don't recall much about them at all and my tastes have changed drastically since then.

Right now, I'll say North By Northwest is my favourite, just pure class in every way. One of the most enjoyable films I can recall ever seeing. Vertigo is right behind it though.

Rebel scum -> RE: Top Hitchcock (17/10/2012 7:25:18 AM)

1-North By Northwest
2-Rear Window
3-The Birds
4-Strangers On A Train
5-The 39 Steps.

Though I have loads of his stuff still to watch.

Jackie Boy -> RE: Top Hitchcock (17/10/2012 7:19:52 PM)

I never tire of watching his films. Here's my top 5.

Vertigo
North By Northwest
Psycho
Shadow Of A Doubt
The Lady Vanishes

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Top Hitchcock (19/10/2012 1:51:15 PM)

Good to see imp and Gimli have enough taste to nominate Notorious. For me it's that followed by:
North by Northwest
Sabotage
The Lady Vanishes
Rear Window

matty_b -> RE: Top Hitchcock (19/10/2012 2:06:35 PM)

1) Strangers on a Train
2) Psycho
3) The Birds
4) The Lady Vanishes
5) Rear Window

chambanzi -> RE: Top Hitchcock (22/10/2012 1:37:24 AM)

Just out of interest has anyone who rates North by North West watched it recently? I remember loving the film when I first saw it but on a re-watch I found it cheesy in the worst possible way. Also the romantic scenes are very cringe. I would honestly say that it is nothing special, not just by Hitchcock's standards but in a general sense. Unlike some of his other works it doesn't look good by today's standards either.
It seems like a bog standard James Bond.

Whistler -> RE: Top Hitchcock (22/10/2012 2:50:49 AM)

I just realised I misspoke slightly in my OP. I give an HM to almost everything else he did, but there are a couple I'm not overly fond of.

quote:

ORIGINAL: chambanzi

Just out of interest has anyone who rates North by North West watched it recently? I remember loving the film when I first saw it but on a re-watch I found it cheesy in the worst possible way. Also the romantic scenes are very cringe. I would honestly say that it is nothing special, not just by Hitchcock's standards but in a general sense. Unlike some of his other works it doesn't look good by today's standards either.
It seems like a bog standard James Bond.

I watched it earlier this year and it's still just as great as ever. Each to his own, I guess.

Timbzy -> RE: Top Hitchcock (22/10/2012 7:16:12 PM)

Rear Window is my favorite.

fairyprincess -> RE: Top Hitchcock (27/10/2012 11:32:25 PM)

1) psycho
2) marnie
3) rope
4) trouble with Harry
5) frenzy

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI