Dredd (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Dredd (12/7/2012 9:12:35 PM)

Post your comments on this article

warren7355 -> (12/7/2012 9:12:35 PM)

Great to see so many positive vibes for this across the net, but lets be honest, of all the people that go on and on about The Raid, how many have actually seen it?! I guess less than 10%, but people love a bandwagon.

mofs -> (12/7/2012 9:45:17 PM)

Is this the earliest review for a film ever? It isn't even out until September! If it's ready for release now do it dammit.

jackcarter -> shouldnt it be.... (12/7/2012 9:45:25 PM)

"Just as it was virtually impossible to watch Prometheus without unbidden thoughts of AvP, so it goes with Dredd and The Raid..."

if it wasnt for The Raid would it have got an extra star? - if so maybe that could be in the review - 'add an extra star if you havent seen The Raid'

UTB -> RE: shouldnt it be.... (12/7/2012 9:55:45 PM)

Glad I haven't seen The Raid yet.

indysgill -> RE: shouldnt it be.... (12/7/2012 10:01:33 PM)

I am happy with the Empire review, this io9 review also is positive.

http://io9.com/5925364/dredd-is-a-brutal-action-flick-with-both-a-high-body-count-and-a-brain

sauchieboy -> The Raid? Really? (12/7/2012 10:38:46 PM)

While I agree that no-one judges films in isolation, it would have been worth pointing out that Dredd had been in post-production for months by the time cameras even started turning on The Raid- especially in a review that makes such a great deal of comparing the two films.

Different genres, different stories, different time-settings and VERY different characters seem equally worthy of mention, and mean there's a greater degree of difference between this Dredd and The Raid than there was between the two versions of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

More people watched and enjoyed the English language version of that story (with the bigger budget and stars)- I'd expect the same to be true of Dredd.

elab49 -> RE: (12/7/2012 11:39:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warren7355

Great to see so many positive vibes for this across the net, but lets be honest, of all the people that go on and on about The Raid, how many have actually seen it?! I guess less than 10%, but people love a bandwagon.

I'd question your basis for the guesstimate on figures - but even taking that on board I'd assume that Empire reviewers were among that 10% so know whereof they speak. As has been discussed elsewhere, it's not like The Raid is the only one with that base set-up anyway [:)]

If it's finished enough for the Comic-Con showing and reviews, it does seem something of a wait till release. Surely it would lose some of its review led head of steam?

Spaldron -> RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! (13/7/2012 12:18:27 AM)

Its a bit early for the review isn't it? The film isn't out till September.

And of all the sites to move away from using The Raid comparisons I figured Empire would be the one but alas no, which is not only a shame but as Hewitt suggests he would look on the film more favourably had this been released first which I find very unprofessional. So the judgements on this film are based on preference of another with an identical plot which was just lucky enough to get finished and released before Dredd? Yes that makes sense. [8|]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! (13/7/2012 12:25:32 AM)

I don't see the problem - if the Raid hadn't been released before Dredd then Dredd would have looked fresher. But it wasn't and he isn't a robot a you do take that baggage in with you.

To put it another way, were people easier on Snow White and the Huntsman because they didn't like Mirror Mirror? And is that unprofessional?

dreddhead -> RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! (13/7/2012 12:36:25 AM)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that although The Raid was a good film and an amazing achievement for such a low budget enterprise, the film was far from exceptional and I'm afraid that by the end I had real chop socky fatigue, coupled with that the film had very few engaging characters.
Dredd already looks better on paper because, well it's got Judge Dredd in it and the addition of having the female rookie Anderson creates someone the audience can identify with.
I suspect you can add a star to this rather stuffy review.

And I intend to see Dredd multiplel times, while The Raid was a one watch film for me.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! (13/7/2012 12:38:40 AM)

Man named dreddhead believes Dredd will be a better film than The Raid.

All the news that is fit to print!

Spaldron -> RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! (13/7/2012 1:36:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Man named dreddhead believes Dredd will be a better film than The Raid.

All the news that is fit to print!

No waaaaaaaaay it cant be him can it? [sm=ohmy.gif]

directorscut -> RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! (13/7/2012 2:40:11 AM)

That bad, eh? Two whole stars worse than Attack of the Clones? Is that even possible?

willy2fly -> Fair enough Empire? (13/7/2012 4:09:40 AM)

From what ive seen of the trailer and read via the online pipeline, this is an honest review. I get the feeling the writer is a fan like us die hard 2000AD Dredd headz. The comparisons to THE RAID are unavoidable. However, i urge EMPIRE to bump the review up to 4 stars instead of 3. Consider this, DREDD was in development long before THE RAID and if Urban's performance is as strong and there is as much to admire as you say then an additional star will help the non believers and unfamiliar support this film with their cinema £ when it's released. We all want to see Dredd and it's new imagineers play in a wider, bigger budget sandbox and an additional star will go some way to convince those who look to EMPIRE for their weekly cinema choice. I want, Dredd headz want it and it seems EMPIRE wants it too. Whats a star between fans EMPIRE? Go on, do it for the good points and lets get DREDD the bigger, better sequel it will only get if more show it the credit and return it deserves. If the elements to get right are right as u say, support with 4 stars and make a difference. DREDD 4EVA. I AM THE LAW!!!!!!

willy2fly -> Fair enough Empire? (13/7/2012 4:09:44 AM)

From what ive seen of the trailer and read via the online pipeline, this is an honest review. I get the feeling the writer is a fan like us die hard 2000AD Dredd headz. The comparisons to THE RAID are unavoidable. However, i urge EMPIRE to bump the review up to 4 stars instead of 3. Consider this, DREDD was in development long before THE RAID and if Urban's performance is as strong and there is as much to admire as you say then an additional star will help the non believers and unfamiliar support this film with their cinema £ when it's released. We all want to see Dredd and it's new imagineers play in a wider, bigger budget sandbox and an additional star will go some way to convince those who look to EMPIRE for their weekly cinema choice. I want, Dredd headz want it and it seems EMPIRE wants it too. Whats a star between fans EMPIRE? Go on, do it for the good points and lets get DREDD the bigger, better sequel it will only get if more show it the credit and return it deserves. If the elements to get right are right as u say, support with 4 stars and make a difference. DREDD 4EVA. I AM THE LAW!!!!!!

dragon_irl -> Chris Hewitt or Ian Nathan? (13/7/2012 8:22:07 AM)

Whose your mentor Chris?

dragon_irl -> Chris Hewitt or Ian Nathan? (13/7/2012 8:22:08 AM)

Whose your mentor Chris?

Happy Shrapnel -> RE: Chris Hewitt or Ian Nathan? (13/7/2012 11:06:54 AM)

Can't wait to see this !

elab49 -> RE: Stop comparing it to The Raid! (13/7/2012 11:19:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I don't see the problem - if the Raid hadn't been released before Dredd then Dredd would have looked fresher. But it wasn't and he isn't a robot a you do take that baggage in with you.

To put it another way, were people easier on Snow White and the Huntsman because they didn't like Mirror Mirror? And is that unprofessional?

And if it hadn't been Raid there are, as has been noted, other films to compare it too. It just happens to be The Raid is the most recent and the easiest to point to. The point, however, reads to me that the set-up isn't all that fresh but they still seem to have really enjoyed the film, so the film is more than just the basic furniture - and the stars are based on this. The specific film compared to seems to be a bit of a red herring - but I'm guessing one that many posters in this thread may hang on to as the reason for the lack of the 4th star.

danielthompson99 -> Looking forward to this (13/7/2012 11:37:42 AM)

Couple of things the first film did do well ; The Angel Gang, The CGI city and Hershey (hubba hubba!)

PearceyHUFC -> BORING! (13/7/2012 12:08:52 PM)

Here we go again, another 3 star review for one of the biggest films of the year. U was spot on with Prometheus but wrong about Spider-Man! Deserved 4 stars! You could be right about 3 stars but it's just a recurring theme. Make it stop.

elab49 -> RE: BORING! (13/7/2012 12:15:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PearceyHUFC

Here we go again, another 3 star review for one of the biggest films of the year. U was spot on with Prometheus but wrong about Spider-Man! Deserved 4 stars! You could be right about 3 stars but it's just a recurring theme. Make it stop.

Isn't this slightly absurd? How can Empire make it stop - talk to the studios. [:D]

I'm intrigued this is considered one of the biggest films of the year, though. Is Dredd really that major an anticipation outside a small, very vocal and very passionate group?

horribleives -> RE: BORING! (13/7/2012 12:32:00 PM)

quote:

It's posts like this that kept me well away from the Spiderman thread and have ensured I won't be going anywhere near the Dark Knight Rises one.

Whistler -> RE: BORING! (13/7/2012 12:39:44 PM)

quote:

This makes no sense. You're saying Empire should've rated this differently just so it wasn't the same as a few of their last reviews? What would be the point in the star system if it was just based on variation?

Rgirvan44 -> RE: BORING! (13/7/2012 1:11:14 PM)

quote:

Let's break this comment down

- Empire have given Dredd a three star review. You do not agree with this based on something.
- However you acknowledge that they were right to give Prometheus a three star review.
- However you feel that Spider-Man should have had 4 stars instead of 3.
- You then say it is a recurring theme.
- You ask for it to stop.

So are you saying that Empire should have given Prometheus 4 stars despite the reviewer feeling it was a 3 star...because you don't like 3 star reviews?

Do you see how this doesn't make sense?

Cameron1975Williams -> I haven't seen The Raid, I watched a 3 min clip before its release and... (13/7/2012 1:22:19 PM)

...it bored me. It was 3 mins! Anyway, I am looking forward to this. Kar Urban was excellent in Star Trek.

Cool Breeze -> RE: I haven't seen The Raid, I watched a 3 min clip before its release and... (13/7/2012 1:44:15 PM)

Didn't think much of The Raid so im confidant Dredd will be much better.

Rgirvan44 -> Draidd (13/7/2012 1:46:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Didn't think much of The Raid so im confidant Dredd will be much better.

Or you could come out not liking both?

leroythemasochist -> Raid looked crap anyway (13/7/2012 2:09:42 PM)

boring high kicks and machetes. whatever.
been a dredd fan since the 70s so loving the gritty take.
i actually like a big slam bam gut busting old fashioned shoot out.
not a fan of dizzying camera angles either.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI