Jack Reacher (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films

Empire Admin -> Jack Reacher (11/7/2012 12:28:32 PM)

Post your comments on this article

earnest -> cruise makes great movies (11/7/2012 12:28:32 PM)

Dont care about toms brainwashed personal life,he hasnt killed anyone.
The guy makes great moves and dose alot his own stunts.Cant wait for this one.

rich -> RE: cruise makes great movies (11/7/2012 12:45:57 PM)

Looks amazingly mediocre. Fan rage over casting is fun though.

Lord Midas -> Nothing wrong with Cruise movies (18/7/2012 12:56:27 PM)

Most of his film are ace. Why should anyone care about his personal life, or whether he's a Hubbardologist.

One thing though, I'd've liked him to have a deeper voice for this role. But as a shit kicking hardass I hink he suits the role nicely.

filmfanatic123 -> RE: Nothing wrong with Cruise movies (26/7/2012 6:38:48 PM)

I love the books and I think the casting is completely off kilter.

Why they've given Cruise the Reacher role is beyond me, it's made for Liam Neeson in my eyes.

Hell, even Tom Hardy would have been a good choice!

battler171 -> Great books and will make a great movie but... (1/8/2012 8:56:11 PM)

I love Tom Cruise but he is totally wrong for this role. Jack Reacher is described as Reacher is 6' 5" tall (1.96m) with a 50-inch chest, and weighing between 210 and 250 pounds (100–115 kg). He has ice-blue eyes and dirty blond hair.

film man aidy -> RE: Great books and will make a great movie but... (31/8/2012 4:10:52 PM)

I didn't agree with Cruise's casting either, but will reserve judgement until viewing.
Am surprised that Hugh Jackman's name hasn't been thrown around more. He's got a much more appropriate physique, has good presence, and is a fine actor.. So Jackman for the reboot in three years or so....

mtak1968 -> What on earth were you thinking (1/9/2012 6:29:46 AM)

Who on earth thought Tom Cruise would make a good Jack Reacher? What a dolt. Have you not read the books. Let's face it for those who think Tom Cruise makes good movies totally your opinion. It DOES NOT mean he should be in the role of Jack Reacher. Strong, tall, rugged, well built, rough and ready - definitely not Tom Cruise. The Rock, Hugh Jackman even Steven Segal would have been better choices. Fan of the books. Won't be bothering with the movie purely based on who is playing Jack Reacher.

Flower -> (16/9/2012 8:37:39 PM)

JUST finished reading my first Jack Reacher novel, 'Worth Dying For' couldn't put it down! Was quite excited to see there was a movie made, only surprised it didn't get picked up sooner. But gutted to see Cruise in the role - so so wrong. Physically, this is a joke surely? Yeah he's ok in most of his movies but I had exactly the same "What??" reaction when he was cast in 'Interview with a Vampire' (read all those books too) Hollywood is just a big fat cliche of itself, don't pay attention to a novel's details, just get the big names to fill the roles. I'll probably wait for it to hit Sky.

danielthompson99 -> Who on earth thought Tom Cruise would make a good Jack Reacher? (21/9/2012 1:28:52 PM)

He did apparantly. And so did Lee Child, after considerable ammounts of dollars changed hands, and Tom bought the rights.
It's his baby now, to mess up as he sees fit.
Hey, X-Men had a 6ft Wolverine, "Jack" Reacher has a 5ft midget. All he needs is a bunch of 4ft bad guys, or some Hobbiton style cinema trickery and we are laughing.
Otherwise I believe we are going to be sold short.

BRBDG -> (24/9/2012 7:43:34 PM)

The last person I would have thought to be cast as Jack Reacher would be Tom Cruise What a disappointment and a sellout! Hard core Reacher devoteees will not be among the viewers of this movie. Not only is Tom Cruise not physically intimidating, but he does not look like he can process a simple thought. Shame on you Lee Child!!

suz32 -> Cruise as Reacher - AWFUL (30/9/2012 5:07:47 PM)

I have read every one of Lee Child's books and this is one movie I will NOT see - Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher - are you kidding me? He's short, small, sissy looking and high voice and not at all like the Reacher in the book - how totally disappointing. Bruce Willis, Liam Neeson and a few others - Cruise is the LAST person I would have picked.

samanthastevens -> HOW COULD YOU????? (30/9/2012 5:28:19 PM)

What in the world was Lee Child thinking when he casted Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher? It has to be $$$$ not character integrity. The ideal actor is Jim Caviezel! That's who I picture as Jack Reacher as I read Mr Childs fantastic books. I will continue to read his series but as far as the movie is concerned, I will just stay home and read.

Bad Ash -> RE: HOW COULD YOU????? (1/10/2012 2:27:14 PM)

The film looks shit anyway - regardless of whether Cruise is the star or not! Seen it all before! If anything, Cruise might just make it watchable. Might........

HessischFJ -> (8/10/2012 1:36:47 AM)

Reacher is 6 foot 5. Cruise is 5 fot 6. Cruise trying to pull off Reachers attitude and behaviour will come across as someone with little man syndrome. He doesnt have the stature to pull it off. I dont truly dislike Cruise as an actor but he is simply not the person to fill the shoes. I recently just saw a show with jim caviezel who is 6 foot 2 and who while is not quite as large as reacher I think would look better than cruise as well as being able to bring off his personality. I think the name of the programme was person of interest. I think putting graham norton in as reacher
would have worked out better than cruise. Now I guess there will be 2 hobbit movies coming out now. I have read every book and while I would have loved to have seen a reacher movie I will not be seeing this because in the end it is not in spirit a reacher film.

HessischFJ -> (8/10/2012 2:00:57 AM)

Reacher is 6 foot 5. Cruise is 5 fot 6. Cruise trying to pull off Reachers attitude and behaviour will come across as someone with little man syndrome. He doesnt have the stature to pull it off. I dont truly dislike Cruise as an actor but he is simply not the person to fill the shoes. I recently just saw a show with jim caviezel who is 6 foot 2 and who while is not quite as large as reacher I think would look better than cruise as well as being able to bring off his personality. I think the name of the programme was person of interest. I think putting graham norton in as reacher
would have worked out better than cruise. Now I guess there will be 2 hobbit movies coming out now. I have read every book and while I would have loved to have seen a reacher movie I will not be seeing this because in the end it is not in spirit a reacher film.

Timon -> RE: (18/10/2012 9:55:43 AM)

Come on people. In an ideal world Ray Stevenson would have been cast as Jack Reacher! However there is a reason we're not movie executives as that film would have made no money.

Lee Child has stated that he thinks the Cruiser has done a great job and who am I to argue with the man? Cry and beat your chests about how he's sold out, but at the end of the day, there's no actor that looks like how JAck Reacher is described AND has enough box office clout to make it a hit.

Personally, as someone who's read about 2/3 of the books, I think it looks great fun.

musht -> RE: RE: (18/10/2012 12:57:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Come on people. In an ideal world Ray Stevenson would have been cast as Jack Reacher! However there is a reason we're not movie executives as that film would have made no money.

Lee Child has stated that he thinks the Cruiser has done a great job and who am I to argue with the man? Cry and beat your chests about how he's sold out, but at the end of the day, there's no actor that looks like how JAck Reacher is described AND has enough box office clout to make it a hit.

Personally, as someone who's read about 2/3 of the books, I think it looks great fun.

Well said!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxAKFlpdcfc

I haven't read the books at all but it always amuses me how angry people can get about these little things. Craig is blonde, Cruise is short, etc

jobloffski -> RE: RE: (18/10/2012 1:54:10 PM)

Stevenson was cast as The Punisher, but the film is fucking gash, plus a studiously slavish theft of the cinematography and Lighting of TDK. Good casting, bad film. He's given much more space to exude an air of 'dangerous' in the new series of Dexter than in the rather Reacher-like Punisher, so bottom line is, actor almost becomes irrelevant if the material isn't up to it. What remains to be seen is how the content of Jack Reacher plays out onscreen. Whatever people think of Cruise, it;s not as if he doesn't really go for it to act against his basic type sometimes.

Timon -> RE: RE: (18/10/2012 2:57:08 PM)

Punisher: War Zone is the 21st century's Commando.[:D]

I stand by that.

jobloffski -> RE: RE: (18/10/2012 4:01:53 PM)

Yes. It has no underpants. It is commando. That's why I can see it's balls[;)]

Opinion v opinion, the war that would wage itself forever, if we let it[:D]

Considers starting a line in adding online post snippets to posters as 'review quotes'...

Punisher: War Zone: "...fucking gash..."
"...21st Century Commando..."
"...made we want to hold a funeral service for the art of cinema that has just died before my very eyes..."
"...now I know there truly is a God...of Kickass Films!!!"

Note: second two quotes made up for effect...Caveat, I love plenty of stuff that would make other people say things like, if I want to see insipid dogshit, I'll feed my dog curry and follow him around [&o]

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: RE: (19/10/2012 8:24:53 AM)

Cruise is such a hulking badass. Oh wait

The Hooded Man -> RE: RE: (19/10/2012 1:07:25 PM)

The not remotely physically imposing and not that tall Michael Keaton was cast as the physically imposing and v tall Batman and that didn't work out too badly did it? I've read the Reacher books and I am glad they've hired a quality actor for the role than a wooden muscleman a la Vin Diesel. Would he be my first choice, not at all, but I'll reserve judgement until seeing the film.

Timon -> RE: Jack Reacher (19/10/2012 1:13:29 PM)

I'm trying to gauge where Tom Cruise/Jack Reacher goes on the Outraged Casting Scale...

Daniel Craig is James Bond

Michael Keaton is Batman

Tom Cruise is Jack Reacher

Hugh "an Australian stage singer!?" Jackman is Wolverine.

Bottom

musht -> RE: Jack Reacher (19/10/2012 4:31:16 PM)

quote:

I'm trying to gauge where Tom Cruise/Jack Reacher goes on the Outraged Casting Scale...

Michael Keaton is Batman

Bottom

I was too young at the time, was there an outrage when a woman was cast as M?

Timon -> RE: Jack Reacher (19/10/2012 6:35:08 PM)

Not really, because at the time a woman was actually head of the security services - Stella Rimington.

directorscut -> RE: Jack Reacher (19/10/2012 11:51:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

quote:

Michael Keaton is Batman

Bottom

I was too young at the time, was there an outrage when a woman was cast as M?

It wasn't the fact that she was a woman but rather the sour, bitter, fun-sucking vampire Judi Dench that caused peopel to groan.

Vadersville -> RE: Jack Reacher (20/10/2012 10:24:45 AM)

Heath Ledger is The Joker. I remember that getting stupid amounts of outrage.

paradigm69 -> Hemsworth for Reacher, Cruise for Parker (9/11/2012 1:03:31 PM)

Meh - they did get it wrong. Chris Hemsworth is flavour of the month and the right height and build for Reacher. Tom Cruise could have brought Charlie Parker (form the excellent novels by John Connolly) to the big screen, he fits better for that character.

film man aidy -> RE: Hemsworth for Reacher, Cruise for Parker (27/11/2012 10:32:07 PM)

Empire's review is in the latest issue and it all sounds pretty good. A definate step up from MI4. Will be seeking this out over Xmas.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI