Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

jackcarter -> Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 12:05:19 PM)

the other night watched Running Man for first time in years and id always thought at the end Killians bodyguard says 'i got the scores from steroids' (meaning he was an ex boxer, athlete or something) but i had the subtitles on and he actually says 'ive got to score some steroids' (which i actually dont like so much as my previous interpretation)

anyway im sure theres been a few other lines in other movies over the years that ive misheard or misunderstood and then found out the correct line or correct meaning but cant remember off hand

elab49 -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 12:06:37 PM)

Animal apparently doesn't say 'acting nonchalant'. This was devastating [:)]

st3veebee -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 12:21:50 PM)

I have a few like this, and the sad thing is that I usually prefer my own made up versions!

-I was sure Ellis says "Hans...Bubby..Baby?? I'm your white knight!" in Die Hard for years.

matty_b -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 1:31:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

[:D]

Shifty Bench -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 1:34:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

the other night watched Running Man for first time in years and id always thought at the end Killians bodyguard says 'i got the scores from steroids' (meaning he was an ex boxer, athlete or something) but i had the subtitles on and he actually says 'ive got to score some steroids' (which i actually dont like so much as my previous interpretation)

That was a callback, though. The guard was basically saying 'fuck you' to Killian due to an insult Killian aimed at him earlier regarding steroids. He isn't actually leaving to get steroids [:D]

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 1:39:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

I'm still amazed at how many people misheard that. I've seen the film well over 30 times by now (no exaggeration, my daughter loves it) and I still can't see it.

horribleives -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 1:56:45 PM)

When I was a bairn I always thought Quint said something about 'colanders' and 'bottles' in the Indianapolis speech. Which would make no sense whatsoever.

jackcarter -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 1:57:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: jackcarter

That was a callback, though. The guard was basically saying 'fuck you' to Killian due to an insult Killian aimed at him earlier regarding steroids. He isn't actually leaving to get steroids [:D]

well yeah it works for both

Shifty Bench -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 2:00:10 PM)

Well, no, 'I got the scores from steroids' isn't really a proper sentence that relates to the situation presented in the film.......

[sm=whistle.gif] [:D]

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 2:36:30 PM)

quote:

Well, no, 'I got the scores from steroids' isn't really a proper sentence that relates to the situation presented in the film.......

[sm=whistle.gif] [:D]

Indeed. He's referring to the fact that Killian asked him if steroids had made him deaf earlier on in the film so it only really works one way.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 2:37:59 PM)

That's right, I had forgotten the specifics but I knew an insult regarding steroids was involved [:)]

jackcarter -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 3:09:37 PM)

originally i thought it worked as a 'fuck you' to Killian in that Killian insulted him about steroids before so he was saying 'i got the scores from steroids'...(i.e. the scores you thought i got from being a top wrestler or whatever in my previous career before being a bodyguard were from steroid use so fuck you for insulting me earlier and im out of here)

basically i was reading too much into it from mishearing the line when it was a more simple throwaway thing[:D]

elab49 -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 3:23:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

I'm still amazed at how many people misheard that. I've seen the film well over 30 times by now (no exaggeration, my daughter loves it) and I still can't see it.

'cos your head is telling you you're trying to hear something you think isn't there.

If we borrowed you for a short while - exposed you to standard memory wipe procedures - and then let you rewatch, it'd be an entirely different story. Bet you.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 3:26:40 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

quote:

'cos your head is telling you you're trying to hear something you think isn't there.

If we borrowed you for a short while - exposed you to standard memory wipe procedures - and then let you rewatch, it'd be an entirely different story. Bet you.

But I heard it properly the first time I watched it so I'm betting I'd hear it properly again the first time I watched it [:D]

The Big Guy -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 3:28:00 PM)

In Watership Down does the bird actually say "piss off", or is that a mishearing? I would like to think it actually says "piss off".

Shifty Bench -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 3:31:23 PM)

Yeah, he says 'Piss off' [:)]

Charles B. Potatoes -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 3:33:48 PM)

In Ghostbusters I always thought Egon told Janine "The printer's dead" when she's talking to him about books. As if the joke was that he wasn't listening to a word she was saying to him while he's checking the computer

I only found out a few months ago the line is "Print is dead"!!!

The Big Guy -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 3:35:10 PM)

quote:

Yeah, he says 'Piss off' [:)]

That is kind of brilliant.

Spaldron -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 3:52:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles B. Potatoes

In Ghostbusters I always thought Egon told Janine "The printer's dead" when she's talking to him about books. As if the joke was that he wasn't listening to a word she was saying to him while he's checking the computer

I only found out a few months ago the line is "Print is dead"!!!

I always thought he said "Prince is dead" meaning the singer, always expected Prince to show up as a ghost later in the film. [:D]

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

When I was a bairn I always thought Quint said something about 'colanders' and 'bottles' in the Indianapolis speech. Which would make no sense whatsoever.

In the same film I always think the Mayor says "You yell Barracuda, you're racist huh, what?" He obviously doesn't say that does he?

Hood_Man -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 3:58:31 PM)

I wish I could find a clip, but it's the moment in Muppet Christmas Carol when Scrooge's nephew Fred is leaving Scrooge's office, and he turns around and I assume invites Scrooge to Christmas lunch, but whenever he says it it's like:

[image]http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20100901-tc4.gif[/image]

akivo -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 5:00:34 PM)

In Aliens when the marines come out of the cryotubes I always thought when Vasquez said "Hey, mira, who's Snow White" she was addressing her fellow marine by name, when in fact "mira" means "look" in Spanish!!!

Also, for years I thought "fire in the hole" was "fire in the hall".

Thank gawd for DVD subtitles.

horribleives -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 5:15:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

In the same film I always think the Mayor says "You yell Barracuda, you're racist huh, what?" He obviously doesn't say that does he?

I think it's "You yell 'barracuda', everyone says 'huh, what?' "

There's a bit near the beginning of Star Wars just after Luke storms off in a huff after talking to his uncle where to this day I still think he says something about 'pigs and tanks'.

rich -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 6:25:16 PM)

That line in Predator "the demon who makes trophies of men", could never understand what she was saying... makes what now? Torfus? Strawfuss of men?

Then again I knew someone that thought when they find Hopper's team and think it could have been guerillas who did it, that they were talking about killer apes.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 6:31:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich
Then again I knew someone that thought when they find Hopper's team and think it could have been guerillas who did it, that they were talking about killer apes.

As did I, when I was a dumb kid [sm=08.gif]

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 6:48:24 PM)

In Back to the Future Part II, when old Jennifer meets young Jennifer, and the space-time continuum does not unravel, my brother and I could never, EVER tell what they screamed at each other. Sort of "I'm auhfhasjhdshj", or some such.

Anyway, it was only a few years ago that someone - I forget who - pointed out that one is screaming "I'm old!" and the other is screaming "I'm young!". Neither of us could hear it, though.

Spaldron -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (11/7/2012 11:51:05 PM)

quote:

quote:

Snap!

Shifty Bench -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (12/7/2012 12:03:24 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

Snap!

When I first saw Predator, I didn't now about military terms or whatever. I didn't know what the C.I.A. was back then either but I didn't care, Arnie was fighting an alien! [:D]

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (12/7/2012 12:08:31 AM)

Just recently I've misunderstood the TDKR Blake/Gorden clip.
I thought blake said "its about that night,this night 8 years ago the night dad died"[&:]

kumar -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (12/7/2012 12:12:14 AM)

All of No Country for Old Men.... (most)

When i saw LOTR TT the first time and every time since then I can always hear, at the moment Legolas shoots the ropes holding one of the tall ladders up at Helms Deep, two orcs shout back immediately "motherfuckaa.....fuck you!!"

Clearly it isnt that what is said, but its what my head matches to the sound they make before they go squealing like pigs to their death!

NinjaShortbread212 -> RE: Mishearing or misunderstanding certain lines for decades (12/7/2012 2:24:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I wish I could find a clip, but it's the moment in Muppet Christmas Carol when Scrooge's nephew Fred is leaving Scrooge's office, and he turns around and I assume invites Scrooge to Christmas lunch, but whenever he says it it's like:

[image]http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20100901-tc4.gif[/image]

I getcha. [:D]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI