TV edits of classic lines (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

homersimpson_esq -> TV edits of classic lines (7/7/2012 10:51:43 PM)

"Any of you restaurant patrons move, and I shall shoot every last one of you."

"Yippee ky aye, evil Germans."

"Okay you gents, let's see what you can do now."

rawlinson -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (7/7/2012 10:55:49 PM)

Do you see what happens when you find a stranger in the alps?

homersimpson_esq -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (7/7/2012 11:03:51 PM)

Do be quiet, Donny.

adambatman82 -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (7/7/2012 11:07:59 PM)

"Flip you, Melon Farmer"

MartinBlank76 -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (7/7/2012 11:15:41 PM)

'Funsters' I think was popular in lethal weapon instead of the original F word. And I think one time when mel was swearing a lot in one sentence they just abandoned any pretence of talking and resorted to growling and half-attempts at some kind of english to replace the original lines.

Back 20 years ago, even after 9pm, it seemed films were edited. That doesnt happen anymore I dont think. Things have definitely been relaxed that way. I just remember having the likes of lethal weapon, predator etc taped off the telly after the watershed and they were edited to pieces. I got so used to watched these versions that if I watch lethal weapon nowadays I still find myself saying, 'ooh thats new' during the climatic violent last half hour, specifically Al Leong torturing Riggs.

rawlinson -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (7/7/2012 11:17:20 PM)

Yeah, I definitely remember Lethal Weapon getting a 9pm showing and still being edited to shreds.

jcthefirst -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (7/7/2012 11:18:52 PM)

I was always surprised at the amount of swearing in Back to the Future when I bought it on dvd. Having only ever seen it on TV, with most of the language edited out. I'm not saying it's a film filled with bad language, but I distinctly remember being shocked at 'let's see if you bastards can do 90.' as well as several 'Jesus Christ's' that were certainly not present on TV.

And yes, Yippee Ki Ay, muddy funsters.

MartinBlank76 -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (7/7/2012 11:20:59 PM)

Scrooged was another family favourite usually shown on christmas eve that fell foul of the scissors, specifically the opening scene showing Franks idea of christmas viewing and some mild swearing.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (7/7/2012 11:30:33 PM)

C5 cut,arguably,the funniest line in Beetlejuice not to long ago on a late evening showing,which left me disapointed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiLk9tlE-h8

I've even seen the original Blade Runner film get cut-apart on TV showings in the early 90's,which is somewhat humourous because its,possibly,the most cut-up film out there.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (7/7/2012 11:42:05 PM)

There isn't even that much swearing in Blade Runner. The only major swearing was actually changed to be removed in the preferred cut. "I want more life, father" is infinitely more effective than the rather jarring and unsubtle, "I want more life, fucker".

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (7/7/2012 11:58:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

There isn't even that much swearing in Blade Runner. The only major swearing was actually changed to be removed in the preferred cut. "I want more life, father" is infinitely more effective than the rather jarring and unsubtle, "I want more life, fucker".

To be honest it was more than the Betty-father scene that was slightly tweaked.They also cut moments in the Deckard-Rachel love scene ie made it less rough,suttle scenes with Betty and Pris and shortened the scene with Deckard on the balcony,which still leaves me confused as to why.
Then we had the DC release which gave the audience some more depth.[:D]

So in that sense I've seen 3 different cuts of Blade Runner.

directorscut -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 12:08:38 AM)

I prefer the line "Yippee ki yay, Kemosabe." Fits in better with the western theme.

Of course all these examples pale in comparison to ITV's legendary afternoon cut of RoboCop . The guy who cut that deserves a medal.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 12:23:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

I prefer the line "Yippee ki yay, Kemosabe." Fits in better with the western theme.

Of course all these examples pale in comparison to ITV's legendary afternoon cut of RoboCop . The guy who cut that deserves a medal.

this^ takes some beating.
How long did the movie last for?,30 mins[:D]

Coyleone -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 1:21:37 AM)

Ah, just posted this in another thread but 'Where did you get that scar? Eating Pineapple?' from Scarface always gets me [sm=happy07.gif]

Spaldron -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 1:38:17 AM)

The one I remember was The Goonies, for years I was used to the ITV edit so what a shocker it was when I got the dvd with all the cuss words put back in.

Coyleone -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 1:41:28 AM)

Yeah I couldn't believe it when I watched the dvd of The Goonies for the first time (first time I'd ever seen it actually) a few months ago. I'd been led to believe it was a full on childrens film so when I heard the swearing I was kind of shocked lol.

DancingClown -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 10:02:08 AM)

"I'm a real cop, this is a real badge, and this is a real firing gun!" Lethal Weapon.

"Why me! Why me! Why me! Why me! Why me! Why me! Why me!" Robocop.

People have mentioned being shocked by the sudden swearing in The Goonies, but don't forget to add hard drugs references and sexual torture references from Mouth's infamous translation scene with the maid. Like when I saw Romancing The Stone on VHS for the first time way beack when, I thought I was watching a different film.

I remember the practice back in the early 90s of not just cutting out bad words but re-dubbing whole lines of dialogue. When BBC first showed Fish Called Wanda it was ridiculous, as well as being after 9pm. I remember them doing the same thing with Rain Man and Aliens, too. Utterly stupid and insulting to the viewer.

Not too annoying when alternative lines have already been recorded by the film-makers, such as in Beverly Hills Cop and Ghostbusters. I remember "dickless" became "Wally-wick", whatever the hell that meant, but at least it was an actual line and hadn't been dubbed.

drews -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 1:41:48 PM)

RoboCop bursts into a warehouse full of goons and tells them they are under arrest. One of the goons yells out "Fuck you!!!"

ITV edited it to "Forget you!!!"

I probably said that for five years straight during school whenever I wanted to tell someone to get lost.

Biggus -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 2:20:46 PM)

"Once I even called him... airhead."

Shifty Bench -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 3:21:25 PM)

quote:

For years I have heard that Robocop was once shown in the afternoon, but I think it's a myth. I doubt that Robocop was ever shown on ITV before 9pm. I think the confusion around it came from the Robocop TV show pilot being shown on a Sunday (as was the actual show) but even back then, no TV channel was allowed to show an 18 certificate film on before 9pm. Some free-to-air Sky channels have tried it with showing things like Night of the Living Dead on at 6pm but they nearly lost their licence. Unless of course you meant the version they showed at 10pm was fit enough to be shown in the afternoon, then disregard [:D]

I remember the heavily edited cut and my favourite was when they dubbed over 'Scumbag' with 'Crumbag'. Genius.

horribleives -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 3:32:39 PM)

Yeah I remember the hilariously dubbed version of Robocop but it was definitely on in the evening.
So glad I saw this and all the infamously poor ones (Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Midnight Run, Ghostbusters, The Goonies, Back To The Future) on video or at the cinema first. Not only for the sake of witnessing the director and writer's vision unencumbered on that crucial first viewing but also because prior knowledge of the films made the cheaply edited versions genuine laugh-out-loud marvels.

Spaldron -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 3:44:05 PM)

In some cases the studios deliberately shoot alternative swear free versions for tv and airplanes etc but in other cases the tv channel decide to do it themselves, which is where the hilarity ensues. Especially when its ITV or the BBC overdubbing Schwarzenegger and its clearly some guy with an English accent who's been drafted in to say "damn" instead of "shit". [:D]

Shifty Bench -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 3:46:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

Yeah I remember the hilariously dubbed version of Robocop but it was definitely on in the evening.

It was part of an action premiere season on ITV that they advertised for weeks before. It was Robocop, Tango & Cash, Lethal Weapon 2 and (I think) An Innocent Man which was clearly the odd one out.

An Innocent Man was cut to shreds too. Especially the line- 'your crusading cunt of a wife' which changed the offending word to 'pig'.

Of course, that word is still troublesome to ITV- click

horribleives -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 3:48:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

It was part of an action premiere season on ITV that they advertised for weeks before. It was Robocop, Tango & Cash, Lethal Weapon 2 and (I think) An Innocent Man which was clearly the odd one out.

[An Innocent Man was cut to shreds too. Especially the line- 'your crusading cunt of a wife' which changed the offending word to 'pig'.
Of course, that word is still troublesome to ITV- click

'Your crusading cunt of a pig' is still pretty shocking though.
Just watching a compilation of Robocop's edits on YouTube. Brilliant stuff.

Shifty Bench -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 4:18:37 PM)

quote:

'Your crusading cunt of a pig' is still pretty shocking though.

[:D]

I found this on Youtube for edits to Weird Science- click . Some of the cuts are ridiculous, glad our channels always show it after 9pm so we don't get silly edits like that.

jcthefirst -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 5:24:15 PM)

Funky Pete.

http://youtu.be/iY7D6rKjoKM

Coyleone -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 6:49:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Biggus

"Once I even called him... airhead."

[sm=happy07.gif] I remember this!

jcthefirst -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 6:55:54 PM)

FYI, Ghostbusters ghost blowjob. Just saw it on Channel 5. ./

directorscut -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 8:28:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

For years I have heard that Robocop was once shown in the afternoon, but I think it's a myth. I doubt that Robocop was ever shown on ITV before 9pm. I think the confusion around it came from the Robocop TV show pilot being shown on a Sunday (as was the actual show) but even back then, no TV channel was allowed to show an 18 certificate film on before 9pm. Some free-to-air Sky channels have tried it with showing things like Night of the Living Dead on at 6pm but they nearly lost their licence. Unless of course you meant the version they showed at 10pm was fit enough to be shown in the afternoon, then disregard [:D]

I remember the heavily edited cut and my favourite was when they dubbed over 'Scumbag' with 'Crumbag'. Genius.

As far as I can recall they showed RoboCop twice pre-watershed. Once was around the evening time the week before they aired the RoboCop TV series. The other was in the mid-2000s around 2:00pm in the afternoon. They also showed Beverly Hills Cop around this time.

Both were cut to be no more offensive/violent than an episode of Walker Texas Ranger.

I grew up watching these versions on taped VHS.

Suffice to say watching the uncut versions years later was something of an experience.

Shifty Bench -> RE: TV edits of classic lines (8/7/2012 8:50:32 PM)

quote:

As far as I can recall they showed RoboCop twice pre-watershed. Once was around the evening time the week before they aired the RoboCop TV series. The other was in the mid-2000s around 2:00pm in the afternoon. They also showed Beverly Hills Cop around this time.

Both were cut to be no more offensive/violent than an episode of Walker Texas Ranger.

Sorry, but I think your memory is wrong [:D]. I have searched online and people are claiming that it was shown at 8pm once. I, again, think that is shit but it is (slightly) more plausible than 2pm. I always watched films that were on in an unsuitable time (I always watched the Goonies for varying degrees of editing) and I don't remember Robocop being on at 2pm at all. I would have watched that, hell, I would have recorded it and watched it over and over. Plus, I have been following Ofcom online for the past 10 years or so (since it started) and I would have read about it.

The version shown at 10pm was as edited as you described though, they removed practically everything.

And Beverly Hills Cop has been shown before the watershed a few times (as has BHC 2). They were both on Saturday evenings around teatime on ITV and I rememebr the BBC showing BHC early evening on a Bank Holiday in the late 80s once.

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI