Documentaries Poll (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

MovieAddict247 -> Documentaries Poll (7/7/2012 10:31:10 PM)

I was wondering if there was any interest in a documentaries poll. I'm up for running one, as it would encourage me to actually start making my way through the ever-growing pile of documentaries on my shelf.

It would be a pretty open poll - TV documentaries and series (such as Frozen Planet, or The Blue Planet, or Planet Earth or any other David Attenborough & the Earth collaborations) would be included too.

So is there any interest? If there is, I'll set up an email and a deadline (probably the end of November or thereabouts).

Mockumentaries are not allowed, concert films are.

Email lists to: documentariespoll@gmail.com.

rawlinson -> RE: Documentaries Poll (7/7/2012 10:32:55 PM)

Sure, I'm in. What about mockumentaries?

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Documentaries Poll (7/7/2012 10:37:19 PM)

That's a tricky one - I'm leaning towards saying yes, mainly because Zelig is amazing, but also who said that a documentary had to be true? And the filming techniques etc are pretty similar. However, if anyone has any strong feelings against them being included, fair enough.

elab49 -> RE: Documentaries Poll (7/7/2012 10:48:02 PM)

quote:

Documentary films constitute a broad category of nonfictional motion pictures intended to document some aspect of reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction or maintaining a historical record.[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_film#cite_note-0][/link]

Not so much true - Catfish anyone?[:D] - but non-fiction I've always assumed. Would the difficult area be more something like American Splendour, or where the cross-over is with docs with dramatised scenes in them?

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Documentaries Poll (7/7/2012 11:00:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

Documentary films constitute a broad category of nonfictional motion pictures intended to document some aspect of reality, primarily for the purposes of instruction or maintaining a historical record.[link=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentary_film#cite_note-0][/link]

Not so much true - Catfish anyone?[:D] - but non-fiction I've always assumed. Would the difficult area be more something like American Splendour, or where the cross-over is with docs with dramatised scenes in them?

Nice definition - mockumentaries are now excluded. Anyway, I suppose you get enough truth twisting with "factual" documentaries.

Documentaries with dramatised scenes are fine (such as Man on Wire). American Splendor I've not seen, so can't really say.

rawlinson -> RE: Documentaries Poll (7/7/2012 11:12:25 PM)

This might help with suggestions, Time Out's Top 50 docs

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/film/the-50-best-documentaries-of-all-time-documentary

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Documentaries Poll (7/7/2012 11:46:46 PM)

I'm in. I take it concert films are cool. I ask only so I can have Queen as my top 5 entries.

rawlinson -> RE: Documentaries Poll (7/7/2012 11:51:56 PM)

So I can vote for Springsteen at Hammersmith, Big Time, things like that?

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Documentaries Poll (7/7/2012 11:53:45 PM)

If MA says concerts are allowed, then you can. Why you'd want to though... [:D]

rawlinson -> RE: Documentaries Poll (7/7/2012 11:57:13 PM)

Cos I have taste and like good music.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 12:22:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Then why do you like Springsteen?[;)]

Anyway this sounds like a great idea. Have not seen nearly enough Documentaries, but it is a growing traid in modern cinema and I am sure I can come up with a decent sized list.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 1:10:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Anyway this sounds like a great idea. Have not seen nearly enough Documentaries, but it is a growing traid in modern cinema and I am sure I can come up with a decent sized list.

So could I. [:)]

What size of list do you think you'd be looking for?

I'll probably only stick to feature-length documentaries for my list, as I think it's a bit unfair for them to be compared to something potentially much more in-depth - i.e. 6/12 part series etc.

Lazarus munkey -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 3:23:03 AM)

1. The Corporation

Thanks for reading.
[:D]

jiraffejustin -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 8:31:18 AM)

I have a bad feeling Michael Moore is going to show up in the results [:@] and Al Gore probably too [&:]

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 9:48:30 AM)

quote:

[:)] Good choices.

Concert films are allowed

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

Anything from 10 to 100, I think.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 10:44:53 AM)

I suppose this poll is the perfect opportunity for me to finally watch The World at War. Though I know full well I won't have watched by the deadline.

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 1:15:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jiraffejustin

I have a bad feeling Michael Moore is going to show up in the results [:@] and Al Gore probably too [&:]

Not in mine.

Although I still quite like Bowling For Colombine.

elab49 -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 1:24:15 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

So could I. [:)]

I'll probably only stick to feature-length documentaries for my list, as I think it's a bit unfair for them to be compared to something potentially much more in-depth - i.e. 6/12 part series etc.

It's tempting to fill the top 10 with Attenborough but I think I'll probably go for feature length too. Might go for the shorter Adam Curtis works though. Maybe something like Death in Yugoslavia.

Any thoughts on the Trial of Richard III? It was a staged mock trial - properly legal teams, expert witnesses etc, so it was kind of an unusual take on the doc format, but still, I think, one nevertheless. 

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 1:36:47 PM)

quote:

It's tempting to fill the top 10 with Attenborough but I think I'll probably go for feature length too. Might go for the shorter Adam Curtis works though. Maybe something like Death in Yugoslavia.

That's it really.

If I went down the television route, Attenborough & Mark Cousins would probably end up hogging most of my top 20.

Planet Earth & The story of Film are wonderful, but it seems silly to me putting them on the same list as a Salesman or Thin Blue Line.

rawlinson -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 5:58:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

quote:

Thank you. Nice to know someone here has taste. [:D]

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 6:09:23 PM)

quote:

Any thoughts on the Trial of Richard III? It was a staged mock trial - properly legal teams, expert witnesses etc, so it was kind of an unusual take on the doc format, but still, I think, one nevertheless. 

After a quick search, I've decided that it's allowed and also sounds really interesting.

quote:

quote:

quote:

A rare thing around these parts......[:D]

elab49 -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 6:19:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

After a quick search, I've decided that it's allowed and also sounds really interesting.

Big chunks of it used to be up on youtube, although C4 haven't ever released it properly.

rawlinson -> RE: Documentaries Poll (8/7/2012 10:49:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll keep saying nice things about you if I can vote for Documentary Filmmaking Redux. [:D]

ElephantBoy -> RE: Documentaries Poll (9/7/2012 12:16:41 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jiraffejustin

Not in mine.

Although I still quite like Bowling For Colombine.

Yeah despite its flaws BFC is still a gem of a project and is likely to feature in mine. Think there will also be some Herzog and exciting smaller choices like We Want Rose Too to feature also.

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Documentaries Poll (9/7/2012 8:20:22 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll keep saying nice things about you if I can vote for Documentary Filmmaking Redux. [:D]

Don't push your luck.......I don't think that counts.

rawlinson -> RE: Documentaries Poll (9/7/2012 10:16:57 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't push your luck.......I don't think that counts.

I've seen few documentaries that better capture a man's descent into darkness. [:D]

Rebenectomy -> RE: Documentaries Poll (9/7/2012 6:44:00 PM)

My documentary catalogue is sadly lacking, but it might spur me on to watch a few more. I'm in for a wee list at least.

Woger -> RE: Documentaries Poll (9/7/2012 7:06:43 PM)

Touching the Void.

matty_b -> RE: Documentaries Poll (9/7/2012 7:33:50 PM)

Yeah, I reckon I'll pull a top ten together if nothing else.

Rinc -> RE: Documentaries Poll (9/7/2012 7:34:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I suppose this poll is the perfect opportunity for me to finally watch The World at War. Though I know full well I won't have watched by the deadline.

[sm=happy34.gif]

If I vote in this poll, The World at War will be number 1.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI