Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack

Harry Tuttle -> Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (6/7/2012 3:31:48 PM)

So following the completion of the current (slightly disappointing without the crossover titles) Avengers vs X-Men storyline Marvel will be shaking up their entire roster, promising new titles, new costumes, new creative teams, relaunced titles etc. They insist this isn't a reboot though, just a new evolution for the characters in a post AvX universe.

The new titles confirmed for release in October so far are.

Uncanny Avengers - New X-Men and Avengers combined team featuring Cap America, Thor, Wolverine, Havok, Rogue, Scarlet Witch.

All New X-Men #1 - Featuring the original 5 X-Men from the 60's showing up in the present.

Avengers #1 - Expanded roster of 18 members.

New #1's for Thor, Captain America and Iron Man and a New Avengers title out in January 2013.

I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with this although it all seems a bit Avengers and X-Men heavy to me. Considering there's also Avengers EMH, Avengers Academy, Avengers Assemble, Secret Avengers, Dark Avengers (formerly Thunderbolts), Uncanny X-Force, X-Factor, Wolverine and the X-Men, New Mutants, Uncanny X-Men, Astonishing X-Men and Age of Apocalypse it leaves their roster a little short on variety. I assume a few of these will be phased out but then again maybe not.

Any thoughts?

Link to IGN article here CLICK

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (6/7/2012 4:33:23 PM)

Typical bloody Mravel![:@]
Just got through cancelling a bunch now they go & do this hopefully it'll be like DC & they'll cut some of the them to make way especially as I can't see the reason for a 3rd Captain America title?[sm=23.gif]

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (11/7/2012 1:18:45 AM)

I'll see what the landscape's like after the new titles have been released before deciding on what to continue reading. I've been quite enjoying Uncanny X-Force, X-Men Legacy, Avengers Academy and Wolverine & the X-Men so I hope they continue. In fact the latter three titles have been the best thing about the current Avengers Vs X-Men event in my opinion so I'll definitely keep buying them if possible.

I'll probably give Uncanny Avengers and the new Avengers titles a spin but I'm not really sold on anything else to be honest. Maybe the new #1 for Iron Man but I dunno, we'll see how it goes I guess.

Edit: The titles ending in October have been announced CLICKY. Looks like X-Men Legacy won't survive. Shame, I've been really enjoying it during the AvX crossover.

furrybastard -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (11/7/2012 2:45:37 AM)

Is this anything different to what Marvel's already been doing since Civil War? Relaunching titles as #1s, multiple titles of the same series with confusing names and the never-ending event - setup - event pattern. This isn't a reboot or anything. It's just more #1s. Avengers has had about a dozen of those at this rate [&:]

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (11/7/2012 12:50:02 PM)

Better if they just stopped most of em & started back at 1 except Daredevil & Uncanny X-Men as i've been confussed by all the X & Avengers titles for the last couple of years & am so far behind it's UN"FREAKIN"BELEAVABLE!
At least i've managed to keep up with my DC's since they all went back to 1

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (11/7/2012 2:22:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Better if they just stopped most of em & started back at 1 except Daredevil & Uncanny X-Men as i've been confussed by all the X & Avengers titles for the last couple of years & am so far behind it's UN"FREAKIN"BELEAVABLE!
At least i've managed to keep up with my DC's since they all went back to 1

Uncanny X-Men is being cancelled.

I'll stick mostly with what I'm currently reading when the new titles are relaunched. At the moment I've got the following on the go :-

X-Men Legacy (Cancelled in October)
Uncanny X-Men (Cancelled in October)
Uncanny X-Force
Avengers Academy
New Avengers Vol 2
Wolverine & The X-Men
Age of Apocalypse (got a bit of a backlog going on here as it's failing to keep my interest, I'll probably be dropping this)
Spider-Men (2 issues into a 5 issue run)
Deadpool (considering dropping this and picking up Daredevil instead, it's gotten a bit dull of late)

I also dip in and out into Iron Man and Thor's titles. I don't bother with the Ultimate Universe for the most part.

Of the new titles I can only say with any certainty that I'll be checking Uncanny Avengers out and there's a slight chance I'll check what Bendis can do with the X-Men, otherwise it's pretty much as you were. More than likely I'll be buying one comic less a month when you take into consideration that Spider-Men is a limited run and two of the tiles I'm currently reading are getting cancelled.

I've no choice but to cap my Marvel consumption because there's some really good stuff being released elsewhere at the moment. Image Comics' Saga and Valiant's X-O Manowar for starters.

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (12/7/2012 10:32:50 AM)

Uncanny X-Men cancelled again!!![:@][:@][:@]
I recently dropped X-Force & X-Men so now only X related 1s I get are Uncanny, Legacy, Astonishing & Wolverine. Same on Avengers front only get New Avengers, Assemble & Captain America got rid of other Cap & title. So after finishing Ultimate line only others I now get are Amazing Spider-Man & Daredevil.
Can't beleave for a lfe long Marvel fan I now get as many if not more DC titles as Marvel.[&o]

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (12/7/2012 11:00:21 AM)

I'm not a fan of the Ultimate line myself so I don't bother with any of the titles, the current Spider-Men being an exception (but that's 50/50 anyway [:D]).

Surprised you dropped X-Force, I reckon that it and Wolverine & the X-Men the best X-Men related titles Marvel are producing at the moment. The Dark Angel storyline in X-Force recently is probably one of the best arcs Ive read off Marvel in a while and this month's issue is brilliant. Not really too fussed about Uncanny X-Men but I think Cyclops leading up to and post Schism is a complete douche though so that's probably a big factor.

I'm definitely dropping Deadpool in favour of Daredevil I think. I get my Deadpool fix in X-Force and his solo comic has become really dull since he lost his healing factor. That might have been resolved now because I haven't actually read the last issue, bored as I was of it.

I need to diversify I think because at the moment I'm not reading anything off DC. My nephew has most of the the New 52 Batman related titles (and The Flash and JLA I think) though so I know they're there when I'm ready to read them.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the new status quo is following the AvX event myself. The fact that the original X-Men team are being brought into the present day (their future) makes me think there are a few fatalities on the way. You can't have 2 versions of Cyclops, Angel, Iceman and Beast from the same continuity surely? Then again knowing comic books there's every chance it'll be an alternate universe thing anyway.

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (13/7/2012 5:04:36 PM)

It was a case of necessaty & with Milligan leaving something had to go still with Smiths stint on Bionic Man coming to an end may look at picking it up again?

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (19/7/2012 11:56:43 AM)

Finally, the main AvX series has started to get interesting. So far it's been the crossover titles keeping my interest in the arc.

I really hope Scott Summers dies a horrible death by the end of this event, preferably at the hands of Wolverine. I wouldn't mind seeing Emma Frost and Namor pulverised into paste either to be honest. In fact it wouldn't bother me to see all of the Phoenix Five receive their much deserved comeuppance, as far as I'm concerened the Utopia hierarchy is now a hive of scum and villainy.

I fucking loathe being on Captain America's side [:D]

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (11/9/2012 9:54:01 AM)

Uncanny X-Force comes to an end as Remender leaves for Uncanny Avengers

CLICKY

This has annoyed me somewhat, UXF is far and away my favourite Marvel monthly so it's pretty gutting to see it being dropped as part of the "not a reboot" event. Granted it probably would have been a shadow of it's former self without Remender at the helm but still, it's very disappointing.

On the upside, having Remender on board makes Uncanny Avengers a no brainer day 1 purchase for me. By all accounts some of the story threads will be making their way across to Uncanny Avengers anyway so fingers crossed UA will fill the large UXF sized hole in my reading schedule following the conclusion of the Final Execution arc.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (13/9/2012 11:15:51 AM)

HELLO! (Hello!, Hello!, Hello!)

Avengers v X-Men #11 SPOILERS Ahead.

On the off chance that I'm not the only person reading or posting in this thread how do people feel about the first fatality of the AvX "event"?

Personally I found it quite odd, Xavier had been a very peripheral figure in the story up to now and then bam, they make him integral only to kill him off. Now I really hope they kill Cyclops off. The last thing I want to be reading is mopey emo Cyclops grieving over Xavier's death at his hands for months to come.

There was an interview with Bendis about this on IGN and he suggested that Xavier was more effective as a martyr these days. Due to Cyclops becoming the defacto leader of his X-Men Xavier has taken a back seat role (hence his omission from most of the AvX story) so he's probably more intresting dead than he is alive. I can see where he's coming from, kind of, but this makes me worry that Cyclops doesn't get his just desserts. Having said that though, I'm not sure if a time displaced Xavier is part of the All New X-Men. A time displaced Cyclops is so, I dunno, will they have 2 Scott's in the same continuity?...

I'm actually looking forward to seeing where they go with this in the new titles in general though but surely Scott has to buy the farm now. I really, really hope they don't try and redeem him, or spend months showing him coming to terms with what he did.

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (15/9/2012 9:51:28 AM)

He'll be back how many times has he supposedly snuffed it now[sm=33.gif].
To be truthfull it all gets a wee bit tiresome I mean look at the fuss made over The Human Torch & how long was he gone at least Cap went for a little while!

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (21/9/2012 10:54:38 AM)

So according to twitter last night Amazing Spider-Man ends it's run at 700 hmmm now where have I heard that one before? OH YEAH THE LAST TIME THEY BLOODY DID IT![:@]

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (21/9/2012 11:10:02 AM)

quote:

So according to twitter last night Amazing Spider-Man ends it's run at 700 hmmm now where have I heard that one before? OH YEAH THE LAST TIME THEY BLOODY DID IT![:@]

I think you need to find a new hobby. Reading comics seems to make you very angry [:D]

Couldn't care less about Spider-Man personally as I don't read it (I did enjoy the Spider-Men crossover though, that was ace). It's guaranteed to continue the old numbering after a couple of years though. It'll probably revert as they approach issue 750. It seems a bit pointless but it isn't anything that bothers me in the slightest.

quote:

He'll be back how many times has he supposedly snuffed it now.
To be truthfull it all gets a wee bit tiresome I mean look at the fuss made over The Human Torch & how long was he gone at least Cap went for a little while!

I dunno, he's been a superfluous character in 616 continuity for about 7 years now. Probably longer than that actually as he barely featured in House of M and since then Cyclops has been front and centre. I think the death of major characters can be interesting if done well (see Fantomex in UX-F). If Cyclops were a character I liked I'd probably look forward to seeing how he deals with the fact that he was responsible for killing his mentor and father figure. As it is though the thought of Cyclops emo-ing up the newly launched X titles (he's never going to get killed at the conclusion of AvX, no matter how much I want it) makes me want to give them a wide berth completely.

What's annoyed me is that there will be 2 different X-Force titles following the Marvel NOW launch. There's Cable's X-Force and a newly launched Uncanny X-Force with a new team led by Psylocke. Remender has set the bar so high with his run on Uncanny X-Force that I really feel sorry for Sam Humphries. There's no way in hell his work won't be compared to Remender's.

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (22/9/2012 9:46:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

I think you need to find a new hobby. Reading comics seems to make you very angry [:D]

Couldn't care less about Spider-Man personally as I don't read it (I did enjoy the Spider-Men crossover though, that was ace). It's guaranteed to continue the old numbering after a couple of years though. It'll probably revert as they approach issue 750. It seems a bit pointless but it isn't anything that bothers me in the slightest.

quote:

He'll be back how many times has he supposedly snuffed it now.

I dunno, he's been a superfluous character in 616 continuity for about 7 years now. Probably longer than that actually as he barely featured in House of M and since then Cyclops has been front and centre. I think the death of major characters can be interesting if done well (see Fantomex in UX-F). If Cyclops were a character I liked I'd probably look forward to seeing how he deals with the fact that he was responsible for killing his mentor and father figure. As it is though the thought of Cyclops emo-ing up the newly launched X titles (he's never going to get killed at the conclusion of AvX, no matter how much I want it) makes me want to give them a wide berth completely.

What's annoyed me is that there will be 2 different X-Force titles following the Marvel NOW launch. There's Cable's X-Force and a newly launched Uncanny X-Force with a new team led by Psylocke. Remender has set the bar so high with his run on Uncanny X-Force that I really feel sorry for Sam Humphries. There's no way in hell his work won't be compared to Remender's.

Ah I only get so angry because I care.[&o].
As for the 2 X-Forces I thought all this change was to bring some continuity to Marvel oh well just have to wait & see.[sm=whistle.gif]

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (7/10/2012 5:19:32 PM)

So following the damp squib ending of AvX (who saw that coming [8|]) the first Now title is being released this week in Uncanny Avengers. Having Remender as writer actually gives me hope that it won't be shit and it'll be interesting to see how an Avengers team featuring mainly mutants pans out.

Not sure I'm going to bother picking up any of the AvX Consequences titles. I'd have been far more interested if emo boy had faced his just deserts and had been pounded into paste by the Avengers but as Cyclops survived (quelle surprise) I really can't be arsed reading about his soul searching and yadda yadda.

Bit of a shit crossover really but I hope the NOW series hits the mark. I don't have much hope for the new Uncanny X-Force titles because by the sounds of it Storm will be a member. I've nothing against Storm whatsoever it's just that I can't see why the fuck she'd be involved in a Black Ops X sanctioned murder squad, it's totally against character for her.

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (9/10/2012 10:18:08 AM)

So exactly how many X-Tiles will there be now then because to be truthfull I'd lost count especially with the X-Men titles & I was getting most of them?

BudBaxter -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (9/10/2012 1:19:17 PM)

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (10/10/2012 1:37:49 PM)

Oh so they've cut some then! [;)]

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (19/10/2012 9:52:53 AM)

IGN's 10 most anticipated Marvel NOW titles.

CLICK

Of those I'll be checking out Young Avengers (gotta love the Scott Pilgrim inspired variant cover), Uncanny Avengers, The Avengers and possibly All New X-Men. FF looks interesting enough to at least pick up the first couple of issues and I might give Captain America a go. I think Remender is one of the best writers at Marvel at the moment so I'm interested to see what he does with the character. JR Jr. on art duties doesn't really inspire me though.

[image]http://comicbook.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/captain-america-2.jpg[/image]

Yuck [:@]

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (19/10/2012 5:11:23 PM)

Seems from what I saw on Newsarama's advanced listing that Marvel's done a 180 and gone from mainly X-Titles to Avengers.
Will probably go for Uncanny Avengers, Avengers & stick with Avengers Assemble out of those on offer.
Not sure about Savage Wolverine though anyone know if it's any good?

The Hooded Man -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (19/10/2012 5:36:51 PM)

Why is Thor wearing a Captain America costume?

Olaf -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (7/11/2012 6:48:41 PM)

Quick question - how much knowledge of the books leading up to this reboot/not-reboot do I need to have? I'm completely out of the loop after the endless event comics sapped my interest, but I'm immediately sold on Mike Allred working on an ongoing Marvel book again (plus Mark Waid presumably doing a Daredevil with the Hulk, and John Cassaday doing interiors on anything). Though I need to have read up on where these books were prior to this or will I be alright?

Also, if anyone has suggestions on where to start with some of Marvel's more prominent writers at the moment, it'd be much appreciated. I've been told vaguely good things about Jonathan Hickman/Matt Fraction/Rick Remender but never read anything, and there's no Morrison, Lemire Snyder etc to immediately make me buy something based on the name (except for Mark Waid. and possibly Nick Spencer based on Morning Glories).

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel NOW - Post Avengers vs X-Men Universe (7/11/2012 7:32:06 PM)

I think the purpose of the NOW branding is to provide a hopping on point, especially with the new titles. I've been reading quite a bit of Marvel over the year so it'd be tough for me to be able to verify if this is the case though. I'd imagine you'd need some AvX background to be comfortable to be honest, if even only a quick read on Wiki or something. Uncanny Avengers #1, for example, follows on directly from the events of AvX so I'd imagine a few plot points may be lost on someone without any knowledge of AvX whatsoever.

As for the writers I couldn't recommend Remender's stuff highly enough. His run on Uncanny X-Force has been nothing short of amazing and I'd recommend anyone to pick up the trades. I'm contemplating picking up the new Captain America title just because he's writing it. As I state above though J R Jr. on art duties doesn't exactly fill me with confidence. Matt Fraction is also worth checking out. His new Hawkeye title is fantastic so I'm interested to see his take on the Fantastic Four as well as Jonathan Hickman's forthcoming run on Avengers and New Avengers.

If I had to recommend any currently running titles that won't be affected by the Marvel Now line it'd be Captain Marvel and Hawkeye. Both brilliantly written and featuring some fantastic artwork. Hawkeye especially would be easy to pick up as it's basically just a series of self contained one shots.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI