Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Phubbs -> Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (1991) (5/7/2012 9:37:01 PM)

So here we are with the sixth and final adventure with the legendary old classic crew and by far the best film of the six in personal opinion. Yes I will say it now, this film is my personal favourite out of all the Trek films including the next gen crew and the recent prequel.

Its strange really, up to this point the previous films have been average in visuals and in some cases bland in plot, but this last entry really comes back with a bang. It does feel as if everyone really came together and pushed for the best send off possible for both the fans and the original cast...and boy did they get it right.

First up, visuals, what on Titan happened here? all of a sudden this franchise looks delicious. The sets look polished and real with actual depth, costumes maintain the naval militaristic feel as ever but look devilishly sharp, models glide through space with ease and rival some Star Wars work and all technical electrical effects actually appear as if they could be real, hardly any dodgy bluescreen anywhere folks!.

The whole film is packed with colour and flare making it an absolute joy to watch, the colour schemes are perfect (I loved the purple coloured shock wave that engulfed the Excelsior) with everything looking neat and pinpoint. It really is a complete departure from all the previous films and such a victory for all involved.

The plot is outrageously simple I must admit, again with the Klingon's. The Klingon's want peace with the Federation (well with everyone really) after a disaster threatens their homeworld, pfft now they want peace when they need major help eh. Certain factions don't want this, there is an assassination, 'Kirk' is blamed, imprisoned and everyone is at each others throats once again.

I think it was a wise move to use the Klingon's as the enemy in this final film. The Klingon's are the classic enemy and what better way to go down in a blaze of glory than kicking some Klingon ass (I think the Russian cold war theories/allegories can be laid to rest now). Of course by the end everyone is supposedly friends and at peace (or on the way to that) which is a bit wussy but I can see what they were aiming for hehe.

Talking of Klingon's, who would of thought Chris Plummer would make a brilliant Klingon huh? Some righteous casting there my friends, a sterling choice. Plummer is a Klingon badass in this despite the fact he actually does nothing other than spout Shakespeare...in Klingon. The mark of a great actor there, he merely struts around and throws out the bards work in his pitch perfect speaking voice yet at the same time he looks imposing, threatening and powerful, absolute badass! I loved the little touch with his eyepatch being bolted onto his face, literately bolted into his klingon skull.

There really wasn't a foot put wrong here in my opinion, lets not forget about Warner as the Klingon chancellor 'Gorkon'. The man wasn't involved for very long but again he made his presence felt with a great klingon character performance. Just like 'Chang' he looked every bit the complete warrior with his tusk cane and weathered facial hair, he also looked pretty tough and imposing too. Clearly both characters are remembered due to the actors that made them, they both really gave the film a classic 'proper' feel.

This final outing really had it all, great space battles, quirky jokes and even a good old fashioned alien filled prison on a snow planet, every sci-fi needs a good Mos Eisley cantina type moment. I loved that whole idea and seeing all the odd aliens (who wouldn't), just a shame it didn't quite look as good as it should of but there are some glorious location shots later on which really sell it.

Very much in tone with the first new prequel if you ask me, in fact the prequel borrowed the snow planet idea briefly methinks. An extremely fun film to watch which has all the hallmarks of an epic space opera, the typical good humour we all know and love plus bright vivid visuals that really heighten your enjoyment and add an almost comicbook adaptation feel to the proceedings.

A stirring send off with all the team inscribing their signatures across the screen against a space background whilst the classic Star Trek theme plays in the background. It was a beautiful way to go and almost brings a tear to your eye, and I'm not a Trekkie.

The final film, the best film and the perfect finale.

grucl -> RE: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (6/7/2012 9:07:10 AM)

A good film!

Some trivia:
The sentence "DON'T WAIT FOR THE TRANSLATION. Answer me now." is a direct quote from a UN hearing during the Cuban Missle Crisis in 1962 (then spoken by US ambassador Adlai Stevenson)

WilliamRoss -> RE: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (11/7/2012 1:32:36 PM)

The Undiscovered Country is overrated and I say that as a Star Trek nerd. It's not bad of course, Chang is one of the better ST movie villains and the cold war stuff worked really well (only Nixon could go to China...), but the rescue of Kirk/Bones is just preposterous, even by ST standards. Not only do they risk starting a war by violating klingon space and breaking them out of prison, they do it in a way that's just...[sm=rolleyes10.gif]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBgQIs5dWvE [sm=893banghead-thumb.gif]

Phubbs -> RE: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (11/7/2012 4:30:35 PM)

I think that's what you call classic Trek comedy and charm.

WilliamRoss -> RE: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (12/7/2012 10:52:01 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs

I think that's what you call classic Trek comedy and charm.
No, this scene is a parody and could have been part of GalaxyQuest. The usual comedy consists of funny little dialogue scene like the one after Kirk/bones are beamed back on the Enterprise (Damn it! What the hell? Son of a... Couldn't you have waited two seconds?...).
And what it makes worse is the plot itself. Azetbur tells the Federation that she will consider any attempt to free Kirk as an act of war and what the first thing the Enterprise crew does? They break him out.
Don't get me wrong, I still consider ST6 to be a good movie, but the conspiracy-plot isn't that good. Because everything actually is about overcoming prejudice, the conspiracy becomes a series of plot devices to make it work.

Phubbs -> RE: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (12/7/2012 4:34:08 PM)

^A parody of what?

The classic crew of Star Trek has always been about little scenes like that, as I said that's what gives the original crew/films their charm.

WilliamRoss -> RE: Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (12/7/2012 6:22:10 PM)

Of Star Trek ;)

Usually it was funny dialogue between the crew, mainly Spock and Bones. That's different IMHO. You probably have to take this rescue with humor, so it may be OK after all.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.173828E-02