Martha Marcy May Marlene (2012 / Sean Durkin) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films

MonsterCat -> Martha Marcy May Marlene (2012 / Sean Durkin) (27/6/2012 11:12:01 PM)

[image]http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/martha-marcy-may-marlene-poster.jpg[/image]

Saw this last night and I'm still thinking about. It is basically fucking awesome. An insidiously creepy and utterly riveting psychological thriller, with two amazing performances from John Hawkes (Where was this man's Oscar nod?) and Elizabeth Olsen (Sister to Mary Kate and Ashley). Also - I think this new guy, Sean Durkin, is clearly a talented young director. I hope to see more his stuff in the near future

MMMM is one of those sadly all to rare films that requires you to actually pay attention and to fit the pieces together yourself. It is now in my top 5 favourite films of 2012, and I urge you all to do yourself a favour and go watch this.

Whistler -> RE: Martha Marcy May Marlene (2012 / Sean Durkin) (28/6/2012 9:58:46 AM)

It's grim and unsettling, but superbly acted and beautifully made.

Biggus -> RE: Martha Marcy May Marlene (2012 / Sean Durkin) (28/6/2012 10:51:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

It's grim and unsettling, but superbly acted and beautifully made.

My sentiments exactly. Olsen is incredible in this film.

Lazarus munkey -> RE: Martha Marcy May Marlene (2012 / Sean Durkin) (4/7/2012 11:11:04 PM)

Brilliantly acted but I felt cheated at the end, it's a dreadful way to close the film.

I have no problem with ambiguous endings but this was an idea, not a conclusion, and it ruined the film for me. Shame, because I was really looking forward to this.

Timbzy -> RE: Martha Marcy May Marlene (2012 / Sean Durkin) (5/7/2012 1:07:58 PM)

An ending like that is often an easy way out for a poorly written film, but I felt this type of ending fit the theme and worked really well with the story.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Martha Marcy May Marlene (2012 / Sean Durkin) (9/7/2012 3:56:41 PM)

Its on my Lovefilm list and I am very excited about seeing it, gutted I missed it at the pictures.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Martha Marcy May Marlene (2012 / Sean Durkin) (29/7/2012 4:53:12 PM)

Finally saw this recently and thought it was excellent. Deeply effective, unsettling and deftly acted. The ending was the only question mark for me it did fall a bit flat and didn't seem a completely satisfying way to end things, but I was really impressed overall.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI