A Less Violent Starship Troopers? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> A Less Violent Starship Troopers? (27/6/2012 2:32:26 PM)

Post your comments on this article

presidentcletus -> bs (27/6/2012 2:32:26 PM)

Everything about this is just wrong. No offense to the fans, but I thought the novel was rather boring, but I absolutely adore the film, especially Poledouris score and the annoying teens getting DESTROYED by the Bugs. Fuck this guy and fuck this remake.

Primus -> Starship Troopers wasn't an 80s sci-fi... (27/6/2012 2:48:13 PM)

...it came out in 1997. Just sayin'.

Dropje -> (27/6/2012 2:58:34 PM)

"Y'know, one man's fascism is another man's patriotism."
Does this mean that, 15 years later, at least one American has realized that this Dutch director had been taking the piss out of them?

Galahadfairlight -> A word about the VFX (27/6/2012 3:09:54 PM)

The comment from the producer to suggest they couldn't do the jump suits back in 1997 is patent nonsense, Verhoeven removed them largely to stop the Humans from being virtually indestructable, and to make them have a believable weakness against the bugs.

The VFX for Starship Troopers still stands up today as being excellent, and I very much doubt that the VFX for the new incarnation are remotely going to make the old movie look silly!

LSJShez -> (27/6/2012 3:20:37 PM)

I WOULDN'T LIKE TO KNOW MORE!

waltham1979 -> RE: (27/6/2012 3:31:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dropje

"Y'know, one man's fascism is another man's patriotism."
Does this mean that, 15 years later, at least one American has realized that this Dutch director had been taking the piss out of them?

[sm=happy07.gif]

Nicky C -> RE: Starship Troopers wasn't an 80s sci-fi... (27/6/2012 4:24:30 PM)

And neither was Total Recall, which came out in 1990. Empire, if you can't get this sh*t right, what hope is there for the rest of us?

chris kilby -> RE: Starship Troopers wasn't an 80s sci-fi... (27/6/2012 4:57:18 PM)

Let's face it, a Starship Troopers remake could hardly be more violent.

One of the most underrated, misunderstood and funniest movies of the 90s, if anything, Starship Troopers is even more subversive than the sublime Robocop. Loved how the Verhoeven version was a merciless piss-take of Heinlein's po-faced fascist tract - I will take the sight of Doogie Howser dressed like Herr Flick and solemnly intoning "There's a brain bug on Planet P!" with me to the grave. How could you not love a movie where the baddies are Nazi 90210/Melrose Place mannequins and the goodies are giant bugs? I just wish I coulda seen the blank look on Denise Richards' glaekit wee face when she solemnly told EMPIRE: "Oh, I don't think [Starship Troopers] is making fun of America." Sure it isn't!

That the dumbass cast weren't even in on the joke just makes it all the funnier - me and my mates hooted through this like pissed-up owls on crack at the cinema when it came it out. Jump suits or not, I can't imagine any remake ever topping this. Even if it didn't ditch the satire which was the best thing about it.

Mind you, be funny if the dreaded Paul WS Anderson directed it. On second thoughts, no it wouldn't. (That 'WS' stands for 'Wanton Shite' BTW!)

olirog -> May the Bugs kill this! (27/6/2012 5:04:59 PM)

How on (or off) earth can they even be considering this?! Verhoeven's movie is just pitch-perfect even now!

Rich Empire -> RE: A word about the VFX (27/6/2012 5:12:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Galahadfairlight

The comment from the producer to suggest they couldn't do the jump suits back in 1997 is patent nonsense, Verhoeven removed them largely to stop the Humans from being virtually indestructable, and to make them have a believable weakness against the bugs.

The VFX for Starship Troopers still stands up today as being excellent, and I very much doubt that the VFX for the new incarnation are remotely going to make the old movie look silly!

I couldn't agree more. The VFX are STILL great in Starship Troopers.
I remember going to see this in the cinema with my whole family and being over joyed when we left.
They really don't make 'em like this anymore.
To re-make this film is pointless in my opinion, you have a mountain to climb, it was one of Verhoeven's crowning achievements in satirical film-making.

MaxRenn -> non dimensional (27/6/2012 8:41:00 PM)

Really hope this is in 3D...which will give me even more of a reason NOT TO GO AND SEE THIS!!!!!!

UTB -> RE: non dimensional (27/6/2012 9:10:26 PM)

So wait, this is going to be a watered down cash in on a familiar name?

NO WAY!!

BatSpider -> Starship Troopers - pure cinematic pleasure (27/6/2012 11:05:35 PM)

The f/x is amazing and those spider bugs are awesomely realistic and dangerous looking. Won't be beaten. Jaffe can go fuck himself... non-violently and non-ironically of course.

bjbdigital -> Well atleast we will get crap CGI "jump packs" (28/6/2012 6:25:45 AM)

Who cares if they remove a large chunk unique factors of what made Verhoeven's film unique and a success in almost every regard outside of gross. I would probably be more concerned if I believed this film was a sure thing but I am having a hard time believing this remake will happen. Total Recall 2012 looks average at best, and the details so far for Robocop also come off as "meh".

BenTramer -> This Really Bugs Me (28/6/2012 6:53:19 AM)

Instead of remaking all of Paul Verhoeven's great sci-fi movies, I wish the great man would just be given the money to make a new one. He could return to the genre like Ridley Scott did with Prometheus. None of these remakes will be anywhere near as good as they're made by copycat hacks. Verhoeven is a true auteur and ultraviolence was and is his trademark.

Overmind -> RE: This Really Bugs Me (28/6/2012 9:31:25 AM)

Please people! Learn the difference between a remake and a new adaption.

This is gonna be a new adaption of the book. And I look forward to it.
I was a great fan of the movie until I read the book. And what a great book, and a horible interpretation.
Mr Veerhoven just couldnt grasp what the book was about. He was disgusted and didnt even finnished it. And that says it all.
Yes the movie is easy fun and the vfx are great but it has nothing to do with the book.
I welcome a faithful adaption.

blue_lion -> Screw Remakes : Why not take a stab at something different ? (28/6/2012 12:33:02 PM)

Michael Cobleys Humanity’s Fire Trilogy would be awesome on film (or a Game Of Thrones type series - come on HBO) ! Anyone for "Seeds of Earth" ?

kumar -> (28/6/2012 6:00:59 PM)

"With Recall in particular, we made a conscious choice to keep it tonally closer to something like Minority Report. It gives the studio, and us as producers, the opportunity to reintroduce it in a new way."

We can introduce it in a new way by making it look like something you have seen before? wat?

Dropje -> RE: Starship Troopers wasn't an 80s sci-fi... (29/6/2012 11:20:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris kilby

One of the most underrated, misunderstood and funniest movies of the 90s, if anything, Starship Troopers is even more subversive than the sublime Robocop. Loved how the Verhoeven version was a merciless piss-take of Heinlein's po-faced fascist tract - I will take the sight of Doogie Howser dressed like Herr Flick and solemnly intoning "There's a brain bug on Planet P!" with me to the grave. How could you not love a movie where the baddies are Nazi 90210/Melrose Place mannequins and the goodies are giant bugs?

Same actor, even better moment : the soldiers have caught the Brain Bug. Herr Flick approaches the creature and places his hand on it as it shivers and makes all kinds of whimpering sounds. Then he summons all his psychic powers to finally announce : " It's afraid ! " How can you not love this, indeed.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: This Really Bugs Me (2/7/2012 9:39:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Overmind

I was a great fan of the movie until I read the book. And what a great book, and a horible interpretation.
Mr Veerhoven just couldnt grasp what the book was about. He was disgusted and didnt even finnished it. And that says it all.
Yes the movie is easy fun and the vfx are great but it has nothing to do with the book.

I am pretty sure he understood the book perfectly...and proceeded to take the everloving piss out of it. Not the first person to do so btw - other sci-fi writers had been ripping it apart before - even the Forever War is a response to it.

A direct translation of the book will be a miserable experience.

elab49 -> RE: This Really Bugs Me (2/7/2012 10:35:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Overmind

I am pretty sure he understood the book perfectly...and proceeded to take the everloving piss out of it. Not the first person to do so btw - other sci-fi writers had been ripping it apart before - even the Forever War is a response to it.

A direct translation of the book will be a miserable experience.

Indeed. If they hadn't understood it they couldn't possibly have satirised it quite so effectively. I doubt any adaptee could credibly go with an unthinking presentation of the themes in the book - they'd be laughed out the cinema in most places and shown religiously to the type of audience we'd should be glad will probably never hear of it because it requires the ability to read.

rich -> RE: This Really Bugs Me (3/7/2012 12:15:26 AM)

I'm from 1997 and I say kill 'em all!!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI