10 Things You Need To Know About Dredd (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online

Empire Admin -> 10 Things You Need To Know About Dredd (27/6/2012 1:49:34 PM)

Post your comments on this article

warren7355 -> Not bad... (27/6/2012 1:49:34 PM)

But 'murderous'? Hardly! Yes, he may technically have a killcount in the hundreds of millions, but every single one was also technically self defence. ;-)

danbo1138 -> Executions or self defense,not murders. (27/6/2012 3:15:03 PM)

Just a badass doing his job.Thats like saying somebody in the army is a murderer.

danbo1138 -> Executions or self defense,not murders. (27/6/2012 4:16:25 PM)

Just a badass doing his job.Thats like saying somebody in the army is a murderer.

TheDarkKnightEdin91 -> Executioner/ enforcer. (27/6/2012 7:35:13 PM)

Dredd is not a murderer. he enforces the law in a brutal post apocalyptic city/ cesspit. That's like saying John Mclane, Axel Foley and Bad Boys are murderers lol. I love the comics, and was 50/50 when i saw the trailer. Glad his helmet will be staying firmly on though!!!

BenTramer -> "Judge Not, Lest Ye Be Judged." (28/6/2012 6:27:24 AM)

Crime in Dredd's world has got so bad that there's no time to wait for a trial. He is judge, jury and executioner all in one. So he carries out death sentences on the spot. It would depend on whether you consider the death penalty to be murder as to whether Dredd is "murderous" or whether you believe him to be enforcing the law of his time the way cops and judges do now.

Count Karnstein -> murderer? (28/6/2012 11:39:20 AM)

dredd is clearly a fascist and a murderer...
that's actually the interesting thing about the character, that there is no compromise, and it prompts its audience to question the morality of its central "hero".
many films Die Hard, Beverly Hills Cop et al fail to do that, offering simple narratives that feed our 'he was evil, hence he deserved it' need.
just my view, but people in the army are state sanctioned killers (whether u choose the word 'murderer' or not, there's often little difference). its all just language to make ourselves feel better and not ask difficult questions.

lisamoorish -> Dredd did show his face at least once (28/6/2012 12:50:42 PM)

You see it when he [SPOILERS] has taken the Long Walk into the Cursed Earth at the end of 'Tale of the Dead Man'. Though of course [SPOILERS] he comes back.

elab49 -> RE: Dredd did show his face at least once (28/6/2012 2:12:09 PM)

Great, now my posts are disappearing too [:D]

So - capital punishment = murder depending on the side of the line, particularly when no trials are involved. It's a call on a way of life - one Dredd questioned himself when he took the Long Walk and which you can see in contrast to the other parts of the world still functioning. Mega City 1's justice is not universal and it's often been examined in the stories when they come into contact with other cities. I always liked Dredd's interactions with Armitage.

huoyuehmok -> RE: Dredd did show his face at least once (1/7/2012 9:27:59 AM)

he may technically have a killcount in the hundreds of millions[img]http://www.avufo.info/g.gif[/img]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI