RE: Best of times, worst of times (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

grucl -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 8:01:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

Guillermo del Toro; Pans Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone, The Orphanage, Hellboy & Hellboy 2 to Mimic

Peter Jackson; Heavenly Creatures, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Lovely Bones & Braindead to The Frighteners

What do you mean "to"?
Both The Frighteners and Mimic came way before most of the other films. So it's the other way around, really.

st3veebee -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 10:01:59 AM)

quote:

Charlie Chaplin; The Great Dictator, The Kid, The Gold Rush, Modern Times, A Woman of Paris, Monsieur Verdoux & Limelight to A King in New York.

Buster Keaton; Sherlock, Jr., The General, The Scarecrow & Three Ages to The Playhouse.

David Lynch; The Elephant Man, Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire & Blue Velvet to ... still waiting to see a bad Lynch to be honest!

Stanley Kubrick; A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb & The Shinning to Eyes Wide Shut.

Guillermo del Toro; Pans Labyrinth, The Devil's Backbone, The Orphanage, Hellboy & Hellboy 2 to Mimic

Mathieu Kassovitz; La Haine to Babylon A.D.

Michel Gondry; The Science of Sleep & Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to Be Kind Rewind

F. W. Marnau; Nosferatu, Sunshine: A Song of Two Humans & Faust. Again, haven't seen a bad Marnau to date.

Fritz Lang; Metropolis, M & Frau im Mond. Not seen a bad Lang yet either to be fair.

Peter Jackson; Heavenly Creatures, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, The Lovely Bones & Braindead to The Frighteners

Firstly a bad Lynch very much exists in Dune (but does it have after their initial good work?) and secondly: do you actually believe that Jackson went downhill with The Frighteners?!? I thought that was universally loved!

Rebenectomy -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 10:17:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

I think Coppola is the obvious one - defined the modern gangster film with The Godfather and then made The Godfather Part 3.

Really, you're going with GFIII as his worst?

I'm a big Robin Williams fan, but even I prefer GFIII to Jack...

I actually thought Reb was going for something more specific with her original post tbh (the idea of a director making a really good superhero film, and then a really poor one being her initial example in Singer), so thats why I went for the two gangster flicks in the same directors body of work.

Wasn't especially what I had in mind, more going from one extreme to the other, but it does raise an interesting thread within thread of people who have helped define a genre, then go on to produce some really poor examples of it. I know I'm going to incur some wrath for this, but in my mind Carpenter made Halloween, a definitive horror and then soiled himself with The Fog.

matty_b -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 10:19:32 AM)

You have incurred my wrath.

elab49 -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 10:22:32 AM)

Wrath may be a mild term for it. Personally I rank Fog higher than Halloween! [:D]

Although I doubt you'd have as much flack from some if you'd maybe gone for The Ward. But Prince of Darkness - which not gets a bit of a different view from some, was seen as one of the worst and silliest horrors to hit the screen when it came out and Carpenter was the target of a lot of it. So maybe that?

I think for a lot of foreign directors there's a really short step when they go to Hollywood. eg Nimrod Antal - Kontroll then the plummet to Vacancy and Predators.

NCC1701A -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 10:25:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

quote:

Charlie Chaplin; The Great Dictator, The Kid, The Gold Rush, Modern Times, A Woman of Paris, Monsieur Verdoux & Limelight to A King in New York.

Buster Keaton; Sherlock, Jr., The General, The Scarecrow & Three Ages to The Playhouse.

David Lynch; The Elephant Man, Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire & Blue Velvet to ... still waiting to see a bad Lynch to be honest!

Stanley Kubrick; A Clockwork Orange, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb & The Shinning to Eyes Wide Shut.

Michel Gondry; The Science of Sleep & Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind to Be Kind Rewind

F. W. Marnau; Nosferatu, Sunshine: A Song of Two Humans & Faust. Again, haven't seen a bad Marnau to date.

Fritz Lang; Metropolis, M & Frau im Mond. Not seen a bad Lang yet either to be fair.

Firstly a bad Lynch very much exists in Dune (but does it have after their initial good work?) and secondly: do you actually believe that Jackson went downhill with The Frighteners?!? I thought that was universally loved!

I  would take The Frighteners over any of the Lord of the Rings films any day. 

Rebenectomy -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 10:41:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Wrath may be a mild term for it. Personally I rank Fog higher than Halloween! [:D]

That's exactly the kind of talk I'd expect from an enemy of film. I just thought the Fog had zero suspense, annoying characters and really crappy ghosts. Halloween is a masterpiece.

adambatman82 -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 10:55:30 AM)

quote:

Murnau is a good example actually, the jump from Die Finanzen des Großherzogs to Der letzte Mann is probably the greatest jump in quality within any filmmakers oeuvre. The former is forgettable Murnau at best, while the latter redefined the cinema completely, giving us the style of camerawork that we're still familiar with to this day.

quote:

Eyes Wide Shut is actually my favourite Kubrick film, alongside Barry Lyndon. There are a few major skips in his work tho - the snoozefest that is Spartacus led directly in to Lolita, while I don't particularly rate Full-Metal Jacket, but as I've said I do love Eyes Wide Shut.

elab49 -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 10:59:38 AM)

The Grand Duke's Finances is only a deliberately light piece though, almost a whimsy (although the politics of the money is quite interesting given the period). But I think you can certainly see the director of Nosferatu and Phantom in the later films - Grand Duke almost seems like a deliberate time out rather than a drop. Haunted Castle would be the lowest ranked of those I'd seen and, again, that's starting with the worst and moving up. [:)]

shatnerhamster -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 11:44:02 AM)

Ridley Scott surely wins this prize?
In 1982 he makes Blade Runner. Best film of that year, one of the greatest science fiction films of all time, and one of my personal top 20 films.

In 1985 - his very next film - he makes Legend. Worst film of that year, the worst fantasy film of all time, and one of my personal bottom 10 films.

No other director has made as good a film as Blade Runner and as bad a film as Legend in the space of a single career, let alone a single decade.

adambatman82 -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 11:53:49 AM)

quote:

The Grand Duke's Finances is only a deliberately light piece though, almost a whimsy (although the politics of the money is quite interesting given the period). But I think you can certainly see the director of Nosferatu and Phantom in the later films - Grand Duke almost seems like a deliberate time out rather than a drop. Haunted Castle would be the lowest ranked of those I'd seen and, again, that's starting with the worst and moving up. [:)]

Yeah, and it was the nature of the beast at the time for a lot of filmmakers: Finanzen and Letzte were put out in the same calendar year, so there just wasn't the time to redefine cinema with every film! Same goes for a lot of Chaplin's shorts. I think many of Hitchcock's silents are very hit or miss too.

Rob -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 12:51:44 PM)

Firstly I'm stunned my some of the suggestions here

Superman Returns "one of the worst comic book movies ever"? Really? It's flipping great and even if it wasn't it doesn't even come close to being the worst.
Godfather Part 3 - actually is pretty damn good

As for my shouts.

Michael Bay: Bad Boys, The Rock and even Armageddon - great, great action films. Transformers 2 - simply sh*te
Joel Schumacher: The Lost Boys was one of my favourite films growing up. However, Batman and Robin is the sh*test film ever made

great_badir -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 12:56:12 PM)

These two win the thread:

Joseph Sargent - The Taking of Pelham 123 to Jaws: The Revenge

Ted Kotcheff - Wake In Fright and First Blood to Weekend at Bernie's and several Red Shoe Diaries

great_badir -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 12:57:38 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shatnerhamster
In 1982 he makes Blade Runner. Best film of that year, one of the greatest science fiction films of all time, and one of my personal top 20 films.

In 1985 - his very next film - he makes Legend. Worst film of that year, the worst fantasy film of all time, and one of my personal bottom 10 films.

No other director has made as good a film as Blade Runner and as bad a film as Legend in the space of a single career, let alone a single decade.

I refer you to my post above.

And, actually, despite the presence of Cruise, I really like Legend. It's still the best screen representation of the devil ever.

jcthefirst -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 1:09:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NCC1701A

quote:

quote:

I  would take The Frighteners over any of the Lord of the Rings films any day. 

While not quite taking The Frighteners over LOTR I would easily rank it above Braindead and The Lovely Bones.

NinjaShortbread212 -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 1:22:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: grucl

quote:

What do you mean "to"?
Both The Frighteners and Mimic came way before most of the other films. So it's the other way around, really.

Have you not read the thread's title? "To" means every film I listed before is (IMHO) the director's best and after "to", worst. Quite simple really. Order doesn't come into it, didn't know it had to really. [&:]

quote:

quote:

OK, well each to their own I guess. Again, just my personal opinion. [:)]

great_badir -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 1:27:23 PM)

I'm having trouble thinking of something for the second question of dreadful to amazing.

adambatman82 -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 2:37:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

I'm having trouble thinking of something for the second question of dreadful to amazing.

Coppola again for me. Jack to Tetro is just that, as is possibly Godfather 3 to Dracula. Being a big fan of Godard means that pretty much all of his 90's works trumped by his last couple of masterpieces too.

Oh, and Woody Allen - You Will Meet ATall Dark Stranger = one of last years worst (if not the worst) followed it up with Midnight In Paris, which is my favourite film of his.

adambatman82 -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 2:40:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

Superman Returns "one of the worst comic book movies ever"? Really? It's flipping great and even if it wasn't it doesn't even come close to being the worst.

I stand by my assertion that it's a dreadful film anyway, but the fact that the Godfather Part 3 followed two of the greatest films of all time somehow makes it even worse.

Agree about Superman Returns tho, I'm a big fan.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 2:57:49 PM)

The correct answer is Roland Joffé

From The Killing Fields and The Mission, to Captivity and There Will Be Dragons.

Rob -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 3:10:18 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

I stand by my assertion that it's a dreadful film anyway, but the fact that the Godfather Part 3 followed two of the greatest films of all time somehow makes it even worse.

Agree about Superman Returns tho, I'm a big fan.

I actually haven't seen Godfather Part 3 for a few years but whilst obviously not a batch on part 1 and 2 I remember it being pretty reasonable. However, it's been a while and I can't recall too much about it so I could be talking rubbish.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

The correct answer is Roland Joffé

From The Killing Fields and The Mission, to Captivity and There Will Be Dragons.

That's a very good shout. Also didn't he do some directing on Super Mario Brothers?!?!

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 3:15:12 PM)

He did indeed, although not credited (I think)

Rob -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 3:16:35 PM)

Well in that case surely that's this thread done with. [:D]

directorscut -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 3:16:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shatnerhamster

Legend is awesome you philistine.

horribleives -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 3:17:17 PM)

quote:

Although I doubt you'd have as much flack from some if you'd maybe gone for The Ward. But Prince of Darkness - which not gets a bit of a different view from some, was seen as one of the worst and silliest horrors to hit the screen when it came out and Carpenter was the target of a lot of it. So maybe that?

I think for a lot of foreign directors there's a really short step when they go to Hollywood. eg Nimrod Antal - Kontroll then the plummet to Vacancy and Predators.

You can add Mathieu Kassovitz to that little sub-group.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 3:19:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

quote:

You can add Mathieu Kassovitz to that little sub-group.

Gavin Hood...

directorscut -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 3:25:31 PM)

Also from bad to great;

I haven't seen it but Ridley Scott's first historical epic 1492: Conquest to Paradise is widely considered to be bleh then he made Gladiator.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 3:26:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Also from bad to great;

I haven't seen it but Ridley Scott's first historical epic 1492: Conquest to Paradise is widely considered to be bleh then he made Gladiator.

GI Jane inbetween those two films.

directorscut -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 3:30:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Also from bad to great;

GI Jane inbetween those two films.

I wouldn't exactly describe G.I. Jane as a historical epic.

The Big Guy -> RE: Best of times, worst of times (27/6/2012 4:03:17 PM)

Interesting thread.

Given what has been said about directors like John Carpenter, I think perhaps horror brings out the best and worst in directors. It is perhaps a difficult genre to judge? I am thinking in particular of Tobe Hooper. He directed The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, dipped a little with Poltergeist, and then shot through the bottom of the genre with Crocodile.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
6.640625E-02