RE: best bruce wayne (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

fuzzy -> RE: best bruce wayne (30/6/2012 6:51:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

For me Keaton's Wayne had charm, charisma, eccentricity, plus you could really sense a darkness lurking behind those great eyes, a proper mystique. And he had something else that I thought was invaluable; a sense of humour. Something that, for me anyway, Bale's BW seriously lacked. Although Bale's Batman is a serious badass, of course, I just thought his Wayne was a little bland. And a bit too tortured.

Still great films though, but I am biased towards the Burtons because I grew up on them. Plus I thought the casting was ingenious because it was so against type for Keaton, that one wouldn't suspect someone of his stature could transform into a flying nocturnal kick-ass vigilante. That made him so much more compelling for me to watch as a boy.

Agree with all of this. I still think though we haven't seen the perfect Wayne or Batman on screen - if we're going for a comparison to the comics that is. Maybe we never will - this is the movies after all. However, I think Oldman's Gordon is the closest yet.

Ref -> RE: best bruce wayne (30/6/2012 10:05:24 PM)

As much as I enjoyed Burton's Batman films and while Keaton was great - Bale took it up a notch. Like others have mentioned the dual personality of public and private Wayne that Bale does so effortlessly.

st3veebee -> RE: best bruce wayne (2/7/2012 10:37:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

For me Keaton's Wayne had charm, charisma, eccentricity, plus you could really sense a darkness lurking behind those great eyes, a proper mystique. And he had something else that I thought was invaluable; a sense of humour. Something that, for me anyway, Bale's BW seriously lacked. Although Bale's Batman is a serious badass, of course, I just thought his Wayne was a little bland. And a bit too tortured.

Still great films though, but I am biased towards the Burtons because I grew up on them. Plus I thought the casting was ingenious because it was so against type for Keaton, that one wouldn't suspect someone of his stature could transform into a flying nocturnal kick-ass vigilante. That made him so much more compelling for me to watch as a boy.

Agree with all of this. I still think though we haven't seen the perfect Wayne or Batman on screen - if we're going for a comparison to the comics that is. Maybe we never will - this is the movies after all. However, I think Oldman's Gordon is the closest yet.

Seconded. Bale is fantastic, but struggles with humour. Keaton's Batman was a more interesting character in my opinion. Still: Bale would destroy him in a fight!

BadJoke -> RE: best bruce wayne (18/7/2012 12:08:11 AM)

Bale over Keaton
Keaton over Kilmer
Everyone needs to beat up Clooney

st3veebee -> RE: best bruce wayne (18/7/2012 11:52:44 AM)

Here's another way of looking at the Batman casting.

I reckon that Keaton could have played Bale's role in the reboot (presuming he was off the right age) and transitioned into a darker batman with ease, while I find it near impossible to imagine Bale in the Burton films.

Timbzy -> RE: best bruce wayne (18/7/2012 11:04:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

Kevin Conroy.

MonsterCat -> RE: best bruce wayne (19/7/2012 12:00:57 AM)

Adam West.

Larry of Arabia -> RE: best bruce wayne (19/7/2012 12:24:11 AM)

Bale is my favourite anyway, but apparently he's been getting particular praise for Rises after Ledger stole the spotlight in TDK, so I'm wondering if he'll convert anyone after it's released.

He's already converted me. [sm=05.gif]

KnightofZyryab -> RE: best bruce wayne (19/7/2012 12:27:10 PM)

I have a very soft spot for Keaton's characterisation - I still think his performance as Bruce Wayne is interesting in that unlike Bale's more calculated Batman his portrayal is of two identities collapsing into each other - Keaton's Batman/Wayne struggles to separate the dualities.

But overall I think Bale's Batman/Wayne is the best - there can't be much question that he is by far the more intimidating Batman (right physique and hulking movements), and he brings out the tortured side of Wayne perfectly: for reference see TDK when he is talking to Alfred after the Joker kills Rachel, struggling to come to terms with the chaos that his alter ego has indirectly created. He moves across the three identities seamlessly in my opinion.

Dannybohy -> RE: best bruce wayne (19/7/2012 12:49:49 PM)

I say Keaton, also the best Batman, in the best Batman films too. that is all :)

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI