Which is scarier?

Jaws
  82% (24)
The Dark Knight
  17% (5)

Total Votes : 29
(last vote on : 18/7/2012 12:08:53 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )

homersimpson_esq -> Which is scarier? (23/6/2012 10:05:35 PM)

So my 9 yr old son has seen Jaws, and today we watched Batman Begins. I'm still hesitant to show him The Dark Knight because it is so much darker than pretty much every other 12 I know. He's seen all the Avengers films, most of which are 12s, the Transformers films, etc, and he's fine. I almost feel like TDK is one step shy of a 15.

Anyway, thought I'd stick a wee poll on here, see what other people thought.

matty_b -> RE: Which is scarier? (23/6/2012 10:08:52 PM)

Hm, don't think there's anything in The Dark Knight I'd class as that scary for a nine year old - I think that's how old my stepson was when he saw it. All kids are different, of course.

There's definitely some more scares in Jaws, however.

DancingClown -> RE: Which is scarier? (23/6/2012 10:12:30 PM)

It's an odd one. While the tone of Dark Knight is undoubtedly grimmer there are more prolongued sequences of horror in Jaws; thrashing, screaming, blood bubbling everywhere, limbs floating around. You could even argue that Jaws is more grounded in 'reality', seeing as sharks do exist and they do kill, whereas the world of Gotham - while gritty and dark and violent and evocative of most modern cities - is still planted firmly in fantasy.

Then again I remember the first time I saw Jaws on telly when I was a child. My mum says I cried when the shark died.

kumar -> RE: Which is scarier? (23/6/2012 10:17:53 PM)

Jaws was terrifying as a child, right from that underwater opening from the shark POV. Its a long drawn out underwater scene if i remember right which feels unnatural enough then followed by a damsel in distress stranded in the sea glubbing on sea water as she is being pulled and bitten by an unseen monster beneath and ultimately drowned and eaten. This is followed by about 30 minutes of a pretty nice film set on a beach with exposition I never understood, then we are back out at sea where the tension SMASHES the ceiling especially when that music resurfaces. Plus, it has a particularly nasty end for some of the crew. Man that shit was terrifying as a kid.

I imagine Two face could be daunting, but in between all the dialogue im sure your kid will be fine with batman fighting, car chases and other flashy stuff.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Which is scarier? (23/6/2012 10:19:53 PM)

Its weird because I was the opposite when I was that age,because Jaws really messed me up to a point.
But I was also 8/9 when I saw Aliens,Alien and Terminator and neither one of these films scared me as much as Jaws.
And funnily enough the only other film to scare me at the time was also another Spielberg film and that was E.T.

The Dark Knight plays more on fear and terror rather than jump-out scares.But its all about reactions and when your young (a kid) things that terrifey you stick with you for the rest of your life.

Lazarus munkey -> RE: Which is scarier? (23/6/2012 10:23:31 PM)

My 9 & 7 year-old girls have seen both and were fine with them. I'd say there's nothing to be afraid of in those films for a child that's ok with the Scarecrow-hallucinations in Batman Begins.

Spaldron -> RE: Which is scarier? (24/6/2012 12:51:11 AM)

I always found it odd that Jaws was a PG considering how fucked up and brutal it is, especially in comparison to film like TDK which may be more grown up but not scary in the slightest.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Which is scarier? (24/6/2012 1:12:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

I always found it odd that Jaws was a PG considering how fucked up and brutal it is, especially in comparison to film like TDK which may be more grown up but not scary in the slightest.

Oddly enough the re-release has been classified at 12A , which is probably more appropriate given the fountains of blood, severed head and leg etc...

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/BFF040209/

benny the jet -> RE: Which is scarier? (24/6/2012 8:45:31 AM)

Two words, Ben Gardner!

horribleives -> RE: Which is scarier? (24/6/2012 2:31:04 PM)

Obviously I don't know homer's son but I'd hazard a guess if he's 9 he may have already seen stuff far scarier and more violent than Jaws and The Dark Knight....

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Which is scarier? (24/6/2012 5:02:38 PM)

Nah, he's pretty good with films. He's certainly not watched any scary films at mine, despite the fact there's a clear two hours between my children waking up and me waking up when basically my entire DVD collection is there, waiting to be watched... Y'know, films like The Evil Dead, and Day of the Dead, and Crash (Cronenberg).. And Grave of the Fireflies is right there next to the rest of the Ghibli, so it's only a matter of time before they decide to put it in and I come downstairs to find two children hugging their knees, rocking back and forth with a distant look in their eyes...

But I find it hard to decide beyond the obvious ones, what is scary. When The Dark Knight was released, the fact that it was the same rating as Iron man et al seemed bizarre. I'd taken my son to see Indy 4, etc (he was 5 at the time) but the idea of him seeing TDK was anathema. Obviously, he's older now, but him having seen Jaws and the general opinion here, and him enjoying Batman Begins has meant that, next time the children are here, I'll stick on TDK for him, (once his sister is in bed), and take him to see TDKR (assuming I approve once I see it myself, obviously) once it comes out.

horribleives -> RE: Which is scarier? (24/6/2012 5:12:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Nah, he's pretty good with films. He's certainly not watched any scary films at mine, despite the fact there's a clear two hours between my children waking up and me waking up when basically my entire DVD collection is there, waiting to be watched... Y'know, films like The Evil Dead, and Day of the Dead, and Crash (Cronenberg).. And Grave of the Fireflies is right there next to the rest of the Ghibli, so it's only a matter of time before they decide to put it in and I come downstairs to find two children hugging their knees, rocking back and forth with a distant look in their eyes...

But I find it hard to decide beyond the obvious ones, what is scary. When The Dark Knight was released, the fact that it was the same rating as Iron man et al seemed bizarre. I'd taken my son to see Indy 4, etc (he was 5 at the time) but the idea of him seeing TDK was anathema. Obviously, he's older now, but him having seen Jaws and the general opinion here, and him enjoying Batman Begins has meant that, next time the children are here, I'll stick on TDK for him, (once his sister is in bed), and take him to see TDKR (assuming I approve once I see it myself, obviously) once it comes out.

I'd be more worried if they were watching Crash (Haggis). [;)]

Valanya -> RE: Which is scarier? (24/6/2012 5:49:57 PM)

As a kid, two-face would have terrified the bejeesus out of me... but then an episode of Jonathan Creek gave me nightmares for a week at that age [:D] If you're kid's ok with the floating head moment, and all the general blood and people being eaten, then I shouldn't think there's much in TDK that would worry him.

Y'know, unless he hates clowns.

directorscut -> RE: Which is scarier? (24/6/2012 6:03:59 PM)

If you think Two-Face might scare him show him The Mummy first because that's where they got their effects from.

Rebenectomy -> RE: Which is scarier? (24/6/2012 6:19:51 PM)

I don't think it's really about the scariness levels with Dark Knight is it? If you feel your son's able to handle to adult content i.e. violence, death etc and keep up with story, then by all means show him it. He'll probably love it.

As for the poll, then I suppose I'd go with Jaws as having more jump in your seat scares.

Sutty -> RE: Which is scarier? (24/6/2012 6:42:38 PM)

Jaws. Without doubt. The opening scene, Ben Gardners boat, chumming, the dusk attack on the Orca, the demise of Quint. All classic scares. I would say that The Dark Knight is more menacing than scary. All though Jokers "Look at me!" request to the poor tied up fake Batman is pretty chilling!

DazDaMan -> RE: Which is scarier? (24/6/2012 10:55:45 PM)

Without doubt, the shark movie.

the_driver -> RE: Which is scarier? (25/6/2012 2:07:11 PM)

The Dark Knight is very dark and extremely intense also which is one of the things which is so great about like most great horror films it builds an atmosphere or dread and works off that, last year's Kill List is the best example of intensity making for best horror, Show him the Dark Knight to prepare For the dark knight rises

Vitamin F -> RE: Which is scarier? (25/6/2012 3:32:45 PM)

Of course it's Jaws - certainly from a kids perspective. Blood and monsters and jump-shocks are the scares of kids, they're not going to react as much to psychological horror and menace, that stuff plays on the more mature mind.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Which is scarier? (25/6/2012 4:19:26 PM)

Do people genuinely think TDK is scarier than Jaws or are they just taking the piss voting for it? [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI