Transferring iTunes libraries (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base

jcthefirst -> Transferring iTunes libraries (20/6/2012 12:04:21 PM)

So, I'm looking to transfer stuff from my iTunes on my parents computer to my current laptop. Obviously stuff I've imported from CD's is easy enough, but I'm wondering about purchases from the iTunes Store and digital copies of films.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it's a 'no, not possible' at which point I will curse Apple to the skies.

My techie friend has dropped DRM, but I don't know what that means.

elab49 -> RE: Transferring iTunes libraries (20/6/2012 12:20:53 PM)

I'm not sure it's relevant - you can authorise several PCs to play your Itunes purchases (5 I think?) so that would be covered.

This may sound kind of simplistic but is it not a case of backing up your Itunes library and then importing it to the other computer and then authorising it? I didn't do a backup proper for mine but I had transferred it to external memory so when my laptop crashed I just imported those files to Itunes on my new laptop and authorised and it works.

Chief Wiggum -> RE: Transferring iTunes libraries (20/6/2012 3:51:56 PM)

If your friend has dropped the DRM you should be fine, DRM is copyright protection, songs bought from the iTunes store comes with it to prevent copying.

as the DRM has been stripped away, the way I'd do it would be over the network

Share your music folder (c:\users\username\my music) with the network and allow full control

on your parents computer map this new share as a network drive and drag the library to this drive.

make a cup of tea and wait

remove the share from the folder, open up itunes on your laptop and add the my music folder to the itunes library.

The other option would be to get an external HDD - copy the files to that, then copy them to the laptop. (there is a way to take them straight off an Ipod, but I forget how it's done)

elab49 -> RE: Transferring iTunes libraries (20/6/2012 4:03:49 PM)

You just need to hook it up now and it'll copy the library across - again it's just a case of going into options and authorising the computer to play them (it'll ask you for your password to do it).

It's only an option if you can get everything on your Ipod though. Mind you, I'm probably at a disadvantage as I've never bothered upgrading my old Ipod mini.

jcthefirst -> RE: Transferring iTunes libraries (20/6/2012 10:25:00 PM)

Cheers folks. Will try once I get to my parents house.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI