Rock Of Ages (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Rock Of Ages (12/6/2012 12:47:14 PM)

Post your comments on this article

TheMadFatChickKiller -> If you don't like Rock, Olly (12/6/2012 12:47:14 PM)

And from your review you clearly don't, maybe someone a little less bias could have reviewed this? Hair and Cock Rock were all about the ridiculousness, and some of the songs were silly. But that was the point all along. Not seen it, but from some of the titles in your review I'd say a minimum three stars too for cheesiness

Madhava -> Are you guys actually watching the movies? (12/6/2012 1:00:33 PM)

Does Empire just give everything three stars now?

UTB -> RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? (12/6/2012 1:13:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Madhava

Quick! Compare it to Prometheus before someone else does! Too late! 3 stars means Adam Shankman is as good a director as Ridley Scott!

Ali Plumb -> Madhava (12/6/2012 1:19:07 PM)

That's not how star ratings work and you know it... Read the review!

waltham1979 -> RE: If you don't like Rock, Olly (12/6/2012 1:59:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheMadFatChickKiller

And from your review you clearly don't, maybe someone a little less bias could have reviewed this? Hair and Cock Rock were all about the ridiculousness, and some of the songs were silly. But that was the point all along. Not seen it, but from some of the titles in your review I'd say a minimum three stars too for cheesiness

[sm=893banghead-thumb.gif]

Woger -> RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? (12/6/2012 3:14:00 PM)

quote:

It spends on the stars issued; red dwarvess, white dwarves, brown dwarves, neutron stars etc

mgmstudios -> The plot right there in one of the songs (12/6/2012 5:03:44 PM)

I saw this in the west end last year and thorouly enjoyed it. And as such am looking forward to this all star cast Hollywood version. I just feel like i need to point out the films plot is right there in one of its song. Thats part of the humour.
Just a small town girl
Living in a lonely world
She took the midnight train going anywhere
Just a city boy
Born and raised in South Detroit...

sephiroth7 -> NO! (12/6/2012 5:42:19 PM)

Doesn't this stand for everything rock n'roll isn't? Then again, Jovi, Lep, Crue and the like aren't exactly rock n'roll now are they ;)

TheMadFatChickKiller -> RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? (12/6/2012 9:24:25 PM)

The reason I gave it three stars is 1) the comments form won't let you post unless you rate the move and 2) given the names of the songs Olly listed in his review I'd rate ANY film 3 stars for including them. Even a film that comprised a single shot of a plastic bag flapping in the wind. The main point I was getting over was his review included a few too many references to what he thinks of Hair / Cock Rock that were unrelated to the film.

TheMadFatChickKiller -> RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? (12/6/2012 9:24:45 PM)

The reason I gave it three stars is 1) the comments form won't let you post unless you rate the move and 2) given the names of the songs Olly listed in his review I'd rate ANY film 3 stars for including them. Even a film that comprised a single shot of a plastic bag flapping in the wind. The main point I was getting over was his review included a few too many references to what he thinks of Hair / Cock Rock that were unrelated to the film.

TheMadFatChickKiller -> RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? (12/6/2012 9:24:59 PM)

losthighway -> RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? (13/6/2012 10:00:02 PM)

Never saw the stage musical due to some seriously dire reviews but went to the see the film version today and it was good. Admittedly it's way too long, some bits dragged and were unfunny but despite those moments the music is fantastic, the film looks stunning, all the cast give it their best. Oh and Cruise has some seriously great musical set pieces. It's not as good as Shankman's Hairspray by a long shot but it's still definitely worth catching in the cinema for the music played over a big sound system. Overall: 3.5/5

Wild about Wilder -> RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? (14/6/2012 4:03:17 PM)

Cheesy , Corny yes, yes, yes (whoops I'm turning into Daniel Bryan) BUT! is it fun HELL YES! you sit there thinking oh dear this aint gonna work & yet within 5 minutes you're foots tapping away like mad & you find yourself humming along to classic 80s rock from the first song to the last.
It's worth the admission fee alone to see Zeta-Jones performance of Hit Me With Your Best Shot.
4/5 ROCK N ROLL BABY![sm=worship.gif]

J_BUltimatum -> More Aged Rock (15/6/2012 5:42:59 PM)

In all honesty if you want to watch a cast lip sync (badly) to decent music (which the cast have pre-recorded and murdered in a studio beforehand) then save your bucks and get yer folks to do karaoke night with you... Such an awful unnecesary film!!! And if Tom Cruise keeps on insisting in getting his Moobs out in every film I may need to kill him!!

Dalekbuster523 -> RE: More Aged Rock (15/6/2012 6:38:07 PM)

If they wanted to do a rock movie musical,they should've done it based on We will rock you,not Rock of ages. We will rock you has a big,movie style plot that could benefit from special effects that can't be achieved on stage,so would make perfect sense. Plus,it has loads of characters you care about and enjoy watching such as Pop,Galieo,Scaramouche etc.

chris kilby -> RE: More Aged Rock (17/6/2012 11:01:38 AM)

The only trouble with that is: it has a lot of Queen songs in it!

chris kilby -> RE: Are you guys actually watching the movies? (17/6/2012 11:06:17 AM)

quote:

I do hope so. You gotta admit, it makes for an entertaining forum - It's a madhouse! A MADHOUUUUUUUUSE!!!

dannyfletch -> Why Cruise??? (17/6/2012 11:39:58 AM)

Haven't seen this yet so the rating is for cruise alone. From the trailer everyone looks pretty good apart from the annoying Mr I Act The Same In Everything TOM CRUISE? He ruins everything he's in ( apart from Collateral where admittedly he is quite good for a change) and looks sooooo uncool in a role like this. I feel a real rocker or someone like Brad Pitt or Ryan Gosling would've been a lot cooler and better!

Ref -> RE: Why Cruise??? (17/6/2012 3:37:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: dannyfletch

Haven't seen this yet so the rating is for cruise alone. From the trailer everyone looks pretty good apart from the annoying Mr I Act The Same In Everything TOM CRUISE? He ruins everything he's in ( apart from Collateral where admittedly he is quite good for a change) and looks sooooo uncool in a role like this. I feel a real rocker or someone like Brad Pitt or Ryan Gosling would've been a lot cooler and better!

[sm=schild15.gif]

I'm not a massive Tom Cruise fan, but that is a ridiculous statement. Born on the Fourth of July, Interview with a Vampire, Tropic Thunder - definitely not a one note performer, mate.

awesomeo -> RE: Why Cruise??? (18/6/2012 2:18:07 AM)

Valkeryie..

TheMightyBlackout -> Better than I'd feared, but not as good as I'd hoped. (27/6/2012 11:12:02 PM)

30% of Rock of Ages is the best thing I've seen this year.
The other 70% is the absolute worst.

paulyboy -> RE: Better than I'd feared, but not as good as I'd hoped. (28/6/2012 10:14:51 AM)

Not afraid to admit that this was one of the most ludicrously entertaining films I've seen in quite some time. Worth the price of admission alone for the utterly bonkers and laugh out loud "I Want To Know What Love Is" & "Can't Fight This Feeling" numbers alone.

4/5

Dr Lenera -> RE: Better than I'd feared, but not as good as I'd hoped. (28/6/2012 6:34:52 PM)

An initially enjoyable musical which seriously degenerates around half way through, with endless montages to soft rock tunes and a story that is just dragged out interminably. A few scenes of genuine sweetness and some well staged numbers just about keep it watchable. Very limited in its music; in a film called Rock of Ages, surely one has the right to expect more than a bunch of cheesy ballads?

5.5/10

Phubbs -> RE: Better than I'd feared, but not as good as I'd hoped. (30/9/2012 4:36:49 AM)

Rock of Ages

Two reasons why I saw this film, one the fact its supposedly filled with classic 80's rock tracks and two, the word on the street surrounding Mr Cruise's performance as 'Stacee Jaxx'.

Was pretty disappointed straight away to find out the plot is the most basic overused cliched idea that plays out just like 'Burlesque'. Of course being an all out musical you don't expect a fantastic story (well not in this day and age anyway) but the moment the lead female character leaves her small town for the brights lights of the big city I sunk in my chair and groaned.

Zeta Jones' character plot was sooooooo so damn cheesy and cliched too. A politician who is religious and against rock music because it corrupts and twists young minds yet slowly turns to the 'darkside'!! come on guys at least try for something a little inspired.

I think this would have been better with unknowns in the main roles too or at least people who can actually sing and dance properly. Using big name stars just doesn't help in my view, Cruise does a surprisingly good job as the perpetually drunk 'Jaxx' it has to be said but using someone like Alec Baldwin!!?. I have to admit that Brand was a good casting choice (one of the only ones), he looks the part and also acts the part in reality! unsure about his odd Brummie-ish accent though.

On the other hand then you have casting like Julianne Hough, your stereotypical boring limp wet blonde who has the same kind of vacuous part in 'Burlesque'.

I personally didn't get on with the film much. I kinda expected something akin to classics like 'Little Shop' or 'Rocky Horror' but all I saw was a cliched unoriginal concept with various classic songs butchered by various unknown people. Does make you appreciate the actual artists and their skills, oh and by the way many songs in this film aren't actually rock songs.

I can't really berate this film too much because it does exactly what its suppose to do and that's give you the viewer a good time without using your brain much. The plot is lame, acting generally is cheesy or bad and the songs are badly sung...but the big time visuals and dance sequences will be liked by many I'm sure. What gets me is the fact the creators have settled on such a basic boring idea when I'm sure this could of been something pretty special.

Ref -> RE: Better than I'd feared, but not as good as I'd hoped. (7/4/2013 12:25:40 AM)

So I caught this on tele today and did not enjoy it. The plot itself was the same tired old script of boy meets girl, misunderstanding which causes them to part and then reconciliation. The songs were not really rock, ok so you had a Guns 'n' Roses song in there at the beginning which lead me to believe that we'd get some decent rock songs. Alas the songs were mostly pop or power ballads.

Cruise, Zeta-Jones, Baldwin were good - the rest were poor-to-ok.

2/5

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.515625E-02