Damon Lindelof Rewriting World War Z (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Damon Lindelof Rewriting World War Z (9/6/2012 12:10:59 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Histeria -> RE: Also... (9/6/2012 3:08:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: darthshellers

People forget that Joss Wheaton wrote Alien Resurrection.... Now that film was really bad.... but then again, the scriptwriter is not in any control over what finally appears on screen.

A fair point. Despite getting sole credit for the screenplay, Whedon claims very little of what he wrote ended up on screen. The studio certainly completely changed the ending.

Histeria -> RE: Lindelof Bashing??????? Really!! (10/6/2012 10:23:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kittybinks

Whilst I concur Prometheus is not perfect it is not the disaster some of you say it is.
Fact! AVP, AVP:Requiem and Alien Ressurection managed to bastardise and destroy a much respected franchise.

Hmmm... In terms of atomsphere, dialogue, internal logic and quality I'd suggest Prometheus has a lot more in common with Alien: Resurrection than the three preceding Alien films.

elab49 -> RE: Also... (10/6/2012 10:59:49 AM)

quote:

People forget that Joss Wheaton wrote Alien Resurrection.... Now that film was really bad.... but then again, the scriptwriter is not in any control over what finally appears on screen.

And he's repeatedly said the film is not the film he wrote.

And Hollywood seems blind to writer incompetence. If it makes money it must be good - they're idiots.

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Also... (10/6/2012 1:14:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

And he's repeatedly said the film is not the film he wrote.

And Hollywood seems blind to writer incompetence. If it makes money it must be good - they're idiots.

90% of what he wrote is in the film. Not to mention he has this awful habbit of blaming other people for rubbish script moments.

BatSpider -> RE: elab49: (10/6/2012 1:17:01 PM)

quote:

I find it intriguing how people use phrases like "writer incompetence" without first having the finished Lindelof contributions in unfilmed-script-form. This is perhaps the only way you can fully assess the work he has done on the script. Like I wrote before, Scott often disctates what he wants in his movies, which is precisely why he brought in a second scriptwriter. You also express these opinions as though they are facts, which clearly they aren't...

I also find the hyperbole some of you lot are using to be slightly sad.... after all, a lot of us actually liked Prometheus; just 'cos some were disappointed in it, you react as though it's one of the worst films ever made. With a current IMDB rating of 7.8/10 from over 32,000 votes, it seems that is you who are in the minority here.

Bruv, I can't be bothered to check coz I'm not a statistician or a lawyer, but I'd bet something like Transformers 2 and 3 got similar scores on that site. Not that I ever needed an external resource to make up my own mind whether a movie is rubbish or not.

elab49 -> RE: elab49: (10/6/2012 2:34:55 PM)

quote:

I find it intriguing how people use phrases like "writer incompetence" without first having the finished Lindelof contributions in unfilmed-script-form. This is perhaps the only way you can fully assess the work he has done on the script. Like I wrote before, Scott often disctates what he wants in his movies, which is precisely why he brought in a second scriptwriter. You also express these opinions as though they are facts, which clearly they aren't...

I also find the hyperbole some of you lot are using to be slightly sad.... after all, a lot of us actually liked Prometheus; just 'cos some were disappointed in it, you react as though it's one of the worst films ever made. With a current IMDB rating of 7.8/10 from over 32,000 votes, it seems that is you who are in the minority here.

And Transformers has 7.2. Which is why there's no sensible way to use IMDB as a guide to what is 'good'. Although I am not with the metascore of 64 either. And I think Ebert's gone very odd! [:D]

Prometheus isn't the only thing I've seen that Lindelof has put his name to, though. And I've also seen The Darkest Hour - I wouldn't put sole blame on Lindelof for the very poor script. Well, I say that. And then I look at his IMDB listing again.

Deviation -> RE: elab49: (10/6/2012 5:08:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

Bruv, I can't be bothered to check coz I'm not a statistician or a lawyer, but I'd bet something like Transformers 2 and 3 got similar scores on that site. Not that I ever needed an external resource to make up my own mind whether a movie is rubbish or not.

If I remember well they were quite lower than the first. And they definitely are now.

It's holding quite well too, not that it means anything.

waltham1979 -> RE: BatSpider: (11/6/2012 9:07:52 AM)

I wish they would just go back to the drawing board with this film altogether. From the footage that has shown up on-line so far looking nothing like the source material and looking more like...spoilers below:

...28 Days later, with running zombies that do not eat people, merely bite them and 'infect' them before getting up and sprinting to the next victim, whilst the person has been bitten has a fit then gets up and immediately starts attacking people; I feel that the film makers have clearly missed the point of the book.

I know it seems ridiculous to write off a film before its even come out, but being a lover of the book I am getting increasingly concerned about how good (or bad) this film is going to be. Rewrites, on set footage, arguments, massive reshoots...it ain't looking good. [:(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI