Prometheus (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Prometheus (30/5/2012 9:07:42 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 9:11:23 PM)

There's a storm coming...

To the mods - good luck and god bless!

Scruffybobby -> Brace for impact! (30/5/2012 9:14:12 PM)

this is going to be - interesting...

UTB -> RE: Brace for impact! (30/5/2012 9:17:49 PM)

Are we aloud to use 'from the director of A Good Year' again now?

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Goddamn it! (30/5/2012 9:18:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ingloriouslanda

I knew this was gonna happen, you hype and you hype a movie to the point of making us believing its some sort of masterpiece then you hit us with a 3 star review.

Congrats!

Cool Breeze -> RE: Brace for impact! (30/5/2012 9:19:22 PM)

Annnnddd... let the cries of '' HOW CAN YOU GIVE IT A LESSER RATING THAN ATTACK OF THE CLONES !!!! '' begin! [:D]

Jaybee79 -> RE: Not surprised... (30/5/2012 9:21:11 PM)

I have to admit, I don't take any issue with the rating, but I don't think I've ever read an empire review that sounds so spoilerish. Maybe I'm mistaken and a lot of the stuff stated is revealed in the first ten minutes but I doubt it. I admit Empire, I do feel this review is very substandard (only on the grounds of what seems to be a lot spoilers).

mattdavies86 -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 9:23:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

They have my sympathies. I recall causing some problems a few years ago when I wrote a rather unconsidered response to Damon Wise's 4 star review of Indy 4. He was wrong by the way.

Having read Ian's excellent Alien Vault, he's clearly very passionate about all things Alien, so I imagine it pains him to give it 3 stars (by no means a disaster, but clearly not was hoped), but it's always good to see reviewers taking a step back and see the faults in the final product (unlike Mr Hewitt's classic 5 star review of Attack of the Clones, which I'm sure he fails to go a day without someone mentioning it).

Scruffybobby -> RE: Prometheus (30/5/2012 9:24:21 PM)

How many pages will this thread be be by the time the film opens at midnight Friday? Any one want to open a book?

Woger -> RE: Brace for impact! (30/5/2012 9:25:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Annnnddd... let the cries of '' HOW CAN YOU GIVE IT A LESSER RATING THAN ATTACK OF THE CLONES !!!! '' begin! [:D]

Jason X is my go to film when complaining.

Jaybee79 -> RE: Prometheus (30/5/2012 9:25:57 PM)

Well. At least empire have placed a warning on it now. Bit too late for me I'm afraid but hopefully others will be prewarned.

Col. Kurtz -> RE: Prometheus (30/5/2012 9:27:10 PM)

Empire seems to have added a Spoiler warning header at the beginning of the review, bit late now![:@]

fiercehairdo -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 9:28:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattdavies86

quote:

They have my sympathies. I recall causing some problems a few years ago when I wrote a rather unconsidered response to Damon Wise's 4 star review of Indy 4. He was wrong by the way.

Having read Ian's excellent Alien Vault, he's clearly very passionate about all things Alien, so I imagine it pains him to give it 3 stars (by no means a disaster, but clearly not was hoped), but it's always good to see reviewers taking a step back and see the faults in the final product (unlike Mr Hewitt's classic 5 star review of Attack of the Clones, which I'm sure he fails to go a day without someone mentioning it).

Indeed. I have to say I admire the apparent objectivity here. Empire too often in the past allowed it's reviews to slavishly follow the hype machine. No one could accuse them of that here, thankfully. Doing exactly what a good review should - cut through the hype and advertising to give an honest clear eyed assessment of the movie.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Prometheus (30/5/2012 9:28:35 PM)

What a load of shit!

fiercehairdo -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 9:30:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fiercehairdo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mattdavies86

quote:

Indeed. I have to say I admire the apparent objectivity here. Empire too often in the past allowed it's reviews to slavishly follow the hype machine. No one could accuse them of that here, thankfully. Doing exactly what a good review should - cut through the hype and advertising to give an honest clear eyed assessment of the movie.

Although it has to be admitted they were one of the main organs of the aforementioned hype machine...

Jaybee79 -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 9:31:30 PM)

Well the warning has now gone but the text is all red :D

elab49 -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 9:32:39 PM)

That's not relevant to the review of the final film, though. You can be tremendously excited about a forthcoming film - doesn't make the film itself any better. [:)]

Rgirvan44 -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 9:33:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

That's not relevant to the review of the final film, though. You can be tremendously excited about a forthcoming film - doesn't make the film itself any better. [:)]

ELAB HELP ME!

24 HOURS TO GO AND THIS HAPPENS!!!!

elab49 -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 9:39:09 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

ELAB HELP ME!

24 HOURS TO GO AND THIS HAPPENS!!!!

It is kind of baffling. If Empire give a high rating, they're in paid thrall to the studios. If they give a lower rating, they're guilty of participating in the hype.

Reviewing seems to be a pretty thankless occupation IMO.

Judge -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 9:41:57 PM)

Well that's underwhelming. Was sure it was going to be great. Even more disappointing due to the fact that the review clearly reads like a two star review. Not to mention the spoilers.

Jaybee79 -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 9:44:55 PM)

Well. It looks like it has been edited now to remove the worst spoilers. I really am very disappointed they were there in the first place. Has ruined the film somewhat for me. Going to be wary of reading an empire review again for fear of being spoiled :( To clarify what I said earlier. I have no issue with the review itself or the score. Just the spoilers. Caught me completely off guard

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 9:49:06 PM)

"For all the CGI grandiosity, there is a flatness to the mood. Prometheus is strangely impatient, irritable, rushing its set-ups and squandering drama."

I whole heartedly agree with these unfortunetly.
Having witnessed a minor 10 minute scene preview a week back I got this exact feeling.
At the time I thought it was still in it final stages of tweeking,but it wasnt,it sounds like it was the final product.
The 10 minute scene just didnt flow,and it looks like the same flatness is continual throughout the whole film. [&o]

directorscut -> RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN (30/5/2012 9:51:02 PM)

Ian Nathan - what does he know?

Nexus Wookie -> RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN (30/5/2012 9:54:56 PM)

Total Film gave it a far more favourable review - 4 Stars, i'm packing my stuff and moving over there!

horribleives -> RE: Consistency in your reviews (30/5/2012 9:56:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: andrewtrotter

First of all - the unprofessional approach of not having a 'spoiler warning' in your review. You made a mistake and tried to cover it up by putting it up after twenty past nine. Secondly - In the last 4 years your reviews have lacked consistency and in a lot of cases been proven wrong. If Prometheus turns out to be class - ill never believe in your reviews again.

Who asked you to believe in them? I just read 'em, meself.

Woger -> RE: Consistency in your reviews (30/5/2012 9:57:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: andrewtrotter

First of all - the unprofessional approach of not having a 'spoiler warning' in your review. You made a mistake and tried to cover it up by putting it up after twenty past nine. Secondly - In the last 4 years your reviews have lacked consistency and in a lot of cases been proven wrong. If Prometheus turns out to be class - ill never believe in your reviews again.

Different reviewers.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN (30/5/2012 9:57:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Ian Nathan - what does he know?

Hopefully by tomorrow - not a lot![:D]

rawlinson -> RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN (30/5/2012 9:58:22 PM)

LMAO, not even two pages and we've got mentions of Attack of the Clones, people feeling betrayed by reviews, personal abuse against the reviewer and the idea of reviews being proved wrong.

This thread will be awesome.

Col. Kurtz -> RE: Spoilers or what! (30/5/2012 10:00:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jaybee79

Well. It looks like it has been edited now to remove the worst spoilers. I really am very disappointed they were there in the first place. Has ruined the film somewhat for me. Going to be wary of reading an empire review again for fear of being spoiled :( To clarify what I said earlier. I have no issue with the review itself or the score. Just the spoilers. Caught me completely off guard

I agree Empire have really let themselves down here. I'm not sure that the spoilers have been removed the 2nd to last para is the worst and its still there. I think an apology from Mr Nathan would be appropriate!

Nexus Wookie -> RE: IAN "TW*T" NATHAN (30/5/2012 10:00:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

Total Film gave it a far more favourable review - 4 Stars, i'm packing my stuff and moving over there!

They won't love you the way we do.

Ah! Thats sweet! I'll reconsider![:D]

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI