The Angels' Share (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> The Angels' Share (30/5/2012 10:49:07 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Qwerty Norris -> RE: The Angels' Share (3/6/2012 3:39:34 PM)

A real crowd-pleaser of a film which despite suffering from the odd plot contrivance (our protagonist is spared the prospect of a ned ambush thanks to a conveniently timed vehicle intervention by his other half's father), it ultimately succeeds because of Loach's masterful quality in delivering characters & performances you completely believe in & emphasise with. In some ways, it shares a lot with the Dardennes' The Kid With A Bike in the sense of a troubled young individual being dragged back from the clutches of society's edge thanks to the guidance of the right people, yet it also carries a comedic tone that few films designed for belly laughs have managed to achieve this year. The moments of light relief though are earned because of the grounding of social realism that the legendary Brit film-maker does so well in all his films time & time again - with the backdrop of disaffected youth & the lack of prosperity in post credit crunch Britain being the most overwhelming factor. It also never attempts to soften the hard-edges of our main protagonist's past despite his journey towards redemption (of sorts), which in particular is expertly realised in a harrowing scene involving a chilling recollection of one of his previous crimes by the unfortunate victim. A funny, emotional & uplifting drama that is probably one of the more satisfying pieces with a Scottish setting in recent years. It's also Loach's most commercially accessible film in quite some time.

4/5

thedrin -> RE: The Angels' Share (12/6/2012 8:31:31 PM)

Aside from the change of tone a bit over half way through - it's not jarring but it's not smooth either - I really liked this film, and I've been in a really good mood since I left the cinema about 7 hours ago. Recommended.

thedrin -> RE: The Angels' Share (12/6/2012 8:32:30 PM)

Double post. Deleted.

rosskies -> No mention of John Henshaw's work here? (25/9/2012 9:51:56 AM)

He's one of the great unsung heroes of British acting imho.

rosskies -> No mention of John Henshaw's work here? (25/9/2012 9:51:58 AM)

He's one of the great unsung heroes of British acting imho.

GCH -> RE: The Angels' Share (10/1/2013 9:51:50 AM)

Think Joey Barton with an impenetrable Glasgae accent and that is Robbie. I don't usually go for Ken Loach, but I really enjoyed this film, as it did that thing all really good films do; got better as it went along.
Superb acting from all the characters, I especially liked ' The Impressive Toastmaster'.

galvatron -> RE: The Angels' Share (8/8/2013 10:34:06 AM)

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Well worth a watch.

chang -> RE: The Angels' Share (31/12/2013 12:22:40 PM)

Much like a stiff drink at the end of a long day, "The Angels' Share" gets the job done, but you're probably not going to remember it in the morning.

RJNeb2 -> Laced with humour (28/7/2014 8:50:38 AM)

A delightful surprise, this finds Ken Loach in laid-back, gentle form in what can probably best be described as a whisky-laced mix of “The Full Monty” and “Ocean’s 11”. Not that Loach is shirking on the social realism – the film opens with a young man finding himself sentenced to community service. But as our “hero” Robbie finds his feet and takes on some responsibility, the film takes on a looser, more affable feel, ultimately becoming really charming and quite funny. Hilarious opening scene too.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI