Religion You Say? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics

Phubbs -> Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 6:06:10 AM)

You see now this really pisses me off, I'm not a Lady Gaga fan but I have nothing against her or what she gets up to but this is just typical.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-18224783

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/9225687/Lady-Gaga-warned-about-offending-Muslims-during-world-tour.html

http://bulletinoftheoppressionofwomen.com/2012/04/28/lady-gaga-warned-about-offending-indonesian-muslims/

So certain Muslim people in Indonesia think they are religious, they are doing nothing wrong the way they are and Lady Gaga is the 'infidel' much like the rest of the West (usually).

Hypocrites is all I can say here, completely hypocritical nonsense and even though it has nothing to do with me its just really annoying to read it.

So what religion favours violence against your fellow man (generally these days), the religious cleric's or whoever want to protect their way of life and culture by banning an over the top singer and if they don't get their way they will resort to violence!? Is that the religious way of the Muslim faith then?

Surely anyone would think THEY are the infidels for threatening that kind of behaviour against innocent people?

Surely THAT kind of behaviour is 'the devils work' and not just some female in tight revealing outfits.

The funny thing is the show sold out in 2weeks it seems so there are apparently plenty of infidels in Indonesia who want to see the 'devils messenger' perform. Yet because of some idiots many people have to be disappointed, the religious (extremists? can I use that term here? seems so doesn't it) few spoil it for everyone as officials bow down to their demands. I never knew Indonesia was run by a religious dictatorship.

On another note, despite all this its perfectly fine for the same country to make and show a violent film like 'The Raid'! So that isn't the devils work and blasphemous and sinful and the destroyer of morals blah blah blah....

What a load of complete tosh, if your offended then don't watch, simple really and maybe you could respect other cultures also for once huh.

Keyser Sozzled -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 8:09:53 AM)

Oh dear...

borstal -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 9:08:21 AM)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW4s7TETtJA

adambatman82 -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 11:40:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs
So what religion favours violence against your fellow man (generally these days), the religious cleric's or whoever want to protect their way of life and culture by banning an over the top singer and if they don't get their way they will resort to violence!? Is that the religious way of the Muslim faith then?

They didn't ban her, it was Lady Gaga's management who pulled the plug on it.

Personally I have no issue with a purposefully risqué performer being asked to tone things down in order to respect another countries culture. Thats kind of how the world works.

I'm not really sure how your violence rant ties in to this story either.

great_badir -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 12:15:27 PM)

This thread REALLY needs some Cokk...

borstal -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 1:27:12 PM)

This thread definately needs more JET

jcthefirst -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 1:31:44 PM)

JET IS SEX

borstal -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 1:36:36 PM)

SEX IS JET

Sinatra -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 2:01:07 PM)

I'm lost? [:-]

jonson -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 2:08:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

I'm lost? [:-]

Oh shit.

OK, so which twat left the front door open again?

Sinatra -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 2:14:59 PM)

Do I know you?[&o]

Spaldron -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 2:15:49 PM)

[image]https://images.nonexiste.net/popular/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Me-clearly-a-bit-old-for-Reddit-every-time-I-inadvertently-stumble-into-a-Pokemon-related-thread-.gif[/image]

Deviation -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 2:19:35 PM)

I thought it was funny since the Indonesian genre/exploitation films tend to make the infidel Lady Gaga or some Italian films look like a Disney show aimed at pre-teens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhwrfWrMdiE

Deviation -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 2:27:33 PM)

Yes, I just abused this thread to post about Virgins From Hell. I want to see Virgins from Hell.

Rhubarb -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 2:35:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Only because violence was threatened against her and her audience if she went ahead and performed the show - they claimed to have bought tickets ready to thug it up already.

Obviously this was all done by the religious people for publicity, which they actively achieved, its not really a reflection on La Gaga as such I imagine.

Deviation -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 3:08:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Obviously this was all done by the religious people for publicity, which they actively achieved, its not really a reflection on La Gaga as such I imagine.

It's also a small group that has become increasingly vocal and tedious, as for the exception of Aceh, I don't know of the Muslims there being mostly fanatical (it's closer to Christian countries where they claim they are Christian but mostly just in name). It is worrying though that that the National Ulema Council is backed by the government and that they have some laws "defending" the Islamic religion in the constitution, leading to cases like that atheist being detained for causing some offense in his local area when he posted "God doesn't exist" on facebook.

Keyser Sozzled -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 6:30:36 PM)

I'm glad that everyone is waiting until tomorrow before going batshit in this thread.

Hood_Man -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 7:03:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

I'm glad that everyone is waiting until tomorrow before going batshit in this thread.

I bet it gets locked at midnight.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 7:32:31 PM)

quote:

It's the Empire way.

Woger -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 7:47:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

It's the Empire way.

Empire will strike back.

UTB -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 8:05:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW4s7TETtJA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYYo3T6nCw8

Phubbs -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 8:36:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

Personally I have no issue with a purposefully risqué performer being asked to tone things down in order to respect another countries culture. Thats kind of how the world works.

OOOOK clearly you have not read what I typed and neither have you actually read the links. The Muslims in Indonesia threatened violence if the concert went ahead, this forced the concert organisers to abandon the gig despite the concert selling out in 2weeks, this shows the country is marginally run by a religious dictatorship which many of its citizens do not agree with.

Why should Gaga tone down her act, that's the whole point of it isn't it? if you don't want to see it then don't watch it right? so because you don't like it you threaten violence!? is that the way the Muslim religion works?
And to counter your point, its a music concert, its hardly effecting the cultural dignity of Indonesia is it and since when have any Muslims changed or toned down their cultural stand points to suit anyone else?

The whole point is the hypocrisy involved here, so called religious followers that claim others are infidels and devil worshippers for simply wanting to see a certain musician yet threaten violence if they don't get their way. It is also very annoying and sad to see how these people always get their way and its not just in Indonesia either, I feel for the locals who wanted to have some fun and see the show.

Woger -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 8:39:16 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

OOOOK clearly you have not read what I typed and neither have you actually read the links. The Muslims in Indonesia threatened violence if the concert went ahead, this forced the concert organisers to abandon the gig despite the concert selling out in 2weeks, this shows the country is marginally run by a religious dictatorship which many of its citizens do not agree with.

Why should Gaga tone down her act, that's the whole point of it isn't it? if you don't want to see it then don't watch it right? so because you don't like it you threaten violence!? is that the way the Muslim religion works?
And to counter your point, its a music concert, its hardly effecting the cultural dignity of Indonesia is it and since when have any Muslims changed or toned down their cultural stand points to suit anyone else?

The whole point is the hypocrisy involved here, so called religious followers that claim others are infidels and devil worshippers for simply wanting to see a certain musician yet threaten violence if they don't get their way. It is also very annoying and sad to see how these people always get their way and its not just in Indonesia either, I feel for the locals who wanted to have some fun and see the show.

But they were born this way, and they are difficult to deal with as they have a great poker face.

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 9:25:40 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

While Phubbs has gone on a borderline anti-islam rant he's got a point. Religious twats banning concerts can't really be excused and put down to 'respecting their culture' - it's Lady Gaga FFS!

I've always said that the problem with a lot of muslims is that they need to chill out with the religion and stock up on the beers! Invite some girls and have a fucking party. This goes for right wing Christians, Jews and Hindus as well - stop telling everyone how to behave because deep down you're just fucking jealous - throw off the shackles and bust some moves to 50 Cent In Da Club

Chief Wiggum -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 9:46:08 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

While Phubbs has gone on a borderline anti-islam rant he's got a point. Religious twats banning concerts can't really be excused and put down to 'respecting their culture' - it's Lady Gaga FFS!

I've always said that the problem with a lot of muslims is that they need to chill out with the religion and stock up on the beers! Invite some girls and have a fucking party. This goes for right wing Christians, Jews and Hindus as well - stop telling everyone how to behave because deep down you're just fucking jealous - throw off the shackles and bust some moves to 50 Cent In Da Club

I think the last thing that we want to do is to introduce a violent religious person to Stella...

having said that there was a tinfoil theory a few years back (featured on QI) that the Israel/Palestine malarky could be solved by importing Marmite there, something to do with yeast producing an enzyme linked to happiness and calm which they lack due to the prevalence of unleavened bread in the region. I don't know about the science, but I reckon if they were introduced to Marmite it would at least give them a common enemy

Fluke Skywalker -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 9:54:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

quote:

I think the last thing that we want to do is to introduce a violent religious person to Stella...

Yeah we'd go from wife beater to wife bomber!

having said that there was a tinfoil theory a few years back (featured on QI) that the Israel/Palestine malarky could be solved by importing Marmite there, something to do with yeast producing an enzyme linked to happiness and calm which they lack due to the prevalence of unleavened bread in the region. I don't know about the science, but I reckon if they were introduced to Marmite it would at least give them a common enemy

[:D]

paul_ie86 -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 11:08:31 PM)

quote:

throw off the shackles and bust some moves to 50 Cent In Da Club

You disgust me.

Rhubarb -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 11:10:49 PM)

[image]http://www.chronicle.su/wp-content/uploads/lady-gaga.jpg[/image]

paul_ie86 -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 11:25:39 PM)

[image]http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/63386997/Lady+Gaga+Judas.png[/image]

Shifty Bench -> RE: Religion You Say? (30/5/2012 11:40:34 PM)

[image]http://cdn.idolator.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/09/lady-gaga-the-simpsons-600x450.jpg[/image]

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI