RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

adambatman82 -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 1:55:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

Yep there are a few indies nearby and god bless them they are great to just look at, lovely old style cinemas. Yes they also tend to be cheaper, including the snacks! but the screens and sound are just awful!

Bollocks, the Pictureville in Bradford, which is three minutes walk from Cineworld is one of the best cinemas in the world! It's capable of playing pretty much any format, including Cinerama, of which there are only three screens left in the whole world, and it's staffed by a full team of professional projectionists. Have you ever actually been in there?

adambatman82 -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 1:58:24 PM)

quote:

VUE Kirkstall have food Nazis! I do go there with my friend now and then.

You must be really unlucky. Over the past 12 years or so I've been there hundreds of times and never once had food taken off of me.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 1:58:32 PM)

I really hate this sense of entitlement that people who watched pirated or illegally downloaded copies have, that they have a right to watch/ own something without having to pay what it costs. I despise people like this. If you can't afford it, you don't get it!! Simple as that. By paying what it costs we are allowing the movies we like to continue to thrive. No one can call themself a true lover of film if they go down the illegal download route all the time.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:01:20 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

And not wanting to pay cinema prices is fine. So why not wait until a film hits home video/gets discounted after a few months?

This is what I am curious about - the need to see things now. I can't afford an Nexus 7 this month. I want one, but it is too pricey. Should I just go in a take one? No, because that wouldn't be right. But for some reason when it comes to entertainment it is alright.

Django is not going to be on twenty screens in the country. It is a big release. And it is only a three week gap between UK/US.

Not having a go at anyone - I genuinely am curious to know why you would take it from the internet.

Its not always just about not wanting to pay cinema prices, some people genuinely cant afford it or rather justify it. For me its the later, like I said! pay around 50 for a cinema trip! or use that money on something else 'sensible' and wait for dvd release. Ive gone to the cinema without my kids and feel guilty as hell!. My sister has 5 kids she simply cant afford the cinema full stop. My point is , lower the cinema prices, it will help and more people will go to the cinema! simple.
One other underrated aspect regarding cinema going and cost is the price of snacks!! they are simply outrageous! beyond greed!. I don't mind paying my way , but 7 for a box of POPPED CORN!!!! 4.50 for a Coke!!. Its literally gone beyond a joke.

No one is forcing you buy food and drinks at the cinema. The cost of living is expensive these days, unfortunately one just has to get used to it.

DONOVAN KURTWOOD -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:03:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Those who illegally download movies off the internet or buy pirate copies on the street are no better than petty thiefs who who walk into a shop, grab an item for sale, stick it under their coat and pay without leaving.

Just my opinion thats all.If you want to watch a movie, pay for it.

For once we agree mate! [:D]

matty_b -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:05:51 PM)

quote:

You ever tried smuggling in popcorn, snacks , drinks for 4 people!. and actually our local multiplex is a a total twat about taking your own food.! I swear they would strip search you if they could.

You ever tried eating before you go to the cinema?

homersimpson_esq -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:06:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

A facebook freind posted this three weeks ago:

"Cloud Atlas was absolutely incredible. Probably my favourite film of the year. Bravo to the Wachowski siblings for yet again making another phenomenal piece of cinema that will no doubt end up a huge box office flop. So sad."

IRONY ALL OVER THE WALLS

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

You ever tried smuggling in popcorn, snacks , drinks for 4 people!. and actually our local multiplex is a a total twat about taking your own food.! I swear they would strip search you if they could.

Yep - same as most of the cinemas here in Bristol and Bath. If they see you taking something "FROM OUTSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!" in, they confiscate it. I've even heard of a few incidences of the two Vue cinemas in Bristol doing basic bag and coat searches during busy periods for big releases.

It's never happened to me. And I've been really unsubtle, with a bulging bag (steady) of stuff and never blinked. Mind you, I go to Cineworld mainly, and the place is a graveyard. And I've been going there for years so I doubt any of them would tackle me now. I'm sure they know fine well that I'm taking stuff in.

adambatman82 -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:10:00 PM)

quote:

Unfortunately In the UK its all a sign of the times, current Goverment! and a separate debate I guess. Maybe only the Elite will be able to enjoy the cinema ! This country is going backward the wrong way.

I think it's the opposite actually. The real sign of a broken society is the self-entitled attitude of the chancers who'd sooner download than shell out for a cinema ticket. We've already established that availability isn't an issue for you, as you have one of the widest selections of cinemas in the country on your door-step, and we've also established that the cinema is a comparatively cheap day out when placed next to the equivalent hobbies/leisure activity (football, theatre, two hours in a pub etc).

adambatman82 -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:12:05 PM)

quote:

quote:

Those who illegally download movies off the internet or buy pirate copies on the street are no better than petty thiefs who who walk into a shop, grab an item for sale, stick it under their coat and pay without leaving.

Remind me again how you watched QoS?

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2072233&mpage=14&key=

Boom.

Dannybohy -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:13:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

Yep there are a few indies nearby and god bless them they are great to just look at, lovely old style cinemas. Yes they also tend to be cheaper, including the snacks! but the screens and sound are just awful!

Bollocks, the Pictureville in Bradford, which is three minutes walk from Cineworld is one of the best cinemas in the world! It's capable of playing pretty much any format, including Cinerama, of which there are only three screens left in the whole world, and it's staffed by a full team of professional projectionists. Have you ever actually been in there?

I was talking about the indie ones I have nearby!. Pictureville not being one of them. Yes I have been but not for many years. My friend goes there, hes never mentioned it as being the best cinema in the world but I guess that's subjective.

Dannybohy -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:15:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

I really hate this sense of entitlement that people who watched pirated or illegally downloaded copies have, that they have a right to watch/ own something without having to pay what it costs. I despise people like this. If you can't afford it, you don't get it!! Simple as that. By paying what it costs we are allowing the movies we like to continue to thrive. No one can call themself a true lover of film if they go down the illegal download route all the time.

Your awesome too

elab49 -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:17:21 PM)

Before we get a 3rd attempt, how about we remind ourselves that being sarcastic towards the posters supporting the legal route is a pretty odd reversal, yes?

Edit. Ah. Too late

adambatman82 -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:19:22 PM)

quote:

I was talking about the indie ones I have nearby!. Pictureville not being one of them. Yes I have been but not for many years. My friend goes there, hes never mentioned it as being the best cinema in the world but I guess that's subjective.

It's as nearby as the Cineworld to you mate. It's over the road, three minute walk from the Cineworld car-park.

I'm not talking about it being one of the best from a subjective perspective either, I mean on a technical level. It's a well known cinema on the enthusiast circuit, with visitors from all over the world attending the annual Widescreen Weekend film festival that it hosts (We had people attend from as far as Japan, New Zealand and Bora Bora last year!). Not many people are lucky enough to have a cinema like that on their doorstep, you should give it a shot. They'll even let you take your own snacks in.

adambatman82 -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:26:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Before we get a 3rd attempt, how about we remind ourselves that being sarcastic towards the posters supporting the legal route is a pretty odd reversal, yes?

Edit. Ah. Too late

I'm actually quite surprised by how shy the pro-users have become over the years. It used to be that you'd get a couple of well-informed posters who could actually debate the whole "is it really stealing?" angle quite admirably in a situation like this, but now it's just Danny who is saying very little in between insulting the good guys and fabricating geographical inconsistencies about the two cities in which I grew up in! To paraphrase DB's beloved Chris Nolan, we "deserve a better class of criminal".

MonsterCat -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:30:14 PM)

quote:

Testify, brother!

Here's something else to consider: how are cinemas supposed to pay their employees when people are illegally streaming or downloading the latest releases?

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:34:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Boom.

Hold on a sec. Cool Breeze is Darth Silas?

Sir Roger Moore -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:35:11 PM)

I see that my top fan Cool Breeze is in fact a movie thief, which saddens me. Remember - a film is For Your Eyes Only if you pay for it!

RM

Dannybohy -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:35:57 PM)

quote:

quote:

Unfortunately In the UK its all a sign of the times, current Goverment! and a separate debate I guess. Maybe only the Elite will be able to enjoy the cinema ! This country is going backward the wrong way.

I think it's the opposite actually. The real sign of a broken society is the self-entitled attitude of the chancers who'd sooner download than shell out for a cinema ticket. We've already established that availability isn't an issue for you, as you have one of the widest selections of cinemas in the country on your door-step, and we've also established that the cinema is a comparatively cheap day out when placed next to the equivalent hobbies/leisure activity (football, theatre, two hours in a pub etc).

Really do not know what your point is, you are clearly not reading posts properly at a guess.
You have however in your own mind established my cinema availability and decided its not an issue for me, even thought you have no idea of my personal circumstances. And you have established that according to you the cinema is a comparatively cheap DAY OUT!! (What for the whole family mister??, thats a long fucking film too). You should work for Bradford tourist industry?. Sorry, you are assuming a lot. I would only assume you don't have a family or your so fabulously wealthy you have different view on things, good for you if that's the case.

Things I could do with my family for the price of a cinema trip; not that I see the point really but still
Full day out to local toutrist spot with lunch and maybe even tea out
Buy up to 10 decent DVD movies from Supermarket
Pay for months pass for the family at local leisure center! unlimited gym and swimming etc
I could by a blu-ray player and a movie

matty_b -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:36:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

quote:

Boom.

Oh, Gimli. Never change. [:D]

adambatman82 -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:37:03 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Boom.

This is like that bit in Episode 3 where it's finally revealed that Palpatine was the baddie all along.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:37:46 PM)

It's not my fault if people don't tell me these things! [:D]

Cool Breeze -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:38:29 PM)

quote:

This.

Rebel scum -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:38:29 PM)

quote:

[sm=happy07.gif]

Dannybohy -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:40:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

Edit. Ah. Too late

I'm actually quite surprised by how shy the pro-users have become over the years. It used to be that you'd get a couple of well-informed posters who could actually debate the whole "is it really stealing?" angle quite admirably in a situation like this, but now it's just Danny who is saying very little in between insulting the good guys and fabricating geographical inconsistencies about the two cities in which I grew up in! To paraphrase DB's beloved Chris Nolan, we "deserve a better class of criminal".

I see! it feels like your basically upset that I don't like Bradford, so your attacking me and skewing my contribution. Sorry I don't care. I will however check out the Pictureville again, thank you. Sorry Im not one of your awesome 'good guys' [sm=18.gif]

MonsterCat -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:41:42 PM)

quote:

Yep. And so is my wife.

Dannybohy -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:44:05 PM)

quote:

Edit. Ah. Too late

[:D] I have stated that piracy is stealing and wrong quite clearly, I was also honest that I have bought pirated content in my life and people have gone bat shit crazy as usual and clearly not reading posts. I imagine they are writing really long posts right now..

adambatman82 -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:48:32 PM)

quote:

Really do not know what your point is, you are clearly not reading posts properly at a guess.
You have however in your own mind established my cinema availability and decided its not an issue for me, even thought you have no idea of my personal circumstances.

I'm going by what you've given me. Not really sure why that's a problem. Who'd a thunk that facts could inspire such embarrassing aggression!

quote:

And you have established that according to you the cinema is a comparatively cheap DAY OUT!! (What for the whole family mister??, thats a long fucking film too). You should work for Bradford tourist industry?.

Calm down, and be reasonable.

quote:

Sorry, you are assuming a lot and kinds talking bollocks. I would only assume you don't have a family or your so fabulously wealthy you have different view on things, good for you if that's the case.

Not fabulously wealthy, and yes, I agree, you are assuming a lot and talking bollocks. I have a family. It's all about prioritising. If we want to go to the cinema as a social event then it comes at the cost of something else. We won't get a take-away that weekend for example, or go to the cafe that we like to spend our Saturday afternoons in. It's all about being a grown-up, decent member of society and prioritising. You can't have everything darling.

quote:

Things I could do with my family for the price of a cinema trip; not that I see the point really but still
Full day out to local toutrist spot with lunch and maybe even tea out
Buy up to 10 decent DVD movies from Supermarket
Pay for months pass for the family at local leisure center! unlimited gym and swimming etc
I could by a blu-ray player and a movie

And on the other hand, the cinema is relatively cheap next to other things a family might do on a weekend afternoon. Going to a football match for example. Or to the theatre. The cinema is significantly cheaper than both. We're my wife and I to spend an evening in a bar we'd spend more in two hours on drinks alone than we would do going to see a film.

garvielloken -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:48:34 PM)

quote:

quote:

This.

So you agree with DK even though it's been shown that you saw QoS through 'alternative means'. It must be hard despising yourself.

DancingClown -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:50:03 PM)

quote:

quote:

[image]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/410000/images/_414837_edmonds300.jpg[/image]

Dannybohy -> RE: is piracy REALLY killing the film industry? (16/1/2013 2:54:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

quote:

This.

So you agree with DK even though it's been shown that you saw QoS through 'alternative means'. It must be hard despising yourself.

How did you watch The Dark Knight Rises? come on!! how??

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI