Carey Mulligan (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Actors And Auteurs

vad3r -> Carey Mulligan (24/5/2012 3:53:24 AM)

I used to hate this actress, but she has won me over after watching her in Drive.

I refuse to watch An Education, next up will be Never Let Me Go and Shame. Her period drama accent really annoys me.

[image]http://img2.bdbphotos.com/images/orig/g/6/g6stye0aztdgzady.jpg[/image]

Firstlook -> RE: Carey Mulligan (24/5/2012 7:54:14 PM)

Never Let Me Go was pretty heavy. She did great in that film.

MonsterCat -> RE: Carey Mulligan (24/5/2012 9:25:19 PM)

She was the best thing about the otherwise mediocre An Education, and she was electric in Shame. Her character in Drive was sorely underwritten, but she managed to rise above it and do good work.

Seems like a level headed and nice young lady too.

directorscut -> RE: Carey Mulligan (24/5/2012 10:47:38 PM)

She's odd looking.

MonsterCat -> RE: Carey Mulligan (24/5/2012 11:05:23 PM)

She really isn't. [sm=rolleyes10.gif]

Rhubarb -> RE: Carey Mulligan (25/5/2012 12:54:19 AM)

I liked An Education.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Carey Mulligan (25/5/2012 10:08:57 AM)

She's alright in Drive (it's not really her show) but she's brilliant in Never Let Me Go.

I look forward to watching Shame.

MonsterCat -> RE: Carey Mulligan (25/5/2012 10:21:52 AM)

Is it just me or is Never Let Me Go really dull and inert?

Considering what the film is about I wasn't expecting it to be that cool and clinical.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Carey Mulligan (25/5/2012 10:25:48 AM)

It's just you [:D].

I thought it was great.

MonsterCat -> RE: Carey Mulligan (25/5/2012 10:26:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Oh, OK. : )

buffster28 -> RE: Carey Mulligan (28/5/2012 11:15:40 AM)

yeah i really like her too she was brilliant in An Education & Never Let Me Go. she was excellent in Shame too.

Rob -> RE: Carey Mulligan (28/5/2012 1:31:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

Oh, OK. : )

I'm with you MonsterCat. I thought it was well acted but emotionally unengaging.

MonsterCat -> RE: Carey Mulligan (5/6/2012 1:48:20 PM)

Is there an echo in here?

TragicRomantic -> RE: Carey Mulligan (9/7/2012 9:05:08 AM)

Amazing actress who is getting better and better.
And Never Let Me Go is amazing.It is a dissection of humanity and society at its most selfish and selfless.
Mulligan gives an amazingly affective performance.

siegfried -> RE: Carey Mulligan (30/9/2012 5:24:47 AM)

Her performance made watching An Education worthwhile. It wouldn't have been anywhere near the film it is without her.
She was also fine in Never Let Me Go, although I didn't like the film, and I agree that her role in Drive was somewhat underwritten. However, she did very well with what little she was given.
I'm of two minds whether to see The Great Gatsby when it comes out. From what I've seen of Carey Mulligan I think she would be ideal casting as Daisy. What puts me off, however, is the fact that the film is directed by Baz Luhrman, who has yet to make I film that I haven't despised.

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: Carey Mulligan (30/9/2012 5:55:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

I'm of two minds whether to see The Great Gatsby when it comes out. From what I've seen of Carey Mulligan I think she would be ideal casting as Daisy. What puts me off, however, is the fact that the film is directed by Baz Luhrman, who has yet to make I film that I haven't despised.

I'm exactly the same, but to be honest I'd watch a 6 hour documentary on Albanian sheep herders if it had Carey Mulligan in it, let alone a film by erggh Baz Luhrman.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Carey Mulligan (30/9/2012 11:37:18 AM)

quote:

Her performance made watching An Education worthwhile. It wouldn't have been anywhere near the film it is without her.
She was also fine in Never Let Me Go, although I didn't like the film, and I agree that her role in Drive was somewhat underwritten. However, she did very well with what little she was given.

Oh dear me and you seem to be disagreeing a lot lately[:D]  I loved Luhrmann's version of R&J not only was inventive with a exciting pop soundtrack, but he also got two very touching performances out of the leads.  Was a big fan of MR too.

Can't believe I have not commented on this thread yet.  Mulligan is a modern great, she rises above the system and picks the best and most interesting parts for her, she is a star but one who touches people on a human level.  Think she has also done well to get over the period drama label which she had for awhile as a result of a lot of TV work and has now revented herself.  Drive, Never Let Me Go and Shame were all wonderful.

siegfried -> RE: Carey Mulligan (1/10/2012 9:04:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

Oh dear me and you seem to be disagreeing a lot lately[:D]  I loved Luhrmann's version of R&J not only was inventive with a exciting pop soundtrack, but he also got two very touching performances out of the leads.  Was a big fan of MR too.

Can't believe I have not commented on this thread yet.  Mulligan is a modern great, she rises above the system and picks the best and most interesting parts for her, she is a star but one who touches people on a human level.  Think she has also done well to get over the period drama label which she had for awhile as a result of a lot of TV work and has now revented herself.  Drive, Never Let Me Go and Shame were all wonderful.

As I recall, we've always had the odd disagreement, but that's no big deal, I think we agree on more than we disagree about.
As for Luhrmann, though, I'm afraid you'll never convince me. Romeo and Juliet was a complete travesty - he took one of the most beautiful, tragic love stories of all time and vulgarised it into a garish, two hour punk rock video. My mother summed Moulin Rouge up very succinctly - when it was over she said in a very loud voice, "What a load of crap."
Judging by the laughter and a fair bit of applause from the audience, I would guess that quite a few others agreed with her.

MonsterCat -> RE: Carey Mulligan (1/10/2012 9:37:11 PM)

I'm just going to come right out and say it: her voice is sexy and it gives me the horn.

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: Carey Mulligan (2/10/2012 1:47:24 AM)

quote:

I'm just going to come right out and say it: her voice is sexy and it gives me the horn.

This. When she sang "New York New York" in Shame, I was close to speechless for about five minutes.

MonsterCat -> RE: Carey Mulligan (2/10/2012 1:51:44 AM)

I think Shame is the only film of hers that's any good.

I mean, she's nothing short of great in An Education, Never Let Me Go and Wall Street 2, but they're not very good films.

EDIT: Actually, Drive is pretty badass, so that's two really good Mulligan flicks.

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: Carey Mulligan (2/10/2012 2:10:26 AM)

quote:

I think Shame is the only film of hers that's any good.

I mean, she's nothing short of great in An Education, Never Let Me Go and Wall Street 2, but they're not very good films.

EDIT: Actually, Drive is pretty badass, so that's two really good Mulligan flicks.

I was about to say! [:-] But yeah, I'd agree with you but I liked Never Let Me Go, mainly because of Mulligan and Garfield. I also liked An Education when I first saw it, but a rewatch wasn't so kind. She's brilliant in it though.

ElephantBoy -> RE: Carey Mulligan (4/10/2012 11:44:52 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

quote:

As I recall, we've always had the odd disagreement, but that's no big deal, I think we agree on more than we disagree about.
As for Luhrmann, though, I'm afraid you'll never convince me. Romeo and Juliet was a complete travesty - he took one of the most beautiful, tragic love stories of all time and vulgarised it into a garish, two hour punk rock video. My mother summed Moulin Rouge up very succinctly - when it was over she said in a very loud voice, "What a load of crap."
Judging by the laughter and a fair bit of applause from the audience, I would guess that quite a few others agreed with her.

Ok and thats a bad thing how?  I am sure there are lots of well crafted and polished TV adaptions of Shakesphere you could enjoy, even enjoyable period films, but that has been done so many times and still is.  I like to see directors ripping up the handbook and expermenting with famous text.  Another thing you have to remember is that the MTV era was still very much in its prime back then so Luhrmann was simply commenting on that, and he gave you a great love story to boot.  Sorry a little off topic there![:)]

DancingClown -> RE: Carey Mulligan (5/10/2012 2:40:08 PM)

She's lovely.

AnneSofieLoveMovies -> RE: Carey Mulligan (5/10/2012 7:45:57 PM)

In my opinion An Education was pretty boring and predictable. For a long time i've been like "what's all the fuzz about ?" and "Why's Carey Mulligan so special ?" but today i watched Drive for the first time, and i must admit that she's a really great actress!

originalcynic -> RE: Carey Mulligan (6/10/2012 2:30:39 AM)

Drive is poor. An Education is great.

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: Carey Mulligan (6/10/2012 12:47:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: originalcynic

Drive is poor.

Any particular reason you didn't like it?

ElephantBoy -> RE: Carey Mulligan (6/10/2012 4:31:06 PM)

quote:

Drive is poor. An Education is great.

Think you have that one backwards.  She was excellent in An Education but the film was nothing special.

originalcynic -> RE: Carey Mulligan (7/10/2012 1:05:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Drive is poor.

I can't remember now, I've only seen it once, and once was enough. I just thought it was massively overrated.

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: Carey Mulligan (7/10/2012 7:31:14 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Drive is poor.

I can't remember now, I've only seen it once, and once was enough. I just thought it was massively overrated.

Oh. Well slightly more on-topic what did you think of Carey in it [;)]

Also, I checked my Top 100 of 2011 list yesterday and noticed I gave Never Let Me Go 5/5. I think I may need to re-watch it because my memory really isn't making it seem 5/5 material..

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI