Projectionist F**k Ups (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

S1lent B0b -> Projectionist F**k Ups (15/5/2012 10:00:34 PM)

Has anyone ever gone in to see a movie and there is some sort of fault examples: blurry picture, lack of sound, aspect ratio is off..

Two of these which I've seen are coming to mind right now.....

During "Pirates of the Carribean 3" the projector dropped or something, the picture was split in half leaving half the screen black.
When I saw "Fast Five" some of the trailers were silent and the two of the explosions in the film were silent [sm=happy07.gif]

Shifty Bench -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (15/5/2012 10:03:16 PM)

When I saw Cabin in the Woods a few weeks ago, the aspect ratio was off for the first 5 minutes or so.

True story.

horribleives -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (15/5/2012 10:07:08 PM)

When I went to see The Relic there was no sound for the first ten minutes.
I was all set to complain and demand my money back after it finsihed but by that point I'd lost the will to carry on breathing never mind hassle some poor sod on 3 quid an hour.

MonsterCat -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (15/5/2012 10:27:39 PM)

When I worked as a projectionist and I went to see a film on my time-off, the scope change was always missed.

Utter shoddiness. That would rarely happen on my watch.

sanchia -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (15/5/2012 10:31:26 PM)

I remember half way through Transformers the trailers started playing over top of the film. It was the best thing in the entire film.

MuckyMuckMan -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (15/5/2012 10:39:54 PM)

I went to Hyde Park Picture House for the Leeds International Film Festival a few years back to see A Bittersweet Life. The guy comes on the stage and gives a little talk about the film we're about to see, then the lights go down. The film starts but strangely its straight into a fight scene in the rain. I looked at my other half and said to her 'this can't be right, where are the opening titles etc?' Anyway a guy in front of me reassures me that I'm correct as he's already seen the film and tells me that the scene we're watching is halfway through the film. He gets up and walks out of the cinema to tell the Manager, and then a few moments later the stage guy comes back and says they've put the wrong reel in and that they'll put the first reel in within a few minutes. Anyway he comes back after 10 minutes and says that they haven't received the reel for the first half of the film.
I then went home and imported the asian special edition dvd and finally watched it about a week later. Worth the wait but it would have been awesome on the big screen.

Hood_Man -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (15/5/2012 10:46:21 PM)

I went to see a Bill Nighy film a year or so ago with my sis, and when the film started the sound was out of sync by a good 10 seconds.

Shifty Bench -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (15/5/2012 10:53:16 PM)

I like that you don't even bother with it's name, it's just- 'a Bill Nighy film'.

A year or so ago, it was either Chalet Girl (2011) or Wild Target (2010). I can understand why you have forgotten it [:D]

Spaldron -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 12:32:56 AM)

I honestly cant recall any major cinema fuck ups with the exception of Ghost in the Shell which suffered from the old split screen syndrome for about 5 minutes.

Hood_Man -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 12:38:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I like that you don't even bother with it's name, it's just- 'a Bill Nighy film'.

A year or so ago, it was either Chalet Girl (2011) or Wild Target (2010). I can understand why you have forgotten it [:D]

[:D]

Yeah I think it was Wild Target, and after Wikipediaing it it sounds like I really didn't miss much.

st3veebee -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 10:04:03 AM)

In Cabin in the Woods recently the ratio was off for the first 10 minutes and there was a good five minutes at the end were the picture died and all we had was sound.

Whistler -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 11:54:10 AM)

Saw The Raid last night. It was ace, but for the first few scenes the aspect ratio was messed up, which meant we couldn't see the damn subtitles! [:@]

What really grinds me is that they didn't rewind this when they sorted it out, but a few months ago when the pre-film adverts played without any pictures, they rewound them to the beginning and made us sit through them twice...

shatnerhamster -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 12:01:11 PM)

There are loads of examples from my local Cineworld. Most recently 'The Avengers', which looked the framing was a little off (tops of heads cut off), but not to the point were it was ruining the film or anything. It wasn't until Agent Coulson's final scene that I could tell for sure, as his face was only visible from the nose down. When I looked, I could see a small black bar at the bottom, so they were obviously projecting the picture slightly too high.

The worst ever was 'Alien vs. Predator', where they were showing half the picture and then the bottom half of the screen was just black. Went to tell a member of staff and they corrected it, but just carried the film on from where it was, so we'd basically missed the first ten minutes.

The weirdest was 'The Muppets', where the adverts and trailers were all green. Green skies, green faces, etc. Other colours were visible, but everything had a major green tint to it. Told a member of staff, they stopped the screening altogether for about five minutes, and when they started it up again the colours were back to normal.

st3veebee -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 12:26:16 PM)

That's one of the issues with Digital projection: you have to restart the film once an error occurs.

or so I heard.

great_badir -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 12:34:57 PM)

Sadly it happens all too often. More often than it ever used to in the pre 'plex days.

I've had it all - wrong aspect ratio (the most frequent one), missed reel change, no sound through the front/centre speakers (so dialogue pretty much impossible to hear) etc etc. Never got a refund once either, despite complaining.

Having said that, it's not happened for a few years. Not that I go to the cinema that much now, thanks to the fucking price...

Bloke from Oz -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 12:37:52 PM)

When I watched Iron Man the sound went out for a couple of minutes during the climax, causing some audience disapproval.

When I saw In Bruges, the projector conked out towards the end. It was lucky for the staff the audience was in a light-hearted mood, and let them fix the problem without complaints.

superdan -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 12:46:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shatnerhamster

There are loads of examples from my local Cineworld. Most recently 'The Avengers', which looked the framing was a little off (tops of heads cut off), but not to the point were it was ruining the film or anything. It wasn't until Agent Coulson's final scene that I could tell for sure, as his face was only visible from the nose down. When I looked, I could see a small black bar at the bottom, so they were obviously projecting the picture slightly too high.

The worst ever was 'Alien vs. Predator', where they were showing half the picture and then the bottom half of the screen was just black. Went to tell a member of staff and they corrected it, but just carried the film on from where it was, so we'd basically missed the first ten minutes.

These both sound like the film was out of rack, where it had been joined incorrectly (maybe overlapped, or the film cut through a frame). Doesn't happen with digital, but you can't really 'rewind' film in the way most people would think of it.

quote:

The weirdest was 'The Muppets', where the adverts and trailers were all green. Green skies, green faces, etc. Other colours were visible, but everything had a major green tint to it. Told a member of staff, they stopped the screening altogether for about five minutes, and when they started it up again the colours were back to normal.

Sounds like the projector had either been set in the wrong format i.e set for 3D in a 2D picture or vice versa, or that the wrong format files had been put in. Doesn't happen with film. Don't know why it would have taken 5 minutes to sort out though, it's easily solved (though if there were no projectionists at that cinema that would explain it).

Spaldron -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 2:24:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

What really grinds me is that they didn't rewind this when they sorted it out, but a few months ago when the pre-film adverts played without any pictures, they rewound them to the beginning and made us sit through them twice...

That's because the cinema chains give more of a shit to their advertisers than the public who only paid to see the film. They would probably get sued if they didn't show the ads.

Hobbitonlass -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 2:29:11 PM)

Not so much projectionist fuckups but I remember going to see T3 at the cinema and we must have sat through at least 10 mins watching the film through the curtain that hadn't drawn back [:D]

I was on my own and couldn't be arsed to gather up all my stuff (gone straight from work) to go out and tell someone. I did sit there wondering how long it would be before someone else got up.

Also, I was the only one in the cinema for Trollhunter and they forgot to turn off the lights so had to go out (left my stuff at the seat seeing as I was the only one in there) and tell someone to turn them off [:D]

MattTheBadger -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 3:45:22 PM)

When I went to see 'Matrix Revolutions' at the cinema they accidentally played us the first 5 minutes of 'Mystic River' instead. Eventually someone twigged and the right film was started.

Which is a shame because I never got round to seeing 'Mystic River' and 'Matrix Revolutions' was an utter load of gash.

doubtlesswonder -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 3:53:40 PM)

I've had a few instances where the film's been projected too high so you have the bottom half of the picture at the top of the screen and then a load of black at the bottom. Most if the time I've been the one to go out and mention it to someone. It's amazing how many people will just sit there and hope someone notices.

st3veebee -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 4:11:26 PM)

I have had about 3 bad projection issues in the last say 4-5 years. Fair play to Cineworld because each time they gave us free tickets.

Discodez -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 4:38:57 PM)

I forget what film it actually was now that I went to see, it's a few years back and may well have been Kill Bill part 1, but was definitely an 18. So we get through the adverts and trailers only for "Peter Pan" to start.

The entire audience stood up and started marching out muttering things like, "what the fuck" & "I thought the trailers were all for kids films".

Fair play to the cinema staff though, they got us all in to another screen and started the correct film pretty pronto.

Spaldron -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 4:42:53 PM)

This thread should be retitled Automated Projection F**k Ups as the word Projectionist implies that there actually are projectionists involved these days.

jcthefirst -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 4:57:45 PM)

Me and a few mates went to see Die Hard, and about halfway through the film went from McClane dropping the C4 down the lift shaft to picking glass out of his feet.

It was quite funny though to hear the whole cinema just go "Hey whoa, what?"

Spaldron -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 5:02:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcthefirst

Me and a few mates went to see Die Hard, and about halfway through the film went from McClane dropping the C4 down the lift shaft to picking glass out of his feet.

It was quite funny though to hear the whole cinema just go "Hey whoa, what?"

Reminds me of a story I read about a bunch of SW fanboys somewhere in Scotland nearly rioting when an advance screening of AOTC jumped from reel 2 to reel 8 and the manager refused to fix it or give refunds. [:D]

Swoz_MK -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (16/5/2012 6:58:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

When I worked as a projectionist and I went to see a film on my time-off, the scope change was always missed.

Utter shoddiness. That would rarely happen on my watch.

Same. Always. Without fail.

Going to rival cinemas and demanding money back for endless emulsion scratches during reel 4 was always fun.

Toby Monroe -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (17/5/2012 11:34:57 AM)

It fucked up when I went to see Gremlins 2.

Spaldron -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (17/5/2012 12:27:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Monroe

It fucked up when I went to see Gremlins 2.

[image]http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/i-see-what-you-did-there.png[/image]

Scruffybobby -> RE: Projectionist F**k Ups (19/5/2012 2:57:08 PM)

I went to see a film at the Cameo in Edinburgh with a mate.

This was the one we were going to see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0918561/

and this was the one that initially came on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0354934/

To be fair it was fixed in less than 5 minutes.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI