Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics

Spaldron -> Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (1/5/2012 1:12:12 AM)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47234373/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.T58kBKtYtqJ

quote:

Zeilinger said the technique could one day be used to communicate between superfast quantum computers, which rely on entanglement to store information. Such a machine has not yet been created, but experiments like this are a step toward that goal, the researchers say.

Darth Marenghi -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (1/5/2012 1:36:09 AM)

It's not that mind-blowing really, Spaldron. You see, people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

Chief -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (1/5/2012 9:44:01 AM)

This all sounds like some scientists making up some bullshit about some things that don't really exist; quantum physics = magic.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/5/2012 9:02:25 PM)

Could it be magic? No.

BigKovacs -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/5/2012 9:11:24 PM)

It's a kind of magic.

Woger -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/5/2012 9:13:40 PM)

Quantum physics supposedly played a massive part in electronics, it's the likes of string theory that falls into the "if you can't blind them with science, baffle them with bullshit territory" (not that I know much about physics).

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/5/2012 9:21:14 PM)

I just wanna know when we're gonna get holodecks and transporters.

BigKovacs -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/5/2012 9:26:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

Quantum physics supposedly played a massive part in electronics, it's the likes of string theory that falls into the "if you can't blind them with science, baffle them with bullshit territory" (not that I know much about physics).

Not really, String Theory is used to explain certain aspects of quantum physics.

BigKovacs -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/5/2012 9:28:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

I just wanna know when we're gonna get holodecks and transporters.

And anti-gravity bikes. I'm sure Tomorrow's World said around 2003.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/5/2012 9:32:19 PM)

3 years for hoverboards.

Woger -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/5/2012 9:32:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

quote:

Not really, String Theory is used to explain certain aspects of quantum physics.

Is there not some branch of physocs that's considered unprovable?

BigKovacs -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/5/2012 10:01:36 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Some theories can be considered unprovable if that's what you mean, however they may turn out to be provable in time as our grasp of physics and observational tools improve.

Woger -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/5/2012 10:20:38 PM)

I may have taken it the wrong way but I thought that string theory (or some branch) was unproevable in the sense that it can't be applied in everyday life whereas with quantum physics as much as it sounds like gibberish (to a lay man) it has real world applications like electronics.

Saltire -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (3/5/2012 3:26:22 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Some theories can be considered unprovable if that's what you mean, however they may turn out to be provable in time as our grasp of physics and observational tools improve.

Now mathematical theorems can be both provable and unprovable at the same time, muhahahaha!

Saltire -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (3/5/2012 3:29:12 AM)

quote:

I may have taken it the wrong way but I thought that string theory (or some branch) was unproevable in the sense that it can't be applied in everyday life whereas with quantum physics as much as it sounds like gibberish (to a lay man) it has real world applications like electronics.

I have books on string theory (though not started them yet guiltily! Still working on General Relativity and Quantum) but there will probably be something found that may turn to be useful in everyday life just like what happened with lasers and fractals when they were both discovered.

Professor Moriarty -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (3/5/2012 9:31:53 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

quote:

I have books on string theory (though not started them yet guiltily! Still working on General Relativity and Quantum) but there will probably be something found that may turn to be useful in everyday life just like what happened with lasers and fractals when they were both discovered.

Ditch them and replace them with ones on membrane theory, the math looks much better for that approach [;)]

Chief -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (3/5/2012 11:52:17 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

quote:

Ditch them and replace them with ones on membrane theory, the math looks much better for that approach [;)]

Ditch them and get proper books with stories & characters and stuff.

Saltire -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (3/5/2012 9:56:29 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

One of the books I have concentrates on M-Theory and branes, looking forward to starting it sometime this year! [;)]

Saltire -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (3/5/2012 9:59:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ditch them and get proper books with stories & characters and stuff.

They are more entertaining than some books I've read!! There's nothing like when you see how a weird result comes about and the consequences of that result, that then blows your mind - fantastic stuff! [:)]

Lucky Day -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (3/5/2012 10:11:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

One of the books I have concentrates on M-Theory and branes, looking forward to starting it sometime this year! [;)]

That's not a book...........

[image]http://lawschoolblogger.com/files/images/caled_russell_brand_my_booky_wook_cover_t270.jpg[/image]

THAT's a book.

gunstar -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (4/5/2012 10:18:32 AM)

Yes, yes, that's all well and good. But how do magnets work? Now that's the question!

Emyr Thy King -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (6/5/2012 9:43:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's not a book...........

[image]http://lawschoolblogger.com/files/images/caled_russell_brand_my_booky_wook_cover_t270.jpg[/image]

THAT's a book.

I think Ian Hislop demonstrated effusive praise for the book when he said "352 dismal masturbatory pagey-wages". Speaking of a quantum entanglement, how is your post count -131? (at time of posting).

Lucky Day -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (7/5/2012 11:09:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lucky Day

I think Ian Hislop demonstrated effusive praise for the book when he said "352 dismal masturbatory pagey-wages". Speaking of a quantum entanglement, how is your post count -131? (at time of posting).

[:D] It was the first bad book that popped into my head, I am sure there are many worse. I was feeling pretty cut up about the -131 thing, just kinda hoped that no one would notice (or at least not mention it) thanks for bringing it up [:D]

Woger -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/7/2012 3:51:41 PM)

Flying spaghetti monster particle may have been found, expect a lot of blank faces at the upcoming news coverage.

http://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-proof-god-particle-found-131226045.html

great_badir -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (2/7/2012 9:43:40 PM)

Well, as long as things are put right that once went wrong, I'm happy.

Saltire -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (3/7/2012 12:09:41 AM)

Been reading about this for the last few days and will await the official press release to see what they say - also looking forward to the journalists patronising versions on it as if they know what the hell they are talking about and giving us plebs their awe-inspiring take on it all! [;)][8D]

BigKovacs -> RE: Quantum Entanglement = Mind-Blown (3/7/2012 7:26:58 AM)

That and some daft bi-polar opinions on what might be discovered, 'God himself' or 'a waste of a billion dollars'.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI