MC's 25 Favourite Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

MonsterCat -> MC's 25 Favourite Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 1:34:30 PM)

I like horror. This thread will count down my 25 favourite horror films. Yay!

elab49 -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 1:36:48 PM)

You've already made me feel unwell with that title.

Do you want to make your offerings to the Mods for protection from Clownfoot now, or wait till nearer the time?

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 1:39:41 PM)

Look, I did truly love Evil Dead 2 until he bored me with his incessant bleatings about it. It's his own fault, really. [:D]

I jest. I like it well enough, but will it feature on here? Probz not.

elab49 -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:01:55 PM)

I may have been too subtle.

Where's the biccies?

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:05:55 PM)

[image]http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/audition-horror-takashi-miike.jpg[/image]

No. 25 - Audition (2001)

Directed by Takashi Miike

Boy loses wife. Boy searches for a new wife in a mock audition for a TV show. Boy falls in love with girl. Girl turns out to be a psychotic nutbar who is holding a man prisoner in a burlap sack. Girl slices off boy's feet with razor wire and sticks acupuncture needles in eyes.

Takashi Miike is world renowned for his tendency to push at the boundaries of what is allowable on screen, and the gruelling climax of his J-Horror flick is no exception. Audition is a profoundly disturbing film about a relationship gone horribly askew.

matty_b -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:16:29 PM)

Yep, pretty horrible and pretty brilliant.

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:21:02 PM)

[image]http://www.everythingaction.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ghostbusters-music-video.gif[/image]

No. 24 - Ghostbusters (1984)

Directed by Ivan Reitman

A genuinely funny and spooky horror comedy with moments of inspired lunacy. Bill Murray and Dan Aykroyd are working at the top of their game, but for me it's a deadpan Harold Ramis who steals the show. The man is effortlessly hilarious, and his "I don't think he's human" line never fails to make me chortle. Also: how can you not love a film that ends on something as gonzo as a gigantic marshmallow monster stomping through New York?

matty_b -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:21:43 PM)

Great fun and it scared me as a kid, so I can understand it being here. [:D]

MovieAddict247 -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:22:47 PM)

Ghostbusters is entertaining, though I'm not sure if I'd class it as horror. However, when I was six, the part with the Titanic in the second one really freaked me out.

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:24:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Great fun and it scared me as a kid, so I can understand it being here. [:D]

I re-watched it a couple of weeks back, and I was reminded how lewd it is for what is generally considered to be a PG rated family film.

Scared the hell out of me as a kid, too. [:D]

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:25:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

Ghostbusters is entertaining, though I'm not sure if I'd class it as horror. However, when I was six, the part with the Titanic in the second one really freaked me out.

The sequel gets a pretty rough ride, but I thought it was fine for what it was.

Could have done with less Bobby Brown on the soundtrack.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:25:35 PM)

I've honestly never thought of Ghostbusters as horror despite it having, y'know, ghosts and stuff in it [sm=08.gif]

I was pretty unflappable as a kid. I'm fairly certain I saw An American Werewolf in London before 'Busters and after that dream sequence GB would have had to turn the horror up to 11 for me to notice [:D].

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:40:37 PM)

[image]http://www.dramastyle.com/images/3/1/7741/Wolf-Creek_7741_19.jpg[/image]

No. 23 - Wolf Creek (2005)

Directed by Greg McClean

A genuinely nasty and uncomfortable film to watch, Wolf Creek gave the horror genre a much needed kick in the pants after a slew of mostly rubbish and kid friendly remakes of Asian horror films.

The air of tension and doom is almost too much to take, and John Jarrat is astounding as the Mick Taylor: a monstrous Australian outback man who gleefully hunts down three likeable kids from the city. Kudos must also be given to the late Will Gibson for managing to create some gorgeous images of the outback on a shoe string budget.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:49:59 PM)

Wolf Creek's great. I wonder if it affected the profits for any "Outback Experience" type holiday operators?

The head on the stick bit is pretty grim but for me the worst part is the calm before the storm, when they think he's trying to help them and we, the viewer, know that they're in for a bastard of a night. Like you say, the tension is unbearable.

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 2:56:09 PM)

[image]http://toirock.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/marie.jpg[/image]

No. 22 - Switchblade Romance (2003)

Directed by Alexander Aja

Decapitation by a chest of drawers. A psycho getting a blow-job from a disembodied head. Death by concrete saw. I think it is fair to say that Switchblade Romance is one of the most insane slasher flicks I have ever seen. And I absolutely love it for that.

And even if that twist ending doesn't make one bit of sense, Switchblade Romance is still one hell of a gleefully gory and blood-soaked ride.

MartinBlank76 -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 3:23:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

That took care of the horror side of things.

MartinBlank76 -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 3:26:21 PM)

quote:

Boy loses wife. Boy searches for a new wife in a mock audition for a TV show. Boy falls in love with girl. Girl turns out to be a psychotic nutbar who is holding a man prisoner in a burlap sack. Girl slices off boy's feet with razor wire and sticks acupuncture needles in eyes.

Takashi Miike is world renowned for his tendency to push at the boundaries of what is allowable on screen, and the gruelling climax of his J-Horror flick is no exception. Audition is a profoundly disturbing film about a relationship gone horribly askew.

Crosses legs. Only because I cant cross my eyes.

Still one of the most gruelling finales in cinema history. Though it doesnt help that I flinch watching people put their contact lenses in.

The guy in the sack moments are quite nightmareish as well.

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 3:30:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MartinBlank76

quote:

quote:

That took care of the horror side of things.

[:D]

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 4:05:53 PM)

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qeg1OcClj7U/Sga5nv92SrI/AAAAAAAABXs/QBNLJD4uw5U/s400/pod30.JPG[/image]

No. 21 - Prince of Darkness (1987)

Directed by John Carpenter

Arguably John Carpenter's last really good film (I know They Live is held in high regard around here, but I'm not a fan), Prince of Darkness contains the same kind of vice grip tension and nihilistic tone that made The Thing such a special experience.

Like most of Carpenter's best films, it came and went at the box office and the critics just didn't get it. But, unlike The Thing or They Live, it didn't garner the same kind of cult following and is probably the most over-looked entry in Carpenter's canon. Which is a shame because Prince of Darkness goes some way to solidifying Carpenter's standing as one of the finest horror directors of his generation.

Fun fact: audio snippets of the dream messages from the year 1999 appear at various points during DJ Shadow's debut album, Endtroducing...

rawlinson -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 4:08:30 PM)

Yeah, good choices so far. Just don't fuck it up with The Descent, please? [:D]

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 4:09:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

*hastily re-writes list*

Christ, you is a bitch.

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 6:32:37 PM)

[image]http://horrorhappyhour.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/event-horizon_10358880.png[/image]

20 - Event Horizon (1997)

Directed by Paul WS Anderson

I think its fair to say that Anderson will forever be the whipping boy of choice on film website message boards. And will it is true that Anderson's CV reads like a litany of cinematic foul-ups, it seems that the general consensus view is that Event Horizon is undoubtedly his best film.

Sure it's derivative and plays like a cross between Alien and The Shining, and yes it does display Anderson's typical disregard for good dialogue and character development. But the fact of the matter is that Event Horizon is lean, mean scare machine that hurtles along at a brisk pace, contains some shiver inducing moments and some truly impressive imagery (The camera cockscrewing away from the space station and the reveal of the gravity drive).

One of the film's great strengths is Anderson's smart move to refrain from pointless jump scares and to just concentrate on skilfully building up an overbearing sense of fear and horror. There is much right with Event Horizon that it's a shame that Anderson had seemingly jizzed whatever talent he had on the one film 15 years ago. But then again he's rich, moderately successful and married to Milla Jovovich, so I really can't feel too sorry for him.

MovieAddict247 -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 7:02:22 PM)

Nightmare on Elm Street - really enjoyed this the one time I've watched it. Freddy's hand coming up in the bathtub is one of the creepiest images from horror. Great choice.

elab49 -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 8:12:44 PM)

quote:

quote:

*hastily re-writes list*

Christ, you is a bitch.

But do remember added Dog Soldiers is always a good thing [:D]

rawlinson -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 8:16:47 PM)

Suggesting Neil Marshall deserves a place on a best horror list is like believing something the lib-cons tell you. It lessens us all.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 8:18:06 PM)

quote:

Suggesting Neil Marshall deserves a place on a best horror list is like believing something the lib-cons tell you. It lessens us all.

Like matty_b's mum does to your penis?

rawlinson -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 8:22:54 PM)

Now now, Matty_b's mum is handsome, we agreed to call her that in the treaty, so we're stuck with it.

matty_b -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 9:22:28 PM)

Stop blaming my mother for your inadequate tools, rawlinson.

rawlinson -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 9:27:17 PM)

I could have a dick so long I could use it to rope steer and it still wouldn't stop your mum being a fucking hill-dweller.

MonsterCat -> RE: MC's 25 Fave Horror Films: Based on the Novel Push by Sapphire (27/4/2012 11:38:17 PM)

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Mj9uQW_jyIQ/ThmiUEzpUhI/AAAAAAAAAvI/rsWB3QT1YJI/s1600/tumblr_l9918zkrY41qd1o58.jpg[/image]

No. 19 - A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Directed by Wes Craven

While it's true that time has not be kind to the special effects (lol at the mother being pulled through the window) and Charles Burnstein's synth score, the first nightmare is still smart, scary and boasts a terrifying performance from Robert Englund as Fred Krueger. It's arguably Wes Craven's best film and still retains the power to unsettle even after all this time. The remake, however, is an utter abomination.

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI