3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

Gimli The Dwarf -> 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (24/4/2012 1:37:59 PM)

Well, why not?

I intended to do a much shorter version of this last year, around the 1000 mark, but couldn't whittle it down. In staid of removing bits and pieces I kept adding stuff, quite annoying when trying to shorten a list. But I think is about right. Scenes, posters, actors, occasional whole films, characters, dialogue, scores, memorabilia, sound effects etc, anything and everything is here. So it's pretty much like Impqueen's thread (which needs to be updated!) but it likely won't be 1/10th as interesting. Everyone here could probably rattle of a quarter of what'll be included with ease.

It's not in any order. As much as I like a challenge that'd be far too difficult. Expect the first post tonight when the bell tolls one!

Rebel scum -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (24/4/2012 1:55:26 PM)

No 3000-1: Every scene from Lord of the Rings [:D]

This sounds an impressive undertaking, looking forward to it!

rawlinson -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (24/4/2012 2:45:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

[:D] Surely 3000 choices would only cover all the endings to Return of the King?

matty_b -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (24/4/2012 4:16:46 PM)

Gimli, this should be awesome, but I'm just going to remind you of the last two lists you started - the top 50 Pixar moments and the Titanic thread.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (24/4/2012 4:21:35 PM)

Who the hell starts a list and doesn't finish it? What kind of git would do that?

matty_b -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (24/4/2012 4:27:07 PM)

At least they're not the type of monster who asks people to use their precious, valuable time to send in lists for a poll...and then doesn't tell them the results.

elab49 -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (25/4/2012 1:13:08 AM)

The bell hath tolledeth. 

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (25/4/2012 7:37:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

In an ideal world, yes [:D]

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Gimli, this should be awesome, but I'm just going to remind you of the last two lists you started - the top 50 Pixar moments and the Titanic thread.

The Titanic thread will be updated when next I see a relevant film or show. I have a few shown recently to see, I'll get to them soon. And The Pixar thread hasn't been forgotten!

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

The bell hath tolledeth. 

Ah, Sorry about that! Hope you weren't online specifically waiting to see what I posted!

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (25/4/2012 7:53:01 AM)

1. Tom's scream
[image]http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/8966/tom.gif[/image]

Has the sound of extreme pain ever been quite so hilarious as when yelled by Tom? The ever-suffering cat had to deal with all sorts of indignities (tail in the waffle maker, ironing boards down the throat, a mouthful of bees, golf clubs to the head) and they all guaranteed an ear-shatteringly brilliant scream, provided by William Hanna himself. As luck would have it, youtube has a nice little compilation of this impressive effect. The scream in the third clip, with the mousetrap, currently serves as my message tone for my mobile. It gets some odd looks when it sounds in public [:D]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV1Tc2fdkGc

Rebel scum -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (25/4/2012 8:41:29 AM)

Great start, I remember knowing the film was going to suck when they changed the scream.

matty_b -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (25/4/2012 8:44:02 AM)

Yeah, great choice to start with. [:D]

elab49 -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (25/4/2012 9:46:37 AM)

I saw the pic and knew exactly what you meant - short, very high pitched at one point. I have now put on the cartoons to get me through the morning [:)]

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (25/4/2012 10:18:33 AM)

Keeping with T&J...

2. The Tom and Jerry Theme Tune
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5f/TomandJerryTitleCardc.jpg/250px-TomandJerryTitleCardc.jpg[/image]
Instantly recognisable, a 25 second burst of music that you just know is going to take into 7 minutes of brilliance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cu0KOzunpI

and it's a piece of music that take me to number three on the list...

3. Scott Bradley
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f5/PDVD_001.jpg/220px-PDVD_001.jpg[/image]
An absolute genius composer. Famous for his work in the Tom and Jerry series but equally impressive with his scores for Droopy and Barney Bear. His style of having the music reflect the on-screen actions was perfect for the mayhem-filled 'toons he wrote for. An essential part of the creative team and it's impossible to think of any classic T&& cartoon without his music

For a listen of a T&j cartoon with no sound effects and just music, try this link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVNpYSLbBmU

Rebel scum -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (25/4/2012 10:19:49 AM)

Scott Bradley [sm=happy34.gif] Criminally underrated composer.

Also, that Tom and Jerry cartoon you linked is one of a select film episodes I actually like Jerry in.

elab49 -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (25/4/2012 10:24:51 AM)

I've never listened to one of the scores by itself before - that was rather good. [:)]

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (25/4/2012 10:54:33 AM)

Glad you liked it. There's a CD out that contain almost 3 hours worth of his music, I think 24 complete scores. It's certainly one for my wishlist.

And the last T&J entry for now.

4. "In me power"
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c8/Thebodyguardtitle.JPG/220px-Thebodyguardtitle.JPG[/image]
The Bodyguard is one of the finest Tom and Jerry offerings. For those who don't know, it's the one in which Jerry saves Spike from being taken to the pound, and in return Spike will come to his aid whenever Jerry whistles for help. It's superb in every way. But this particular scene is a favourite. I usually don't like it when Tom speaks but combined with the evil grin and supremely menacing laugh, it just works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFkkjYU3Qoo

Rebel scum -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (25/4/2012 11:17:37 AM)

Surely if you're going to have an example of Tom speaking, it's got to be "Don't you believe it." I love The Bodyguard though.

rawlinson -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 1:32:31 AM)

Out of curiosity, how many of the 3000 will be from Tom & Jerry? [:D]

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 5:41:44 AM)

No idea. But there will be more. [:D]

rawlinson -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 5:45:22 AM)

Have you worked out the 3000 or are you just thinking of them as you go along?

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 5:49:05 AM)

I have them (almost) all down on a spreadsheet. I'm not following that order though as I tended to write them down in groups. I've left some leeway as I have no idea how long it'll take me to finish this and there'll no doubt be new stuff I want to add along the way.

rawlinson -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 5:50:48 AM)

I was going to say, that's why my bigger lists tend to splutter out, because I'm so rigid and then find myself seeing new stuff, rewatching old stuff, or just remembering stuff, that I want to include.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 5:55:18 AM)

Another reason why it's not in an order. I know for a fact there's some stuff I forget. I wake up one day and say "Aha, must include that bit from Van Helsing" and this was I have the chance to do just that [:D]

rawlinson -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 5:56:20 AM)

[:D]

If you finish this, you've set the bar impossibly high, you know that?

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 5:58:53 AM)

In scale perhaps, not quality!

rawlinson -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 6:01:51 AM)

You're doing good so far. I'm just dreading "RUN, FORREST, RUN!"

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 6:33:30 AM)

That won't be the only entry you should dread!

matty_b -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 8:37:36 AM)

Funny, that's what I said to rawlinson's mum last night.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 9:07:19 AM)

5. "We'll start with a reign of terror.
A few murders here and there. The murders of great men, the murders of little men, just to show we make no distinction. We might even wreck a train or two, just these fingers around a signalman's throat. That's all"

[image]http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/2552/invisble.gif[/image]

Claude Rains possessed one of the greatest voices in cinema history and it was rarely put to better use than in The Invisible Man, He was a fantastic choice for the role. You see his face for barely half a minute, yet he towers over everyone in this film. His wonderfully distinctive, charismatic voice is compelling, and you are never less than 100 percent sure of his intentions. Along with his actions and body language, he creates a brilliantly charismatic, yet undeniably maniacal, lead character, and gave cinema one of its finest performances. This scene is masterful and one of many that shows just how great Rains was. Calmly rocking back and forth in his, outlining grand plans before miming the murderous act, it's beautiful.

matty_b -> RE: 3000 Really Rather Good Things About Cinema. (26/4/2012 9:14:11 AM)

That is a brilliant scene.

Rains voice ranks alongside Cary Grant's, James Mason's and Peter O'Toole's as one of the greatest ever.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI