Homer's 300: No. 174 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s

homersimpson_esq -> Homer's 300: No. 174 (23/4/2012 1:36:40 PM)

It's been four years since I last compiled a top films list. I'm not one of these sorts who can churn out a new top list every year (I'm looking at you, TRM and Rhubarb). However, I feel I've watched enough new films to make the list discernibly different now.

Don't think the top ten is untouchable, either. I'm going to keep you all guessing.

I'm doing away with time-consuming snazzy graphics cos, well, they're time-consuming. Instead, I'm going for to-the-point short reviews, although some films may inspire greater comment from me if a) I feel like it, and b) they're an unexpected enough choice to warrant comment.

I won't get this started today as GOOD GOD IT'S BEEN TOO LONG I'm going to the cinema... I just wanted to get the thread open to inspire me actually DO THIS THING.

Place your bets now as to where such classics as Uncle Boonmee, Beowulf, Ninja Assassin, and Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close will feature.

And, honest to God, I'm going to finish this list...

rawlinson -> RE: Coming Soon - Homer's ALL NEW Top 250 Films. (23/4/2012 1:37:44 PM)

Uncle Boonmee > Most of your list. [:D]

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Coming Soon - Homer's ALL NEW Top 250 Films. (23/4/2012 1:38:47 PM)

[>:]

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Coming Soon - Homer's ALL NEW Top 250 Films. (23/4/2012 3:39:57 PM)

Looking forward to it.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Coming Soon - Homer's ALL NEW Top 250 Films. (23/4/2012 4:04:30 PM)

Here's a random collection of films I think are in with a chance:
Matchstick Men
Sin City
The Cooler
Dead Man's Shoes
The Bourne Ultimatum
Serenity
Into The Wild
Brick
Lust, Caution
United 93
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The Prestige
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Zodiac
The Fountain
Batman Begins
Ratatouille
The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford
Grindhouse
Pan's Labyrinth
Atonement
No Country for Old Men
Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut)
4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days
There Will Be Blood

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Coming Soon - Homer's ALL NEW Top 250 Films. (24/4/2012 6:41:36 AM)

Looking forward to this. I hope LOTR still makes the top 20 but I fear it won't.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Coming Soon - Homer's ALL NEW Top 250 Films. (24/4/2012 9:22:06 AM)

Paul, goodness, where did you get such a list!

Gimli, I couldn't possibly comment...

paul_ie86 -> RE: Coming Soon - Homer's ALL NEW Top 250 Films. (24/4/2012 11:32:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Paul, goodness, where did you get such a list!

Just off the top of my head, really.

On an unrelated note, will you be doing a modern classics list this time around.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Coming Soon - Homer's ALL NEW Top 250 Films. (24/4/2012 12:49:11 PM)

Not decided yet...

TENSION.

homersimpson_esq -> Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 9:48:46 PM)

Did I say 250? I totally meant 300...

Those who remember the last list will remember that the opening salvo was a good indication of the variety to come. This one starts, as it happens, in a similar manner.

300. Condorman.
[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-P9enhXUE0B4/TtMIhXHsW2I/AAAAAAAAaqU/fm7qwKSluJU/s640/Condorman+1.jpg[/image]
This is the poster! Michael Crawford looking vaguely uncertain! Genius.

CHEESE TASTIC. This is not a good film. It is however a film with loads of heart, loads of bad acting, loads of really, really silly ideas, loads of cool cars, loads of daft costumes, and loads and loads of cheese. I adore it, and in a just world, this film would be better known.

299. The Sting
[image]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9c/Stingredfordnewman.jpg[/image]

A classic confidence trickster film, with a classic soundtrack and a classic cast. The film oozes style and wit. The segmented structure works well, and the payoff is fantastic.

If you've not seen either of these films, then you really should, albeit for somewhat different reasons. Condorman is as 80s as it gets, The Sting is something else entirely. And there are 298 better films to come...

rawlinson -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 9:52:27 PM)

The Sting is great, not as good as Butch and Sundance, but great fun anyway.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 9:59:46 PM)

I might agree with you, rawls.

OMG STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT, GAIS.

elab49 -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 10:09:29 PM)

quote:

Those who remember the last list will remember that the opening salvo was a good indication of the variety to come. This one starts, as it happens, in a similar manner.

300. Condorman.

You realise Gimli will probably propose outright? (Unless you first get the complaint about it being too low [:D]).

At this moment - night, 24th April 2012, I currently prefer The Sting to Butch and Sundance. This might change by the time you get to (possibly) B&S.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 10:16:09 PM)

One thing that I've found compiling this new bigger list is that having a bigger canvas to play with means you can be more generous with films. Consequently, there's a fair amount of spreading (ladies) going on that has the original 100 mixed up, and a lot wider spaced. For example:

298. Thelma & Louise

[image]http://www.mediaknowall.com/images/Thelma__Louise.jpg[/image]

Some of these reviews will be longer than others, depending on a) the film, and b) my mood at the time of writing. Thelma & Louise is a film I've loved for a long time. Ever since my brother (DAMN YOU) spoiled the ending for me. That unforgivable act notwithstanding, the film is excellent, and one of Sir Ridley's best. Taking the realisation that most women are underwritten in film, Thelma & Louise turns it on its head, by giving the titular characters rounded personalities, while simultaneously having all the male roles fulfil clichés and stereotypes.

The female-empowerment story - that never feels cloying or obvious - aside, the film looks absolutely gorgeous. Scott pulls the deep azure skies and contrasts them with the dusty orange rocky protuberances, and then sticks amazingly good-looking actors in front of them. Geena Davis is radiant: Brad Pitt unspoiled in an early bit-part. I would. (Well, it would be churlish of me not to comment on how good-looking the leads are in a film that seeks to comment on how women are only there as eye candy in the great majority of films...)

297. The Secret of Kells

[image]http://sernett.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/brendan-and-the-secret-of-kells-cartoon-saloon-2009.jpg[/image]

While I'm subconsciously not including the most recent of releases (don't expect the likes of Drive or Black Swan) I'm forgoing the five year rule I placed upon myself the last time around. Which is how this fantastic little animation gets into the list. With a beautiful animated style - think Samurai Jack if he was a monk - it could have come from the titular book, such care and attention to detail has gone into it. At times dark, it works both as an adult tale, but also for children as well - both I and my children enjoyed it, although I add now that their enjoyment is not influential on a film's inclusion in this list.

I know the Irish contingency on the boards will approve of this selection.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 10:17:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

300. Condorman.

You realise Gimli will probably propose outright? (Unless you first get the complaint about it being too low [:D]).

Also, he may want to hold fire...

elab49 -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 10:22:30 PM)

I like Thelma and Louise, don't care what anyone else says. Even if every viewing does, unfortunately, remind me that the first time I saw it it was in a vibrating seat as the entire row was moving in time with the couple making out at the end of it.

That is a gorgeous pic choice for Kells - and a nice change from the normal green choices.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 10:27:17 PM)

I have a few "I don't care what anyone says" moments coming up in this list. 

impqueen -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 10:36:30 PM)

I’ve never seen Condorman, I love The Sting, not a fan of T&L but really like Kells. [:)]

rawlinson -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 10:39:00 PM)

Kells is great. Thelma is not.

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 10:39:39 PM)

296. The Straight Story

[image]http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/images/issue/420/the-straight-story_420.jpg[/image]

Atypical Lynch, but no less brilliant. The tale of an old man who travels across country to visit his equally elderly brother. On a lawnmower. It sounds quite dull, but is actually spectacularly warming and endearing. The people he meets, the things he does; the ethos he brings to life. This is life at a relaxed pace. It's about enjoying what you have, when you have it; of not holding grudges, nor storing up spite. It holds many traits in common with another film to come in this list.

Richard Farnsworth, erstwhile stuntman as far back as Gone with the Wind, only became an actor late in life, but made a small but notable impact on the film world. This, arguably his swansong, is a titularly literal straight story, and winning because of it.

295. Escape to Witch Mountain

[image]http://www.dvdizzy.com/images/escape1.jpg[/image]

Ah, Disney. While everyone goes crazy over Disney animation, some fine live action films were made at the house of Mouse. They don't seem to be held in the same regard, but a childhood diet of these films means that they are secure in my heart. This is a charming tale of two alien children who must find their way back to their ship, and thus home. It's E.T., but with mid-Western American children instead of a small, dumpy, grey thing. Children who have powers, but use them for good! Wholesome entertainment for all the family! The sequel benefits from Christopher Lee but not a lot else. The original has Donald Pleasance, anyway! I've not gotten round to watching the Dwayne Johnson vehicle remake/reboot/reimagining for fear of losing the charm of this original classic.

impqueen -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 10:44:06 PM)

The Straight Story is superb and Witch Mountain I vaguely recall, the remake is pants even with Ciaran Hinds.

rawlinson -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 10:45:30 PM)

The Straight Story is just a gorgeous piece of cinema, lovely soundtrack too. I saw Witch Mountain a lot as a kid. Not the Disney film that terrified me though. [:D]

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 10:58:40 PM)

I do love when there is a lovely contrast between neighbouring films in a list. From heartwarming Disney to this:

294. White Ribbon

[image]http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Film/Pix/pictures/2009/11/12/1258041152371/Scene-from-The-White-Ribb-001.jpg[/image]

Michael Haneke is a director I still need to explore fully. This study of proto-Nazi children is chilling in its indictment of human nature against nurture and is as far removed from the films either side in this list as you can imagine. The mystery is cold, the film unforgiving. It's a relentless, grim film, yet with an icy beauty that is hard to pin down. Challenging.

293. The Incredible Journey

[image]http://i2.listal.com/image/2914803/500full.jpg[/image]

Fuck talking animals. "Homeward Bound" can go screw. Anthropomorphism is unnecessary when you have leading animals like the two dogs and the cat of this original "pets trekking across country to find their way home" story. So little dialogue, because dialogue is largely unnecessary. This harks back to a time when wisecracking animals were not even a consideration, but instead the animals actions speak for themselves. Animals are animals, not cyphers for people. And anyone who doesn't have a sniffle or two by the end of this film actually, literally, has no soul.

MonsterCat -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 11:01:22 PM)

IMHO The Straight Story is the 5th best Lynch flick. Good movie.

Rebel scum -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 11:04:46 PM)

This list is really exposing some gaps in my viewing-I've not seen any of these [:(].

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 11:06:07 PM)

It's how we all feel looking at rawlinson's list.

And "exposing some gaps" is how we all feel looking at rawlinson's mum.

rawlinson -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 11:08:18 PM)

quote:

And "exposing some gaps" is how we all feel looking at rawlinson's mum.

[:D]

Another of my favourite Disney films there, as well as one of the few films I like from Haneke.

impqueen -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 11:16:23 PM)

White Ribbon was my film of 2009 so yeah it’s good. The Incredible Journey is lovely.

elab49 -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 11:18:01 PM)

My husband is the only person I know who loves those ugly looking dogs. Sooo much better than that dreadful remake. 

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Homer's ALL NEW Top 300 Films (24/4/2012 11:21:01 PM)

292. The Ice Storm

[image]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_3H1dWtzmZYU/Sw1S8sbXyVI/AAAAAAAAB3M/GepHaKCF_MQ/s1600/Film_426w_IceStorm.jpg[/image]

Before Spider-Man apparently ruined him, Tobey Maguire had some good acting chops on him. Here, he's up against Sigourney Weaver, Elijah Wood, Christina Ricci, Joan Allen (I still would), Katie Holmes and Kevin Kline. It's a fine study of social strata breaking down under pressure, lifting up the skirt of the American dream and finding a festering wound underneath. I think that metaphor is mixed quite enough, there. See it for some second-tier actors at the top of their game: Katie Holmes is actually good, and a pre-LOTR Wood shows promise that, post-LOTR he seems to have failed to fully deliver.

291. Jean De Florette

[image]http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01245/claude_berri1_1245574c.jpg[/image]

Arguably my introduction to French cinema, this was The Film We Watched In French Lessons. I loved it, despite its unwearied downbeat tone. The theme tune is achingly sad, yearning for a time that never will be. Gerard Depardieu is superb as the hunchback with a dream that is always one step further than he can manage. Watch out for the sequel: it has nudey bits, and it's only a PG. 11 yr old me liked it a lot.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI