RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Spaldron -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (25/3/2012 2:21:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Also not sure why "PIrates!" is called "In An Adventure With Scientists" in Britain and "Band Of Misfits" in America. What's the point? Just give it one name for god's sake, makes life so much easier.

I heard they were afraid Christians would stay away if Scientists was in the title. That may be complete bullshit though.

I bet its true, the word scientist is worse that paedophile in some states, and not forgetting the film features Charles Darwin as a character who is basically Satan as far as half of America is concerned.

grucl -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (28/3/2012 10:56:52 AM)

"License to kill" was first called "License revoked". They changed it due to the fact that people in the US might have thought it was about someone getting his driver's license taken away.

fuzzy -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (29/3/2012 1:58:50 AM)

Fast Five in the States, Fast and the Furious 5 over here and Fast and the Furious 5: Rio Heist in some other countries i think. But when it got to Sky Movies recently it had the US title back. Weird. The US title was due to possible confusion with the Furious Five in the Kung Fu Panda films. Yup, cos 6 year olds are the target audience for these kind of films [8|]

And Battle: Los Angeles was World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles in Europe so not to leave the rest of the world out I guess. Don't they know that aliens are only interested in America though?

grucl -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (29/3/2012 9:06:03 AM)

The Jet Li movie "Cradle 2 the grave" was renamed "Born 2 die" for the German market.

Also: "District 13" was called "Ghettogangz" over here (yes, with a "z")... [:@]

doubtlesswonder -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (29/3/2012 4:49:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: fuzzy

And Battle: Los Angeles was World Invasion: Battle Los Angeles in Europe so not to leave the rest of the world out I guess. Don't they know that aliens are only interested in America though?

I figured that was just to let us know that the alien invasion was all over the world, which seems like a good idea considering I heard A LOT of people complaining that it was just America again. Apparently the mentions of cities in England/Japan etc in the actual film weren't big enough hints.

Wyvenetta -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (3/4/2012 10:19:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1lent B0b

*sigh* "Marvel Avengers Assemble" Dear god.
They might as well have called it "Marvel's Avengers Group Together in a Secluded Area to do Various Tasks"
Anyone got any more terrible overseas movie title changes?

Our local cinema in England has the banners up and they all just say 'Avengers'. Wonder if it was a very last minute change?

Zaphod121 -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (5/4/2012 3:38:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wyvenetta

quote:

ORIGINAL: S1lent B0b

*sigh* "Marvel Avengers Assemble" Dear god.
They might as well have called it "Marvel's Avengers Group Together in a Secluded Area to do Various Tasks"
Anyone got any more terrible overseas movie title changes?

Our local cinema in England has the banners up and they all just say 'Avengers'. Wonder if it was a very last minute change?

I think so yes as the first trailer had 'The Avengers' title in the UK but then the second trailer had 'Avengers Assemble', very silly really.

Sotto Voce -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (7/4/2012 4:26:35 PM)

I've put these in another thread, but Japan has come up with a few world-beaters.
Army of Darkness became Captain Supermarket
Children of Men became Future World
War of the Worlds became Space War
Thor became Mighty Thor, otherwise it would be indistinguishable from Saw.
If there was a movie called The Heart Rocker (not too unlikely), they would have to change the title, or it would be the same as The Hurt Locker.

S1lent B0b -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (14/4/2012 2:58:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

I've put these in another thread, but Japan has come up with a few world-beaters.
Army of Darkness became Captain Supermarket
Children of Men became Future World
War of the Worlds became Space War
Thor became Mighty Thor, otherwise it would be indistinguishable from Saw.
If there was a movie called The Heart Rocker (not too unlikely), they would have to change the title, or it would be the same as The Hurt Locker.

I can remember seeing that somewhere... I have to say that is undoubtedly the most ridiculous title change ever.

rich -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (15/4/2012 12:53:49 AM)

The Japanese poster for Army of Darkness is amazing

Shifty Bench -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (15/4/2012 1:09:35 AM)

You mean the one with Bruce Campbell's name on soup cans? It's pretty genius [:D]

MovieAddict247 -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (15/4/2012 8:02:09 AM)

The Wettest County in the World was changed to The Promised Land then was changed back and shortened to The Wettest County.

The Wettest County titles I'm not a fan of, but they do at least stay the same as the book. However, The Weinstein Company have now changed it it Lawless. What the hell is that!? That's an awful title for any film. Furthermore, one of Malick's next films is going to be called Lawless, adding to the stupidity of the change.

Deviation -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (15/4/2012 2:40:12 PM)

Whoever translated Ballada Triste de Trompeta (literally, A Sad Trumpet Ballad) into something as dull as The Last Circus should get fired. Or worse, Gohatto into Taboo.

jobloffski -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (16/4/2012 11:19:35 AM)

Has Avengers actually been changed to Avengers Assemble or is it really just a ploy to familiarise average Joe with the phrase Avengers Assemble so that when it is said in the film it wont seem totally cheesy, but a significant moment? With the film still called Avengers in the titles?

thatlittlemonkey -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (16/4/2012 11:37:25 AM)

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, or Sorcerer's Stone in America, because they were worried no-one would know what a Philosopher was...

Oh and Madness of King George, or to give it's full title Madness of King George the Third, was changed for the American market, so no-one thought it was a sequel...

[&:][:D]

fuzzy -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (16/4/2012 1:36:57 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

Has Avengers actually been changed to Avengers Assemble or is it really just a ploy to familiarise average Joe with the phrase Avengers Assemble so that when it is said in the film it wont seem totally cheesy, but a significant moment? With the film still called Avengers in the titles?

It just looks weird when used as a title, it needs an extra word somewhere or at least an exclamation mark. But hey, no one but the media is using this title anyway.

samdavies0113 -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (24/4/2012 5:06:20 PM)

I didnt think anyone could be confused with 'The Avengers' until chaos was caused at work by someone shouting 'why would you want to go see an avengers film.......iron man? he wasnt in the tv show?'

they still havnt been forgiven for this!!!!!!

theMoviegoer -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (24/4/2012 5:25:46 PM)

Here in Switzerland Niccol's latest, "In Time", was called "Time Out". What the..?! It looses all meaning!

Vitamin F -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (24/4/2012 6:31:20 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: theMoviegoer

Here in Switzerland Niccol's latest, "In Time", was called "Time Out". What the..?! It looses all meaning!

Should have been "Time Wasted"

theMoviegoer -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (24/4/2012 8:24:36 PM)

LOL [:D] I like that movie... It's not as profound as "Gatacca", but it's still damn good sci-fi!

doubtlesswonder -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (24/4/2012 10:38:34 PM)

I liked it too [:)]

Willie Mayes Hayes -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (27/4/2012 12:40:30 PM)

Avengers Assemble follows that 'people doing things' naming idea. Batman Begins, Superman Returns. I expect to see Hulk Smash, Thor Goes Home (and Away), and Iron Man Parties With Pretty Ladies

jcthefirst -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (27/4/2012 12:43:31 PM)

I know we've complained about it before, but seeing Marvel Avengers Assemble on screen just looked silly.

MartinBlank76 -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (27/4/2012 1:03:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

The Wettest County in the World was changed to The Promised Land then was changed back and shortened to The Wettest County.

The Wettest County titles I'm not a fan of, but they do at least stay the same as the book. However, The Weinstein Company have now changed it it Lawless. What the hell is that!? That's an awful title for any film. Furthermore, one of Malick's next films is going to be called Lawless, adding to the stupidity of the change.

Ugh. Yeah, makes it sound like a Jason Statham film. I was happy enough with The Wettest County or its longer title.

darthbane -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (27/4/2012 4:39:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Willie Mayes Hayes

Avengers Assemble follows that 'people doing things' naming idea. Batman Begins, Superman Returns. I expect to see Hulk Smash, Thor Goes Home (and Away), and Iron Man Parties With Pretty Ladies

Very good [:D][:D]

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (27/4/2012 10:52:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: thatlittlemonkey

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, or Sorcerer's Stone in America, because they were worried no-one would know what a Philosopher was...

Oh and Madness of King George, or to give it's full title Madness of King George the Third, was changed for the American market, so no-one thought it was a sequel...

[&:][:D]

[:D]

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (27/4/2012 10:56:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

Also not sure why "PIrates!" is called "In An Adventure With Scientists" in Britain and "Band Of Misfits" in America. What's the point? Just give it one name for god's sake, makes life so much easier.

I heard they were afraid Christians would stay away if Scientists was in the title. That may be complete bullshit though.

I bet its true, the word scientist is worse that paedophile in some states, and not forgetting the film features Charles Darwin as a character who is basically Satan as far as half of America is concerned.

Thats exactly why the changed it. They thought that some 'sensitive' people would see it as the spawn of the devil if it had the word 'scientist' in it!

spark1 -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (28/4/2012 12:27:54 PM)

mad mel's latest 'get the gringo' will be called 'how i spent my summer vacation' in the UK.

AngryDude92 -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (2/5/2012 3:39:34 PM)

For some reason the new Andrew Dominic film
Coogan's Trade has been given the much sillier title of Killing me softly [&:]

Shifty Bench -> RE: Ridiculous Movie Title Changes (2/5/2012 7:40:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

mad mel's latest 'get the gringo' will be called 'how i spent my summer vacation' in the UK.

And we're getting it in cinemas and it went straight to satellite TV in the US. It's supposed to be quite good, too.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.027344E-02