RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #070 - Kid Koala (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #070 - Kid Koala (4/5/2012 12:04:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Cool track. [:)] I recognise the horn stabs at about 3 & a half mins in, maybe sampled elsewhere or sumfink.

Here's the album - http://www.discogs.com/Kid-Koala-Def-Beat-Remixes-Vol-3/release/797269 - it appears to be one of a whole series of "unofficial" albums (bootlegs, then) from a few years back.
Each album in the series is from a different artist or DJ, and it looks like they contain some standard tracks, some rare and some remixes of the artists' own stuff or mixes they've done of other artists' songs. The selection of DJs is pretty spot on - as well as Koala, there's Coldcut, LCD Soundsystem, DJ Krush, UNKLE, DJ Magic Mike, Cut Chemist, DJ Shadow and Dan The Automator.

All but one of these artists appear on m'iPod....

Cheers for the help [:)] i'll try and look into that

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #074 - The Sisterhood (4/5/2012 3:24:33 AM)

Again bands i've never listened to, wouldn't mind sniffing that Showbiz offering.I have no clue when it comes to hip hop but i love a good tune when i hear it. I'll swing more to the older stuff as it's a bit of craic sure, i have this great comp somewhere full of gems, especially this, a track dedicated to getting an STD.

Kool Moe Dee - Go See The Doctor
[image]http://lkcdn.com/pics/9/1/6/0/9160-0.jpg[/image]

http://youtu.be/SH5a-deHquc

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #077 - Bracket (9/5/2012 12:10:31 AM)

Well hello sir [:D] glad to see you back

sharkboy -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #066 - The Goats (9/5/2012 9:15:36 AM)

quote:

[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61aer6TqAGL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/image]

Artist: The Goats

Album: Tricks Of The Shade (1992)

Song: "Typical American" - click for video

Another amazing early 90s album that I've not listened to in full (well, sans skits) for a yonker's age. What the fik happened to The Goats? Just one more album after this (a member down) and then nada.
Ah well, we still have this excellent bouncy, wry, political hip-hop record, even if a lot of the rhymes are very much of the era in which the album was released, it's still supoib.

Here's what I said about it in my old album thread:

quote:

ORIGINAL: old me
My proper introduction to hip hop was via a housemate at uni, and the first album I really loved was the underground classic Tricks Of The Shade by The Goats. The Philadelphia band was fronted by a trio of rappers - Oatie, MADD (M.A. double-D) and Swayzack, Italian-American, African-American and Native American respectively. This was real hip hop, miles away from the R&B-featuring-rapper and jiggy shit that was hitting the charts and bypassing my interest.

The Goats' music was heavily political, criticising the likes of the (first) Bush administration, the US military, Christopher Columbus and discrimination against ethnic minorities in the US, whilst espousing anti-homophobic and pro-choice sentiment. Yet the blunt-smoking rappers also had humour and a laid back vibe. Pegging them midway between Public Enemy and Cypress Hill may be valid in terms of their lyrics, but it would be a disservice to the band's musical style, as they had an identity all their own.

For all they had a point, I never really took to the between-track skits, (it's the kind of thing I still skip to this day), but tracks like RU Down wit da Goats, żDo the Digs Dug?, TV Cops and Burn the Flag still stand up as infectious hip hop tunes with quality rhymes today.

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8nIQOVfvkGI/Sz9Who0Ic5I/AAAAAAAACgk/JSPF3m_SOTY/s320/R-303337-1230435447.jpeg[/image]

Holy shit!! It's The Goats!! [:D][:D][sm=worship.gif][sm=worship.gif][sm=worship.gif][sm=worship.gif]  Fuck, but I played this album to death when it came out in my ongoing search for rap/hip-hop that hadn't lost sight of its original social message.  The skits could go do one, but the music was excellent.  As well as the aforementioned tracks, I'd give a shout out for Wrong Pot 2 Piss In and the title track.  The follow-up, No Goats No Glory, missed Oatie's input big-time, but it was still an enjoyable album and had one hell of an opener in Wake'n'Bake [:D]

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #083 - Joy Division (15/5/2012 8:44:40 AM)

^ Jeebus! I aven't listened to Substance in donkeys [&:] i have it on vinyl stored away. it has a inner sleeve with this fantastic piece of art on it

[image]http://www.worldinmotion.net/joydivision/discography/albums/1988/Substance-a.jpg[/image]

I remember buying it with Suede's Animal Nitrate 12" and a fucking BIS single too when i was pottering around Lincoln one day[:)]

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #083 - Joy Division (16/5/2012 10:34:34 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: hubu_phonk
I remember buying it with Suede's Animal Nitrate 12" and a fucking BIS single too when i was pottering around Lincoln one day[:)]

Oof. That's like buying a lovely pasty, but getting two slaps in the face from the baker!

[sm=happy07.gif]

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #084 - I Am Kloot (16/5/2012 2:02:24 PM)

^ Heard the name, but never ventured to listen. Should do [:)]

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #084 - I Am Kloot (17/5/2012 7:09:49 AM)

First time I've checked this list in ages, and there's many I haven't heard of, they all interest me though [:)] Transmisson is an amazing song, probably my favourite JD song as well, tied maybe with She's Lost Control.

matty_b -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #086 - Mansun (22/5/2012 8:48:14 AM)

I was a big Mansun fan back in the day, although I'd still rate their first album as their best.

Also, just reading the blurb for the Herbaliser Band has made me cue it up on Spotify right now. [:)]

matty_b -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #086 - Mansun (22/5/2012 9:41:19 AM)

quote:

quote:

Also, just reading the blurb for the Herbaliser Band has made me cue it up on Spotify right now. [:)]

Sweet. [sm=happy34.gif]
Let me know if you like it!

Well, I'm enjoying the first track. So much so that I'm thinking of planning a heist. [:D]

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #087 - Burial (23/5/2012 11:37:15 AM)

^ I was given a Burial album by a customer in the bar a couple of years ago. never listened to it though [&:]

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #087 - Burial (23/5/2012 12:23:50 PM)

quote:

Check the YouTube link, hubes, see what you reckon. I defo really need to give it some relistens to decide if and how much I actually like it.

That could take years [:D] I never get rid of anything if i can help it, so some artists or albums get magically tucked away and will resurface years later when the time is right, and i'll decide then.

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #087 - Burial (23/5/2012 1:13:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: hubu_phonk
I never get rid of anything if i can help it, so some artists or albums get magically tucked away and will resurface years later when the time is right, and i'll decide then.

How do you know when "the time is right"?! [:D]
Does some mystical force come to you in the night and say in a deep wobbly voice "Huuuuubuuuuu! Today you must listen to that Chromatin Gush album you put in the shed 14 years ago!"?!

pretty much how it goes down [:D]

I do something similar with books. lend them out and say they can lend them too. Whenever the book returns to me, it's the right time for a well deserved re-read. My copy of Julian Copes autobiography has done some travelling in the years i've had it, and when ever it comes back, i'm in the mood for it [:D]

SadFace -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #090 - As Heard on Radio Soulwax Vol.2 (25/5/2012 5:10:10 PM)

quote:

[image]http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/fb39ec3b00e261578c107eb23ab5fb7b/191111.jpg[/image]
[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51gQav0DOXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/image]

Artist: Various

Album: 2 Many DJ's: As Heard on Radio Soulwax pt. 2 (2002)

I absolutely adore this album. In my opinion, it is never anything short of being weirdly brilliant.

Rhubarb -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #089 - Morrissey (26/5/2012 2:34:46 AM)

quote:

[image]http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/fb39ec3b00e261578c107eb23ab5fb7b/191111.jpg[/image]
[image]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zuD6WGLlL._SL500_AA300_.jpg[/image] [image]http://s.ecrater.com/stores/106788/4a3415ee10263_106788n.jpg[/image]

Artist: Morrissey

Augmented Album: Maladjusted (1997)
+ I Can Have Both

Song: "Trouble Loves Me" - click for audio with fan vid

Morrissey makes his 4th entry in the list (3rd solo) and as with Southpaw Grammar, I have the original release, so I'm again missing the additions and new artwork. Any Moz fans who happen upon this (Rhubarb?), I'd appreciate your opinion on whether you think it's worth an upgrade.

I think its his worst solo album to date, certainly in its original form - the good bits, Alma Matters, Maladjuted etc, are wrestled desperately to the ground by the really actively bad stuff like Roy's Keen. I think the remaster is better - it does get rid of the abhorrent Roy's Keen (as well as Papa Jack) for a kick off, but it doesn't make it a really good album, so much as paper over the cracks (it replaces Roy's Keen with two Roy's Keen b-sides, and Papa Jack with Alma Matters flips) and as you have edited the cracks out of your life anyway, I'm not sure how much you would get from upgrading really.

sharkboy -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #094 - The Cure (28/5/2012 1:07:44 PM)

Ha - what a coincidence!  I was telling some friends my Cure-by-association tale at the weekend (summary - friend lost the chance to join them because he was too slow getting his post from his old abode), and listened to this very track on the way to work this morning!  Great song, brilliant singles collection and superb live act too.

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #094 - The Cure (29/5/2012 7:33:59 AM)

^ fuck ! i haven't listened to The Cure in over 10 years [&:] Should try and slap some on

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: Summary #001 to #050 (31/5/2012 1:06:19 AM)

The last few songs are all great except Maps, which is amazing [:D]

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: Summary #001 to #050 (31/5/2012 2:32:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!
The last few songs are all great except Maps, which is amazing [:D]

Good stuff! [:)]
Did you already own some of these tracks, or have you been checking out the links?

I already had the KOL and YYY tracks and I used to listen to Pennywise a lot a few years ago. I've always meant to give RJD2 a listen but had never gotten around to it, I really like Ghostwriter [:)]

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: Summary #001 to #050 (1/6/2012 1:59:18 AM)

I really need to catch up with this. I have about 85 songs to listen to!

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #106 - Ugly Duckling (8/6/2012 3:21:54 PM)

^ great stuff. Been ages since i played that album [:)]

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #106 - Ugly Duckling (8/6/2012 4:34:44 PM)

Cheers, but i'm no muso [:D], but i do like listening to something new. Only listened to about 20, heard of a few more. I'm just a lazy listener the past few years. My three year old is not a fan of D 'n' B by the way, as i just found out. I'll give him a sugary doughnut and fanta neat and see how he feels then [:D]

I should bother my arse with me own thread as well TBH

Keep it up Gram [:)]

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #116 - R.E.M. (20/6/2012 11:33:18 AM)

^ The first REM album and one of the first albums i bought for myself ( the other was Ugly Kid Joe 'as ugly as they wanna be' i think?!?) both on cassette. It started a wee obsession with REM up until 'Monster'. I lost interest after that for some reason. All their early work is wonderful [:)]

hubu_phonk -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #116 - R.E.M. (20/6/2012 1:33:16 PM)

quote:

Agreed on the earlier stuff. Listening to Out Of Time now, it really sounds like a transitional album between the R.E.M. of old and the dull stadium band they became. A couple of tracks, Texarkana particularly, defo still sound like their older stuff.

But then, I haven't heard any of the albums after Automatic, just singles and odd songs. I'd given up on them by that point.

My friend still keeps buying their stuff. But whenever i see a song by them on telly box, i can't help feeling that they've become their own best cover band. They sound good ( as they should after all those years) but they just seem to be eating their own creative tail. One of my favourite albums is 'Green', but i always change my mind. All the early albums up to 'Automatic..' are just full of amazing, beautiful songs. My all time fav REM song is 'Fall on me'. it just really gets to me, still!.

matty_b -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #116 - R.E.M. (20/6/2012 2:35:06 PM)

Fucking hipsters.

Great last two songs, though. [:D]

tommyjarvis -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #117 - Sasha & Digweed (20/6/2012 8:53:42 PM)

With REM, I'm in the minority, but I much prefer their 90s material. Their 80s stuff is listenable and there's a few good songs (Radio Free Europe, So Central Rain, Driver 8 etc) but a lot of it seems lightweight and samey to me. I think they got much more interesting with Automatic For The People, Monster and New Adventures in Hi-Fi, trying some harder rock etc and producing many a great under-rated song, such as Departure, Crush With Eyeliner, Leave, Find The River, Bittersweet Me, Strange Currencies etc.

As for Out Of Time, it's good (much better than Green, although not as good as Document), with Losing My Religion, Shiny Happy People and Near Wild Heaven being the main highpoints. Low is my favourite song on the album though.

Rhubarb -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #117 - Sasha & Digweed (22/6/2012 1:23:51 AM)

re MGMT, their second album abandons all pretense of making pop tunes and indulges those proggy leanings fully. So, erm, yeah you probably wouldn't like it.

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #127 - Incubus (29/6/2012 1:37:12 AM)

I love NIN and Nirvana, and you're spot-on with your song choices too! I actually listened to With Teeth just the other day.

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #127 - Incubus (3/7/2012 1:43:25 AM)

quote:

[sm=happy34.gif]
Yeah, I was really surprised and pleased that I liked With Teeth so much, especially as tehre was a 12 or 13 year gap since I'd got any NIN material (plus another couple of years to actually get round to listening to it). I'm happy to learn that I haven't grown up, and I can still enjoy shouty grimy industrial records! I'm tempted to subvert the Project (again) and give NIN's Year Zero a proper listen a.s.a.p...

Actually, I have listened to a bit of newer industrial in the interim - after seeing the video for Pro-Test on YouTube, I picked up some of the more recent Skinny Puppy stuff a couple of years ago, and although it's very different (calmer, fancier synth & sampler tricks, better produced) than the Puppy of old, I still found stuff to like in it. If you like industrial stuff, it's worth a listen / watch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS-gGYaA8F0), and the b-boy video is clearly aimed at a different audience to their fucked-up old stuff...

[:D] I'm not that big on industrial but I've always had a love for Nine Inch Nails. I haven't had a proper listen to Year Zero in ages, but I remember liking it. Cheers for the reccomendation, I'll give it a look [:)]

tommyjarvis -> RE: Gram's Top Song Project: #117 - Sasha & Digweed (3/7/2012 8:13:24 PM)

quote:

You're fairly young, though, aren't you, TJ? If I remember right.
What was the first REM song you remember?

I'm in my late 30s. I was a sixth former when Losing My Religion came out, so that may have something to do with it. There was, and is, no excuse for Shiny Whiny People though! [;)]

I was getting into louder, rockier bands by the time Automatic For The People came out, and all the played-to-death balladic singles like Nightswimming and Everybody Hurts, and Man on the Moon for that matter, just really turned me off the album, and by extension the band, and I ceased following their releases. Mrs123 has Monster, but I've never listened to it. I still like Drive from Automatic, though. And the Cohen cover b-side, First We Take Manhattan was probably better than anything on the album.

I'm 26, I think the first REM song I remember coming out was Bittersweet Me, off New Adventures..., although the first one I remember really liking was The Great Beyond in 2000. For quite a few years I only knew the major singles and it's only in the last two or three years I've started working through the albums. Maybe if I'd started with the 80s albums back when they came out I'd have preferred them, but as it is I find myself enjoying their 90s work a lot more.

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI