Empire mix-club thread - now recruiting for round two! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile

MonsterCat -> Empire mix-club thread - now recruiting for round two! (13/3/2012 10:44:54 PM)

OK, here goes round one of our super happy fun time mix-club. Just a quick repeat of what's going to happen...

1. All six members will be sorted into pairs. All pairs will swap playlists via their preferred method, whether it's a link to a Spotify playlist, a CDR, a zipfile, a USB stick, smoke signals, whatever. Once you have your mix-club partner's playlist, give it a spin and then post a track-by-track breakdown review of that playlist.

2. There will be no restrictions on the length of the playlists, but try to keep them to a reasonable running time.

3. Deadline is 26th May. Should be enough time, right?

4. Fritzlan, if you need a deadline extension please PM me. [:D]

5. Now I know that during the mix-club's previous incarnation there was a theme for every round, but for this first round I'm saying balls to themes and you guys can just put down whatever you think your mix-club partner might like. If there's a band/singer that you like and your partner is unfamiliar with their work, why not make a mix of their stuff as an introduction to their work? Feel free to bounce around some ideas in this thread or PMs.

OK, the pairs are...

Qwerty Norris and Fritzlfan

Rick 7 and MonsterCat

Superdan and Paul_ie86

Have fun, y'all.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (13/3/2012 11:20:46 PM)

Are you on Spotify superdan?

superdan -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (14/3/2012 1:45:33 AM)

I signed up for it a couple of years ago, but I've used it maybe twice in all that time. Checked my account and it's still active though, so I'm happy to use it as long as I can figure out how [:D]

Qwerty Norris -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (14/3/2012 6:50:53 AM)

Mr Fritzl, any preference in regards to a format? I'll do whatever...

paul_ie86 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (14/3/2012 2:27:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I signed up for it a couple of years ago, but I've used it maybe twice in all that time. Checked my account and it's still active though, so I'm happy to use it as long as I can figure out how [:D]

Cool. Cool cool cool

MonsterCat -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (14/3/2012 7:27:40 PM)

Is it possible to sticky this thread, Mods?

rick_7 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (14/3/2012 7:47:51 PM)

Please can you PM your address and a sexy photo? Or just your address. Or just a photo. Also, CD would be best for me, as I live in 1993.

MonsterCat -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (14/3/2012 7:51:55 PM)

Have you cleared your PM inbox since yesterday? I only ask because I had trouble sending you a sexy photo PM last night.

MonsterCat -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (14/3/2012 8:02:43 PM)

Ah - so you have.

PM sent.

superdan -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (14/3/2012 9:43:03 PM)

Paul do you want to let me know how I can get you your playlist through Spotify? I reckon I've nearly sorted one out, just needs a few more tweaks.

rick_7 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (14/3/2012 9:46:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Have you cleared your PM inbox since yesterday? I only ask because I had trouble sending you a sexy photo PM last night.

Yeah, sorry, I am basically just a terrible and very popular person.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (15/3/2012 2:41:47 PM)

quote:

Paul do you want to let me know how I can get you your playlist through Spotify? I reckon I've nearly sorted one out, just needs a few more tweaks.

If you right click the on playlist name, there should be a menu. Copy the http link and post the link on here or send me a PM, whichever you prefer.

superdan -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (15/3/2012 3:43:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

If you right click the on playlist name, there should be a menu. Copy the http link and post the link on here or send me a PM, whichever you prefer.

Your box is full (just like your mum's, arf), so here's the link: http://open.spotify.com/user/humberwolf/playlist/3gs5Xszz3jDQDNElN1YF9H

Hope you enjoy it. If it doesn't work for whatever reason let me know, I can always send a CD.

FritzlFan -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (15/3/2012 4:39:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

4. Fritzlan, if you need a deadline extension please PM me. [:D]

Cheeky git. [:D]

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

Mr Fritzl, any preference in regards to a format? I'll do whatever...

I honestly don't mind. I suppose either a CD or a spotify link would be my preference. Or maybe a zip file.

rick_7 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (21/3/2012 7:56:41 PM)

Just got my CD from MonsterCat (thanks!) and about to give it a first listen while I do the washing up. MC, yours is made and enveloped and I'll get it in the first post tomorrow, if indeed they still have such a thing as a first post.

MonsterCat -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (21/3/2012 8:13:57 PM)

[sm=happy34.gif]

MonsterCat -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (23/3/2012 11:40:36 AM)

Your CD turned up this morning, Rick.

I'll spin at some point this weekend. Thanks, buddy. [sm=happy34.gif]

paul_ie86 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (24/3/2012 6:05:12 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

quote:

Your box is full (just like your mum's, arf), so here's the link: http://open.spotify.com/user/humberwolf/playlist/3gs5Xszz3jDQDNElN1YF9H

Hope you enjoy it. If it doesn't work for whatever reason let me know, I can always send a CD.

Just seen this. I'll listen to it when I finish Leftism.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (24/3/2012 11:04:31 PM)

Mean Man- Betty Harris
Pretty good opening track. I haven't really listened to funk before and this was a good introduction

Shame Shame Shame- Shirley & Company
I could imagine dancing to this while I'm drunk and pointing and shouting the chorus at people who aren't dancing.

Ain't Gonna Do Without You- Tim Hardin
Really good so far. 3 for 3

Big - Demo- Moby Grape
A bit of a step down from the other 3, but still good

Just for Me and You- Poco
Didn't really do anything for me.

Marie Provost- Nick Lowe
I like it. Reminds me of Bowie.

New York City- Pete Molinari
Great stuff, really dirty and low down

Sex and Candy- Marcy Playground
Great stuff

Chasing the Dream- Sunhouse
It's alright. Not as good as the last two.

What Do You Know?- Matthew Sweet
The Horizon is a Beltway- The Low Anthem, Jocie Adams, Jeffery Prytowsky, Ben Knox Miller

Neither did much for me.

Way Down Now- World Party
Now this one I like.

Twisterella- Ride
It was alright. Nothing special.

Freezing Point (Vs. The Greatest of All Time)- Archers of Loaf
Nice ending to the mix.

Mine's a bit more random than yours but I hope you enjoy it. http://open.spotify.com/user/sweetp86/playlist/0Ej00XXIg0NdsGXq3ZCE8i

superdan -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (26/3/2012 1:52:43 PM)

I've just had a listen through; thoughts:

Scott Walker - Jackie
Great song, good start. I keep meaning to pick up Scott 2, this has given me a kick in the arse again.

Leftfield - Afro Left
Fantastic, one of the best from a brilliant album.

Alex Turner - Hiding Tonigh
t
A bit of a comedown after a barnstorming start. I've actually got the soundtrack but never listened to it, I've not been hugely impressed with Turner (or the Monkey's) for a little while now. I get the impression I would have enjoyed this more if I'd seen the film.

Leonard Cohen - Famous Blue Raincoat

Not much of a fan of this one, even though you're not supposed to say that about Leonard Cohen round here [:D]

Clint Mansell - Memories
Really lovely bit of music, but after the previous two tracks I was getting a bit foggy - I honestly didn't notice the change from the previous track into this one.

Nicola Roberts - Gladiator
Welcome change of pace. Wouldn't have expected to like it but it's a nice, engaging bit of pop. Impressed.

Karen O & The Kids - Worried Shoes
I love this, probably my favourite one from the soundtrack.

Long Blondes - You Could Have Both

Great. I haven't listened to this album for yonks and I'll be digging it out again, this has reminded me what I had forgotten.

Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie xx - Running

It's alright, but I prefer the original too much to really enjoy it.

Lady Gaga - Judas (Goldfrapp Mix)
I really, really liked this. Kind of grimy, it reminded me of the sort of tracks you sometimes get in certain sci-fi films (in a good way). I don't know if it's more to do with Goldfrapp than Gaga, but I don't really care either.

Warpaint - Billie Holiday

I don't mind this one, but I can't help feeling it's just a bit overlong. I find myself waiting for it to end.

And So I Watch You From Afar - 7 Billion People All Alive At Once

Like.

Trent Reznor et al. - Immigrant Song
It's a decent cover, but can't compare with the original for me.

All in all I enjoyed it, some hits some misses like you'd expect with this sort of thing but some stuff I hadn't heard before that I'm probably going to follow up on which is always welcome.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (26/3/2012 2:23:14 PM)

I did worry about that Hiding Tonight-Famous Blue Raincoat-Memories run actually. But I'm glad you liked most of it anyway. If you liked Gladiator, you should check out her album, Cinderellas Eyes

superdan -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (26/3/2012 2:34:21 PM)

Is Gladiator representative of the standard of the album? If it is I'll definitely be tempted to go for it. Same for the Gaga one too (and I never thought I'd be saying that).

paul_ie86 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (26/3/2012 4:07:03 PM)

Yeah, there's very little filler on it imo. I haven't really listened to the rest of the remixes but Goldfrpp's Judas remix sounds nothing like anything on Born This Way. I do like Born This Way though, but not as much as The Fame Monster.

Here's the spotify links for both
Cinderella's Eyes
Born This Way (I don't know which version this is. There's loads versions of Born This Way on there)

rick_7 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (26/3/2012 6:53:51 PM)

Thanks to MonsterCat for the CD (and for doing a CD rather than something more modern), I’m really enjoying it. I've had a few listens now, so here are the reviews:

1. Mogwai – I’m Jim Morrison, I’m Dead
I read a review in a fanzine once that said: “Mogwai: quiet bit, loud bit, quiet bit. Genius.” Pretty much that, except it doesn’t have a second quiet bit. Really like this. Great soundscape: intense, tuneful. (9)
2. Real Estate – Easy
Tuneful, laid-back indie thing with a nice feel and muted vocals that sound a bit Ian Brownish. (7)
3. Regina Spektor – Us
This is amazing. I’ve listened to it about a dozen times already. (10)
4. Wolf Parade – Modern World
Don’t like this much, I’m afraid. Just a bit one-note and the lyrics aren’t very interesting. (3)
5. Cold War Kids – Hang Me Up to Dry
This is damn funky. (8)
6. Battles – Ice Cream
Almost exactly replicates the feeling of being pissed on spirits. (6)
7. LCD Soundsystem – Drunk Girls
The odd funny line, but I find the tune quite annoying. (3)
8. Modest Mouse – Dashboard
This sounds like two other songs. One of them is Funky Town, I can’t place the other one. Mannered, but in a good way, and catchy. (7)
9. Interpol – Slow Hands
I know everyone says they sound like a less good Joy Division, but they sound like a less good Joy Division. Joy Division are great, though – and I like the chorus and its “this is a wasteland now” pay-off. (6)
10. Spoon – The Underdog
A weird nerd revenge fantasy that sounds incredibly like Reelin’ in the Years by Steely Dan. I’ve had it in my head all day. (7)
11. OK Go – This Too Shall Pass
Bombastic semi-anthem. A bit repetitive, but it’s growing on me, mostly thanks to the awesome distorted percussion. (6)
12. We Are Scientists – After Hours
This sounds a bit like Interpol (please excuse my philistinism). A bit bland, but a few nice bits. (5)
13. The Decemberists – Oh Valencia!
I like the guy’s peculiar voice, he sounds a bit like Chris Morris doing that local TV news thing in The Day Today. The song goes to some interesting places (Spain) and has a nice ending. (7)
14. Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues
Starts off like some great lost Simon and Garfunkel song, then gets slower and more obscure as it goes along. Liked this a lot. (9)
15. Cat Power – Lived in Bars
One of three songs on here that just blew me away. Brilliant vocals. (10)
16. Feist – How Come You Never Go There
Great sound, though it doesn’t really go anywhere (no pun intended; I’d be bragging if it were). (8)
17. Yo La Tengo – The Weakest Part
This is jaunty, though it doesn’t inspire any emotions whatsoever. What a great name for an album (‘I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass’). (6)
18. Bon Iver – Re: Stacks
Goodness me, this is terrific. I’ve heard the name, but haven't heard him before. Really affecting. (10)

So yes, I will be investigating Regina Spektor, Cat Power (who I’ve heard once or twice before) and Bon Iver lots more. And a couple of others, if they continue to be growers…

rawlinson -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (26/3/2012 7:03:22 PM)

I'm enjoying reading these, more people post stuff please. [:)]

Rhubarb -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (26/3/2012 7:06:06 PM)

I was just about to say the same, this is a great read, i'll be up for taking part next time if theres room (and i'm not paired with Paul who is just sending people my music)

rawlinson -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (26/3/2012 7:14:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I was just about to say the same, this is a great read, i'll be up for taking part next time if theres room (and i'm not paired with Paul who is just sending people my music)

[:D] He did a great mix though, not many better ways to start a mix than with Jackie.

paul_ie86 -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (26/3/2012 7:36:56 PM)

'Tis true. 5/13 songs are ones that I've gotten into via Rhubarb. I'm not sure what I bring to this friendship tbh.

(Potatoes)

Rhubarb -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (26/3/2012 7:40:40 PM)

[sm=happy07.gif]

superdan -> RE: Empire Mix-Club Round 1 (26/3/2012 7:41:38 PM)

I think one of the best things about doing a Mixclub is being taken out of your comfort zone and getting into stuff you'd not normally listen to. For instance I would not have thought in a million years that I would even listen to a track by Nicola Roberts, let alone enjoy it.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI