Good film writing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Willie Mayes Hayes -> Good film writing (9/3/2012 9:56:40 AM)

Hi. Can anyone point me in the direction of good film criticism/reviews? Besides Empire's, of course. I'm looking for some good, long form writing, online preferably. Thanks in advance

Sutty -> RE: Good film writing (9/3/2012 10:20:25 AM)

One of the greatest reviews of a bad movie I ever read was of Jaws: The Revenge on the Jabootu website. Truly awesome.

Bonged Kiwi -> RE: Good film writing (13/3/2012 11:37:11 PM)

It seems almost too obvious to mention, but Roger Ebert.

His website has a huge database of all his reviews going back to the 60's and 70's.

There is also his "Great Movies" collection, which are essays about... great movies. Obviously.

These are compiled in to books, volumes 1, 2 and 3 and I'd highly recommend reading them that way. Mainly because if you pick out the films to read on the net, you'll probably just skip some that you haven't heard of, but reading the books, there are SO many more movies I want to see now that I'd never even heard of before reading them.

directorscut -> RE: Good film writing (13/3/2012 11:45:53 PM)

rick_7's blog.

If you ignore the Attack the Block love.

Willie Mayes Hayes -> RE: Good film writing (22/3/2012 2:18:16 PM)

@Bonged Kiwi
Thanks for that. I'd been on Ebert's site but never noticed the great movies section

@Sutty
Working through that review now, really funny so far

Thanks for the replies

Myxomatosis -> RE: Good film writing (28/4/2012 5:28:07 PM)

There are only a few reviews online as most are in the magazine, but Sight and Sound always provide a very thorough review

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
2.734375E-02