Classics you've never seen (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

Whistler -> Classics you've never seen (22/2/2012 12:14:24 PM)

Almost every time I'm talking about films - no matter who with - people always mention something I haven't seen. Even though I'm constantly seeking out different movies, from little-known indie flicks to stone-cold classics, there's always something. So I thought we should dedicate a thread to admitting to those unseen films, in the hopes that the shock exhibited from other posters will give us the kick up the backside we need to actually sit down and watch them [:)]

I'll start:

I've never seen Gone With The Wind, A Clockwork Orange or Blue Velvet (in fact, I've hardly seen any David Lynch stuff [&:])

JIm R -> RE: Classics you've never seen (22/2/2012 12:16:37 PM)

Twelve Angry Men.

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: Classics you've never seen (22/2/2012 12:22:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Twelve Angry Men.

This. Also Gone With The Wind, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, All About Eve. I'm sure there's more too I just can't think of them yet

st3veebee -> RE: Classics you've never seen (22/2/2012 12:33:24 PM)

I bought Rome, Open City about 6 years ago and still haven't watched it. Otherwise i haven't seen:

-Bonnie and Clyde

-The Gold Rush

-Planet of the Apes

-The Big Sleep

-Paths of Glory

-The Searchers

..........a LOT basically. Instead I choose to watch more modern drivel usually because it requires less effort. It's sad but true.

In time I will see them..

Discodez -> RE: Classics you've never seen (22/2/2012 1:59:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

[mods - I searched for this thread several times but nothing came up. As always, apologies if it's already been done]

I love movies, as I'm sure all of us on these forums do. Now I watch at least a film a day, ranging from Hollywood blockbusters, to classics, to lesser-known indie pics and foreign films, but every time I'm talking about films - no matter who with - people always mention ones I haven't seen. Even watching a film a day, even constantly seeking out classics, there's always something I haven't seen. So I thought we should dedicate a thread to admitting to those unseen films, in the hopes that the shock exhibited from other posters will give us the kick up the backside we need to actually sit down and watch them [:)]

I'll start:

I've never seen Gone With The Wind, A Clockwork Orange or Blue Velvet (in fact, I've hardly seen any David Lynch stuff [&:])

Don't bother with Gone with the wind, it's shit and you'll hate yourself for wasting 9 hours of your life or however long you can stand it for before you are possessed by such an overwhelming hatred of and desire to kill Scarlett O'Hara that you smash your TV into millions of tiny pieces.

For myself, I've never seen Fritz Lang's Metropolis or M, although I do have both on my Amazon wish list, and I've never seen Kurosawa's 7 Samurai all the way through either.

fuzzy -> RE: Classics you've never seen (22/2/2012 3:46:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

I bought Rome, Open City about 6 years ago and still haven't watched it. Otherwise i haven't seen:

-Bonnie and Clyde

-The Gold Rush

-Planet of the Apes

-The Big Sleep

-Paths of Glory

-The Searchers

..........a LOT basically. Instead I choose to watch more modern drivel usually because it requires less effort. It's sad but true.

In time I will see them..

I'm embarrassed to admit it but it's the same for me. As you get older you have less time and the attention span turns to zero - well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it! I went through a period about 10 or so years ago where I made a concerted effort to watch some classics (inspired by an Empire 100 films you should have seen or something) - sadly, I haven't had the luxury since.

filmfanatic123 -> RE: Classics you've never seen (22/2/2012 4:42:29 PM)

Casablanca
Gone with the wind
Blue Velvet
The Godfather part 2
Ben-Hur
Spartacus

Loads really, although I did sit down at Christmas and watched It's a Wonderful Life - brilliant film.

Might have to catch up on that little list some day.

Cool Breeze -> RE: Classics you've never seen (22/2/2012 7:44:54 PM)

Lawrence Of Arabia.

Spartacus.

The Great Escape.

The Guns Of Navarone.

filmfanatic123 -> RE: Classics you've never seen (22/2/2012 11:56:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Lawrence Of Arabia.

Spartacus.

The Great Escape.

The Guns Of Navarone.

The Great Escape is a MUST watch. It's on every Christmas for christ's sake!

Zaphod121 -> RE: Classics you've never seen (23/2/2012 12:38:04 AM)

All the films mentioned so far except 12 Angry Men, Blue Velvet and Planet of the Apes and up until about a week ago I had never seen Taxi Driver.

Hood_Man -> RE: Classics you've never seen (23/2/2012 4:28:40 AM)

The Godfather Trilogy, Gone With The Wind, most of Hitchcocks films.

The above three examples are doubly awful since I own them all on DVD.

I find I'm the same as Fuzzy in that I can't concentrate on watching a film enough these days, or certainly not as much as I used to. I actually miss the days when I was able to sit down in front of the TV and watch my latest DVD purchase with excitement. Now they just build up on my shelf.

I've made an effort lately with Lovefilm and I've gotten through about a dozen or so films this past fortnight. Alas, this seems to be ending as I've had Cabaret and Ratcatcher for several days, and only today did I get round to finishing Cabaret.

To be honest there are hundreds of classics I haven't watched.

Rebel scum -> RE: Classics you've never seen (23/2/2012 7:30:19 AM)

Gone With the Wind
Dr. Zhivago
Ben-Hur
Spartacus
The Graduate
The Night of the Hunter
The Gold Rush
The Wild Bunch

And loads more.

vad3r -> RE: Classics you've never seen (23/2/2012 11:38:25 PM)

Drive.

paul_lfc -> RE: Classics you've never seen (24/2/2012 12:41:46 AM)

Citizen Kane, looks boring as hell, one of those films pretentious pseudo intellectuals love but is probably a load of shite

Rebel scum -> RE: Classics you've never seen (24/2/2012 12:45:13 AM)

I thought the same, but when I got round to watching it I realised it's actually surprisingly entertaining. A lot of allegedly difficult films are like that, Seventh Seal is another example.

And there's no way I'm pretentious (I don't think other people like that word round these parts!), pseudo or intellectual [:D]

Spaldron -> RE: Classics you've never seen (24/2/2012 1:22:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_lfc

Citizen Kane, looks boring as hell, one of those films pretentious pseudo intellectuals love but is probably a load of shite

Lol.

Hood_Man -> RE: Classics you've never seen (24/2/2012 1:38:48 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_lfc

It's entertaining you should try it. I remember the first time I saw, I was impressed as was everyone else but what stood out the most was how modern it feels, especially the pacing.

Fit Kisto -> RE: Classics you've never seen (25/2/2012 12:33:49 PM)

Eraserhead. - wating on the next dvd or Bluray re-release.

OPEN YOUR EYES -> RE: Classics you've never seen (25/2/2012 12:36:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fit Kisto

Eraserhead. - wating on the next dvd or Bluray re-release.

You're in for a tweat.[;)]

chewbacasnapsak -> RE: Classics you've never seen (26/2/2012 9:29:00 AM)

I have a long list of classics that I'm working my way through, I tend to watch them when my love affair with modern cinema disapates. Been watching classics more and more these past few years.

Brighton Rock is next

itsmandylee101 -> RE: Classics you've never seen (27/2/2012 3:38:15 PM)

Mine would be:

- A Streetcar named Desire
- The Godfather
- Fargo
- Lolita (the very first one)

I'm planning to watch all of them when I'm done with school this summer break though.

neopol -> RE: Classics you've never seen (12/3/2012 12:05:46 PM)

My wanted list is updated regularly, but the main ones at the moment are as follows. (*) denotes that I already have the DVD but not yet watched it. The rest will follow at some point...

Seven Samurai (1954) *
Taxi Driver (1976) *
The Haunting (1963)
Battleship Potemkin (1925)
The Birth Of A Nation (1915)
Intolerance (1916)
The French Connection (1971) *
The Gold Rush (1925) *

The beauty of films like this is that most are easily available and some are quite cheap, certainly with the second hand market becomes so prevalent over the past 12 months. The "Seven Samurai" was a major exception, were you can expect to pay anything from 7 - 30. I paid 5.88 for my copy, again, second hand... Hope it was worth it.

st3veebee -> RE: Classics you've never seen (12/3/2012 12:09:36 PM)

Forgot about Eraserhead. is there a Blu Ray release date set? I had trouble even finding it on DVD a few years ago and subsequently gave up.

As for Citizen Kane: I genuinely love that film, and I struggled with a good few "classics" (Giant..it.. never.. ends).

Whistler -> RE: Classics you've never seen (12/3/2012 8:29:37 PM)

I've now seen Blue Velvet. Liked it.

TolkenHobbitGuy -> RE: Classics you've never seen (12/3/2012 9:37:32 PM)

While there is quite a few classics i've yet to see,
there are some legendary directors from who's filmography
i've never seen anything, for example Billy Wilder and for that i'm quite ashamed.

chewbacasnapsak -> RE: Classics you've never seen (13/3/2012 10:01:35 PM)

Watch Stalag 17 now.

bestfilmsever -> RE: Classics you've never seen (14/3/2012 1:35:02 PM)

My wife keeps trying to make me watch Grease and Dirty Dancing. According to her they are classics, i'm not so sure.

MonsterCat -> RE: Classics you've never seen (14/3/2012 1:59:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: st3veebee

Forgot about Eraserhead. is there a Blu Ray release date set?

Universal are releasing it on Blu-ray in June alongside Lost Highway, Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks FWWM and Blue Velvet. All of which I'm very excited about. They're also releasing Dune, but that thing can go suck a nut.

st3veebee -> RE: Classics you've never seen (14/3/2012 2:43:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Universal are releasing it on Blu-ray in June alongside Lost Highway, Wild at Heart, Twin Peaks FWWM and Blue Velvet. All of which I'm very excited about. They're also releasing Dune, but that thing can go suck a nut.

June is going to be awesome apparently. Haven't seen Twin Peaks FWWM (saw the show) or Dune either.

jonson -> RE: Classics you've never seen (14/3/2012 3:13:00 PM)

I've made a point of digging out classics over the years and watching them. I've found that 99% of the time, they are classics because they are brilliant (seems obvious I know), and I've kicked myself for not doing it before (although to be fair, Gone With The Wind and Casablanca were hardly top box office gold when I was preferring horror films [:D])
I've still not seen Citizen Kane or The Third Man though.
The biggest shock was 12 Angry Men. I don't think I left the edge of my seat for the duration of the film, and I'm pretty sure I didn't breath either. Me and the wife were transfixed.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI