RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

musht -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (17/10/2013 7:42:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

At least Brody's back next week. Spoilering fecks!! Although it was kinda predictable he would be back in ep3.

And also, this: FFUUUUURRRRRCCCCKKKK YYYOOOOOOOOUUUUU SSSSSSAAAAUUUURRRLLLLL.

Ah shit, I hadn't even considered that as a spoiler because RTE spoiled it during the end credits of episode 2, and it didn't occur to me that C4 wouldn't do the same. Sorry about that

CORLEONE -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (17/10/2013 7:47:16 PM)

Aint no thang, dawg. Show needed him back for the 3rd ep, although Carrie and Saul have carried it well on their own.

great_badir -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (18/10/2013 1:26:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
No surprise someone from The Guardian found it upsetting. I'm surprised they're not complaining about Saul's beard shape as well.
I don't really know much about bi-polar, but she seems to be slowly turning schizophrenic, which I'm guessing isn't quite the same thing. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as manic depression, although I'm probably wrong.

At their most basic, you are correct - bi-polar and manic depression are pretty much the same thing.

As someone with direct experience of bi-polar/manic depression (not me, but someone very close to me), a lot more of Danes' portrayal of the disorder in series 2 rings true than that Guardian piece allows. Different people experience the disorder in different ways and it affects them in different ways and, just because the author has never experienced or done the things that Carrie has done, doesn't mean that Homeland is stereotyping. Early on in that piece, the author makes a big thing of series 2 suggesting that Carrie's disorder is the reason behind the choices she makes and is in large part to blame for those choices, but disputes the accuracy of that. Well, all I can say is that that was certainly the case with the person I know, who made some terrible choices and acted irresponsibly (two marriages got incredibly close to ending because of those actions), and it can be blamed 100% on their manic depression - "normalised" on their medication, they have not since acted in that same fashion. The way it was described to me was as if there were two people inhabiting the same brain and body, and one of them "selves" could see exactly what they were saying and doing was wrong (wrong being an understatement) and, not only that, but they knew that it was wrong and that part of them was saying "what the fuck are you doing?!?!?!?", yet the other "self" had a much stronger will and forced/let those things to happen and be said. Which I guess is also verging on schizophrenia, although as I understand it schizophrenia separates those two (or more) "selves" into individual "selves" that are not aware of what the other "selves" are doing. Or something (I know very little about schizophrenia. If it wasn't obvious). Anyway, I'm pleased to say that, since being on anti-depressants, this person in question now leads a relatively normal life, and they for one are a big supporter of medicating against the disorder. I too have a new-found respect for anti-depressant drugs - the change in this person has been incredible.

As for the lack of focus on Carrie's doctor, the off-meds decision and how all that affects her, well I guess then you have to accept that, regardless of how believable Homeland is trying to be, I don't think anyone wants to see hours and hours of TV time devoted to seeing how someone is managing their mental disorder in a show which is primarily about terrorism, spying and political intrigue. It would be like 24 devoting an entire series to the reasons why Jack Bauer's marriage broke down.

Anyways, admittedly we are only a couple of episodes in to series 3, but already I find myself flagging and only watching it for the sake of watching it.

Also, trailers on 4 for this series before it started included several images of Brody, so I don't think there's any spoilering going on at all by "revealing" that he's about to make his return.

wombathog -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (18/10/2013 1:44:17 PM)

I wait with baited breath to see what happens to Rupert Friend in coming episodes. He went from auditioning to be the next James Bond in episode 1 to 'bloke that sits in the back of rooms' in episode 2. At least he got to threaten a guy in the street too.

and with reference to the Next Time bit (look away if you've been ignoring that) it finally looks like Brody has turned his back on his culture, heritage and whole identity. That's right, he's tyring to pretend he's not ginger. i don't know how the showrunners expect us to believe that turn of events. Cue anti-ginger rant in the paper next week. [:D]

great_badir -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (18/10/2013 1:47:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wombathog
That's right, he's tyring to pretend he's not ginger. i don't know how the showrunners expect us to believe that turn of events. Cue anti-ginger rant in the paper next week. [:D]

Still couldn't do anything about the pale skin and freckles, though...

(I can say that - I'm part ginge)

musht -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (18/10/2013 3:20:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

As for the lack of focus on Carrie's doctor, the off-meds decision and how all that affects her, well I guess then you have to accept that, regardless of how believable Homeland is trying to be, I don't think anyone wants to see hours and hours of TV time devoted to seeing how someone is managing their mental disorder in a show which is primarily about terrorism, spying and political intrigue. It would be like 24 devoting an entire series to the reasons why Jack Bauer's marriage broke down.

I think this is one of the problems though. The writers aren't actually dealing with/handling Carrie's mental illness. It's just a plot device that allows them to have her do stupid things, without actually dealing with the issue itself. I get that no one wants to see hours of therapy etc, makes sense, I'd get bored myself, but they've made her illness such a huge deal that it seems very weird that we don't get to see that stuff. I personally think it would interesting to see her discuss with someone how to manage her condition while also doing her job competently, but so far she's either on her meds and "foggy" or off them and a manic, sometimes irrational analytical genius. Surely there must some sort of balance? Maybe there's not, either way I think the writers need to address it more clearly.

great_badir -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (18/10/2013 3:36:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht
I think this is one of the problems though. The writers aren't actually dealing with/handling Carrie's mental illness. It's just a plot device that allows them to have her do stupid things, without actually dealing with the issue itself. I get that no one wants to see hours of therapy etc, makes sense, I'd get bored myself, but they've made her illness such a huge deal that it seems very weird that we don't get to see that stuff. I personally think it would interesting to see her discuss with someone how to manage her condition while also doing her job competently, but so far she's either on her meds and "foggy" or off them and a manic, sometimes irrational analytical genius. Surely there must some sort of balance? Maybe there's not, either way I think the writers need to address it more clearly.

It's a valid point I guess, but having experienced it myself through someone else (without all the explosions and CIA stuff, obviously), I've never sat there and thought that whilst watching it.

If I understand it correctly, anti-depressants and lithium merely attempt to balance the brain, rather than cure the problem. It is, as far as I know with bi-polar, rarely a 100% successful and totally even balance - there will still be the odd super-high and super-low, and there's a list of side effects as long as your arm which will be different for different people (in my example's case, it has all-but totally killed off their libido - "dry as a desert" as they've told me, ergo the increased sex drive Carrie has when she's not taking her meds rings VERY true) - to me, Carrie's "foggy"ness is a side effect of her meds.

Unfortunately, none of this is improving the show any...

musht -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (18/10/2013 3:55:45 PM)

quote:

It's a valid point I guess, but having experienced it myself through someone else (without all the explosions and CIA stuff, obviously), I've never sat there and thought that whilst watching it.

If I understand it correctly, anti-depressants and lithium merely attempt to balance the brain, rather than cure the problem. It is, as far as I know with bi-polar, rarely a 100% successful and totally even balance - there will still be the odd super-high and super-low, and there's a list of side effects as long as your arm which will be different for different people (in my example's case, it has all-but totally killed off their libido - "dry as a desert" as they've told me, ergo the increased sex drive Carrie has when she's not taking her meds rings VERY true) - to me, Carrie's "foggy"ness is a side effect of her meds.

Unfortunately, none of this is improving the show any...

You see, that all sounds really interesting to me. The writers have a brilliant opportunity to widen the audience's knowledge of bi-polar whilst also melding it into how it affects Carrie's very stressful job as a spy. Instead though, as I mentioned earlier, it's just a plot device, and as you mentioned it's not even working properly because the show has gone seriously downhill.

jonson -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (21/10/2013 7:41:00 AM)

[sm=rolleyes10.gif] interesting stuff badir and musht.....

Anyway, fell asleep after half an hour last night, fuck knows what was going on, plus there was no Dana. [:D] [;)]

great_badir -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (21/10/2013 1:01:33 PM)

Dana is the best, obvs.

(Haven't seen episode 3 yet)

galvatron -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (21/10/2013 2:21:56 PM)

quote:

Anyway, fell asleep after half an hour last night, fuck knows what was going on, plus there was no Dana. [:D] [;)]

It goes back to being Dana's Creek next week [:D]

musht -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (21/10/2013 3:34:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: galvatron

quote:

It goes back to being Dana's Creek next week [:D]

If someone had told during the first season that two seasons down the line I'd be watching two suicidal teens do it in a laundry room I'd have laughed in their face.

Mister Coe -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (21/10/2013 8:07:40 PM)

I thought it was a terrific episode, the best of the series so far...

But Damien Lewis shaved his head in this... Karen Gillan shaved her head for a forthcoming part in a Marvel movie... are the gingers denying their Duracell roots just to get ahead?

I hope not, I love me a redhead...

[:D]

musht -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (21/10/2013 8:27:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

[image]http://i.imgur.com/Uf8akgM.gif[/image]

Can we at least agree that you're damning with faint praise?

Mister Coe -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (21/10/2013 10:19:42 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

[image]http://i.imgur.com/Uf8akgM.gif[/image]

Can we at least agree that you're damning with faint praise?

So, everyone hates the Dana heavy episodes yet when Brody reappears. we get a gif of bloody Chandler from Friends...?

[sm=happy07.gif]

Joking aside, I truly liked this episode, hope the next one is more to your taste...

musht -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (21/10/2013 10:29:26 PM)

They've made Brody so boring though. I wanted to see him clear his name not get addicted to heroin.

Bloody Chandler from Friends > Heroin Brody + slutty Dana

Mister Coe -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (21/10/2013 10:47:17 PM)

quote:

They've made Brody so boring though. I wanted to see him clear his name not get addicted to heroin.

Bloody Chandler from Friends > Heroin Brody + slutty Dana

Bloody Chandler from Friends > Heroin Brody > Heroin Jack Bauer, and he got over it... [sm=box2.gif]

primebhoy -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (22/10/2013 11:56:31 AM)

Thought the latest episode was good, but not great... which most episodes in season 2 were.

Liked that Brody and Carrie's situations kind of mirrored each other... Brody desperate to escape his 'prison', doing so then having to return and accepting that he had to stay and having nothing left to turn to but heroin... whilst Carrie was given an opportunity to leave, turned it down and asked for her own medication. Liked this aspect, plus more Brody, but i do think it suffered without the rest of the cast.

Still hoping it picks up pace!

great_badir -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (22/10/2013 12:24:46 PM)

It was a better episode, but yeah, as musht said - damning with faint praise.

Also, when exactly did Brody shave his head? I don't remember him being bald at the end of series 2, and I doubt he would've done it with a gut shot.

Am I just forgetting a head shaving scene? Was it to make him less obvious? Fail there, cos he's still got an obvious ginger face.

musht -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (22/10/2013 1:20:31 PM)

quote:

It was a better episode, but yeah, as musht said - damning with faint praise.

Also, when exactly did Brody shave his head? I don't remember him being bald at the end of series 2, and I doubt he would've done it with a gut shot.

Am I just forgetting a head shaving scene? Was it to make him less obvious? Fail there, cos he's still got an obvious ginger face.

I assumed we were picking up Brody's story from the same time we picked up the others, 2 months later?

Thinking on it I reckon Brody's heroin addiction will probably allow for some flashbacks into that period so we'll probably find out when/why he shaved his head and how he got shot ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

great_badir -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (22/10/2013 1:28:09 PM)

quote:

Thinking on it I reckon Brody's heroin addiction will probably allow for some flashbacks into that period so we'll probably find out when/why he shaved his head and how he got shot ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Pretty sure we saw him get shot at the end of series 2. Didn't we????

I'm sure I remember that.....

But as long as we have more episodes devoted to Dana and her long necked mom, I'm happy as being balls-deep and gas-tight in matty's and monstercat's mums.

musht -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (22/10/2013 1:32:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

Pretty sure we saw him get shot at the end of series 2. Didn't we????

I'm sure I remember that.....

But as long as we have more episodes devoted to Dana and her long necked mom, I'm happy as being balls-deep and gas-tight in matty's and monstercat's mums.

Was the last we saw of him not Carrie leaving him in the woods?

great_badir -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (22/10/2013 1:47:49 PM)

quote:

You're right, but I had to look that up on Wiki. So I guess that shows how effective the series hasn't been.

musht -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (22/10/2013 2:05:56 PM)

quote:

quote:

You're right, but I had to look that up on Wiki. So I guess that shows how effective the series hasn't been.

It really does

spark1 -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (22/10/2013 3:53:29 PM)

a bit more of brody on audio-

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/audio/2013/oct/22/homeland-audio-phantom-pain-damian-lewis

Cool Breeze -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (23/10/2013 3:39:20 PM)

Will be careful what i say bout episode 4 here as im watching on RTE, but ...wow.Saul is one crafty old bastard eh musht? [;)]

The Dana scenes as usual nearly sent me to sleep, i cant even remember what she was droning on about at that fence.And of course, they have succeeded in making her even more annoying considering what she does in this episode.

MOTH -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (23/10/2013 3:57:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Will be careful what i say bout episode 4 here as im watching on RTE, but ...wow.Saul is one crafty old bastard eh musht? [;)]

The Dana scenes as usual nearly sent me to sleep, i cant even remember what she was droning on about at that fence.And of course, they have succeeded in making her even more annoying considering what she does in this episode.

There's a fine line between crafty and utter bollocks, though..[:D]

Your Funny Uncle -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (23/10/2013 7:19:42 PM)

I think I'm going to give up on this. It's getting so so bad. I also spend the entire episode wanting to punch Claire Danes in her stupid startled labrador face......

Citizen Dildo -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (23/10/2013 8:42:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

quote:

Why don't you be so careful as to stop posting on the Channel 4 thread? Stick to the US one or maybe set up an RTE thread?

Anyway Episode 3 was well......shit. Just a dull episode which shows how utterly lost this has become. Had they just killed Brody as the plot demanded in season 2 we could have had an interesting show where Saul, Carrie, Quinn battled a new villain/plot and the Brody family (I actually like Dana) were consigned to history.

It might have been 24-lite but give me that over the depressing adventures of bald Brody and his creepy paedo pal. No wonder he's on smack.

indysgill -> RE: Homeland - Channel 4 speed (23/10/2013 8:45:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Citizen Dildo

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

quote:

Why don't you be so careful as to stop posting on the Channel 4 thread? Stick to the US one or maybe set up an RTE thread?

Anyway Episode 3 was well......shit. Just a dull episode which shows how utterly lost this has become. Had they just killed Brody as the plot demanded in season 2 we could have had an interesting show where Saul, Carrie, Quinn battled a new villain/plot and the Brody family (I actually like Dana) were consigned to history.

It might have been 24-lite but give me that over the depressing adventures of bald Brody and his creepy paedo pal. No wonder he's on smack.

Hear, hear.

Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI