RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (29/6/2013 6:53:30 PM)

This was featured in the latest Retro Gamer.

http://hyperkin.com/blog/2013/03/retron-5-details-revealed-from-the-midwest-gaming-classic/

Screw the next gen, I want a Retron 5!

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (2/7/2013 8:18:05 AM)

I was talking to the guys at Funstock.co.uk at NERG, they are the usual distributors for these things over here. They said they are hoping to have it for sale soon and we should be looking at a price tag of around 60.

Sign me up for that, means I cab put on in the front room for any retro related goodness and leave all the original consoles in my man cave.

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (2/7/2013 6:20:44 PM)

That's the appeal for me too. That and the game boy/famicom compatibility.

ChickMagnet -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (2/7/2013 10:46:00 PM)

Brought the megadrive games home, the 9th one was Lotus 2, I just need to get a console now [:)]

Chief -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (3/7/2013 8:32:33 AM)

That Retron5 looks the tits.

ChickMagnet -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (19/7/2013 10:35:35 PM)

So I've won a Megadrive on ebay - 24 for the console, 2 pads and Sonic, Road Rash, Golden Axe, NBA Jordan vs Bird & Fifa International Soccer that includes it being posted by courier - tres excited.

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (20/7/2013 8:50:06 AM)

Not bad at all. I've not really added much to my collection of late, unless it's something I've found for dirt cheap at a car boot.

I've found out there's a retro shop in Sutton Coldfield, which is rather close by, and I must have walked past about 50 times. Kicking myself!

I'll be checking that out come payday. Although I have a feeling their prices are no different to the robbing bastards you get on eBay.

ChickMagnet -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (20/7/2013 11:06:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

Not bad at all. I've not really added much to my collection of late, unless it's something I've found for dirt cheap at a car boot.

I've found out there's a retro shop in Sutton Coldfield, which is rather close by, and I must have walked past about 50 times. Kicking myself!

I'll be checking that out come payday. Although I have a feeling their prices are no different to the robbing bastards you get on eBay.

Well we're moving to Manchester in the next few weeks, and I found an amazing retro store in Afflecks Palace that has a lot of promo stuff from old games too, once we're settled in there I think I'll be spending a bit of cash

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (29/7/2013 6:43:32 PM)

Paid a visit to the above mentioned shop at the weekend. It was very small, but what it lacked in size it certainly made up for in stock. They had all sorts, even Japanese and US versions of different games on different formats. Could have spent ages in there, but settled on Flashback (MD) as I'm in the mood for it thanks to it being the main feature in this months Retro Gamer. Also picked up Jet Force Gemini (boxed w/instructions) as my N64 collection lies at a paltry 3 so far. I was tempted to pick up a few more but I'm pretty sure the wife would have tried her hand at castration were I to turn up at home with a bag full of 'nerd shit'.

I saw a couple of boxed Super Star Wars games for the SNES. Might grab one of those next time I visit. The prices for snes games were rather reasonable when you compare them to the jokers on eBay.

ChickMagnet -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (29/7/2013 10:04:21 PM)

quote:

Paid a visit to the above mentioned shop at the weekend. It was very small, but what it lacked in size it certainly made up for in stock. They had all sorts, even Japanese and US versions of different games on different formats. Could have spent ages in there, but settled on Flashback (MD) as I'm in the mood for it thanks to it being the main feature in this months Retro Gamer. Also picked up Jet Force Gemini (boxed w/instructions) as my N64 collection lies at a paltry 3 so far. I was tempted to pick up a few more but I'm pretty sure the wife would have tried her hand at castration were I to turn up at home with a bag full of 'nerd shit'.

I saw a couple of boxed Super Star Wars games for the SNES. Might grab one of those next time I visit. The prices for snes games were rather reasonable when you compare them to the jokers on eBay.

This is why I'm marrying a fellow nerd, but sadly even I get limits - Lainey has a certain look which basically says 'buy it and die'.

I need to get an adaptor for my MegaDrive from the guy on the market, but it seems to be in pretty sweet condition.

ChickMagnet -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (3/8/2013 5:48:05 PM)

The megadrive works!!! However I forgot that to get a decent game of streetie you need a 6 button pad, more expense!

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (24/8/2013 5:18:37 PM)

Today I got Super Return of the Jedi, Micro Machines 2 Turbo Tournament on Megadrive and Eternal Champions. I heard the latter sucks but I seem to remember enjoying it way back when.

In the week I picked up Crash Bandicoot 2, Tekken, Colony Wars Red Sun, Fade to Black and Toy Story 2, all on PS1.

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (25/8/2013 7:07:07 PM)

nice haul.

This week for me:

Outrun, Castle of Illusion, World Class Leaderboard, Great Golf, Global Defence, Wonderboy in Monsterland, Moonwalker, Forgotten Worlds all on Master System.

Generation Lost and Dragon on Megadrive

I got 2 PS1/Saturn light guns for some Time Crisis goodness.

Jak X, Jak 3, Ratchet & Clank 3, Sly 2 and Sly 3 for PS2.

Art of Fighting, Fatal Fury, Fatal Fury 2 on Neo Geo.

Sotto Voce -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (10/9/2013 4:33:33 PM)

Retro gaming question, everyone.

I want to display a PS2 and a Dreamcast on an LCD TV. As you'll all know, if you just use the AV plugs it looks pretty crappy.

So how do I get a good picture? Component cables, AV to HDMI converters, VGA converters?[8|]

I've found the V2V pro converter on amazon, but I still wonder if a simpler cable might do the job.

Any advice would be appreciated.[:)]

Dpp1978 -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (10/9/2013 5:32:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sotto Voce

Retro gaming question, everyone.

I want to display a PS2 and a Dreamcast on an LCD TV. As you'll all know, if you just use the AV plugs it looks pretty crappy.

So how do I get a good picture? Component cables, AV to HDMI converters, VGA converters?[8|]

I've found the V2V pro converter on amazon, but I still wonder if a simpler cable might do the job.

Any advice would be appreciated.[:)]

For PS2 use an RGB SCART lead or Component cables. RGB is marginally better in most cases as the signal is purer, but the difference will be negligible. A very small number of games were capable of outputting true 480p over component, which will have an advantage in these cases. Either will work fine.

Make sure you select the right output type from the PS2's menu. An RGB SCART lead or set of Component cables for the PS3 will work on a PS2 or an original Playstation as the output is the same across all 3.

For Dreamcast if you get a VGA adapter it will output a 640 x 480 VGA signal. That is the best output but some games are incompatible. Barring that an RGB SCART lead will get you most of the way there.

Bear in mind that these consoles were designed to be used on SD CRT TVs. CRTs are much more flexible with regards to refresh rate and image resolution than fixed pixel LCD screens. Any image will have to be scaled to your TV's native resolution, which will introduce image artefacts. Even with the best leads they will still not look as good as they did on a CRT.

Some games (especially in the 16 bit era) took advantage of how a CRT displays the image to achieve certain visual effects. These don't come out right on a LCD.

Some buy expensive image processors to scale the output. I don't know how the V2V adapter you mentioned compares to these. Others get an old CRT just to play old games.

I hope this helps.

The Janitor -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (13/9/2013 5:09:38 PM)

Apologies if this has already been mentioned but I purchased a Megadrive a few weeks ago but was quite disappointed to find a number of games I was most looking forward to playing did not work.

Some did worked so I thought it is unlikely to be the console. After a bit a research and it turns out the cartridges can get a build up of dirt on the connections.

This is easily removed with a pencil eraser. All games now work brilliantly always worth trying before throwing away a cartridge.

indysgill -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (15/9/2013 10:19:29 PM)

I got my Dreamcast out of the attic yesterday, along with the controller, VMUs, Keyboard, Fishing controller, Light Gun and Arcade Stick. Only thing missing was the AV cable [>:]
Now have to wait a week for Amazon to deliver a replacement.

The Janitor -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (18/9/2013 11:52:11 AM)

I have found with my Megadrive I only play the games I remember from my childhood.

Does anyone else do the same?

Is it worth hunting around for the gems I missed the first time?

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (27/9/2013 12:58:43 PM)

Some are def worth hunting down, some downt stand up as well, thats all part of the game.

I bought some Megdrive shooters this week: Space Harrier 2, Bio Hazard Attack, Gynoug, Mystic Defender. All decent games.

Also nabbed a few Snes carts too: Goof Troop (which I missed the first time round but is great fun, Ultraman, Battletoads, Plok!

Picked up a box of NES carts this morning I bought online, paid the fella 25 for 11 carts including postage, when it arrived it cost him over 9 quid to send it and he even chucked in another nes cart and 2 Dreamcast games - Score!!

Am rapidly running out of room in the Man Cave. I have another arcade cab on its way too!

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (28/9/2013 6:26:55 PM)

My friend bought me round a bag full of Dreamcast games. Pretty chuffed with that. Most of them are racers, but the include MSR and Tokyo Highway Challenge, which are great. There were also a couple of naughty discs in there too, including Shenmue. I look forward to finally playing that.

Picked up Strider on the MD and F Zero X on N64 today. Neither are boxed but I've been wanting them for a while so ain't fussed.

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (29/9/2013 6:14:51 PM)

Ugh. My Dreamcast keeps resetting itself. Not sure if it's over heating or owt. It's aggravating.

rich -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (29/9/2013 6:16:50 PM)

Old Dreamcast consoles tend to have that problem, it's pretty common

Dpp1978 -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (29/9/2013 7:11:30 PM)

quote:

Ugh. My Dreamcast keeps resetting itself. Not sure if it's over heating or owt. It's aggravating.

http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/dc-reset.htm

Assuming that is the cause of your problem it is an easy fix.

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (29/9/2013 8:08:02 PM)

Cheers, I'll see if that does the trick.

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (4/10/2013 8:53:06 AM)

picked a few N64 carts for a quid each yesterday: Command & Conquer, Goldeneye and Turok 2 at my local CEX.

Got Wolfchild, Rampart, SCI, Space Gun and Super Space Invaders on Master System from local retro store.

Got these 2600 games in the post off another forum, really pleased with these:

[image]https://scontent-a-mxp.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1374922_10151839010502182_906753726_n.jpg[/image]

and finally this arrived in post yesterday:

[image]https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/599752_10151842842562182_1380408370_n.jpg[/image]

Daftada -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (4/10/2013 10:23:29 AM)

Is there any more news on the Retron 5? I've got a spare spot under my living room tv that's just crying out for an all-in-one retro console solution :)

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (4/10/2013 1:24:16 PM)

its due for release soon i think, you can already preorder it.

In other news SNK pull the plug on Tommo/Blazes "Neo Geo X"

http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com/termination-of-the-license-agreement-between-tommo-inc-and-snk-playmore-usa-corp

Something must have pissed SNK off because thats a very definite slapdown.

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (4/10/2013 5:52:00 PM)

I've read in some reviews that the emulation was poor with some titles. I had a go on one at the weekend, and really enjoyed it. I was playing one of the king of fighters games. I want to get one but they're still a bit steep for my liking. Does it play the old cartridges or is that slot solely to plug the handheld in?

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (8/10/2013 11:29:33 AM)

The slot does nothing, the console flips open like a clamshell and the handheld docks inside.

It doesnt play the carts at all, I have bought a "magic" card off ebay though which adds another 50 games.

In new developments, Tommo are refusing to stop manufactering it!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/432851/neo-geo-x-maker-refuses-snks-demand-to-cease-production/

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (15/10/2013 12:45:03 PM)

Got myself a nice transparent pink memory card for my ps1 now, so my set up feels a lot better and I can actually play the games on it. Had a quick go on Driver the other day, couldn't even do the first stage. Damn reverse 180's.

Also picked up Risky Woods on the MD, which I've had my eye on for a while. Reminds me of Ghouls n Ghosts. Just as challenging, too.

I'm after this now https://www.imagineshop.co.uk/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/2611/s/the-mega-drive-snes-book/ . Gonna see if I can pick it up at the weekend from smiths or whatever.

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI