RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad

jinks -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (18/7/2014 1:30:02 PM)

Another Xbox Splurge today in CEX:

Need for Speed Underground 2
Tony Hawks Underground 2 (i can always mute Bam in it)
Rainbow 6 Lockdown
Star Trek Shattered Dimensions.

Also ordered from Amazon:

Dead or Alive Ultimate (DOA 1 and 2 redone on the original Xbox)
Dead of Alive Extreme Volleyball (the volleyballing is actually pretty good!)

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (24/7/2014 8:19:43 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

I'm looking at purchasing a reconditioned Amiga, and wondered if you can use the the emulator ROMS to re-create actual bootable disks?

Anyone have a clue?

I dug out and have been playing around with my old A1200 recently. I can't do much with it until I get an adapter so I can use a PC mouse but at least it still works.

As Sleazy said you can't make bootable Amiga disks easily on a PC. This is because the Amiga used double density floppy disks (rather than the standard high density ones used on PCs) and a proprietary file system.

The good news is that if you get an A600 or A1200 (I'm not sure about the other types) you can easily install an old laptop drive, or a even use a CompactFlash card as a hard drive by using a cheap ATA adapter. Better still you can format and configure the drive using WinUAE on your PC so it boots to Workbench, install all the games you can get your hands on to it, and have it work when you put it in your Amiga. There are loads of tutorials on how to do this out there if you Google it. I'm going to try and get mine running over the weekend if the bits I ordered arrive.

There are sites where pretty much the whole Amiga library is available for download, if you are into that sort of thing.

Much better than I could have put it!

One issue I've noticed running off HDD though is is munches your RAM, I have 2MB but workbench/HDD drivers or whatever use 1/2MB straight away. This is then compounded by that when you load a game from HDD it will load all the disks needed so if its more than 2 disks you run out of memory, often even if its only 2 disks.

This can be solved by getting a SRAM card and installing that in the side port but I havent found one at a reasonable price yet.

Dpp1978 -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (24/7/2014 12:10:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

Much better than I could have put it!

One issue I've noticed running off HDD though is is munches your RAM, I have 2MB but workbench/HDD drivers or whatever use 1/2MB straight away. This is then compounded by that when you load a game from HDD it will load all the disks needed so if its more than 2 disks you run out of memory, often even if its only 2 disks.

This can be solved by getting a SRAM card and installing that in the side port but I havent found one at a reasonable price yet.

I got my A1200 running off an old laptop drive. It took a couple of hours to configure it to boot to Workbench through WinUAE, most of which was spent looking for a decent tutorial. The one I used is here. Once put in the Amiga it booted straight away.

I've installed a couple of games from old floppies and they seem to work well. They were Lucasarts adventure games and had install scripts which made the process easy once I worked out the correct syntax to choose where to install to. A few of the old floppies have become corrupt over the years so I will have to use WinUAE and disk images to install those games, but that is not a big deal. I might try playing with WHDLoad at some point but for now I'm happy.

I don't know about your memory issue as I've not spent much time looking at the intricacies of how the system works. I know you can get accelerator boards for the A1200 which boost the CPU as well as give additional memory but they cost more than I'm willing to pay.

Most of the games I want to play are old adventure games available on the PC via Dosbox or ScummVM and the rest are simple one disk affairs. It was more out of curiosity that I did this than anything else, although it was very nostalgic hearing the sound of the Amiga floppy drive chugging away. I was also surprised how different the Monkey Island music was to the PC version I've become accustomed to.

I dug out my old NES, SNES and N64 games after seeing how crazy the prices have become and will get around to playing them again at some point. I also found some PS1 and Dreamcast games I forgot I still had.

I just need to get a decent little CRT TV to play them on as they look like arse on my HDTV.

From_Hell -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (3/8/2014 5:17:08 PM)

Great article here on the making of Robocod....

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-04-the-making-of-robocod

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (25/8/2014 3:29:02 PM)

After having a lovely Star Wars re watch again recently, I decided to get a couple of the Dreamcast games. Ended up with Jedi Power Battles, and Pod Racer. I remember enjoying the former on the PS1, way back when. Fuck, it's like a dog chewed them and then sicked up on them. Pod Racer don't look too bad I guess, but the controls... How did we put up with that shit back then?

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (26/8/2014 9:52:01 AM)

I enjoyed Star Wars Racer on N64, still plays well.

Is the DC one the same? I also played Racer Revenge on PS2 which is also decent.

I bought a load of Master System games this week, was impressed with the SMS version of Robocod. Also been playing Master of Darkness. Its an unashamed Castlevania ripoff but a good one.

jinks -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (1/9/2014 2:56:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

After having a lovely Star Wars re watch again recently, I decided to get a couple of the Dreamcast games. Ended up with Jedi Power Battles, and Pod Racer. I remember enjoying the former on the PS1, way back when. Fuck, it's like a dog chewed them and then sicked up on them. Pod Racer don't look too bad I guess, but the controls... How did we put up with that shit back then?

I got Jedi Power Battles in a Hospice Shop on a trip back to the UK recently for 50pence! Its ridiculously difficult in places and enemies get in cheap hits when your Jedi is the middle of his saber animations and theres nothing you can do to block.

But hey, its Star Wars right...right?! [&:] (its still better than the horrible Phantom Menace tie in though!)

Also bought Star Wars Republic Commando for the Xbox a few weeks back too. Still pretty good to this day, pity there was no sequel that expanded upon its Rainbow Six lite gameplay as id have definitely liked to have seen further games with the commandos in them.

jinks -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (9/9/2014 1:09:43 PM)

Finally managed to get a copy of Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker for the Gamecube for a decent price this morning from local CEX - 15 which im rather chuffed to bits with. No bonus disc though, as it was the 'players choice' label - but ive got Ocarina of Time downloaded anyways from the Nintendo store.[:)]

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (10/9/2014 7:36:55 AM)

You got a sought after title for a reasonable price from CEX? Was it smeared with faeces or something?

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (10/9/2014 10:27:18 AM)

in the run up to halloween I've started playing through some classic horror games.

Been playing Resident Evil 2 this week on Gamecube, really enjoying it too.

Probably do Eternal Darkness next although I have never played a Silent Hill?

jinks -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (10/9/2014 11:35:10 AM)

quote:

Although I have never played a Silent Hill?

Never played one?! Oh dear lord, sir - you must rectify that ASAP. You're best off playing the first 3 and Homecoming - SH1 is on the PSN store for about a fiver i think and 2-3 are in the Silent Hill HD Collection (SH2 is based on the Restless Dreams/Directors Cut and has the Maria story) - SH4: The Room was an oddity really, but pretty creepy in parts. Origins was ok - just dont get me started on a particular level...Arrrggghhhhh!!!! [:@]

Silent Hill Homecoming i REALLY enjoyed as it references both the games AND the films and its my favourite since the brilliant SH2 (the transition to the other-world happens as it does in the films in real time, plus it has all the staples of the SH franchise too - nurses, pyramid head, hospitals etc).

SH Downpour, to me, didnt feel like a Silent Hill game at all, but it had an interesting central character though.

There's also the Remake/Reimagining of SH1 Shattered Memories on Wii, PS2 and PSP - which is worth a look (just dont expect ANY sort of combat).

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (10/9/2014 11:45:46 AM)

I have a few, I have the first on PS1 disc and as a download off PSN. I have 2 & 3 that I picked up for a quid each on PS2, I also have Silent Hill Origins on PSP.

All I have done is had a quick 10 min look at the first one. Should I start at the beginning or does it not matter?

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (10/9/2014 12:36:40 PM)

Start with the first one. It's superb, and will help make the superior 2nd game make a tad more sense. The first 2 are absolute classics. Really mess with your head!

jinks -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (10/9/2014 1:51:33 PM)

quote:

I have a few, I have the first on PS1 disc and as a download off PSN. I have 2 & 3 that I picked up for a quid each on PS2, I also have Silent Hill Origins on PSP.

All I have done is had a quick 10 min look at the first one. Should I start at the beginning or does it not matter?

Definitely play SH1 before playing SH3 as they're both linked.

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (10/9/2014 2:43:08 PM)

will do, gonna finish Resi 2 first then start on Silent Hill 1. Quite looking forward to it now.

We should all try n do a horror game and report back here how we found it/how it has held up?

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (11/9/2014 12:37:18 AM)

Sounds like a plan. I'll have have a rummage and see what I've got. See if I've owt that isn't Resident Evil flavoured!

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (11/9/2014 8:52:05 AM)

BTW, the Resi trilogy and the First Silent Hill are all reduced on PSN at the mo

jinks -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (11/9/2014 4:14:22 PM)

quote:

will do, gonna finish Resi 2 first then start on Silent Hill 1. Quite looking forward to it now.

We should all try n do a horror game and report back here how we found it/how it has held up?

Yeah man, im up for that. Have got all the main resi series (bar the original PS1 version, but do have REmake on the Wii and i dont have the Gun survivor series nor dead aim.), SH1 and Homecoming, Alone in the Dark Inferno.
I'll be quite happy to play either Dino Crisis 1 and 2 again on the PS1 or Project Zero 2?

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (11/9/2014 6:54:35 PM)

I've got Resi Survivor. It's fucking shite. I'm one that always gives the Resi games the benefit of the doubt, but that game is arse!

I think I might do Blue Stinger or Carrier. Probably the latter as I seem to recall getting stuck with Blue Stinger!

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (12/9/2014 9:05:00 AM)

Sounds good. Any of those games would work great, would love to hear how well you think Dino Crisis and Blue Stinger have aged as I loved both of those.

jinks -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (22/9/2014 2:00:24 PM)

Well, i started Dino Crisis last night. Bar the lack of analog movement and mouths that talk but dont move (gotta love the old days of video game conversation - static faces and lots of waving arms) its actually still pretty decent. Swapping out the static backgrounds of Resi for 3D polygonal scrolling (although still fixed at angles) it still looks alright - once you switch on the PS3s 'smoothing' effect otherwise it looks like someone's laid a mesh net over it.
So i'll do a few pro's and cons anyways, rather than write a massive schpiel of stuff.
PROS
. Graphically still decent looking, opening cutscene pretty decent to this day.
. 3D scrolling backgrounds.
. Voice acting for Regina is definitely above par compared to Resi and the dinosaurs themselves generally sound good a'la Jurassic Park.
. Dinosaurs and T-rex!!
. Enemy AI that will follow you room to room and jump over fences.
CONS
. Despite the decent lead voice acting, script is pretty terrible.
. Big men with girly names.
. It's not scary and does lack a bit tension.
. Iffy camera angles can lead to be unfairly attacked by dinosaurs as you cant see them.
. Lack of analog movement.

So really to conclude, Dino Crisis is still good, plays fine despite the camera angles; yet is a game that wowed yesterday but today is a bit clunky.  It's DEFINITELY a series that id love to see Capcom returning to and update for the next/current gen market (we just wont talk about DC3!)

Next up...Dino Crisis 2!

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (25/9/2014 3:41:35 PM)

Excellent round up Jinks, I think Ill copy your format.

Resident Evil 2:
This was the Gamecube version of the game but from what I understand and from what I saw its identical to the PS1.
Visually it stood up a lot better than I expected, sure its got that PS1 look to it but even on a 47" LED screen it looked fine really. Its a long time since I played a traditional survival horror with the slow pace, item management and big scares a mile away from "Gears of Resi"
PROS
. Graphically looks better than you expect, a big jump from the original Resi 1.
. Iconic music and sounds, the sound of a nearby licker still has you paranoid and the feeling of relief when the door you stagger to opens and the safe room music starts.
. 2 nicely sized adventures which are actually different
. the bit with the crocodile!
: nice n cheap on PSN
CONS
. the controls will be a problem to some, to me it feels Resi but you do curse them on occasion
. Static backgrounds look nice but switching camera can get confusing and often you cant see what you are shooting
. The script and acting is obviously bollocks
. Its quite linear
.not so cheap if you fancy the Gamecube version (really theres no need).

In conclusion, its rightly regarded as a classic of the genre, a few minor gripes aside its a fun if slightly easy romp, tons of nostalgia here of course but a decent game too.

Next up...

Was going to be Silent Hill but....... I tried playing it, both from the PSN download and an original disk via PS2 component leads and it just looks terrible on my HD screen, the fogging effect it is famous for doesnt work right and just looks weird. I put it on the CRT in my game room and it looks fine, I want something I can play from the comfor of my couch though so this one is out. Might jump straight to Silent Hill 2 or perhaps Resi Evil 3: Nemesis?

In other retro news

Charity shop in town had a big tub of PS2 games 3 for 1.

No sports at all, picked up a few decent titles like Jak & Daxter, Klonoa 2, Metal Slug 3 and a few more. Also nabbed some Gamecube games at the Cash Converters next door for a quid each.

Was bloody annoyed though as a Polish reseller couple had almost cleared the shelves of cheap games, I wouldnt mind (much) but I stood behind them in the queue whilst they closely inspected each disk for about 50 games!!

jinks -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (25/9/2014 6:51:17 PM)

Nice take on Resi 2 Sleazy! [:)] Definitely summed it up well there, seems that the camera angles in these kinda games do somewhat hinder the character's survival. But hey, it's all part of the charm i guess! Next up, i'd personally go for Resi 3, keeping with the trend, but its up to you dude.

I'll get on Dino Crisis 2 tonight if i can and write up the P's and C's tomorrow.

Good haul on the PS2 games there mate, what GC ones did you get? Picked up Tenchu: Return From Darkness for the Xbox the other day (my PS2 Wrath of Heaven is a little iffy on the Rikimaru levels) its good, but i do miss not being able to pan the camera up and down though with the right stick.

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (25/9/2014 9:15:32 PM)

Cheers mate.
On way home today I managed to pick up Dino Crisis 2 which I've only briefly played before.

Cube games were:

Pikmin
Taz Wanted
The Sims
Gameboy player disc
Ridge Racer

The ps2 games were:
Klonoa 2
Cocoto platform jumper
Everblue
Worms 3d
kao the kangaroo 2
Genji
Donald Duck pk
Spy vs spy
Syphon filter omega strain
Metal slug 3
Battlefield 2
Jak n daxter
Donald Duck going quackers
Tmnt
Asterix xxl 2

rich -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (25/9/2014 9:54:46 PM)

RE2 on the Gamecube holds up better thanks to improved resolution and better texture filtering than it's original form. B-movie nonsense but still a fave. Silent Hill 2 on the other hand is still a real horror game, take it for a spin (it's not a sequel to the first one, that would be SH3).

jinks -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (26/9/2014 7:28:16 PM)

And here we go with Dino Crisis 2!

PROS
Faster and slicker gameplay eschewing Survival Horror for run and gun action.
. Graphics look lovely for a PS1 game with well animated dinosaurs and nice looking pre rendered areas.
. Tonnes more action than the original DC, which in places was a little pedestrian.
. Much better variety of dinos from allosaurus's, raptors, pterodactyls to mosasaurus and plesiosaurs and fan favourite the Tyranosaur!
. More locations from jungles, to labs and an excellent section in a aquatic centre.
. The combo system introducing a risk/reward system - do you stay and blast more dinos and earn more points - but putting yourself at risk from attacks (get hit and your combo meter drops to 0)? Or just blast through to the area exit?
. Both playable characters have access to different areas of the island.*

CONS
Enemies respawn off-screen when the camera angle changes, despite you clearing the area and can lead to some very cheap enemy attacks.
. Map is practially useless and VERY easy to get lost with objectives not being very clear.
. Despite the superb graphics, cutscenes employ a very VERY annoying blur effect when the characters move or roll.
. Script and story are pretty weak and forgetable.
. *Although there's the two different characters they basically play exactly the same.

A much MUCH better game than Dino Crisis 1, DC2 swaps out the 3D polygonal backgrounds for lovely looking pre rendered backdrops in a more Jurassic Park'esque location.
Its also easy to see how the 'newer' Resi series (from RE4) borrows ideas from DC2, for example always having your melee weapon assigned to a button, focussing more on action than horror (which to me suits the Dino Crisis series but not really the Resi series) and the
the combo system (which im sure was used in the Mercenaries modes).

Dino Crisis is definitely a series crying out for a new game or even a reboot - much like the equally excellent Onimusha series and its a pity that Capcom ruined the excellent work of the first two DC with the terrible and misjudged space set (all in name) Dino Crisis 3.

Next mini review....TO BE DECIDED (dun dun dunnnnnn!!)

juanvasquez -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (28/9/2014 7:33:47 PM)

I've made a start on Blue Stinger, but haven't had a lot of time to really play it properly.

It's a Dreamcast game through and through, from the ropey but rounded graphics, the wonderful dialogue and that arcadey feel you seem to get with the games. The controls are a bit iffy, and any tension is dampened by the poor timing of cut scenes and voice acting. Yet it's still compelling. It's a Resi clone, but it's in a proper 3rd person view rather than the fixed angles.

I'll crack on a bit more, but it's the game equivalent of a Syfy movie of the week!

jinks -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (30/9/2014 10:20:54 AM)

Ok dudes, here's the shortlist of the next PS1 games, choose which one you'd like and i'll put up the review within the next few days:

Grand Theft Auto (the original)
GTA London
Bust-A-Groove (Dance em up!)
Alien Resurrection (in honour of Alien Isolation's release next week)

Sleazy -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (6/10/2014 2:05:46 PM)

Dude do Alien Ressurection, I quite liked that.

Anyway Resident Evil 3:

Quite a surprising step up in graphics from Resi 2, the game seems even more linear than 2 but I dont think thats too bad a thing, I dont like to keep criss crossing locations. A lot of the same pros and cons count here too

PROS
. Graphically looks even better,
. It still has that classic Resi feel,
. Controls are a bit slicker, the quick turn is welcome
. "SSSSTTTTAAAAARRRRSSSS"
: nice n cheap on PSN
CONS
. the controls will be a problem to some again, if you hate tank controls then you wont like this.
. Static backgrounds look nice but switching camera can get confusing and often you cant see what you are shooting - same as Resi 2
. The script and acting is obviously bollocks - same as Resi 2
. Its very linear
.not so cheap if you fancy the Gamecube version (really theres no need). - same a Resi 2

jinks -> RE: Lets play RETRO!!! (7/10/2014 12:24:57 PM)

Alien Resurrection PS1

Pros
. Moves very smoothly with no slow down and for a PS1 looks rather nice.
. The FATHER computer sounds very cool, using the same voiceover as the film.
. Decent mixture of guns.
. Becomes a tense race against time, once impregnated by a face hugger to find a portable medi doc - or game over!
. Underwater levels are pretty good.
. Atmospheric in places, nice build up to the Aliens.

CONS
. Boring gameplay
. Graphics are a mixture of brown and yellowy brown making switches incredibly hard to see.
. Aliens are more an annoyance than a menace (who seem to appear out of thin air) and face huggers are very difficult to kill (this could be down to the look spring).
. Horrible and i mean HORRIBLE look spring, you cant look up and down without it pinging back to the default look ahead a second later (theres no option to turn this off)
. Disorientating, empty levels and no map.
. Weapon magazines do tend to run dry very very quickly.
. The worst torch ever featured in a game, it'll run out within about 10 seconds and you have to wait till it recharges. It wouldnt be so bad, but the levels themselves are quite dark in places (not to mention brown)
. Final boss, the Newborn, is a let down.

In space, no one can hear you scream. In my living room yesterday evening, it was mostly sighing and yawning - Alien Resurrection has NOT aged well at all. What was, at the time, a decent film conversion, by today's standards is not a good game at all - mainly due to the look spring and the boring gameplay. You do get to play as the other characters in the film in certain levels, but to be honest theres zero difference. You may as well be playing Johnny Generic Space Marine as the only indiction as to who you're playing is by their name on the loading screen. I was looking forward to creeping around the USS Auriga again as i enjoyed the game originally back  in 2000 (the game originally started out as a survival horror game to be released around the time of the film's release in 1997), but came away massively disappointed. [&o]

Page: <<   < prev  9 10 11 [12] 13   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI