It's here.... favourite ever scenes (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings

JIm R -> It's here.... favourite ever scenes (17/2/2012 8:48:57 PM)

Hi all,

Major discussion ahead I reckon, but time to discuss your favourite 'individual' scene from a film, any film, any era, just your fave(s).

They can be from any film, so even if you don't like the film as a whole, it may contain a gem piece of dialogue, a beautifully shot sequence etc.

Over to you guys.....

Rebel scum -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (17/2/2012 8:53:24 PM)

I have waay too many to be able to post one definitive favourite, to the extent I was contemplating a "favourite scenes" list.

But off the top of my head:

-The Rutwang-Troll Hunter
-The Pale Man-Pan's Labyrinth
-The Bridge of Khazad-Dum-LOTR
-The Revelation-The Vanishing
THAT death scene-Deep Blue Sea

mclane1 -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (17/2/2012 9:26:11 PM)

The evil mods will no doubt stop this post within moments

Until then I will throw in some less obvious ones,

Jew hunter and farmer opening inglorious bastards
Blood test, the thing
Internal affairs interrogation , Jennifer 8
Hooper brody chat over glass of red, jaws. And of course any other jaws scene
Vanishing pencil, tdk
Elias Korteas beginning of fallen
And recently ....exchange between Colin Farrell and Anton yeltchin at kitchen door, fright night.

Plus hundreds. More

adambatman82 -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (17/2/2012 10:52:52 PM)

My favourite scene of the '90's is probably the one in which Mills takes Somerset home for dinner. Mills slinks off to play with his dogs.

[image]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcZgIExy55kuSbwbzzih9Jyy9fBV1UFElzt2vkQi1IJo2Pc7Pjkg[/image]

mclane1 -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (18/2/2012 6:12:49 AM)

yes , or when mills and sommerset are talking to doe in the police car on the way to the meeting point.

Its a bit obscure but ive always loved the scene in the original omen where warner and peck are talking at the roadside snack van about revelations and all that. followed by the equally watchable scene where peck is laid on the bed reciting the poem.

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (18/2/2012 6:23:40 AM)

I wrote the following a while back concerning my favourite ever scene....

The entire sequence from entering Dwarrowdelf until leaving Moria is one of heart-pounding tension and eye-popping joy, and coming as it does at the top spot of moments from my favourite film, it manages to become my favourite film sequence from all time in the process.

There's so much to love about it I could never even begin to do the scene justice but I'll natter on anyhow.

Continuing their journey after Gandalf's momentary lapse of direction, the Fellowship enter the city of Dwarrowdelf. Vast, cavernous, seemingly stretching to infinity, it as, as Sam says, an eye-opener. Aware of its impressiveness, Gandalf almost teases his comrades prior to providing extra illumination, the music for Dwarrowdelf solemn yet proud, almost mourning this fallen city. The angular, geometric, monolithic nature of the massive pillars reflect the nature of the dwarves and their mithril-mining activities, perhaps even their arrogance as well. But ruins abound also, so perhaps all is not well.

Moving into Balin's tomb, and Gimli offers up a quiet prayer fir his fallen cousin as Gandalf translates first the runes from the tomb of Balin and then the book.

"They have taken the bridge…and the second hall. We have barred the gates…but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums...drums…in the deep. We cannot get out. A shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming"

It's an ominous voice from the past, echoing the fall of a realm yet hinting at what's about to come, and is perfectly delivered by a sombre McKellen. And then Pippin goes and wrecks the mood. From within the depths of Moria, clangs, booms and screeches resound, breaking the silence, and Fellowship's central set-piece kicks off in earnest. Music cuts and the sound of battle takes over. It's quite a brutal affair, all the Fellowship members afforded the opportunity to spill blood and the stakes are obviously high.

And then the cave troll lumbers in. The troll is one of the weaker effects from the trilogy, but it's not to the detriment of the scene and he does come bearing his own personality. As an aside, if you ever play the game for The Two Towers, which includes elements from the first film, defeating the cave troll is one of the most bastard hard things you'll ever do, flailing his chain about like a whip, Git. Anyways, the cave troll is defeated, and Frodo's saved by his Mithril vest. All, is good, no?

"To the Bridge of Khazad-dûm!" With this, the Fellowship bursts forth from Balin's tomb, and the off-kilter orc music is overpowered by The Fellowship theme in its most heroic statement. The scuttling orcs attack from every angle but the Fellowship is saved, not by their own doing, but from a low, not quite distant growl, and orange an glow. Even Legolas looks scared. It's our first hint of what to expect, bar the brief glimpse that Saruman provides in the extended cut. The choir starts chantingand then never stops for the next five minutes. It's the most vocal heavy area of all 11 hours of music, the dwarvish cultures music heavily dependant on voices; an all-male Maori-Samoan choir and the fabled rugby "grunters". I believe Peter Jackson wanted them to sound like voices from hell, and coupled with the fiery imagery on display, I think the whole thing does a fairly excellent job at showing us Hell on Middle-Earth.

The collapsing stairwell, just one more obstacle to overcome, provides both tension and spectacle and a few laughs as well, a perfect example of how the conceptual artwork proved invaluable within the films. A sequence that came about simply because Alan Lee draw the stairwell with a portion missing, it was expanded upon to become its own little set-piece. It looks suitably epic, I love the huge chunk of masonry falling into the fiery caverns below, and provides us with a last burst of the Fellowship theme. Cinema's greatest piece of music will never be heard in so grand a form again.

The Balrog is bloody magnificent. It really is. The heat haze, the soot, the crackling under the skin like lava, the flames, the smoke when he unfurls his wings, the flaming whip and sword. You can practically feel the heat, especially that moment when he roars at Gandalf. The scenery as we travel further from Dwarrowdelf reflect this too, there's a volcanic feel to the stairwell chamber. This monster is a terrifying spectacle and one of the most fantastically realised beasts I've ever seen.

And then the Bridge of Khazad-dum. "You shall not pass". Just thinking about it sends shivers up my spine. In fact, alongside the music and McKellen's performance in general, it was this particular moment that became one thing I truly adored about the film in my first viewing of it at the cinema. Next time I saw this moment, I knew I was watching my favourite film. It's magnificence in film form. I've heard a few people complain that the wording has been changed from the book's "You cannot pass". I like the change, "cannot" implies that the Balrog is a fool simply incapable of crossing a bridge, "shall not" is Gandalf actively defying him, as it should be.

Then Gandalf , after apparent victory, falls to his death. I had never expected Gandalf to die, and watching it in the cinema I was almost in tears (these days I am in tears, of course). It's the reactions once the Fellowship leave Moria that really sell it, stunned disbelief and sorrow, complimented by the heartbreaking music.

Sorry it was so long [:D]

My second favourite would be this

[image]http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h136/gimli_the_dwarf/avs/Other/WOW6.gif[/image]

horribleives -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (18/2/2012 6:40:02 AM)

Although on paper it probably sounded like the worst idea in the history of cinema, the Wise Up sequence in Magnolia remains one of the most astonishing scenes ever.

Whistler -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (18/2/2012 11:51:00 AM)

I could never choose one firm favourite, so here are a few off the top of my head:

The desert truck chase in Raiders.

The Bridge of Khazad Dum.

Mexican standoff in Reservoir Dogs.

Mexican standoff in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

The train slumber party in Some Like It Hot.

Michael closing the door on Kay at the end of The Godfather. Such a small gesture, but it says so much.

In I Am Legend - even though it's a pretty crap film - the scene where Neville has to put down Sam is heartbreakingly good.

The final scene in Melancholia. Beautiful and terrifying.

The family dancing in Little Miss Sunshine.

And of course, this:

[image]http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff446/EdGardiner/Marty2BMcFly2BJohnny2BB2BGood.jpg[/image]

I'll be back... (that's both a favourite scene and a fact [;)])

UTB -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (18/2/2012 12:17:44 PM)

Without a doubt, its the ending of Lawn Dogs. The combination of music and imagery is so spectacular it gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

It's HERE on youtube (worth 3 minutes of your time). Won't mean much without seeing the rest of the film, but it is really really beautiful cinema.

Spaldron -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (18/2/2012 1:09:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I wrote the following a while back concerning my favourite ever scene....

The entire sequence from entering Dwarrowdelf until leaving Moria is one of heart-pounding tension and eye-popping joy, and coming as it does at the top spot of moments from my favourite film, it manages to become my favourite film sequence from all time in the process.

There's so much to love about it I could never even begin to do the scene justice but I'll natter on anyhow.

Continuing their journey after Gandalf's momentary lapse of direction, the Fellowship enter the city of Dwarrowdelf. Vast, cavernous, seemingly stretching to infinity, it as, as Sam says, an eye-opener. Aware of its impressiveness, Gandalf almost teases his comrades prior to providing extra illumination, the music for Dwarrowdelf solemn yet proud, almost mourning this fallen city. The angular, geometric, monolithic nature of the massive pillars reflect the nature of the dwarves and their mithril-mining activities, perhaps even their arrogance as well. But ruins abound also, so perhaps all is not well.

Moving into Balin's tomb, and Gimli offers up a quiet prayer fir his fallen cousin as Gandalf translates first the runes from the tomb of Balin and then the book.

"They have taken the bridge…and the second hall. We have barred the gates…but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums...drums…in the deep. We cannot get out. A shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming"

It's an ominous voice from the past, echoing the fall of a realm yet hinting at what's about to come, and is perfectly delivered by a sombre McKellen. And then Pippin goes and wrecks the mood. From within the depths of Moria, clangs, booms and screeches resound, breaking the silence, and Fellowship's central set-piece kicks off in earnest. Music cuts and the sound of battle takes over. It's quite a brutal affair, all the Fellowship members afforded the opportunity to spill blood and the stakes are obviously high.

And then the cave troll lumbers in. The troll is one of the weaker effects from the trilogy, but it's not to the detriment of the scene and he does come bearing his own personality. As an aside, if you ever play the game for The Two Towers, which includes elements from the first film, defeating the cave troll is one of the most bastard hard things you'll ever do, flailing his chain about like a whip, Git. Anyways, the cave troll is defeated, and Frodo's saved by his Mithril vest. All, is good, no?

"To the Bridge of Khazad-dûm!" With this, the Fellowship bursts forth from Balin's tomb, and the off-kilter orc music is overpowered by The Fellowship theme in its most heroic statement. The scuttling orcs attack from every angle but the Fellowship is saved, not by their own doing, but from a low, not quite distant growl, and orange an glow. Even Legolas looks scared. It's our first hint of what to expect, bar the brief glimpse that Saruman provides in the extended cut. The choir starts chantingand then never stops for the next five minutes. It's the most vocal heavy area of all 11 hours of music, the dwarvish cultures music heavily dependant on voices; an all-male Maori-Samoan choir and the fabled rugby "grunters". I believe Peter Jackson wanted them to sound like voices from hell, and coupled with the fiery imagery on display, I think the whole thing does a fairly excellent job at showing us Hell on Middle-Earth.

The collapsing stairwell, just one more obstacle to overcome, provides both tension and spectacle and a few laughs as well, a perfect example of how the conceptual artwork proved invaluable within the films. A sequence that came about simply because Alan Lee draw the stairwell with a portion missing, it was expanded upon to become its own little set-piece. It looks suitably epic, I love the huge chunk of masonry falling into the fiery caverns below, and provides us with a last burst of the Fellowship theme. Cinema's greatest piece of music will never be heard in so grand a form again.

The Balrog is bloody magnificent. It really is. The heat haze, the soot, the crackling under the skin like lava, the flames, the smoke when he unfurls his wings, the flaming whip and sword. You can practically feel the heat, especially that moment when he roars at Gandalf. The scenery as we travel further from Dwarrowdelf reflect this too, there's a volcanic feel to the stairwell chamber. This monster is a terrifying spectacle and one of the most fantastically realised beasts I've ever seen.

And then the Bridge of Khazad-dum. "You shall not pass". Just thinking about it sends shivers up my spine. In fact, alongside the music and McKellen's performance in general, it was this particular moment that became one thing I truly adored about the film in my first viewing of it at the cinema. Next time I saw this moment, I knew I was watching my favourite film. It's magnificence in film form. I've heard a few people complain that the wording has been changed from the book's "You cannot pass". I like the change, "cannot" implies that the Balrog is a fool simply incapable of crossing a bridge, "shall not" is Gandalf actively defying him, as it should be.

Then Gandalf , after apparent victory, falls to his death. I had never expected Gandalf to die, and watching it in the cinema I was almost in tears (these days I am in tears, of course). It's the reactions once the Fellowship leave Moria that really sell it, stunned disbelief and sorrow, complimented by the heartbreaking music.

Sorry it was so long [:D]

Agree with everything about this ^ [sm=worship.gif]

[image]http://api.ning.com/files/5vvUTby7jhbHMD9AC1u1adlZCGG2De3YpKQ5yvzlf18KHiE7CakeokNtQn6XAQkst5m7qeXSv35i2nKDkrZr*IjqwQy0V4XG/clapping.gif[/image]

mclane1 -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (18/2/2012 9:56:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Without a doubt, its the ending of Lawn Dogs. The combination of music and imagery is so spectacular it gives me goosebumps every time I watch it.

It's HERE on youtube (worth 3 minutes of your time). Won't mean much without seeing the rest of the film, but it is really really beautiful cinema.

ha ha , could you have thought of a more obscure film, all those millions of scenes to choose from where people might have said yeah, cool scene... and you pick a film 4 people know about. whats that all about?

From_Hell -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (18/2/2012 10:23:08 PM)

A few of my faves:

- The shoot-out at Top Dollar's nightclub in The Crow

- The truck chase towards the end of Raiders of The Lost Ark

- "We're here to fuck shit up" - Step Brothers

- Whacking a zombie with a banjo - Zombieland

- Kong fighting dinosaurs in Peter Jackson's remake of King Kong

- Blackout's attack on the military base at the start of Transformers

DancingClown -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (18/2/2012 10:27:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

quote:

ha ha , could you have thought of a more obscure film, all those millions of scenes to choose from where people might have said yeah, cool scene... and you pick a film 4 people know about. whats that all about?

So we're only allowed to pick scenes from films that loads of other people have seen? What would be the point of that? Favourite means personal favourite, whether the choice is popular or obscure is irrelevant. Why are you being a dick?

MonsterCat -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (18/2/2012 10:58:41 PM)

[image]http://www.ascully.com/images/bluray/theexorcist/2.jpg[/image]

I replaced my Kristen Wiig wallpaper with this shot from The Exorcist. That's how much I love this scene.

Boy, I hope mclane1 approves of my choice. I need validation goddamnit!

UTB -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (18/2/2012 11:44:30 PM)

quote:

quote:

The essay on the Lord Of The Rings scene is just as obscure to someone like me who doesn't give a shit about hobbits, so what's the difference?

I posted a link to it for those who are unfamiliar with it - did you watch it?

horribleives -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 12:19:59 AM)

quote:

quote:

Well first of all: so what if someone picks something obscure?
Secondly: the film they picked is hardly obscure - I'd wager most posters on here have, if not seen it, at least heard of it, and not just the Arty Farty Elite or whatever it is you call them.

Whistler -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 2:06:43 AM)

quote:

quote:

You know what, I like it - nay, love it - when people mention "obscure" films that I haven't seen or heard of before, because it often leads me to excellent films that I otherwise wouldn't have sought out. That's one of the main reasons I come on these forums...

Hood_Man -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 2:20:16 AM)

Good Will Hunting, "Your move Chief."

http://youtu.be/ws66aAdthE0

DancingClown -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 8:03:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I was going to suggest that one myself. Brilliantly written scene, brilliantly under-played by Mr Williams.

scarface666brooksy!! -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 8:34:22 AM)

Incredibly hard to narrow it down but a few come to mind (plus I'll probably add some knowing me)

Jack Rabbit Slims- Pulp Fiction
"Layla" sequence- Goodfellas
The basement scene in Zodiac
The scene in Garden State when Andrew takes the ecstasy"?"
The ending of Fight Club

and still my favourite motivational scene is when Terry struggles his way back into the docks after getting the holy living shit beaten out of him in On The Waterfront

DancingClown -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 8:55:39 AM)

I could spend weeks in this thread. Here are a few of mine:

From Burton's Batman (1989) - the scene where Napier begins his transformation into The Joker. Chilled me when I was a boy and still does:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiAonyJIV_A

From The Exorcist (Theatrical Cut) - Father Karras' haunted, grief-stricken dream about his mother, featuring the first glimpse of the demon's face. I just love the eerie, muted sound and the way it's shattered by Regan's screaming:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD0RJ_iuBPo

From Coppola's Dracula (1992) - The first seduction scene with Dracula and Mina in the museum and the 'Cinematograph'. I love the backdrop of the advancing technology, including the brief glimpse of the puppets re-enacting the battle in which Vlad himself fights against the Turks at the start of the film. It nicely compliments Dracula's own words about the "oceans of time":- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg_GW3HmKVY

From The Crow - Draven's transformation brilliantly edited and complimented by The Cure's Burn. It's basically a mini rock-video but suits the vibe of the movie perfectly. Goosebumps every time:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngGsK-F3kfA

snaze1 -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 9:20:47 AM)

Far too many to pick one fave but heres a few, not in any order:

The attack on the Death star from A new hope.
The final chase from Mad Max 2
McClane fighting Karl in Die Hard
Shootout in the club The Terminator
"Johnny B Goode" Back to the future
"You bow to no one" LOTRROTK
"Funny how?" Goodfellas
Norris transformation The Thing
"You know what she did.....?" The Exorcist
Final scenes of Evil Dead 2
End of Shawshank redemption

Whistler -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 11:54:02 AM)

Talking of Good Will Hunting, I'd have to choose the bar speech:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnZ0Y4rvz6E&feature=related

Hood_Man -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 12:26:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I was going to suggest that one myself. Brilliantly written scene, brilliantly under-played by Mr Williams.

April 4th 2000, I was off school because I was "ill," and my dad had offered to go into town to pick up my pre-ordered copy of The Phantom Menace being released that day.

After many hours of waiting he comes home, walks through the door and announces "I'm home, did I get the right one?" and pulls out a copy of Good Will Hunting from his bag.

I didn't appreciate the joke at the time ([sm=893Grumpy-thumb.gif]), but who knew it would turn out to be the best practical joke ever? [:D]

rich -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 12:35:26 PM)

They cut the power!

What d'ya mean they cut the power, they're animals!

Super Hans -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 2:00:00 PM)

Not the sort of thing I find easy to think of favourites for, but I do like the following:

The Big Lebowski - too many to mention, but the first meeting between the two Lebowski is class, as are the scenes where they's bowling (the one where Walter convinces the Dude that he ought to get the other Lebowski to replace his rug, the Jesus scene etc).  I also love the botched bag-drop scene[:D].

Clerks - Having watched the 2nd one again the other night, I can't help thinking Kevin Smith's style seems borderline passé now (as is Tarantino) but a lot of Clerks is great - the dicussions about contractors on the Death Star and the cigarette gum bloke being two of my faves.

American Psycho - The business card comparisson scene.

Terminator 2 - Liquid nitrogen.

DancingClown -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 2:07:54 PM)

A few more...

From Jurassic Park - the scene of the first T-Rex attack, a masterclass in suspense, pacing, humour and terror. Deciding to remove a previously written score for the scene was definitely a good move. I remember seeing it for the first time at the Empire, Leicester Square when I was sixteen and once the scene was finished you could hear the whole audience exhaling. Couldn't find the entire scene with the build-up but this'll do:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5Co3A3fLBo

From Apollo 13 - the shuttle launch, fantastically shot, it always fills me with giddy, boyish excitement. Wish I'd seen it on the big screen:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgHYGw9OL7c

From Evil Dead 2 - the scene when Ash's hand gets possessed, resulting in a wonderfully inventive sequence featuring some great physical comedy from Mr Campbell :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKHBOCoqhfE

From Flash Gordon - Brian Blessed and Queen, 'nuff said :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnTHypbLlkE

Deviation -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 4:36:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

quote:

You know what, I like it - nay, love it - when people mention "obscure" films that I haven't seen or heard of before, because it often leads me to excellent films that I otherwise wouldn't have sought out. That's one of the main reasons I come on these forums...

Goody, cause I can post THIS here.

sanctumest -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 9:47:06 PM)

Unforgiven - the scenes in Skinny's bar "Deserves got nothing to do with it.", I love the dialogue in this film. Also the opening ten minutes of There Will be Blood and the transit of Venus from Sunshine.

Drone -> RE: It's here.... favourite ever scenes (19/2/2012 11:14:40 PM)

I always think of a ton of these after I have posted, but off the top of my head :

ROSEMARY'S BABY

At the end, "Hail Satan!" And, "What have you done to his eyes?"

DAWN OF THE DEAD (REMAKE)

Making her escape through the neighbourhood in the car was a pretty amazing scene.

SHAUN OF THE DEAD

The garden scene! The mug tree... brilliant.

THE THING

Head grows legs... "You gotta be fucking kidding me!"

Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI