Awake - US Speed (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen

Barefoot Doctor -> Awake - US Speed (17/2/2012 6:58:43 PM)

Hello to Jason Isaacs! His new show isn't supposed to debut in the US until March 1st, but NBC have made it available online a little early.

It's been hyped as the best network show of the 2011/12 season, and I'd have to agree.

The plot is this: Michael Britten (Isaacs) is a detective who is in a car crash with his wife and son. Following the crash, he lives in two realities - one in which the wife lived, and one in which the son lived. In each reality he meets with a different psychiatrist and has a different partner.

It's a procedural, there's no getting away from it. But there's an interesting spin on that, as Michael has cases in each reality and there's a bleeding effect, with information from one reality helping him in the other.

In the pilot the police work is thankfully in the background, allowing a more human drama to take centre stage as he comes to terms with the loss of the two people most important to him. That's the show people will want to see, and Isaacs is unsurprisingly excellent. I'd hazard a guess that the procedural aspects will come to the fore, but as long as there's a strong emotional aspect to things I'll keep coming back.

Procedurals are often derided, but there's nothing wrong with a case of the week approach as long as there's something bigger in play.

Anyway, give it a watch. Definitely my favourite pilot of the season. Coincidentally, it's created by the man who also had the best pilot of last season, the quite excellent Lone Star. Sadly, that only lasted two episodes. Here's hoping for a brighter future for Awake.

Captain Black -> RE: Awake - US Speed (17/2/2012 7:53:50 PM)

Is this the *coughs* web rip (I know NBC put it on line)? What's the image quality like? I've been really looking forward to this but thought I'd wait until it's been broadcast.

Hello Jason.

Barefoot Doctor -> RE: Awake - US Speed (17/2/2012 9:33:39 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Is this the *coughs* web rip (I know NBC put it on line)? What's the image quality like? I've been really looking forward to this but thought I'd wait until it's been broadcast.

Hello Jason.

It is. Quality is good, obviously not usual standard but doesn't detract from the viewing experience. Version I saw had subtitles, so if that's not your thing then avoid.

piccolo135 -> RE: Awake - US Speed (17/2/2012 10:52:49 PM)

quote:

Hello Jason.

*cough* it is *cough*

mine was HD, ultra perfect.....cough.

Oh and I had no subtitles.

Captain Black -> RE: Awake - US Speed (18/2/2012 1:12:59 PM)

Thanks - watched it.

Very good all round. Thought even the procedural element had a bit more zip and imagination about it than could be reasonably expected; it's probably an easy trap to fall into where you have a show like this where the concept is the hook and forget about the main storyline, but they did a good job here. I can sort of understand early review rumblings about its sustainability as a long term series, at least regarding the therapists (no issue with it being a procedural where one cast assists the other - they could string that out for years), but they've got a good pair of actors for them and hopefully the show will evolve that aspect.

I think if it gets reasonable ratings (at least enough to get a second season) it's got enough elements in place that if they're bold it could reach that Life on Mars level of intrigue about what's really at work.

Timon -> RE: Awake - US Speed (2/3/2012 11:32:52 AM)

I've heard good things. Think I'll watch it. Various critics are saying the pilot is en par with Homeland for the best of 2011/2012.

[image]http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Jason-Isaacs-Awake-NBC1.jpg[/image]

musht -> RE: Awake - US Speed (2/3/2012 5:49:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I've heard good things. Think I'll watch it. Various critics are saying the pilot is en par with Homeland for the best of 2011/2012.

[image]http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content/uploads/Jason-Isaacs-Awake-NBC1.jpg[/image]

I definitely enjoyed this, it's an interesting premise but it is in danger of becoming a procedural and I really hope they know where they're going with the dream thing.

While good, no where near as good as Homeland which had me hooked from the start

Captain Black -> RE: Awake - US Speed (2/3/2012 7:24:13 PM)

It opened to a 1.9 in the 18-49. Not so good, but hopefully it won't drop off too much in the next few weeks. Apparently there's a story arc which wraps up the end of the first season, so if it doesn't come back next year, it should at least provide some resolution.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Awake - US Speed (10/3/2012 5:02:07 PM)

SPOILERS

I'm enjoying this so far - it's the most interesting of the new shows that I've seen this season

Things are developing quite interestingly and surprisingly quickly. I wouldn't have expected to see a development like Britten's boss revealed as a villain quite so soon. I was also intrigued to see that the other characters have scenes independent of Isaacs as he was (if I remember correctly) in every scene of the first episode like John Simm in Life on Mars) so it was all from his POV.  Having the others have stuff  separate from him certainly makes it harder to tell what is or isn't "real". I await the next episode kennly.

On a side note just how hot is his missus?

[image]http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/A_F/Aq_Az/Awake/season1/awake-28.jpg[/image]

Zaphod121 -> RE: Awake - US Speed (10/3/2012 5:23:49 PM)

I'm not convinced either reality is fake, I'm thinking there is something more. And yes Laura Allen is lovely, she was great in TERRIERS.

musht -> RE: Awake - US Speed (10/3/2012 7:04:46 PM)

The scene at the end was really confusing for me, obviously we now know Britten was onto some dodgy dealings within the PD possibly higher, the real questions for me are "Do they [the CoP and the other] know about the dual reality thing?" and "Will it be a plot in both realities are just one?"

I agree with Zaphod in that I'm not convinced either reality is fake

Captain Black -> RE: Awake - US Speed (10/3/2012 10:45:40 PM)

I thought that was a really solid episode of TV. Not grade A, but a good case of the week, some effective emotional stuff, and a nice little hook for the on-going story.

I was about to ask were the scenes where Britten wasn't present always in the same universe, but then I remembered each one had scenes without him, and I'd like to think there's a reason for that. What did his son's friend say to his son's girlfriend when they were in the storage locker with the bike?

Edit: Oh, and I want both to be real, in a imaginitive sci-fi scenario. I've seen the "it's all a dream/purgatory stuff" done already. Go big.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Awake - US Speed (10/3/2012 11:59:31 PM)

quote:

I thought that was a really solid episode of TV. Not grade A, but a good case of the week, some effective emotional stuff, and a nice little hook for the on-going story.

I was about to ask were the scenes where Britten wasn't present always in the same universe, but then I remembered each one had scenes without him, and I'd like to think there's a reason for that. What did his son's friend say to his son's girlfriend when they were in the storage locker with the bike?

Edit: Oh, and I want both to be real, in a imaginitive sci-fi scenario. I've seen the "it's all a dream/purgatory stuff" done already. Go big.

Sounded like "You wouldn't happen to be the one who coached Ella would you?" or something like that. Also on the subject of what did they say? - Didn't her off of ER say something to big nose man about "taking out his whole family"? Assuming they were talking about Britten is this something significant - or is it that she just doesn't mean "kill" when she uses the phrase?

Captain Black -> RE: Awake - US Speed (11/3/2012 9:04:10 AM)

I think "her off ER" (Laura Innes - or Captain Harper, apparently) meant that they'd tried to kill the whole family, which presumably failed from her point of view. Have we only seen her in the 'red' universe?

musht -> RE: Awake - US Speed (11/3/2012 11:26:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

Sounded like "You wouldn't happen to be the one who coached Ella would you?" or something like that. Also on the subject of what did they say? - Didn't her off of ER say something to big nose man about "taking out his whole family"? Assuming they were talking about Britten is this something significant - or is it that she just doesn't mean "kill" when she uses the phrase?

He asked her if she was going to Coachella, it's a music festival in the states and it's what Rex (that name really annoys me) was insisting they go to, making it their first trip on the bike

Zaphod121 -> RE: Awake - US Speed (11/3/2012 1:21:19 PM)

Yeah I had to watch that little bit back about three times to understand what he was saying.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Awake - US Speed (11/3/2012 4:46:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

He asked her if she was going to Coachella, it's a music festival in the states and it's what Rex (that name really annoys me) was insisting they go to, making it their first trip on the bike

Ah right - that makes sense. I think they really ought to have redubbed that line. It's only clear what he's saying  once you know what he's saying.

Barefoot Doctor -> RE: Awake - US Speed (12/3/2012 6:42:13 PM)

Thought the second episode was just alright. I don't think the procedural stuff is ever going to interest me, but the scenes dealing with his wife and son were enjoyable.

Could have done without the final scene. Just can't be bothered with evil conspiracies. I know procedurals feel they need a bigger series arc, but the story of two realities was more than enough for me.

Timon -> RE: Awake - US Speed (14/3/2012 9:47:19 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

SPOILERS

I'm enjoying this so far - it's the most interesting of the new shows that I've seen this season

Things are developing quite interestingly and surprisingly quickly. I wouldn't have expected to see a development like Britten's boss revealed as a villain quite so soon. I was also intrigued to see that the other characters have scenes independent of Isaacs as he was (if I remember correctly) in every scene of the first episode like John Simm in Life on Mars) so it was all from his POV.  Having the others have stuff  separate from him certainly makes it harder to tell what is or isn't "real". I await the next episode kennly.

On a side note just how hot is his missus?

[image]http://static.tvguide.com/MediaBin/Galleries/Shows/A_F/Aq_Az/Awake/season1/awake-28.jpg[/image]

I keep thinking she is or looks far too young to have a 16 year old son. She looks like she could be his older sister.

That or Jason is shopping in the junior department.

But yes, very pretty.

Captain Black -> RE: Awake - US Speed (14/3/2012 10:15:56 PM)

She's 37. Jason's 48. It's a stretch, but not out of the question.

Zaphod121 -> RE: Awake - US Speed (15/3/2012 1:35:09 AM)

He's what we like to call a... PLAYA.

Captain Black -> RE: Awake - US Speed (16/3/2012 10:19:24 PM)

He's trading down even younger now with the tennis coach!

A solid third episode. It felt like the plot of an episode from much later in a lot of shows' runs; which to me is a sign that the writing staff have got a lot of confidence in what works about their show. On a network show anyway.

Was that the girl (Rex's girlfriend?) from the previous episode who appeared in the youth centre speech scene (Laura Allen was great in that as it could have been really mawkish).

Ratings were quite similar to last week. Still very low, but hopefully it stays there.

musht -> RE: Awake - US Speed (17/3/2012 1:25:36 AM)

Thought it was a very strong episode! Although was it ever explained why Rex didn't use the phone to call people, was there no reception or something.

I'm fully convinced now that both realities are real, there's no way Britten could've known (even subconsciously) about the place in the desert. Surely it's only a matter of time before the shrinks run out of ways to explain things under the carpet

Scruffybobby -> RE: Awake - US Speed (17/3/2012 4:58:18 PM)

quote:

Was that the girl (Rex's girlfriend?) from the previous episode who appeared in the youth centre speech scene

Yup it was, she was sat next the kid he was building the bike with

quote:

ORIGINAL: Musht

Thought it was a very strong episode! Although was it ever explained why Rex didn't use the phone to call people, was there no reception or something. I'm fully convinced now that both realities are real, there's no way Britten could've known (even subconsciously) about the place in the desert.

There was a shot where he was trying to call 911 and the screen read "call failed", although if it was an reception issue that doesn't explain how the bad guy could call the payphone (unless he just has a network with better coverage) which is how he knew his son was being held somewhere in the desert.

It's the fact that the other characters have scenes that Britten isn't in that leads me to think that both worlds are real.

Barefoot Doctor -> RE: Awake - US Speed (21/3/2012 11:56:12 AM)

Much better than episode two.

I thought the stylistic touches (colour schemes etc) were much more obvious here, meaning we didn't need to be told what reality we were in.

Thought the cliffhanger last week was a bit rubbish, but it was still annoying that it wasn't touched on. Makes it feel even more tacked on.

When is Isaacs going to hook up with the tennis coach? It's inevitable. Will lead to an interesting storyline, as Britten will no doubt feel guilty about 'cheating' on his wife. But I'm less interested in seeing the fallout when Rex finds out, as he'll likely has a crush on her (who wouldn't?!)

Captain Black -> RE: Awake - US Speed (23/3/2012 10:08:21 PM)

Fourth episode then and another solid hour. I even find the procedural police material a level above the more typical stuff on TV. Isaacs is really very good in this (best Brit doing an American acccent? Got to be a contender) - strong without any showy stuff.

Apparently this episode was moved up from its production order. Aside from the aforementioned cliffhanger from episode 2 being possibly tacked on, there's not a lot of other obvious tinkering going on.

Dropped to a 1.2 in the 18-49. Ouch.

musht -> RE: Awake - US Speed (24/3/2012 4:15:23 PM)

Agreed, Captain another solid episode.

Is anyone else finding it confusing trying to remember which shrink/partner belongs to which world?

Captain Black -> RE: Awake - US Speed (24/3/2012 6:24:04 PM)

Funnily enough, when I was watching this episode I was thinking just that, but it's not too bad as long as you remember the colour palette, so:

Green=Son=Cherry Jones as shrink=Freeman as partner.
Red=Wife=BD Wong as shrink=Vega as partner.

musht -> RE: Awake - US Speed (24/3/2012 6:53:00 PM)

quote:

Funnily enough, when I was watching this episode I was thinking just that, but it's not too bad as long as you remember the colour palette, so:

Green=Son=Cherry Jones as shrink=Freeman as partner.
Red=Wife=BD Wong as shrink=Vega as partner.

[sm=augen14.gif]

Captain Black -> RE: Awake - US Speed (24/3/2012 7:26:25 PM)

Have I just explained that in a really crap way? [:D] Have you noticed how one universe is shot with a green filter (where his son's alive) and the other a red filter (his wife's alive)?

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI