Decent camera yet cheap-ish?? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Filmmakers' Workshop

The REAL Bozz -> Decent camera yet cheap-ish?? (15/2/2012 5:00:15 PM)

Hi guys. Can any of you recomend a decent camera for filming. It would only be used for shorts. Thanks for any help you can offer!

James2183 -> RE: Decent camera yet cheap-ish?? (16/2/2012 11:01:34 AM)

Need a ball park figure of how much you're willing to spend.

In this day and age I'd suggest going the DSLR route. 555D or something along those lines.

The REAL Bozz -> RE: Decent camera yet cheap-ish?? (16/2/2012 10:40:12 PM)

Well bud I was thinking of getting the SonyCX115, so that's about just over 200? In and around that price range I guess.

MGF638 -> RE: Decent camera yet cheap-ish?? (27/2/2012 9:07:06 AM)

I'm sorry Bozz, I don't mean to hijack your thread but was just wondering whether I could question James2183 on why he would suggest a DSLR.

I have been looking at getting a video camera myself and am torn between getting one and getting a stills camera like the 550D (which I think is what you were linking as I do not know of a 555D).

I was considering a X2 but if shooting video on a DSLR is beneficial I could kill two birds with one stone by getting one of those.

Thank you in advance for your time.

James2183 -> RE: Decent camera yet cheap-ish?? (27/2/2012 9:03:56 PM)

Indeed I did mean 550D, that's the drawback of typing on my phone. [:D]

I'd suggest a DSLR for a number of reasons. For a start it serves two purposes, a camera and a video camera, meaning you save money for when you need a camera to take promo stills with :) You can also change lenses which is a big bonus since no video camera in the same price range can do so, giving you much more options when shooting. Most film fans like having depth of field in their shots which is easier to achieve with a proper lens that features on a DSLR. Adding to this most are better in low light due to their larger sensors is why I would suggest these over other cameras on the market.

Having said, before buying any camera I would always recommend trying them out first. Whether doing it in the shop or renting from a company it's the best way to see whether it's right for you.

Bozz - at that sort of price range you aren't going to find something that will great. Most wont have sockets for sound inputs and the ability to manually control the settings will probably be a pain in the arse. Have you ever thought about hiring?

stepstone -> RE: Decent camera yet cheap-ish?? (5/3/2012 10:25:19 AM)

What's the best lense option for budding filmmaker? There's the 18-55mm (cheapest option), 18-135mm, Double Zoom and there's the body only option. I know ideally you'd probably want them all, but which is the best to start with?

Myxomatosis -> RE: Decent camera yet cheap-ish?? (28/4/2012 5:33:13 PM)

Panasonic GH2.

For the amount of money you will pay for it, the results are incredible

There is community online that has sprung up around this camera due to the ability to hack it and force it to perform at a much higher standard than Panasonic intended

Have a little look at some of the videos posted in places like Vimeo and see what you think.

Alternatively, I'm selling my Sony HVR A1. PM me if you're interested

Myxomatosis -> RE: Decent camera yet cheap-ish?? (28/4/2012 7:39:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: stepstone

What's the best lense option for budding filmmaker? There's the 18-55mm (cheapest option), 18-135mm, Double Zoom and there's the body only option. I know ideally you'd probably want them all, but which is the best to start with?

If you are going to buy lenses for your film making, unfortunately it is probably best not to buy zooms. Fixed focal length primes are you best bet. Because of this, you're going to need to cover a decent range.

It'll all depend on the size of your sensor and whether a crop is needed, but these measurements as according to a Full Frame sensor should give you an idea. To start you will probably need three lenses *

Any fixed focal length between 12mm-24mm (Wide Angle)

Fixed focal between 25mm - 75mm (Middle and Close)

75mm + (Close and extreme close)

Each lense is going to have its own qualities and quirks so it is hard to say which is the 'best' one, but if you find a lense you like the look of, there will be plenty of reviews and discussions online talking about its pros and cons

HTH

* This is by no means a strict rule but a rough guide

Ghidorah -> RE: Decent camera yet cheap-ish?? (1/5/2012 10:44:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: The REAL Bozz

Well bud I was thinking of getting the SonyCX115, so that's about just over 200? In and around that price range I guess.

I have CX155 and it practically the same model except mine has a built in 8gb Flashdrive. It's a nice TINY bit of kit however there are some downsides to it. Since buying it I got into photography and been using the Micro Four Thirds cameras.

What you are getting is 1080i resolution not Blu ray Quality. This is because the camcorder has a tiny sesnor. The sensor itself sits behind the lens and pick up the detail. Bigger the sensor the more information it picks up but it also increase the lens size aswell. The other niggle is the CPU doesn't have the power to record all the detail and instead blurr the background out. So only the subject in focus has details while everything else is a highlighted smudge.
It not a bad piece of kit and the auto focus is very good. I'm just letting you know there are big limitions.

The GH2 is part of the Micro Four Thirds Camera range. The GH3 is coming out soon so the GH2 will drop down in price . However at the moment it cost 500 with a basic lens. It cost 1000 with a lens panasonic 14-140mm designed for movie making. The best lens for low light is the Panasonic 25mm and that cost around 500. It not cheap.

The good news however the GF series is an entry model and the GF5 is coming out soon. The GF2 and GF3 is going down in price. The GF2 has better manual controls while the GF3 series has better JPEG engine.
I have the GF2 and I love the compact size. The iso is limited to 800 but I say 400 and best to use RAW settings instead of JPEG. If you good down the GF series root i suggest buying it with the 14mm lens. It has internal focusing so the focusing noise will not be heard during filming. However the GF series is mainly designed as a pocketable compact camera while the GH2 is designed specially for filming and photography at the sametime.

GH2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-GH2HEB-K-Digital-Camera-14-140mm/dp/B00452TG72/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1335908466&sr=8-3

GF2
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-Digital-Camera-14mm/dp/B004AE3950/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335908554&sr=1-4

GF3
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-DMC-GF3-12-1MP-Compact-System/dp/B0057LZHA0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335908592&sr=1-1

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI