Top 100 footballers of all time (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand

MOTH -> Top 100 footballers of all time (10/2/2012 7:31:23 PM)

Journalist Miguel Delaney makes a fair stab at listing the great players of all time, based on facts and figures.
A good read, not so much because of the order, which is never likely to be accepted wholeheartedly, but because in amongst the usual suspects, there's a fair few i wasn't familiar with, such as Guiseppe Meazza, Obdulia Varela and others. If you've a bit of time on your hands, it's a good source for some interesting titbits and anecdotes so you can impress your mates down t'pub. (just before they run you out of town for being a boring arse)

Top 100 Footballers.

Rhubarb -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (10/2/2012 7:40:26 PM)

I was sort of hopeful this would be a poll so we could vote for our own. Still, cool link (I'd have Johan Cruyff at No1)

boaby -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (10/2/2012 8:48:37 PM)

that's just gibberish.

Pele had more caps, more international goal and won 3 times as many world cups as Maradona, yet Maradona scores higher on the boy's international category. Nonsense. By the Age of 17 Pele had scored the winner in a WC QF, a hat-rick in a WC semi and a double in the WC final. 6 goals. More than Maradona scored in '86 at his peak.

galvatron -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (10/2/2012 9:38:42 PM)

How can Pele be given a mark of 84/100 for international career? He won THREE world cups! 

Mojo -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (11/2/2012 9:01:59 AM)

No Christiano Ronaldo in the top 100?

jonson -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (11/2/2012 9:23:06 AM)

It's quite an interesting way of working out the Top 100, I wouldn't argue with the Top 2, I know Pele won more WC's but Maradonna was awesome, just awesome.
I see the lack of players who didn't win much domestically and internationally, hence perhaps the lack of Christiano Ronaldo and IMO, Paul Gascoigne (the best English player I have seen - certianly of the last 40 years)
Still, it's always interesting for a debate, I've printed the list off and shall peruse it in the pub before the football this afternoon. [:D]

Skiba -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (11/2/2012 9:25:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mojo

No Christiano Ronaldo in the top 100?

That's a fucking travesty as he should be top 20 at least and the comments said he only just missed out. Right, so Ronaldinho makes the top 40 and he was good for what, like 3 or 4 seasons, whilst Ronaldo dominated the EPL for that and more and now La Liga...and the likes of Sammer, Redondo, Villa make it ahead of him. All very good players but should not be in there at the expense of Ronaldo.

jonson -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (11/2/2012 9:29:08 AM)

Yeah, I'd have to agree, Was the best player in the Premiership for most of his time here, but then again they left out Matt Le Tissier who if he'd gone to Fergie at ManU and not eaten so many pies, would have been the greatest player of all time. [:D]

Skiba -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (11/2/2012 9:34:32 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Yeah, I'd have to agree, Was the best player in the Premiership for most of his time here, but then again they left out Matt Le Tissier who if he'd gone to Fergie at ManU and not eaten so many pies, would have been the greatest player of all time. [:D]

Le Tiss should've come to Chelsea when Hoddle was there...he nearly did but didn't fancy giving up his golf!

ChickMagnet -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (11/2/2012 9:58:07 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I was sort of hopeful this would be a poll so we could vote for our own. Still, cool link (I'd have Johan Cruyff at No1)

If there's interest I'd quite happily do an Empire top 100 football players of all time thread [:)]

MOTH -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (11/2/2012 10:10:31 AM)

like i said, unlikely that people will accept the list or order, but still a useful resource. I know I'll be casually mentioning the likes of Meazza now, whenever this topic comes up with mates, whilst they trot out the usual suspects.[:D]

jonson -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (11/2/2012 10:11:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

Le Tiss should've come to Chelsea when Hoddle was there...he nearly did but didn't fancy giving up his golf!

Fair play. [:D]
I admire his devotion to Southampton (and he didn't want to be too far from his family) but I can't remember seeing that many naturally gifted footballers, Gazza aside, than him.

quote:

If there's interest I'd quite happily do an Empire top 100 football players of all time thread

OK, go on then. [:D]

Skiba -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (11/2/2012 12:06:19 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

Fair play. [:D]
I admire his devotion to Southampton (and he didn't want to be too far from his family) but I can't remember seeing that many naturally gifted footballers, Gazza aside, than him.

quote:

If there's interest I'd quite happily do an Empire top 100 football players of all time thread

OK, go on then. [:D]

Oh yeah I agree he was an absolute natural and the sort of player a lot of European clubs or countries would've built their team around...and I think a move to a resurgent Chelsea with Hoddle, Gullitt etc would've been huge for him

Go for it!

garvielloken -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (11/2/2012 2:54:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

quote:

If there's interest I'd quite happily do an Empire top 100 football players of all time thread [:)]

Just your own list or a forum poll? I'd like the idea of doing a top 100, it could be interesting. If you run a poll count me in. [:)]

ChickMagnet -> RE: Top 100 footballers of all time (11/2/2012 6:47:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

quote:

Just your own list or a forum poll? I'd like the idea of doing a top 100, it could be interesting. If you run a poll count me in. [:)]

Definitely a forum poll, if it was my own personal list we'd end up with Henrik Larsson 99 times and Eric Cantona at number 37 [:D]

Let me have a think tonight what rules (How many votes, closing date, that kinda thing) and I'll get a thread up in the morning.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI