Margin Call (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Margin Call (6/2/2012 9:10:41 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Qwerty Norris -> (6/2/2012 9:10:41 PM)

A bit like Inside Job in the sense of condensing a very complicated issue into a manner that makes sense yet doesn't come across as over-simplification. The cast are universally great (Bettany & Irons are terrific, whilst it feels like it's been ages since I've seen Kevin Spacey in anything good) & given it’s a film made up entirely of people speaking in rooms about the financial markets over the course of a 24 hour period it's remarkably gripping. There is however a dog subplot which initially seemed to suggest that those within the financial industry care about an elderly pet more than the livelihoods of their staff (which I liked), yet it's purpose ultimately materialises into a jarring ending that doesn't really work & brings proceedings to a sudden halt. Still, like the empire review suggested - it does the job Wall Street 2 really should have really attempted. Very impressive.

4/5

Qwerty Norris -> RE: (6/2/2012 9:11:32 PM)

A bit like Inside Job in the sense of condensing a very complicated issue into a manner that makes sense yet doesn't come across as over-simplification. The cast are universally great (Bettany & Irons are terrific, whilst it feels like it's been ages since I've seen Kevin Spacey in anything good) & given itís a film made up entirely of people speaking in rooms about the financial markets over the course of a 24 hour period it's remarkably gripping. There is however a dog subplot which initially seemed to suggest that those within the financial industry care about an elderly pet more than the livelihoods of their staff (which I liked), yet it's purpose ultimately materialises into a jarring ending that doesn't really work & brings proceedings to a sudden halt. Still, like the empire review suggested - it does the job Wall Street 2 really should have attempted. Very impressive.

4/5

nhassell -> RE: RE: (8/2/2012 3:53:29 PM)

Very good little drama which will go unseen by most. Thought Spacey was excellent.

moehat -> RE: RE: (23/2/2012 12:12:42 AM)

Not my kind of film at all, but went to see it because the trailer was good and i liked the line up of actors [although confused about Demi Moore being in it]. Enjoyed it more than a few other things I've seen recently. Wouldn't advise anyone to go and see it, but wouldn't advise them not to, either. Always happy to watch Kevin Spacey.

Enzino -> Dull (18/4/2012 9:55:49 AM)

This film is worth three stars at best. The performances are good but most of it was still impenetrable to me even though friends said it would explain what caused the recession. I kept waiting for some grandstanding or even someone to get killed but the restraint shown made it so dull. And the bit with the dog is just so pretentious.

bill the butcher -> MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF 2012 (13/12/2012 8:14:22 PM)

looking back on the year
this is the best i saw
amazing acting screenplay music direction
i still can't believe Jeremy Irons wasn't nominated

bill the butcher -> MY FAVORITE MOVIE OF 2012 (13/12/2012 8:14:23 PM)

looking back on the year
this is the best i saw
amazing acting screenplay music direction
i still can't believe Jeremy Irons wasn't nominated

tysmuse -> Terrific (13/3/2013 10:49:56 PM)

Also good to see great drama based simply on people talking in a room.

guysalisbury -> Great acting! (20/3/2013 9:23:52 AM)

I'm still not really sure what to make of this. It wasnt what I expected at all but I did really like it. The performances from Irons, Spacey and Bettany were brilliant and I'm really excited about Quinto. For me it just didnt have enough substance to be excellent and it could have done with being a tad longer. I can only think of a handful of people I would recommend this to. 3 and 1/2 stars would be perfect.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI