Post-Box changed in Firefox update (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base

elab49 -> Post-Box changed in Firefox update (3/2/2012 9:46:11 AM)

This last happened yonks ago as well but I haven't a clue how to fix it in the new Firefox.

The post-box no longer shows HTML (ie you click the smilie face and it shows the punctuation not the pic). I'm sure ages ago there used to be a compatibility button but that's gone). It it helps this update just happened (apparently it was essential to be able to analyse a web-page) but I've learned my lesson and turned off auto-updates.

So the basic question - how do you make Firefox show the post-box properly? [:)]

Scruffybobby -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (5/2/2012 11:08:42 PM)

Same shit's happened to me. I can't use "ctrl+I" or "ctrl+B" for italics or bold text either. Those just open up a bookmarks search panel.

The image insert [image]http://wolfandwillow.typepad.com/.a/6a0120a6a93724970b0120a77392d7970b-800wi[/image] is also fucked. (the image was supposed to be for a lame joke ib the cheesecake thread) What the hell is the deal Mozilla?

Edit: Just tried it with IE and the same shit's happening. Has the update done soemthng to my PC?

elab49 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (5/2/2012 11:57:46 PM)

My IE is fine - I've been using that to update my lists. It's just this latest Firefox update that's screwed the pooch for me, so to speak.

It has also made the post box text tiny - not good for my aging eyes [>:]

rawlinson -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (6/2/2012 1:49:41 PM)

I don't know about changing it (it happened to me to) but by updating your lists, do you mean the top 100 watched this year and stuff? It's easy enough to do that with the new box. You know when you click on edit post now, you get those little star signs before each entry in the list? Just copy that star sign before each new film you add and the numbering is automatic.

elab49 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (6/2/2012 2:51:25 PM)

It's more that it's really fiddly and the text size is so tiny you can't quite pick out the gaps (it's one of the reasons I think that's partly why Shifty is having an issue with images as well.

Whereas if I go to IE I can just insert a new film the same way as usual. And ot think I stopped using IE after an update their meant access to sites kept failing.

Spaldron -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (6/2/2012 3:45:56 PM)

Get Chrome.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (6/2/2012 4:47:22 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Get Chrome.

Tried that. Same problem - which makes me think the update has actually altered something on my system rather than just updating Firefox itself. Going to try a system restore when I get home.

Spectre -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (6/2/2012 7:44:19 PM)

I'm having the same problem. I have tried downloading on older version of FF. It's the same with chrome and safari too.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (6/2/2012 8:21:59 PM)

Well the system restore did actually fuck all good. In fact the earlier verison of FF that it restored did nowt but crash.

Really pissed off with it.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (6/2/2012 9:33:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spectre

I'm having the same problem. I have tried downloading on older version of FF. It's the same with chrome and safari too.

I've downloaded 9.0.1 and it seems to be working fine.

[image]http://www.dreamstime.com/thumbs-up-boy-thumb13986989.jpg[/image]

Hopefully the next update won't cause any problems

Spaldron -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (6/2/2012 11:14:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

Get Chrome.

Tried that. Same problem - which makes me think the update has actually altered something on my system rather than just updating Firefox itself. Going to try a system restore when I get home.

Well I use Chrome and it ain't happened to me yet. Maybe its got something to do with your systems than browsers.

elab49 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 9:22:21 AM)

Nope. Just Firefox, just the update. Scruffy has something different going on.

This particular issue isn't an unknown one and has happened with updates on browsers before - it's just that there is normally a fix for it - some kind of compatibility button, or something to tick. This doesn't seem to be the case with the Firefox update.

It sounds more like something has gone generally odd with Scruffy's Visual Html Editor thingy.

Gram123 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 10:06:02 AM)

Yeah, I rolled back to Firefox 9, too. I can't bear upgrading to 10 if it means when you're writing posts they're littered with BBCode tags.

I submitted a query to Firefox Help:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Me
Firefox 10 BBCode tags Since upgrading to Firefox 10.0, I find that when posting messages in internet forums, I now see the BBCode tags appear whilst writing the post. e.g. If I select a piece of text and click the bold button, I don't see that it's bold until after submitting the post. Instead I see [ b ]whatever text[ /b ] (sans spaces). Also, I find that pressing CTRL + B to make text bold whilst writing does nothing. The very reason I chose Firefox as my preferred browser, and dropped Internet Explorer and Opera, was because it displayed text formatting correctly whilst I typed in my favourite internet forums. I now either have to roll back to the previous version of Firefox or find an alternative browser.

And got these 2 replies:
quote:

Perform the suggestions mentioned in the following articles:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Template:clearCookiesCache
  https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Troubleshooting-extensions-themes

Check and tell if its working.

May not be related to your problem but some of your Firefox Plugins are out-dated

Update All your Firefox Plugins -> https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/plugincheck/
  When Downloading Plugins Update setup files, Remove Checkmark from Downloading other Optional Softwares with your Plugins (e.g. Toolbars, McAfee, Google Chrome, etc.)

quote:

Sounds that you've disabled the rich text editor (Midas) and are using a basic text editor that works with BB Code.
You need to check the edit settings in the forum options.
It is possible that the forum software doesn't recognize the Firefox 10 version that now has two digits and thinks that you use Firefox 1 that didn't had a rich text editor.

elab49 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 10:13:40 AM)

I think they are basically sending out the dreaded autoresponses as they haven't a clue - I've been using language translators and all the queries in the page I was directed to from Firefox has the samish query. We've done the disabled add-ons, makes no difference and I've gone through the cccleaner route for everything.

Looking at Empire I can't see an edit setting in Forum options - is there one?

Gram123 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 1:04:44 PM)

Not for us mere mortals, no. As far as I can tell, it's a job for the site programmer(s).

In the meantime, you could change browser, but be aware that this issue definitely exists in Internet Explorer, Opera and it looks like Google Chrome.

Or do as I and Scruffy have done, and roll-back to Firefox 9.0.1:

http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 2:32:32 PM)

Thank you people. I've been raging about this, and just rolled back to Firefox 9. All is well.

shool -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 2:44:10 PM)

Does everyone here use popup box to post?

I use inline. I'm on IE and still only get the BBCodes which is a pain.

elab49 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 2:57:31 PM)

My IE works fine though - it's just Firefox.

WIll rolling back affect my favourites at all, or do I need to back them up first?

shool -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 2:59:59 PM)

I have to use IE as its a work computer and they would get a bit hacked off using a competitors browser.

I have no idea why your IE works and mine doesnt though. (I'm on IE9) Maybe its something to do with Cookies, settings or preferences. [&:]

elab49 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 3:11:42 PM)

I doubt my version of IE is the latest one as I stopped using it ages ago when the update meant it stopped working properly on most of the sites I use. I really only use it because it's more functional with my webmail. But it does show a normal post box.

Gram123 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 3:22:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool
Does everyone here use popup box to post?

I use inline. I'm on IE and still only get the BBCodes which is a pain.

Doesn't matter which you use, you still get the BBCodes showing.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
WIll rolling back affect my favourites at all, or do I need to back them up first?

No, rolling back should not affect your favourites. I didn't back mine up when I rolled back.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I doubt my version of IE is the latest one as I stopped using it ages ago when the update meant it stopped working properly on most of the sites I use. I really only use it because it's more functional with my webmail. But it does show a normal post box.

Ah, there you go then. I use Firefox by default, but like school , I have IE9 installed. Just tested it and, and the codes do appear (inline and pop-up).

Spectre -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 7:45:32 PM)

Rolling back to version 9.0 did the job for me too.

elab49 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (7/2/2012 8:10:07 PM)

Hurrah - and me! Although it does now seem to be spell-checking my posts [&:]

Gram123 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (8/2/2012 9:36:39 AM)

It's a bit crap that we can't have the latest version of Firefox and have "un-irritating" message posting on here. Hopefully either the Empire web bods will fix it (not holding my breath!), or the next release of Firefox will be compatible.

elab - did you roll back to version 9.0 or 9.0.1? It'll be something to do with which text editor the version of Firefox uses. That said, I don't recall their being spell-checking switched on in any of the old versions of Firefox I've used and I must have been using it since at least version 3 (2008), maybe longer...

elab49 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (8/2/2012 9:59:22 AM)

I've not seen it come up in any of the update versions before either, and I must have used the one I rolled back to. It's very odd.

I'm not fussed about using the latest version though - only difference I noticed was some kind of parsing website thing which I'd no use for. They could have offered it as an add-on rather than included it in the DL. There was no problem with the previous version.

Scruffybobby -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (8/2/2012 4:41:57 PM)

A previous version of Firefox I had used to spellcheck my posts - 3point something, before they started going up in whole numbers with every little tweak. Was kinda handy.

The rollback I did fixed FF but IE and Chrome are still showing the bbcode tags - I can at least post images again on them though - but as FF is my default browser I'm not overly fussed  I just fear that there is something in my sytem that will cause verything to go tits up again witht he next revamp.

Olaf -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (8/2/2012 10:38:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby
The rollback I did fixed FF but IE and Chrome are still showing the bbcode tags - I can at least post images again on them though - but as FF is my default browser I'm not overly fussed  I just fear that there is something in my sytem that will cause verything to go tits up again witht he next revamp.

Not sure about IE but Chrome has always displayed bbcodes - I think the only problem was the updated Firefox rather than your computer. (I rolled back FF as well to the older version and it's back to how it used to be.)

doubtlesswonder -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (11/2/2012 11:39:18 PM)

Major newbie question, but is there a quick way to roll back to a previous version or do I have ti uninstall/reinstall?

elab49 -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (12/2/2012 12:15:07 AM)

Go to the oldapps link in Gram's post above - choose the 9.0.1 version and DL and then just double-click to install. It'll just replace the Firefox version you're using, keeping all your bookmarks and tabs intact. 

homersimpson_esq -> RE: Post-Box changed in Firefox update (12/2/2012 12:45:36 AM)

I never use the spollchick function. I use my brain for that instead. /smugmode

[:D]

Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI