Young Adult (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Young Adult (31/1/2012 9:23:09 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Y0gi -> Another baffling Empire review (31/1/2012 9:23:09 AM)

Terrible. Not funny enough to be a straight up comedy, certainly not "sickenly funny" and not smart, dark or well written enough to make you care for the pathetic main character. In the end just bland and boring.
I agree it is "seriously sad", sad that Jason Reitman now has this blemish on his so far perfect directing record.

Y0gi -> Another baffling Emprie review (31/1/2012 9:23:59 AM)

Terrible. Not funny enough to be a straight up comedy, certainly not "sickenly funny" and not smart, dark or well written enough to make you care for the pathetic main character. In the end just bland and boring.
I agree it is "seriously sad", sad that Jason Reitman now has this blemish on his so far perfect directing record.

adambatman82 -> RE: Young Adult (31/1/2012 11:39:49 AM)

I really liked it. Even if our screening was interrupted by one grumpy bastard that actually shouted at everyone else for laughing too much at the film! Theron is great (and I'm not a fan at all), Oswalt was fantastic, and I really loved the overall tone of the film (I haven't seen such a truly despicable person presented as such for quite a long time) and am in agreeance with the Empire review when they say that the balance of the piece is really well judged. I really loved the score too, especially the recurrent use of Teenage Fanclub's The Concept, and the Muzak takes on 90's alterna-classics such as Faith No More's Epic.

Just don't go in expecting Legally Blonde and you'll be alright.

horribleives -> RE: Young Adult (31/1/2012 12:15:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

I really liked it. Even if our screening was interrupted by one grumpy bastard that actually shouted at everyone else for laughing too much at the film! Theron is great (and I'm not a fan at all), Oswalt was fantastic, and I really loved the overall tone of the film (I haven't seen such a truly despicable person presented as such for quite a long time) and am in agreeance with the Empire review when they say that the balance of the piece is really well judged. I really loved the score too, especially the recurrent use of Teenage Fanclub's The Concept, and the Muzak takes on 90's alterna-classics such as Faith No More's Epic.

I was mildly intrigued before but this sentence alone puts it into the 'must-see' category.

wombathog -> RE: Young Adult (31/1/2012 12:17:39 PM)

quote:

...and Low by Cracker.

I really liked it too. I loved the fact that 'The Message' was such a fucked-up version of the usual be yourself bollocks. Theron was amazing and made a great double act with Oswalt.
For me, Jason Reitman has still not made a bad film.

adambatman82 -> RE: Young Adult (31/1/2012 12:19:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

I was mildly intrigued before but this sentence alone puts it into the 'must-see' category.

Yeah, it's lead character is ground in the 90's, and spends much of the time listening to a mix tape from her youth, the lead track of which is The Concept. It's almost like the films theme, such is the manner in which it repeatedly pops up. The Muzak is great too, interpretations of Beck, Faith No More and Pearl Jam all feature.

horribleives -> RE: Young Adult (31/1/2012 1:27:39 PM)

quote:

quote:

Yeah, it's lead character is ground in the 90's, and spends much of the time listening to a mix tape from her youth, the lead track of which is The Concept. It's almost like the films theme, such is the manner in which it repeatedly pops up. The Muzak is great too, interpretations of Beck, Faith No More and Pearl Jam all feature.

Interestingly, the lyrics deal with guilt about treating someone badly - haven't seen the film yet but from what I've read it seems Theron's character does a lot of that.

adambatman82 -> RE: Young Adult (31/1/2012 1:44:06 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Interestingly, the lyrics deal with guilt about treating someone badly - haven't seen the film yet but from what I've read it seems Theron's character does a lot of that.

Yep, she certainly does. She's one of the most unlikeable characters I've seen in a mainstream film for some time. Won't say any more for fear of ruining, but it certainly comes recommended.

tysmuse -> liked it (5/2/2012 7:55:32 PM)

Theron was great. Although, you don't really notice how great until about 40 minutes in. The fat guy mate with a crutch was excellent to.

mackey -> RE: liked it (7/3/2012 1:58:21 PM)

Excellent film with a sensational turn from Charlize. She is so full of loathing for practically everyone, herself included and some of her actions & conversations are difficult to watch at times. It's blackly funny throughout and herself and Patton Oswalt have a great time with their scenes together. As mentioned earlier in the thread it's a rare thing for such a detestable character to be front and centre of a mainstream film and it's hard to think of anyone but Theron pulling it off. Hope this finds a big audience because it really is brilliant.

Gerard Lough -> (23/6/2012 10:12:47 PM)

Could be a future classic.

norgizfox -> Young Adult (1/9/2012 8:52:54 PM)

If you can get past the slow pacing and Reitman's lack of grace, Charlize Theron will make if all worth it in this hilarious and amazingly well-acted peek at the honest mind of our high school would-be's. 

movienut707 -> "Sometimes in order to heal... a few people have to get hurt" (7/11/2013 4:47:59 AM)

Emotionally speaking, Young Adult goes where few other films dare. So, while this isn't quite as good as Jason Reitman's previous efforts, it is certainly worth a look.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI