RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic

tarantinofan -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (1/7/2012 2:08:12 PM)

This might seem a bizarre, or rather unique, scenario but I'll ask here anyway because what's to lose?

I can do the graduate diploma in law this September without acquiring any debt (my grandparents sadly all died within the last four years and left some money) and have got into several law schools. I still have time to opt out without losing any money but the deposit. Anyway, I am having second thoughts. I choose to do it originally because of some vague interest in the government legal service, though there are only around 60 training contracts per year, and because it would give me some focus (I've already spent one year out of uni just working and feeling lost). There are also a lot of different areas of law that could be interesting. So my dilemma is do I do this and add it to my CV and boost my credentials (Im not sure it would be a year wasted since its demanding, intensive work) and perhaps go into law, or do I just continue figuring things out (whatever that means) and likely end up doing a retail/admin job for 10 months, which wouldn't help my CV much anyway.

kata -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (1/7/2012 9:19:35 PM)

Got a job interview this week where I have to take in an item that shows I have certain specific qualities. By far the strangest interview I've ever had.

shool -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (2/7/2012 9:55:59 AM)

Start my new temporary job on Thursday. Still looking for something more permament.

kata -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (3/7/2012 2:39:53 PM)

Just had my interview, thought it went pretty well. Will find out next week.

Chief -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (3/7/2012 2:47:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

What did you take in for show and tell?

SWOTBM -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (3/7/2012 3:05:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tarantinofan

This might seem a bizarre, or rather unique, scenario but I'll ask here anyway because what's to lose?

I can do the graduate diploma in law this September without acquiring any debt (my grandparents sadly all died within the last four years and left some money) and have got into several law schools. I still have time to opt out without losing any money but the deposit. Anyway, I am having second thoughts. I choose to do it originally because of some vague interest in the government legal service, though there are only around 60 training contracts per year, and because it would give me some focus (I've already spent one year out of uni just working and feeling lost). There are also a lot of different areas of law that could be interesting. So my dilemma is do I do this and add it to my CV and boost my credentials (Im not sure it would be a year wasted since its demanding, intensive work) and perhaps go into law, or do I just continue figuring things out (whatever that means) and likely end up doing a retail/admin job for 10 months, which wouldn't help my CV much anyway.

I was in a similar situation. Graduated a couple of years ago, took a year out, wasn't sure what to do, worked in an admin job, started a PGCE and it was awful, now I'm just coming up to the end of year exams for the GDL. I hate acknowledging when my parents are right, but time goes by so quickly- I started doing the admin work and before I knew it almost a year had gone by without really accomplishing much (though I had saved up enough to pay my fees).

I have loved the course, equity/land law aside, and have no regrets about doing it. If I could have the time back I would have applied straight out of uni and got some legal experience after graduating. At least if you are starting in September you can get a few months worth of experience to set yourself apart when applying for a contract (downside of law is that it is very competitive).

tl;dr- make a choice quickly, otherwise you just end up wasting precious time (speaking from experience)

tarantinofan -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (3/7/2012 6:17:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

quote:

I was in a similar situation. Graduated a couple of years ago, took a year out, wasn't sure what to do, worked in an admin job, started a PGCE and it was awful, now I'm just coming up to the end of year exams for the GDL. I hate acknowledging when my parents are right, but time goes by so quickly- I started doing the admin work and before I knew it almost a year had gone by without really accomplishing much (though I had saved up enough to pay my fees).

I have loved the course, equity/land law aside, and have no regrets about doing it. If I could have the time back I would have applied straight out of uni and got some legal experience after graduating. At least if you are starting in September you can get a few months worth of experience to set yourself apart when applying for a contract (downside of law is that it is very competitive).

tl;dr- make a choice quickly, otherwise you just end up wasting precious time (speaking from experience)

Will you definitely be doing the LPC? My dilemma I suppose that I may very end up not doing law as a career, that's a very real possibility for me.

SWOTBM -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (3/7/2012 7:05:38 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

Will you definitely be doing the LPC? My dilemma I suppose that I may very end up not doing law as a career, that's a very real possibility for me.

At some point. I'm applying for training contracts atm, but the deadlines are all at the end of this month and my first exam is on the 9th of August :/ If I don't get a contract before the start I'll probably get some (paid) legal experience to go on the CV for next years milkround or if I fail then I will have saved up enough to do the LPC anyway (the college I am doing my GDL with guarantees you a place on the LPC if you pass the GDL).

Do you know, or have an idea, of what you want to do instead of law?

I will say that an understanding of law gives you a fairly unique perspective of everyday issues (imho). So even if you decide to pursue another career I don't think it would be completely wasted.

tarantinofan -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (3/7/2012 10:24:02 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

At some point. I'm applying for training contracts atm, but the deadlines are all at the end of this month and my first exam is on the 9th of August :/ If I don't get a contract before the start I'll probably get some (paid) legal experience to go on the CV for next years milkround or if I fail then I will have saved up enough to do the LPC anyway (the college I am doing my GDL with guarantees you a place on the LPC if you pass the GDL).

Do you know, or have an idea, of what you want to do instead of law?

I will say that an understanding of law gives you a fairly unique perspective of everyday issues (imho). So even if you decide to pursue another career I don't think it would be completely wasted.

Not much of an idea, no. When people ask why I am doing law I can't really give them a convincing answer, it is more of a case of spending the next year doing something productive, developing my credentials, weathering the economic storm (and not spending time and money on something like an MA in history), challenging myself (masochism?) and yeah, partly, not having to make a decision about what I really want to accomplish. Perhaps I will want to do law, but ultimately I don't know just yet.

kata -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (12/7/2012 1:05:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

What did you take in for show and tell?

Got the job!

I took a teddy we got my son from Chester Zoo last year and talked about the year we've had since getting it, been a rough one. Thought I'd fucked it up by being too personal but just got an offer. [:D]

shool -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (16/7/2012 9:34:01 AM)

Congrats Kata.

I've got my second interview for the Job I really want on Wednesday. [sm=w00t.gif]

tarantinofan -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (27/7/2012 12:03:53 PM)

do you guys have a job finding strategy. I find it daunting applying through large sites like the Guardian as I'm sure these jobs get a lot of applications and it's hard to make a cv or cover letter stand out in this respect.

superdan -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (27/7/2012 12:05:54 PM)

Redundancy was made official for me yesterday, so I've got 4 weeks to try and find a job or I'll be one of the statistics. I would be more upset, but since I hate this company with every fibre of my being it feels more like an opportunity [:D]

Sumintelligentguy -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (27/7/2012 12:28:23 PM)

I had an interview last Friday. Find out today if I got it.

The next few hours are going to be me waiting next to my phone. Anxious doesn't even cover it.

Chief Wiggum -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (27/7/2012 12:41:10 PM)

quote:

do you guys have a job finding strategy. I find it daunting applying through large sites like the Guardian as I'm sure these jobs get a lot of applications and it's hard to make a cv or cover letter stand out in this respect.

I use indeed.co.uk and reed.

used the RSS feed feature of both so I get an alert on my browser when a new job is posted based on a few criteria. (anything within 10miles, anything customer service within 25miles, anything IT Support within 40miles)

Tailor your CV to each application; especially if it's a recruitment consultant advertised position - basically copy and paste what they're looking for into your CV. Don't worry too much about the cover letter for recruitment consultants, they'll anonymise and reformat your CV and send it through if you're shortlisted.

That should get you an interview, you're on your own from there.

Spaldron -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (27/7/2012 6:15:23 PM)

Stage one of a three part application/interview process begins on Monday. I wouldn't mind the job as its working from home which'll be nice.

NinjaShortbread212 -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (28/7/2012 3:06:59 AM)

I have high hopes. [:)]

Chief Wiggum -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (7/8/2012 1:06:51 PM)

Just had an e-mail to say I've succeeded at second interview and will receive a formal job offer.

After just over 9 months of actively searching and 2 years since my last formal role in my field, my reaction was akin to this (link)

Skiba -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (7/8/2012 5:55:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

Just had an e-mail to say I've succeeded at second interview and will receive a formal job offer.

After just over 9 months of actively searching and 2 years since my last formal role in my field, my reaction was akin to this (link)

Good stuff mate well done! [sm=happy34.gif] Started my new job yesterday after several months out of work. I was trying to get out of media but had no luck. Have moved into the glamorous world of TV!

And good luck Spalds!

captain jack harknes -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (12/8/2012 11:37:03 PM)

Hello, the company I work for has been bought out and our jobs are more than likely going to move to Leeds in January :( That gives me 5 more salary payments and I'm out!! I live in south Wales where there are NO jobs in my line of work so I'm seriously worried. I've just taken on a 110k mortgage so the job hunt starts here!

tommyjarvis -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (13/8/2012 7:41:59 AM)

Do you not fancy moving to Leeds and renting your flat/house out?

Leeds is reasonably nice for an English city.

captain jack harknes -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (13/8/2012 9:18:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tommyjarvis

Do you not fancy moving to Leeds and renting your flat/house out?

Leeds is reasonably nice for an English city.

It wouldn't really work for me unfortunately - my husbands children are here, as are our friends, family etc. Plus my husbands job. We're really settled where we are.

I found out today I'm on 3 months notice which buys me some more time so will take me to march plus they've announced they're gonna pay an additional 3 month wages on top of redundancy and notice as an incentive not to leave now. This offers some comfort I guess.

I have my first interview in 4 years tomoro which involves a scary 15min presentation :( this whole situation sucks :(

captain jack harknes -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (16/8/2012 1:57:55 PM)

Interview didn't go well :( they're worried about my level of experience!

Hobbitonlass -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (16/8/2012 2:08:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

Good stuff mate well done! [sm=happy34.gif] Started my new job yesterday after several months out of work. I was trying to get out of media but had no luck. Have moved into the glamorous world of TV!

Congrats Chief! [sm=happy34.gif]

Congrats to you as well Skiba,  When I was made redundant last year I decided to look in a different field altogether as had been in the Media since I'd left school.  What I found was it was extremely hard to cross over (even though I am in an IT role and not an actual luvvie role) and am now working in the Media again (but wouldn't change it for anything tbh) [:D]

CJH - My first interview after redundancy was the first in over 20 years!  The first one crashed and burned and it was the worst feeling ever but it was good to get out of the way and learn what interviewers wanted.   Good luck!

superdan -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (16/8/2012 2:33:46 PM)

One week from today and I'll be dole scum for the first time in my life [&o]

kumar -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (16/8/2012 9:08:39 PM)

Good luck to everyone in their interviews and shiz. Does anyone have any advice about finding employment in another country? How would someone start?

Chief -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (17/8/2012 11:17:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Good luck to everyone in their interviews and shiz. Does anyone have any advice about finding employment in another country? How would someone start?

Contact a drug cartel.

Sledge Hammer -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (18/8/2012 11:14:49 AM)

I had been out of work for 2 years when I got my job 5 months ago. My probation period is just about up and the company who hired me is likely to lose their one and only contract. So looks like I might be back on the scrap heap with one weeks notice.

Fortunately, I was aware this might happen so have been going for interviews recently and have a final one on Wednesday, which ironically is to become a recruitment agent! I really can't face being unemployed again.

shool -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (20/8/2012 9:11:14 PM)

Started my new Job today!

Woohoo!

kata -> RE: The Unemployed / Made Redundent / Help each other through it Thread (21/8/2012 12:53:00 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Started my new Job today!

Woohoo!

Congrats, what is it you're doing?

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI