RE: No interest in the London Olympics (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads

Funkyrae -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (3/6/2012 4:51:55 PM)

McDonalds being an official partner of the olympics? Isn't that a bit like smoking being the official medicine to cancer?

Toby Monroe -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (3/6/2012 5:01:28 PM)

I see what you're saying, but I'm gonna say no.

Hood_Man -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (3/6/2012 5:02:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkyrae

McDonalds being an official partner of the olympics? Isn't that a bit like smoking being the official medicine to cancer?

But... but... but... McDonalds sell fruit now! FRUIT!

adambatman82 -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (11/7/2012 11:40:40 AM)

An amazing story is brewing, so I thought I'd give this thread a boost.

Chipgate - http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100170114/london-2012-olympics-mcdonalds-is-watching-you-and-your-chips/

I was quite optimistic about the games earlier in this thread, but I take a lot of that back, having gotten caught up in the whole commercial exercise myself. We had tickets for something there in early August, but decided to cancel after realising that we were being ripped off at every step of attempting to book anything. The train companies aren't running concessionary fares, and hotels were ludicrously overpriced. Even the national express was charging 50+ each way, which is a bit more than the usual 6 it costs me to get to london (I've never normally booked so far in advance either). I just found the whole thing more than a little disheartening.

Skiba -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (11/7/2012 12:14:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

Chipgate - http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchiversscience/100170114/london-2012-olympics-mcdonalds-is-watching-you-and-your-chips/

I was quite optimistic about the games earlier in this thread, but I take a lot of that back, having gotten caught up in the whole commercial exercise myself. We had tickets for something there in early August, but decided to cancel after realising that we were being ripped off at every step of attempting to book anything. The train companies aren't running concessionary fares, and hotels were ludicrously overpriced. Even the national express was charging 50+ each way, which is a bit more than the usual 6 it costs me to get to london (I've never normally booked so far in advance either). I just found the whole thing more than a little disheartening.

I heard about that before. No chips on their own anywhere because the Golden Arches have to be the official 'chip' seller. Not sure how something that's not made from real spuds can be classed as a chip.

You can only buy Heineken beer around the park's radius which will cost 4.40...for a 330ml bottle! Now, I can expect a pint costing that in London (that's the price in my local for a Peroni), but a fucking bottle?

Harry Tuttle -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (11/7/2012 12:33:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Skiba

quote:

I heard about that before. No chips on their own anywhere because the Golden Arches have to be the official 'chip' seller. Not sure how something that's not made from real spuds can be classed as a chip.

You can only buy Heineken beer around the park's radius which will cost 4.40...for a 330ml bottle! Now, I can expect a pint costing that in London (that's the price in my local for a Peroni), but a fucking bottle?

And a bottle of Heineken at that.

Truly vile stuff.

Chief -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (11/7/2012 12:44:33 PM)

quote:

Why only chips? I'd say McD's are better known for burgers no?

elab49 -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (16/7/2012 3:17:05 PM)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/16/london-2012-bus-lost-olympic-village

Do you remember the first series of Twenty Twelve (before many switched off) when their bus gets lost on the way to the Olympic Park?

Stunningly accurate it turns out [:D]

superdan -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (16/7/2012 3:35:27 PM)

Oh God it's all going to be a completely humiliating disaster isn't it? [:(]

MonsterCat -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (16/7/2012 3:39:56 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

And a bottle of Heineken at that.

Truly vile stuff.

Fuck that shit!

PABST BLUE RIBBON!

elab49 -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 1:23:44 AM)

Looking at the TV planner for the Beeb - so BBC 1 and 3 are complete write-offs during the Olympics (dawn to dusk) with chunks of BBC 2 gone as well.

Don't they have any responsibility to people not watching the sport?

Shifty Bench -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 1:26:15 AM)

They're supposed to have but I think their reasoning is- 'everyone loves the Olympics, if you don't- tough!'

elab49 -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 1:28:35 AM)

It does look very like that. I was only looking to see if a programme I'd seen a tiny teaser for was on soon and it was just wall to wall Olympics.

Now it's all digitial, you'd think there was more remit for red button stuff like they do with festivals.

Hood_Man -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 1:33:02 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
Looking at the TV planner for the Beeb - so BBC 1 and 3 are complete write-offs during the Olympics (dawn to dusk) with chunks of BBC 2 gone as well.

Yippee! [:D]

Skiba -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 1:36:55 AM)

quote:

It does look very like that. I was only looking to see if a programme I'd seen a tiny teaser for was on soon and it was just wall to wall Olympics.

Now it's all digitial, you'd think there was more remit for red button stuff like they do with festivals.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of that too, as there's bound to be the 25m pistol shooting clashing with dressage...decisions, decisions! [:D]

Shifty Bench -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 1:38:50 AM)

quote:

They may still do that, don't some events overlap? Or maybe that is why both BBC 1 and Three are showing it. If they are showing the exact same, that is pretty pointless and a waste of airtime.

EDIT: On Wed 25th BBC 3 are showing a football game that BBC 1 aren't (they have normal shows) and on Thurs 26th they are not showing anything Olympics while BBC 1 are.....

elab49 -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 4:56:58 PM)

Looks like it's not just withdrawing 500K unsold football tickets from sale - as well as closing various parts of some of the stadia they are also handing out tons of complimentary tickets to various organsiations in the cities where the games will be played. I've just had e-mails from two sources offering a ballot - they kind of put in bids and get a percentage but this time they seem to have had extra tickets stuffed in their pockets to try and get bums on seats. 

Hobbitonlass -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 5:13:11 PM)

I thought with the BBC launching 48 new channels (24 SD and 24 HD) purely for Olympics they would leave BBC1,2 and 3 alone.  Guess not then.....

Hood_Man -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 5:14:44 PM)

If you get any unwanted tennis tickets I'd be happy to take them off your hands...

Spaldron -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 5:45:30 PM)

The coverage is a joke and its going to get worse, there's going to be literally no channels not showing one of the games. You would think they would just used the red button feature and all those Sky channels. Anyways, bollocks to tv, I'm just going to have to spend the next two weeks watching tons on blu-rays. [:)]

Shifty Bench -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 8:34:25 PM)

We had a staff meeting tonight and everyone moaned that we are just not shifting the Olympic stuff in a small town in Scotland......

Hood_Man -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 8:50:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

We had a staff meeting tonight and everyone moaned that we are just not shifting the Olympic stuff in a small town in Scotland......

Fry all of it in batter.

Shifty Bench -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 8:56:36 PM)

Ugh.

Nice stereoytpical sarcastic remark, though [:D]

Sway -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 9:13:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Fry all of it in batter.

[:D]

Well that made me laugh.

Shifty Bench -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (17/7/2012 9:15:14 PM)

It made me laugh too, I just hate battered food [:D]

NinjaShortbread212 -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (18/7/2012 12:57:50 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

The coverage is a joke and its going to get worse, there's going to be literally no channels not showing one of the games. You would think they would just used the red button feature and all those Sky channels. Anyways, bollocks to tv, I'm just going to have to spend the next two weeks watching tons on blu-rays. [:)]

I'm in! [:D]

Shifty Bench -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (18/7/2012 1:04:10 AM)

I don't watch TV anyway.

So, nothing will be different for me. Except not being able to watch Pointless on iPlayer but they are repeats on just now anyway.

Spaldron -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (18/7/2012 1:16:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

quote:

Yes

Rhubarb -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (18/7/2012 1:17:42 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

quote:

Yes

Wait wait wait, do you guys know each other or something?

Gimli The Dwarf -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (18/7/2012 2:00:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

I thought with the BBC launching 48 new channels (24 SD and 24 HD) purely for Olympics they would leave BBC1,2 and 3 alone. Guess not then.....

Good for the people who can't get those 48 channels!

I go out of my way to avoid sport but the Olympics coverage doesn't bother me at all.

Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI