No interest in the London Olympics (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Mammoth Threads

Tech_Noir -> No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 4:32:16 PM)

Am I alone here?

Rhubarb -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 4:33:04 PM)

Judging by the thousands of people I have heard complain about the Olympics and the seemingly endless articles about how boring it is I have read, I am going to say no.

Tech_Noir -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 4:39:06 PM)

I'm just sick of the coverage, which I know is gonna get worse.

Bob-sleighing, rowing, archery, ping-pong, etc. Very few people care about these "sports" but just because it's the Olympics it's shoved in our faces.

King of Kafiristan -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 4:46:34 PM)

From my vantage point across the pond, my interest extends as far as getting one of those nifty hoodies Clive Owen was sporting in CHILDREN OF MEN - and no farther

EDIT: The mascots are delightful though, I'd never seen an anthropomorphic "neck massager" wear crotchless spandex pants before

JIm R -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 4:48:12 PM)

Don't agree with it at all. Total waste of valuable money on what is a jumped up sports day for two weeks. The money that has been spent could solve a huge amount of issues in this country.

Olaf -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 4:57:25 PM)

I wish they'd spend it on a Royal Yacht or something instead. Now that would be something for the people of Britain to be proud of.

galvatron -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:01:03 PM)

I generally enjoy the olympics but I'm sick of all the hype around the London games.

Personally, I'd rather the money had have been spent elsewhere. I hope to be out of the country during the olympics to avoid all the nonesense.

superdan -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:03:56 PM)

It's win win as far as I'm concerned. If they are a disaster I can say "Nowt to do with me pal, that's the London Olympics.". If they somehow turn out to be a blinding success however, I can say "Wow, we can still put on one hell of a show in this country!".

I'll watch the stuff on telly, but it'll be less to do with it being an Olympic Games held in London and more to do with the fact that I just quite like watching sport all day.

Shifty Bench -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:04:36 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JIm R

Don't agree with it at all. Total waste of valuable money on what is a jumped up sports day for two weeks. The money that has been spent could solve a huge amount of issues in this country.

This.

Timon -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:17:47 PM)

[image]http://wordsaboutthings.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/russia-georgia-volleyball.jpg[/image]

I have interest in the London Olympics

But seriously, like all major sporting events you'll probably watch it or you won't care in the slightest.

I think it's a great 4 year event and if you can't muster an ounce of enthusiasm for a couple of weeks... well, then that's your prerogative. Personally I find it hard to really care that much during the FIFA World Cup especially with everyone going "Oh this is the year England will win". At least the Olympics showcases global talent that have actually been working for most of their lives to reach this point.

Olaf -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:38:48 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Personally I find it hard to really care that much during the FIFA World Cup especially with everyone going "Oh this is the year England will win". At least the Olympics showcases global talent that have actually been working for most of their lives to reach this point.

Errrr footballers also train for many years as well.

Also, on the whole money front - are there any figures for how much money is brought into a country's economy by visiting tourists/athletes, and how it stacks up next to expenses?

JIm R -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:40:38 PM)

Also to consider the amount of debt it leaves a country in as well when it's all over.

Timon -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:41:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Personally I find it hard to really care that much during the FIFA World Cup especially with everyone going "Oh this is the year England will win". At least the Olympics showcases global talent that have actually been working for most of their lives to reach this point.

Errrr footballers also train for many years as well.

Well yes, yes, yes, but international tournaments "generally" aren't their main priority compared to their premier sides and salaries.

You can't really say that about Olympic athletes who strive to represent their country.

Timon -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:41:40 PM)

quote:

Also to consider the amount of debt it leaves a country in as well when it's all over.

Well, we're already a trillion in debt, so what's a couple more billion?

Rebenectomy -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:43:39 PM)

Yeah I pretty much agree with Timon, if it doesn't float your boat then fair dos, but it's something I've always enjoyed, both Summer and Winter games, irrespective of venue.

I can see the arguments against the amount of money being spent and I think the general consensus is that no city has ever really handled the legacy plan all that successfully, so perhaps the age of different country each games should be shelved. Why not hold it in Greece each time? They have the facilities and they could do with the extra revenue, which they would probably profit from if they didn't have to build from scratch.

Hood_Man -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:45:28 PM)

I'm not that interested at the moment because it's still several months away. I will be when it gets closer though [:)]

Scott_ -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:52:46 PM)

I'm interested in the Football and thats about it.

superdan -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 5:57:32 PM)

quote:

Also, on the whole money front - are there any figures for how much money is brought into a country's economy by visiting tourists/athletes, and how it stacks up next to expenses?

I don't have any figures, but I did read an article somewhere which said that the Olympics nearly always turn out to be a substantial loss-maker for the host nation. It also said the FIFA World Cup tends to be profitable, which would perhaps explain the unseemly 'bartering' that goes on to try and win bids to host that particular event.

MonsterCat -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 6:17:53 PM)

Will there be ladies' mud wrestling in this year's Olympics?

Shifty Bench -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 6:24:33 PM)

I'd probably watch that [sm=augen14.gif]

kumar -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 11:47:11 PM)

whinge whinge whinge whinge

Stop being so miserable. The olympics are amazing. A collection of events designed to test some of the most physically able people on the planet. Nothing but spectacle.

kumar -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (27/1/2012 11:51:21 PM)

quote:

quote:

Well, we're already a trillion in debt, so what's a couple more billion?

well what about a few more millions

homersimpson_esq -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (28/1/2012 12:17:16 AM)

quote:

I wish they'd spend it on a Royal Yacht or something instead. Now that would be something for the people of Britain to be proud of.

Unlike your atrocious mangling of the English language. FOR SHAME.

Olaf -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (28/1/2012 12:19:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

quote:

Unlike your atrocious mangling of the English language. FOR SHAME.

I hate England lol

JIm R -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (28/1/2012 12:43:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Stop being so miserable. The olympics are amazing. A collection of events designed to test some of the most physically able people on the planet. Nothing but spectacle.

Yep, I'm sure the hundreds of homeless people we have in this country can't wait either. Wasted millions that could wipe out homelessness in an instant spent unwisely.

Rhubarb -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (28/1/2012 1:38:44 AM)

True fact, all the people moaning about how boring the olympic hype is are way more boring than the olympic hype

chewbacasnapsak -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (28/1/2012 9:04:05 AM)

Building the stadium, the venues and the Olympic village including the extended infrastructure have kept a lot of people employed. Also the Olympic village as I understand it will then be used for social housing.
Don't like it, then don't watch it. What Rhubarb said.

Rebenectomy -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (28/1/2012 9:49:51 AM)

quote:

Yep, I'm sure the hundreds of homeless people we have in this country can't wait either. Wasted millions that could wipe out homelessness in an instant spent unwisely.

While I'm far from overjoyed at the outlay involved in putting on the Games, it's a bit naive and simplistic to think that if the money hadn't been spent on the Olympics then it would have gone straight to helping the homeless or a similar cause. As with almost any big public event or expenditure the money's not amassed in one place, and even if the government had a lump sum equivalent, the chances of it being tailored to a singular long term infrastructure project such as homelessness action is slim.

matty_b -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (28/1/2012 9:56:10 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

Well, it couldn't, that's just a fallacy, really.

And you could say that about anything you don't like, though. You could say that about arts funding, and I bet the non-sporting people here would cry if that all got wiped out to "solve the homeless" problem.

Personally, I'm not a huge sports fan or anywhere near London, but this is probably going to be a once in a lifetime thing. I'll watch it and happily put aside my cynicism.

sharkboy -> RE: No interest in the London Olympics (28/1/2012 10:01:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

quote:

While I'm far from overjoyed at the outlay involved in putting on the Games, it's a bit naive and simplistic to think that if the money hadn't been spent on the Olympics then it would have gone straight to helping the homeless or a similar cause. As with almost any big public event or expenditure the money's not amassed in one place, and even if the government had a lump sum equivalent, the chances of it being tailored to a singular long term infrastructure project such as homelessness action is slim.

Absolutely Reb.  Now I'm not a huge supporter of the Olympics, and totally refute the Government's claim that everyone in the country will prosper from the event (can't see too many Olympic tourists venturing too far from the South East during the two weeks, certainly not as far as Belfast), but the fact of the matter is that if the money hadn't been spent on the Games, it would have simply been divided piecemeal across the block bids for each Department.  It's just as likely - probably more likely given the current guy in No.10 - that the funding would have gone towards Trident or policy research on reducing benefit payments than on alleviating homelessness.

EDIT: And don't forget, a very large part of the infrastructure funding (about 2.2 bn) came from the Lottery, so more a voluntary tax rather than a direct cost to the taxpayer.

Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI