Underworld: Awakening (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews

Empire Admin -> Underworld: Awakening (20/1/2012 6:05:51 PM)

Post your comments on this article

jackcarter -> RE: Underworld: Awakening (20/1/2012 11:34:35 PM)

[:)]

anakin solo -> RE: Underworld: Awakening (21/1/2012 8:26:09 PM)

[sm=fighting03.gif] I liked it and the hybrid and werewolf fight scenes were amazing, but like the other reviews i've read on this. I agree with the fact it was bad to have micheal in the film with him not being played by scott speedman and by a guy who doesn't look or sound like him except from distance shots and him being in hybrid form. I did enjoy that there were more lycans being the dominant species and the super lycan was bad ass but i did find it funny that kris holden-reid played another werewolf like he did in lost girl.
But overall was a great movie but if there is going to be another underworld movie from what happened at the end Len Wiseman really needs to get speedman back for it.

mrmalal -> Way off (21/1/2012 8:39:15 PM)

Without knowing anything about it me and a friend went to see it and we thoroughly enjoyed it. My friend Umesh had seen a review which in its opinion the was the best of the franchise so far, which i disagree on but its not the worst and Kim's review dosent do justice. The script is snappy and what we expect from the series, to the point and without padding a little cliched but I wouldnt expect anymore especially from an action/horror film. The plot is straight forward with the twist which I tbh should have seen coming considering the franchise, although there was a quite a bit of exposition but considering the time since the 2nd one and this its sequel that can be forgiven. The ending was satisfying but leave you wanting more although I had expected something different maybe like Kim. About the 3D its the best since Avatar in my opinion and is expertly crafted along with the rest of the camera work and fitted the series to a tee. Although it could be my jaded view of 3D which seems most of the time has been tacked on to films as an after thought as a money maker rather then filming in it as most 3D films I have seen I have been less then impressed with the 3D. Its not perfect but there isnt much that could be done to make it better.

darkhart -> Kim Newman 1 Star! (23/1/2012 6:29:43 PM)

Seriously where do they dig up these film critics? I'm not about to apologise for the fact that Underworld 4 was great action from beginning to end, and for once the 3D was worth the effort and extra cost. It's not going to win any Oscars, but frankly most films that do are usually boring and sycophantic!

alison2000 -> underworld awakened (26/1/2012 3:16:00 PM)

Usually I agree with what kim newman has to say. However his opinion of this film does not match my own. Granted this is never going to win oscars, but does what many oscar nominated films occasionally fail to do... Entertain. I would recommend this latest installment and it is worth more.than kim's 2 star rating

Vadersville -> RE: underworld awakened (27/1/2012 12:38:59 AM)

Really enjoyed the first two Underworld films. Thought the third was boring and ultimately pointless as we knew the entire story from flashbacks in the first two. This one...well, quite frankly apart from some gory and very slick action was the worst out of the lot. So many glaring continuity issues with the first two films that as someone who was a fan of the franchise I found it really hard to get involved with the story. This film just seemed to shit from a great height over the whole mythos that the previous films created and not only that, but Selene's character development has been reset to how she was in the first film. Plus, when you think about it, nothing actually happened in this film. They ran away from the humans, they hid from the humans, found out the humans were lycans, ran to the lycans. The end. Please, don't make any more!

Vadersville -> RE: underworld awakened (27/1/2012 12:39:05 AM)

Double post

dgribble -> They're learning. (28/1/2012 6:34:32 PM)

I never thought I'd say this after seeing previous entries, but the latest Underworld is actually a pretty good movie...probably the best Vampire movie since Blade II. Although it still has some of the franchises problems, it's managed to shed some as well. For starters the muddled and convoluted pacing of the plot in past entries is gone; the plot's simple enough that it only momentarily takes a small % of viewing time, before dispensing onto the slick and stylistic action. i.e. the entertainment (the only reason you've no doubt went to see this) is delivered without being hampered under by poor story pacing. Also praise to the genius that's made the lines delivered, a bit more passable and less cringe worthy. The performances, although not terrible this time round, are kept contained under all the action; and refused from interfering the movie's enjoyment. Let's face we're not here to see who's been to acting class have we? Although points for India Eisley, she does well hamming it up, and looks a bit hot in hybrid mode. As for the 3D, mixed feelings, it doesn't really jar the viewing of the film (unlike some of the trailers) but it was a neat addition, though I doubt I'll miss when I catch this again. All in all, if like me, and you're bored out of your skull on a saturday and need to kill some time; this is ideal for a night out at the cinema when you want to give your brain a rest and be entertained by vampire movie we should have got with the first one. It's miles better than all the twilight films together (although I've only seen one of those and that was enough.) The Underworld franchise has finally shed the TV pilot feel of the first entry, and the murky DVD quality of the last two; this is a film that deserves a theatrical release; and I'm now genuinely interested in checking out the inevitable sequel.

guitardave -> No normal version? (17/2/2012 11:38:19 PM)

Well I'm having to wait for the blu-ray release, because no cinema in Manchester is showing the normal version, only a 3D version which I have no interest in seeing. And for this privilege, they want me to pay more?!

Really looking forward to the film though, loved the first three.

the film man -> Underworld Awakening Review (4/3/2012 11:37:34 PM)

Even though it's nice to see Kate Beckinsale back in that tight leather outfit again, Underworld Awakening has more action and less story than the previous installments which makes the whole affair feel inconsequential.

silence1 -> (15/6/2012 10:55:02 AM)

This movie is perfect for all vamp and lycan fans out there.The third in the Underworld trilogy and by far better than rise of the lycans, personally there wasn't enough fighting with the lycans and could have been longer than it actually is. The first Underworld is better and most of the time the first of a set of movies is usually better than the sequels. I give this movie a 3. ”

silence1 -> (15/6/2012 10:55:03 AM)

This movie is perfect for all vamp and lycan fans out there.The third in the Underworld trilogy and by far better than rise of the lycans, personally there wasn't enough fighting with the lycans and could have been longer than it actually is. The first Underworld is better and most of the time the first of a set of movies is usually better than the sequels. I give this movie a 3. ”

norgizfox -> Underworld: Awakening (24/6/2012 4:38:55 AM)

Awakening is short enough for the action to overtake the dialogue, but that doesn't mean that the narrative has to be so muddled. It won't gain any new fans to the franchise, but those that are already aboard the Underworld bandwagon will be satisfied.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI