Akira's Been Shut Down. Again. (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Akira's Been Shut Down. Again. (6/1/2012 9:54:06 AM)

Post your comments on this article

Nicky C -> Good! (6/1/2012 9:54:06 AM)

It's a deeply beloved work that would be easy to get wrong, especially if you make the MISTAKE of trying to dilute it for tweenagers. I think the problem is that they're trying to load a franchise (as ever) when they should just be concerned about making a movie that people want to see.

alsybroth -> Y'know what? GIVE ME THE JOB! (6/1/2012 9:57:19 AM)

I'll pen a script for them if they want! I'll keep it hard-R rated, split into 2 films, keep it faithful to the 6-book manga, set it in Neo-TOKYO with Japanese or Japanese-american actors but spoken all in English (if its done in oscar-winning holocaust films, you can do it in science-fantasy flicks, OK?). Right there I've just saved you millions of $$ from expensive A-list actor fees, location fees, saved time on creative decision-making changes, given you 2 flicks for the price of one kept the arseached fanboys happy.

boredbluekoala -> It shouldn't be live action anyway, a CGI update would be a better bet. (6/1/2012 10:24:40 AM)

A film of this scope for $70 million, I don't think that can be done, I mean that awful Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts 'comedy' cost $30 million, and it had no effects, no huge sets, no broad canvas (and no comedy)

Osric -> RE: It shouldn't be live action anyway, a CGI update would be a better bet. (6/1/2012 10:52:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: boredbluekoala

that awful Tom Hanks/Julia Roberts 'comedy' cost $30 million, and it had no effects, no huge sets, no broad canvas (and no comedy)

No but it had Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. Hanks's going rate for work is $15m and Robert's is $10m so that's your budget right there. If they put not superstars in akira that shouldn't be a problem

alsybroth -> RE: It shouldn't be live action anyway, a CGI update would be a better bet. (6/1/2012 10:58:20 AM)

Yeah, but d'ya know what DID have state-of-the-art CGI effects and action sequences, huge sets, broad canvas, heavy themes and hard R-rated violence all for just $30m? District 9. And it was a box-office smash.

Taz69 -> As Professor Farnsworths says in Futurama - (6/1/2012 12:30:23 PM)

'Good news everybody'.
A live action version always a bad idea and amazingly there's a bright spark at Warners saw this and used the 'cancelled for budgetary reasons' excuse.

kitfisto -> (6/1/2012 1:18:19 PM)

GOOD, with any luck this totally pointless remake will never ever been made. This is the best piece of film news i've heard in a long time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dannyfletch -> Boring! (6/1/2012 6:40:12 PM)

This is probably a sign that this idea should be scraped! The pointless mainstream hollywood remakes are getting so tedious now. If you want Akira stick to the original Manga!

Nicky C -> Here here! (7/1/2012 1:29:52 PM)

The recently released Blu Ray/DVD is mint! Just get that ... and then the books if you want to go deeper.

onthemightofprinces -> Still unsure (7/1/2012 11:39:12 PM)

I would like to see a live-action remake of Akira, but I really think an American studio is the wrong way to go. The likes of Night Watch and Death Note have shown that blockbuster-quality films can be made by studios outside Hollywood, so why not let a Japanese studio develop the film, ask them to film it in English, and give them $20mil or so, and I'm sure they'd do a fantastic job and you've got a film you can market in America.

onthemightofprinces -> Still unsure (7/1/2012 11:39:20 PM)

I would like to see a live-action remake of Akira, but I really think an American studio is the wrong way to go. The likes of Night Watch and Death Note have shown that blockbuster-quality films can be made by studios outside Hollywood, so why not let a Japanese studio develop the film, ask them to film it in English, and give them $20mil or so, and I'm sure they'd do a fantastic job and you've got a film you can market in America.

BubbaGump Shrimps -> This could be the best news ever this year!!! (8/1/2012 6:36:57 PM)

Bout time they dropped it. Just look at the "remake" of The Thing!!!
Still, was a little curious on how it would look! It could look amazing, but garanteed, let down by an awful script!

Kickflip -> Well... (10/1/2012 6:15:36 PM)

...it's one less film for Kristen Stewart to mope her way through.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI
3.100586E-02