Some Speculation On The Hobbit Finale (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News

Empire Admin -> Some Speculation On The Hobbit Finale (5/1/2012 10:26:51 PM)

Post your comments on this article

Carne -> Hmm (5/1/2012 10:26:51 PM)

Not exactly sure if I like this. We'll see.

BRob -> Interesting... (5/1/2012 11:01:07 PM)

Possible spoiler based on the original material to cover your eyes if you don't want to know...

...seeing as Tolkien revised the events of The Hobbit as seen in The Unfinished Tales resulting in Galdalf setting things in motion with the dwarfs because he knew Sauron wanted to use Smaug as a weapon and was determined to prevent this from happening. Makes sense then as to why The Necromancer would turn up at the battle.

Jon 79 -> Titbit .... (6/1/2012 1:02:08 AM)

Not 'tidbit'.

jim.pdxus -> ugh. (6/1/2012 4:46:06 AM)

If this rings true, Sir PJ has lost me as a first-night customer; I will wait and learn if this 'spoiler' takes place in some form. If the Necromancer is written in where Tolkien explicitly wrote him out? For me this is too much to bear.

Unfinished Tales was unfinished but the Hobbit was a complete and coherent work. I found it quite entertaining to read alternative story lines but do not want to see them locked in cellulose.

hauntbert -> Thought (6/1/2012 6:10:46 AM)

Cumberbatch might have been talking about the attack on dol guldur and just mispoke!

BelfastBoy -> RE: Thought (6/1/2012 10:33:46 AM)

A few thoughts:

- Given the total vagueness of the quote, it's possible that Cumberbatch isn't a big Tolkien fan and hasn't a clue how significant a poor or mistaken choice of words can be for the rabid fanbase. Or...
- For secrecy reasons, Cumberbatch has only received the portions of the script where he has to voice dialogue, and therefore isn't 100% sure as to the extent of the Necromancer's part in the film(s). (This conjecture may be strengthened if Cumberbatch isn't au fait with The Hobbit novel or Tolkien in general.)
- Jackson & Co showed Sauron with a physical body in LOTR, in the FOTR prologue and also with the intention of having Aragorn fight him hand-to-hand at the end of ROTK. Wisely the latter was excised but it's a clear indication of how they're always trying to give the audience tangible bad guys (exhibit B - the expansion of Saruman in comparison with the novel). Purism / accuracy to the novel aside, it would therefore make sense to expand the role of the Necromancer in The Hobbit, especially after the death of Smaug.

BrooksyTHX1138 -> RE: Thought (6/1/2012 11:26:14 AM)

I think its obvious Benedict isn't a Tolkien fan, unless he's being a piss taker, which isn't a real problem. Neither was Viggo apparently, but his son was.

Possible Spoilers ahead:

Anyhow, if you read some of the Tolkein lore then the whole 'Necromancer' could be interesting. Put simply, its Sauron as a weaker form. He takes over this tower named Dol Guldur (i think, could be wrong) and kidnaps Thorin's (leader of the Dwarves in 'The Hobbit') Dad. He is rescued later by Gandalf, and managed to hand over a map and kry to give to his son. Then snuffs it. This could be quite a cool opening sequence, think the opening of Fellowship, with Gandalf going all espionage. Later Gandalf attacks the Tower at the same time as the attack of Smaug, so Sauron and Smaug cant partner up and drives Sauron to Mordor. So i wouldnt be surprised if they add this to beef up the film too.

End of potential spoilers :D

Cant see why he would be leading one of the five armies though

Spaldron -> RE: Thought (6/1/2012 12:26:58 PM)

I can see it happening, it would make more sense to finally get Sauron physical.

Fingolfin64 -> Necromancer/Aragorn (8/1/2012 4:14:05 PM)

If Sauron appears as the Necromancer (whether leading the Goblin/Warg army or just torturing Thrain in Dol Guldur in some film prelude a-la Last Alliance Battle in LOTR) would it not be too far-fetched to in addition to Galadriel and Saruman appearing in the White Council, to also see Legolas with Thranduil and the Wood elves, the black riders (could the Lord of the Nazgul lead the attack in the Battle of Five Armies as "The Witch King of Angmar" as Gandalf references him in ROTK movie), Gimli, even Aragorn! could be snuck in during a Rivendell scene with Arwen (substitute him for Bard) and last any rumors regarding Beorn? The Eagles? the Mirkwood spiders? the Stone Giants?..I Cannot WAIT for the films! I've been reading Tolkien since 1977 when the Silmarillion was released and am grateful for ANY realizations of Tolkien!

Fingolfin64 -> Necromancer/Aragorn (8/1/2012 4:14:34 PM)

If Sauron appears as the Necromancer (whether leading the Goblin/Warg army or just torturing Thrain in Dol Guldur in some film prelude a-la Last Alliance Battle in LOTR) would it not be too far-fetched to in addition to Galadriel and Saurman appearing in the White Council, to also see Legolas with Thranduil and the Wood elves, black riders (could the Lord of the Nazgul lead the attack in the Battle of Five Armies as "The Witch King of Angmar" as reference him with his title in the LOTR movies), Gimli, even Aragorn! could be snuck in during a Rivendell scene with Arwen (I thought substituting him for Bard might even be plausible) and last anyone hear about rumors regarding the use of Beorn? The Eagles? Shelob's kin: the Mirkwood spiders?the Stone Giants?..I Cannot WAIT for the films! I've been reading Tolkien since 1977 when the Silmarillion was released and am grateful for ANY realizations of Tolkien!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI