RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (Full Version)

All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Bookworms >> The Comic Shack

benmharper -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (18/5/2012 10:02:19 AM)

Issues 8 and 9 finally turned up, along with the bookends

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (18/5/2012 10:27:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: benmharper

Issues 8 and 9 finally turned up, along with the bookends

damn! Prescription service must be slow because issue 11 is already in the shops

EDIT: sorry, SUBSCRIPTION service! [:D]

gavmea -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (18/5/2012 12:16:30 PM)

Signed up around June/July last year and still only have issues 1-4 :(

Sleazy -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (19/5/2012 1:11:47 PM)

dammit, I cancelled mine, recieved a letter saying they no longer have any payment details for me then today issues 4 and 5 turned up along with book ends and mug. I already have bought these from my local store.I have fired off an email saying i dont want them. I am not paying to send them back. Either they send me a pre paid sticker or I'm giving them away.

kata -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (19/5/2012 3:05:28 PM)

I got a mug today, been over a month since I've had anything off them. Had a nightmare getting hold of them on the phone and then out of the blue I get a mug... Going to try phoning them on Monday to see where my issues are.

juanvasquez -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (19/5/2012 3:36:03 PM)

Well I've found out why they couldn't take payment from my direct debit. I decided to see if I could sign up via the website and settle what I owe them. Only to find out that they have down me as paying by cheque [&:] despite the first payment going out by DD. Baffled. But also annoyed that I can't pay online.

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (19/5/2012 7:58:48 PM)

I received issues 8 and 9 and a mug on Thursday. The customer service is firmly established as being fucking horrific so I've just decide to go with the flow and accept the shipments when they come. Buying them instore anywhere is out of the question where I live, WHSmith only stocked the first 4 or 5 issues, so if I want them I have to deal with them direct. It's a pisser but if I want to continue buying them (which I do) it's the only option available.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (20/5/2012 3:10:18 AM)

Damn! A lot of you guys are really get jerked around by these twats! If I was you i'd cancel subscription ASAP and save my insanity! Anyway, my local newsagent always has copies, and even when he run's out (as was the case with X-Men Gifted) he orders more copies in like he did for me. Just find a local retailer and tell him/her you'll be picking a copy up. I think that way lifes much easier and you get to buy your issues on time! As for the free mug and book ends, well I say sod all that!

kata -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (21/5/2012 8:15:46 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata
Going to try phoning them on Monday to see where my issues are.

Issues 5 and 6 just turned up. All is forgiven for a few weeks... [sm=whistle.gif]

russella0 -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (22/5/2012 5:29:24 PM)

Rather than just gaving at my shiny new graphic novels sitting on the shelf I've finally gotten round to reading them and I have to say I'm incredibly impressed with Dark Pheonix. Old comics aren't really my scene so it's not something I would have picked up otherwise.

Looking forward to being pleasantly suprised by other stuff that I didn't think would be my bag :).

SpiderFan86 -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (26/5/2012 3:39:31 AM)

I noticed that my issues seem to arrive around the 15th of every month, I'll see if it continues. Also finally got all my free gifts

Chojin -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (27/5/2012 11:23:53 AM)

Just thought i'd let you know how my experience has gone recently. I received my replacement mug as promised and undamaged (currently being rocked at work). I also received issues 10 and 11 last week.

So i'm completely up to date now and I do tend to receive the 2 issues every month as i'm supposed to....

All of you should be hoping for a picking error on your accounts though as getting a replacement issue sent is easy to negotiate/request and they don't keep tabs on whether returns were received.

Nexus Wookie -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (27/5/2012 2:40:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: russella0

Rather than just gaving at my shiny new graphic novels sitting on the shelf I've finally gotten round to reading them and I have to say I'm incredibly impressed with Dark Pheonix. Old comics aren't really my scene so it's not something I would have picked up otherwise.

Looking forward to being pleasantly suprised by other stuff that I didn't think would be my bag :).

Same here. I've attempted 3 readings of Dark Phoenix. Thankfully i'm halfway through. Although I don't know when i'll start re-reading - maybe around winter time![:D]

I don't want to slate any writers off, but I find Claremont's stuff very boring. Too slow. I did enjoy Wolverine, but thats about it. I cannot see how Chris Claremonet could be a better writer (and better at moulding characters) than Alan Moore (as was suggested by a forum member on here not too long ago). Alan Moore is way fucking better!

Harry Tuttle -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (27/5/2012 4:57:13 PM)

I think Claremont's stuff with X-Men stands alongside anyone elses work personally. It's thanks to Len Wein and him that we have the X-Men as they are, they got cancelled when Stan Lee was writing.

Zzebedee -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (2/6/2012 8:30:45 PM)

I'm with Tuttle, Claremont's xmen run is unparalleled in comics. I can see how his style of writing might turn some people off though.

Dogismo -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (7/6/2012 8:12:48 PM)

does the book fit through the letter box?

i know the first few wont with the extra's

Chojin -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (8/6/2012 7:36:29 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dogismo

does the book fit through the letter box?

i know the first few wont with the extra's

My two issue deliveries never fit through my letterbox, but my letterbox is quite small as not even my contact lens delivery makes it through usually. Luckily my postie has taken to leaving the delivery behind my bin rather than following protocol and filling out a delivery slip, or better yet leaves it with a neighbor.

Dogismo -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (8/6/2012 7:54:37 PM)

thanks do the regular issues fit?

i tried to email them as i had a few questions but i keep getting errors
email system is broke

anyone have there email?

Chojin -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (9/6/2012 7:44:41 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dogismo

thanks do the regular issues fit?

i tried to email them as i had a few questions but i keep getting errors
email system is broke

anyone have there email?

I think i've only ever received one delivery of a single issue and I think it did fit through my letter box but i'm not 100% sure. I think the same packaging may have been used so it didn't make a difference whether it was one or two issues. It's really not worth risking it and you're better off getting them sent to a workplace.

The only reason I don't is because we have constant deliveries in and if someone is new and doesn't recognize my name it could end up in a clients stock which isn't very good for me. It happened before where I had a delivery of DJ equipment which i'd been waiting weeks for and it was booked under a clients stock instead. Luckily I ID'd it and went out to claim my goods!

Dogismo -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (9/6/2012 3:14:21 PM)

thanks for the advice Chojin

saw another forum post about this collection

are people still having issue getting there book? like delays and poor customer service?

Dogismo -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (11/6/2012 11:27:10 PM)

ive subscribed

it said from issue 2

am guessing issue 1 is the free issue?

russella0 -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (12/6/2012 10:40:15 AM)

Hi,

From memory it's issue 2 that's free as issue 1 was at a reduced price.

I've had deliveries of 2 issues on their own and they came boxed - no way in the world they would have fit through the letter box. I don't know if they vary their packaging as if they packed them tight they might fit through but it's unlikely tbh.

The customer service from Hachette is terrible - very slow at replying to email and very slow to answer the phone.

However I think the reason folks are putting up with this is that the graphic novels are of very good quality (hard back and good quality paper and a good intro to past events that effect the story). Also, Smiths etc might not stock issues when the sales start tailing off as the series gets older. You'd probably be ok if you've got a Forbidden Planet or proper comic shop locally.

The free gifts (iif you subscribe pre issue 4 I think) are pretty naff in my opinion.

I think the series was extremely popular at the start which lead to supply issues and very unhappy customers. However I seem to be getting my 2 books per month now so I'm hoping this might have been an initial problem.

As you'll only get 2 books a month from your sub you're going to be way behind what's available in the shops which I find pretty annoying.

Hope this helps, Andy

The Hooded Man -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (12/6/2012 12:30:18 PM)

I cancelled my subscription, I found the service to be pretty appalling. The final straw was waiting until the end of the month to get books that had been in the shops for up to three weeks in some instances. Surely subscribers should be getting some kind of special service, there wasn't even any discounted rates for subscribers.

Dogismo -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (12/6/2012 5:37:56 PM)

thanks for your replies

i was asking them some questions and got this this reply

Dear Dan
Thank you for your email.
Please be advised that the issues will fit in a standard post box, we send out 2 issues every 4 weeks. At the moment we are only able to start new subscribers of at issue number 6, however we will be able to place back orders for issues 1-5 if you require them.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you require further assistance.
Yours sincerely,
Trishan Govender
Customer Care

when i signed up it said from issue 2

suppose al have to wait and see what i get when it comes

then al have to either back order or buy them on ebay

Sleazy -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (14/6/2012 1:08:27 PM)

No, issue 1 was 2.99, issue 2 was 6.99 and issue 3 was the free one.

Free gifts are a bit crap tho the book ends whilst cheap have been handy.

Quality of the books though is spot on, defo worth doing through a Forbidden Planet or Travelling Man.

Dogismo -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (15/6/2012 8:51:18 PM)

got email they confirmed my subscription starts from 2 and my free issue is 3

i have no idea why they wouldnt let me start from 1

suppose al have to get issue one on ebay

kata -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (17/6/2012 1:24:37 PM)

I'm up to issue 9 now, think I'm up to date with when I subbed. I'm not a massive comic aficionado (mint, got to use that word) but I'm going to stick with as I think it'd be something really nice to give my son when he's at the right age. Will read them all personally too ofc.

It's quite a large collection. What do the people in the know think about the selection?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Official_Marvel_Graphic_Novel_Collection

Zzebedee -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (22/6/2012 9:24:29 PM)

I don't know everything on the list but I think overall the selected books are good uns, everything released so far has been good

Sleazy -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (9/7/2012 7:13:16 PM)

Just finished Avengers Forever. Not the best one I've read, story didnt make a lot of sense, it doesnt grip you because of that (even the characters spend most of it wondering what is going on), plus I wasnt familiar with quite a few of the "Avengers" in it.

It was also full of very cheesy Stan Lee dialogue.

uniqueweasel -> RE: Marvel Graphic Novel Collection (25/2/2013 11:50:23 PM)

Hi guys, just found this thread, and wondered how everyone is getting on with their subscription? I'm up to #29 at this point.

Page: <<   < prev  7 8 9 [10] 11   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI